ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhones , ipods

Old 2nd January 2010, 08:02 PM   #1
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Ipod-Touch or Equivalent

I'm thinking about getting an Ipod-Touch, but I was curious if anyone here already owned one (or an equivalent). Any feedback on whether or not to get one, what is good/bad about it, or if there's something else available that is better? Thanks in advance

Last edited by MattusMaximus; 2nd January 2010 at 08:03 PM.
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2010, 08:33 PM   #2
GreNME
Philosopher

I got one for Christmas from my brother a year or two ago (can't remember), and I have to say that I love it. There are enough apps out there that I can treat it like I used to treat a PDA (contacts, notes, reading e-books, playing time-wasters), as well as having a pretty decent mp3 player and mini video player when I want to show someone something. I'm actually working on finding some decent debunking YT videos, downloading the movies (using a downloader/converter), and keeping them on the iTouch to show people when I hear someone I know repeating some woo when I'm out and about. The fact that it can do wifi and through that work as an e-mail client (when wifi is available) makes it a pretty darned good PDA-like mp3 player. I highly approve of it.

As an added bonus, owning the iTouch allows me to see the iPhone apps out there, which has convinced me that the perfect smart phone for me is actually the Droid Eris (or the Droid, if I can ever afford it).

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2010, 08:35 PM   #3
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

I have a Zune HD, which (as I understand) is roughly equivalent to an IPod touch. There are pros and cons; the biggest two cons for the Zune are:
1) A tiny catalog of apps (compared to IPod), and
2) There are zillions of IPods out there, so everything is compatible with IPod.
For example, I got a new car stereo today. The first few I looked at were exclusively IPod-compatible, but I got one with a simple headphone jack input so I could use it with my Zune. When I picked up my car, the woman pulled out her IPod and showed me how it could be plugged in to the USB port . . .

Frankly, I don't feel a real need to control my Zune with my car stereo buttons, so this isn't an issue. And I'm pretty happy with the Zune HD. I'm told that the Zune interface feels awkward to someone who's already familiar with the IPod interface, but it seemed pretty natural to me. In fact, I still haven't gotten around to reading the manual about how the interface is supposed to work.

Now, this will seem weak- but beyond the two serious cons, I know there was a serious pro for the Zune, but offhand I don't remember what it was.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
TheDaver
hairy farting brute

I have an iPod Video so the only relevant information I can really give you is about iTunes/Quicktime. It kinda stinks, but it gets the job done.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:45 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I have an iPhone, which is just like a Touch but with a phone included, and I haven't had need to make a single complaint about it. It's the perfect device for me. YM, of course, MV.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2010, 04:45 AM   #6
AgeGap
Master Poster

My son has an iPod Touch and he loves it. Lots of apps some of which are great and the touch screen and tilt control is good enough. I am not too keen on iTunes though as it is not as flexible as I would like.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I have all of Shakespeare's works on mine!

And ear training and kana quizes...

Yeah, if you want apps, get the touch. Other players will have better options and more control for the format of your videos and junk.
Old 5th January 2010, 09:19 PM   #8
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

I just ordered my I-Touch a couple of days ago, should be in by Friday.

I'm already looking into Apps, but I'm having a helluva time figuring out how I-Tunes works (I've got it on my PC) - I'm trying to organize music and other audio files into different folders and it's making me nuts. Is there any kind of easy tutorial on how to use I-Tunes, sync with my PC, etc?
Old 5th January 2010, 11:36 PM   #9
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

My advice - don't try to wrangle it. Let it do its thing.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet