IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags China-India relations , donald trump , India incidents , Narendra Modi , US-India relations , xi jinping

Old 17th June 2020, 01:00 AM   #41
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Excellent post, mate - from the metaphor to the description of the action.
Thank you...
Old 17th June 2020, 04:03 AM   #42
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
But no shots were fired.

Looks like the Chinese have loaded the front with 14k Triad.
The only reason shots weren't fired is because both sides have agreed not to allow them within (I think) 2km of the border.
I agree, though, that there must be some pretty badass Chinese soldiers there. India is saying 20 of its soldiers were killed, with fists, clubs and stones.
Should it actually come to war, India has no chance at all.
Old 17th June 2020, 04:21 AM   #43
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
The only reason shots weren't fired is because both sides have agreed not to allow them within (I think) 2km of the border.
I agree, though, that there must be some pretty badass Chinese soldiers there. India is saying 20 of its soldiers were killed, with fists, clubs and stones.
The Indian army initially confirmed three casualties, but later said an additional 17 soldiers "exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries." - https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/asia/...hnk/index.html
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 06:11 PM   #44
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I wouldn't be at all surprised if China stacked the local regiment with Kung Fu black belts.
Old 17th June 2020, 10:24 PM   #45
Susheel
Graduate Poster

I would be called a traitor for saying this, but while the Indian army has stayed more or less up to date with regard to weapons and equipment, the "attitude" is still a remnant of its colonial roots. Training methods for soldiers are outdated and have made little or no attempts at modernization since the Brits left. Command structures also reflect the feudal legacy of pre-independent India. This is ok when fighting battles with enemies with a similar legacy, but up against a constantly modernizing and innovating force like China, they are on the back foot.
Old 17th June 2020, 11:08 PM   #46
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I would be called a traitor for saying this, but while the Indian army has stayed more or less up to date with regard to weapons and equipment, the "attitude" is still a remnant of its colonial roots.
That's sound entirely Indian.

Maybe you should arm the troops with cricket bats. And balls.

Hell, go all the way an put them in full batting gear - the pads would come in handy as well.
Old 21st June 2020, 10:42 AM   #47
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Modi has declared that there was NO incursion. But he heaps praise on the brave soldiers of the 16 Bihars who were killed so that his party can use them to win the upcoming Bihar elections.
Meanwhile BJP party workers are going around vandalising shops selling chinese products even as the government coddles major Indian companies with massive chinese investment.
Old 21st June 2020, 11:59 AM   #48
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

That's sound entirely Indian.

Maybe you should arm the troops with cricket bats. And balls.

Hell, go all the way an put them in full batting gear - the pads would come in handy as well.
How amusing.

Except that is pretty much what happened. Given the ban on weapons in the area, both sides improvised all manner of blunt weapons from whatever materials were at hand.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:46 PM   #49
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

We donít know how many Chinese soldiers were injured or died. China isnít saying, but it isnít zero.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:07 PM   #50
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
How amusing.

Except that is pretty much what happened. Given the ban on weapons in the area, both sides improvised all manner of blunt weapons from whatever materials were at hand.
There are some very deadly weapons that are not firearms. For example a two handed sword (as used by King Richard the Lionheart) or long spear (as used by Alexander the Great) would be very deadly.
Old 24th June 2020, 01:58 AM   #51
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'd say the China clash is over - Modi's back to softer targets, like Pakistan diplomats.
Old 24th June 2020, 03:02 AM   #52
Susheel
Graduate Poster

I'd say the China clash is over - Modi's back to softer targets, like Pakistan diplomats.
...and dissenters in India.
Old 24th June 2020, 01:48 PM   #53
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Well of course!

Aren't they permanently on the agenda?
Old 25th June 2020, 03:34 AM   #54
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
That doesn't mean the Chinese have given up, though. They are, I believe, still occupying some 60 square km of Indian territory.
Old 25th June 2020, 11:55 AM   #55
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That doesn't mean the Chinese have given up, though. They are, I believe, still occupying some 60 square km of Indian territory.
38,000 km2, according to India.

China has certainly built some structures in the area over the past few months. It looks a bit like their policy in the SC Sea - build the base and let someone try to remove it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53174887
Old 30th June 2020, 10:11 PM   #56
Susheel
Graduate Poster

In his address to the nation yesterday afternoon, Modi has announced the banning of 59 android apps as India's response to the Chinese incursion.
Old 1st July 2020, 02:01 AM   #57
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

In his address to the nation yesterday afternoon, Modi has announced the banning of 59 android apps as India's response to the Chinese incursion.
It's an odd one - he's picked a target that will cost him votes. TikTok is the fastest-growing App around and an India-only alternative won't give the same reach. I don't see it causing China much harm.
Old 1st July 2020, 03:25 AM   #58
Susheel
Graduate Poster

It won't. However, this is the kind of grandstanding that his fanboys like. Also, the media has now got the terrorist attack in Kashmir to blow up. would be interesting to contrast the government and media responses.
Old 1st July 2020, 11:05 AM   #59
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

China's taken to outright trolling India at the border now - this is hilarious:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/ch...e-63b9054d976b
Old 10th September 2020, 08:43 PM   #60
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

After recent increasing tensions, both parties have kissed and made up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54113306

Very sensible option for both parties. Let's hope it catches on.
Old 26th October 2020, 12:34 AM   #61
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Primary rhetoric of the ruling BJP for the Legislative Assembly elections in the state of Bihar:
1. Vote for us and we will provide the COVID vaccine for free.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/bihar...rBS7vMx0J.html

2. We have already fixed dates for commencing our war with China and Pakistan.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/78856910.cms

3. Opposition parties are resorting to black magic and tantric rituals to kill state BJP leaders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3V9l6kj_A
Old 26th October 2020, 01:38 AM   #62
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Holy crap, it gets madder over there every day!
Old 26th October 2020, 01:06 PM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I bet what happened is some Green Indian or Chinese Second Looey went off course a little and strayed where he should not have gone.
Old US Army Joke when I was in the US Army in the mid 80;s:
The most dangerous weapon in the Soviet Arsenel after nukes is a Green US 2nd Looey with a map and compass...I suspect things have not changed much.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2020, 04:21 PM   #64
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

More than likely.

Although I'd be surprised if Modi didn't drop a suggestion somewhere - Xi had no need to fire anything up, with USA, Taiwan & Hong Kong on the go, while Modi will always look for a chance to play tough guy.
Old 13th December 2020, 10:34 AM   #65
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Mildly interesting development: https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...dntsM6UWK.html
Old 13th December 2020, 02:44 PM   #66
Garrison
Philosopher

Sorry but when a page tells me I need to turn off my adblocker I close the page.
Old 13th December 2020, 03:54 PM   #67
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Here's the important part of the information in it:

Quote:
In the middle of a conflict with China, India has taken a significant step by authorising the defence forces to enhance their stocking of weapons and ammunition for a 15-day intense war now.

The authorisation to increase the weapon and ammunition reserves to minimum 15-I levels from the earlier existing 10-day stocking is to prepare the defence forces for a two-front war with both China and Pakistan.
Appears to come from Indian Government sources.
Old 13th December 2020, 10:18 PM   #68
Susheel
Graduate Poster

A couple of state elections and the current bad press from the farmer agitation, Modi has to show that he still is the "BIG MAN". Apart from the staged photoshoots and speeches at election rallies, Modi has really never spoken about issues. Since his election, Modi has done all of three interviews mainly with sycophantic interviewers asking him questions like what kind of mangoes he likes and whether he likes to suck on them (true story).
Particularly ironic since he and his accolytees constantly harped about how the previous Prime Minister Manmohan Singh never gave interviews, when in fact he gave more interviews to various papers both national and international, and also spoke at international forums with well prepared speeches. He did not spend his tenure as Prime Minister primarily as the propaganda machine for elections.
Old 13th December 2020, 11:25 PM   #69
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

A couple of state elections and the current bad press from the farmer agitation, Modi has to show that he still is the "BIG MAN".
Yeah, I noticed the timing of it when the strikes are happening.

He's certainly learnt the "change the talk" lesson.

.. whether he likes to suck on them (true story).

He certainly sucks on something.

Particularly ironic since he and his accolytees constantly harped about how the previous Prime Minister Manmohan Singh never gave interviews, when in fact he gave more interviews to various papers both national and international, and also spoke at international forums with well prepared speeches. He did not spend his tenure as Prime Minister primarily as the propaganda machine for elections.
So many similarities with his American pal, who spent all 8 years of Obama's presidency crying about how much golf Obama played, then went and doubled it during his term without a shred of shame.

Why do we* keep electing these clowns?

*Pretty sure you and me aren't part of that "we".
Old 14th December 2020, 07:18 AM   #70
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

"We" as in humanity keeps electing clowns because they are skilled in fooling people.
Old 14th December 2020, 04:15 PM   #71
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
"We" as in humanity keeps electing clowns because they are skilled in fooling people.
I don't believe a bar of that. Might be worth a new thread, but from the clowns I'm seeing in action, they're not capable of fooling people and never have been. Their votes are more of a **** you to other people than being sucked in to a whirlpool of nonsense.

Modi's a good example - he's ridden the wave of nationalism that was already running deep through India. He doesn't persuade people, or fool anyone, but he picked up a message that resonates with nationalists, of which there are many.
Old 15th December 2020, 12:45 PM   #72
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I don't believe a bar of that. Might be worth a new thread, but from the clowns I'm seeing in action, they're not capable of fooling people and never have been. Their votes are more of a **** you to other people than being sucked in to a whirlpool of nonsense.
No, no. Not "fooling" in sense they believe promises of these clowns. While there are idiots that actually believe in snake oil (clown oil?), majority as you say want to screw over those they blame for whatever.
And THIS is suicidal foolishness of highest order, because these clowns aren't interested in wellbeing of their electorate any more than in wellbeing of ones hated by them.

My prediction for far future is grim one - democracy is something that is considered not working out. New systems are in place that our culture would consider totalitarian.
Old 15th December 2020, 10:04 PM   #73
Susheel
Graduate Poster

In, India, the message that the BJP has for its followers is simple: Hey, it's ok to be casteist and hate non-Hindus. We are bringing back our glorious Hindu patriarchal "traditions".
The secular promises of development and progress are just talking points to be thrown at the non-acolytes.
Old 15th December 2020, 10:20 PM   #74
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

In, India, the message that the BJP has for its followers is simple: Hey, it's ok to be casteist and hate non-Hindus. We are bringing back our glorious Hindu patriarchal "traditions".
Exactly mirroring Trump, Erdogan, China, and Russia, where things like blackness and gayness are often met with death, or worse.

Even in UK now, Johnson and Brexiteers built their movement on nationalism, racism and the exclusion of non-Britishness.

It does look like a world going backwards. One step forward, two back.
Old 25th January 2021, 02:01 AM   #75
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Looks like the border isn't as settled as it might have appeared: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55793112

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics