IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alexei Navalny , Russia incidents , Russia issues , Russia politics , vladimir putin

Old 10th March 2020, 02:01 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Putin: Will He or Won't He?

In a surprise move, the Duma has proposed a mechanism to re-set Vlad's presidency to zero, allowing him another 16 years at the top, if he wants it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...er-russia-2024

Putin has reluctantly decided he will have a go, if the people want him to stay, so the obvious answer is to hold a referendum on the issue.

In what will clearly be an honest and free vote, I can't wait to see the results.

All Hail Emperor Vladimir I!

What a selfless chap this bloke is. We could all take a leaf out of his book and be more giving of ourselves.

I'm going to bet $5 he stays on as President.

Any takers?
Old 10th March 2020, 02:06 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't take sucker bets.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 02:13 PM   #3
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Shhh! I didn't expect you to, but there must be some people who think he'd turn down the opportunity to make himself and his pals another few hundred billion.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:15 PM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
In a surprise move, the Duma has proposed a mechanism to re-set Vlad's presidency to zero, allowing him another 16 years at the top, if he wants it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...er-russia-2024

Putin has reluctantly decided he will have a go, if the people want him to stay, so the obvious answer is to hold a referendum on the issue.

In what will clearly be an honest and free vote, I can't wait to see the results.

What a selfless chap this bloke is. We could all take a leaf out of his book and be more giving of ourselves.

Any takers?
Nah, he has said if the russian constitutional court says it is legal he will stay. That translated from Putin language means "you will say it is legal".
Old 10th March 2020, 03:06 PM   #5
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Nah, he has said if the russian constitutional court says it is legal he will stay. That translated from Putin language means "you will say it is legal".
Yes, quite.

He's a murdering, thieving, conniving despot of the worst kind, but I can't help admiring his style.

No worrying about bad press, nor elections, and no challengers.

It's little wonder he's Trump's hero - he's everything Trump wishes he could be.
Old 10th March 2020, 03:30 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This is what happens when you have a constitution that can be rewritten and changed at will.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 03:39 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, quite.

He's a murdering, thieving, conniving despot of the worst kind, but I can't help admiring his style.

No worrying about bad press, nor elections, and no challengers.

It's little wonder he's Trump's hero - he's everything Trump wishes he could be.
Putin answers to worse masters than Trump ever will.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 04:24 PM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That would be Tsar Vladimir IV, Comradde! Or Vladimir I, depending on where you count from.

I was wondering about this the other day and looked him up to see if he has any sons to succeed him. He does not, that we know of.
Old 10th March 2020, 04:27 PM   #9
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Any takers?
This sort of reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Krusty the Clown bet on the Washington Generals to beat the Harlem Globetrotters.
Old 10th March 2020, 04:54 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That would be Tsar Vladimir IV, Comradde! Or Vladimir I, depending on where you count from.

I was wondering about this the other day and looked him up to see if he has any sons to succeed him. He does not, that we know of.

He has some daughters/future Czarinas though, so we could still have a Putin dynasty.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th March 2020, 04:56 PM   #11
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
This sort of reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Krusty the Clown bet on the Washington Generals to beat the Harlem Globetrotters.
Exactly!

Worth a lazy fiver, surely?
Old 10th March 2020, 04:59 PM   #12
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Ain't no way he's having a lousy IV after his name - it's I or nothing. Bit like William Jefferson Blythe III.
Old 11th March 2020, 02:45 AM   #13
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Come now that is positively a sensible bet in comparison, as it happened 3 times. In 54, 58 and 71.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 05:03 PM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

AP Newswire: https://apnews.com/1bc1532d515550bb40df29ff9652e264

Quote:
MOSCOW (AP) — Russian lawmakers on Wednesday rapidly rubber-stamped sweeping constitutional changes that could keep President Vladimir Putin in power until 2036.

If Putin won and completed two more terms as president, it would make him the ruler of Russia for 36 years — longer than any other leader in its modern history.

The measure must still be approved by the country’s Constitutional Court and by a nationwide vote next month before they come into force. Putin’s critics called for protests, condemning the move as a way to keep him in office after he hits his term limit in 2024.

The Kremlin-controlled lower house, the State Duma, endorsed a set of amendments to the Russian Constitution and a provision that resets the term count for Putin once the revisions come into force. It passed the chamber by a 383-0 vote with 43 abstentions, and several hours later sailed through the upper house, the Federation Council, by a vote of 160-1 with three abstentions.

It is unclear when the Constitutional Court will rule, but a nationwide vote on the proposed amendments is set for April 22.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 05:10 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Let's face it:The Russians just cannot conceive of a government without a dictator in charge.
The Germans eventually learned, but the Russians seem to very slow learners.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 05:14 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Where's Yeltsin, now that we need him? Dead, I expect. Must look him up.
Old 11th March 2020, 05:18 PM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Quote:
sailed through the upper house, the Federation Council, by a vote of 160-1
Someone's a rebel!

I hope they have their funeral planned out already.
Old 11th March 2020, 05:58 PM   #18
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Let's face it:The Russians just cannot conceive of a government without a dictator in charge.
The Germans eventually learned, but the Russians seem to very slow learners.
Nailed, utterly nailed.

There's obviously some freak DNA in Russians that makes them love a strongman leader. I forget who it was I first read that analysis by, but it's true.

Where's Yeltsin, now that we need him? Dead, I expect. Must look him up.
Bloody right, dirty, conniving, alcoholic moron.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Someone's a rebel!

I hope they have their funeral planned out already.
No, it's just Vlad making sure it's not unanimous to prove that dissent is fine.

Ensures dissenters stay out in the open, where he can see them.
Old 11th March 2020, 07:24 PM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

No, it's just Vlad making sure it's not unanimous to prove that dissent is fine.

He's going to let a hundred flowers bloom...
Old 12th March 2020, 01:19 AM   #20
Tolls
Philosopher

If he gets to 36 years that'll put him just behind Peter The Great, but still a way behind Ivan the Terrible (if you include his time as head honcho of Moscow, pre-Russia existing). They'd probably have to pickle him to beat Ivan.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 03:33 PM   #21
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

You assume he cares what will happen to Russia after his death.
Old 17th March 2020, 12:13 PM   #22
Lennart Hyland
Muse

I'm sorry to say that I'm longing to hear that Putin is no longer walking this earth... good riddance.

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2020, 12:17 PM   #23
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I think you'll be waiting for quite some time - he's only 67 and pretty fit. He could conceivably be there for another 30 years or more.

Mahathir & Mugabe both ruled into their 90s.
Old 17th March 2020, 12:28 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
You assume he cares what will happen to Russia after his death.
I think that's a reasonable assumption. He's only human, after all.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:54 PM   #25
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think that's a reasonable assumption. He's only human, after all.
Evidence?
Old 18th March 2020, 03:08 PM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Evidence?
Yes. Tons. Not a single bit of it contrary, as far as I know.
Old 21st March 2020, 02:15 AM   #27
llwyd
Muse

Well, he will go on and on, the Supreme Leader of the Great Sov.., sorry, Russian nation. And why not - it even took only a couple of dismissive statements by him to stop the Corona virus in its tracks. At this very moment life in Russia is totally normal, so good for them.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 04:42 PM   #28
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He has some daughters/future Czarinas though, so we could still have a Putin dynasty.
I very much doubt Putin would try to push them into public office.

Rather I predict he'll appoint an FSB goon or trusted Kremlin insider, perhaps a United Russia loyalist to take his spot, if he hasn't already behind closed doors. Once a KGB man, always a KGB man. Can't trust people outside the circle.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:55 AM   #29
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Nailed, utterly nailed.

There's obviously some freak DNA in Russians that makes them love a strongman leader. I forget who it was I first read that analysis by, but it's true.

Bloody right, dirty, conniving, alcoholic moron.

I remember a few years ago when it was revealed his staff authored protesters' rants, and hired actors to play the role of hostile journalists interrupting press conferences. The idea being to give the impression there was free speech. The nation's actual journalists having been beaten within an inch of their lives, if not outright murdered by then.
Old 1st July 2020, 05:33 PM   #30
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

All Hail Emperor Vladimir the Great II!

Overwhelming support from the voters - in a completely free and fair vote, of course.

Takes him through to age 83, and I'm sure he can add a few more on if he feels like carrying on at that stage.

You know who's watching this with interest!
Old 1st July 2020, 09:13 PM   #31
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Of course he won, after all, when there is only one choice you always vote for the winner!
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 10:16 PM   #32
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Opposition leader Alexey Navalny is taken to a hospital from a flight, which had to make an unscheduled stop for that. His spokesperson says he was poisoned. He also got mysteriously ill last summer while in prison.
Old 20th August 2020, 12:33 PM   #33
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Opposition leader Alexey Navalny is taken to a hospital from a flight, which had to make an unscheduled stop for that. His spokesperson says he was poisoned. He also got mysteriously ill last summer while in prison.
He sounds sickly. Maybe allergies, or just bad genetics. Too bad, really.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 12:44 PM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
If he gets to 36 years that'll put him just behind Peter The Great, but still a way behind Ivan the Terrible (if you include his time as head honcho of Moscow, pre-Russia existing). They'd probably have to pickle him to beat Ivan.
I'd include his time pre-Russia, on the principle that it's one continuous administration that expanded its dominion during the course of its existence.
Old 20th August 2020, 12:49 PM   #35
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

"Who will rid me of this turbulent opponent?"

Bingo!

Tea & strychnine, Alexei?
Old 20th August 2020, 12:51 PM   #36
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Look, it's nothing to worry about, just like the 'falling out of windows' disease critical doctors in Russia have caught. Uncle Putin knows what's best.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 02:56 PM   #37
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Look, it's nothing to worry about, just like the 'falling out of windows' disease critical doctors in Russia have caught.
That's one of those things that's both horrifying and hilarious.

How can you seriously expect anyone to believe three doctors fell out of windows and died?

Answer: Putin doesn't expect anyone to believe and doesn't give a flying crap. Nobody in Russia is going to challenge him, and nobody outside will either.

He is by far the Alpha male of Planet Earth c. 2020 AD. The perfect oligarch.
Old 21st August 2020, 04:48 AM   #38
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
According to the hospital treating Navalny, he has a metabolic condition triggered by low blood sugar levels.

Well, at least it isn't sluggish schizophrenia.
Old 21st August 2020, 10:49 AM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
According to the hospital treating Navalny, he has a metabolic condition triggered by low blood sugar levels.

Well, at least it isn't sluggish schizophrenia.
They were originally saying he couldn't be transfered to a German hospital, but now. apparently he can be. Which means the damage is done.
Old 21st August 2020, 12:25 PM   #40
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
They were originally saying he couldn't be transfered to a German hospital, but now. apparently he can be. Which means the damage is done.
Or alternatively, whatever he had in his system is gone by the time they land in Berlin.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics