IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ouija boards

Old 29th June 2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Yeah_Right
Muse

The flying planchettes

I was watching P&T's BS on Youtube concerning the Quija boards and someone in the comments section asked, "But what about the planchettes that fly off the board by themselves?". I answered that such incidents might have been faked. Well he wasn't having that and even called me a moron, wow, those woos get so emotional. So that wasn't an adequate answer, what would you posed and an explanation for the flying planchette phenomena? My apologies if I have spelled that word incorrectly.

CEO_ESQ:"Something about pyramids seems to cause a shutdown of critical faculties in certain people."
Yeah_Right is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Sir Robin Goodfellow
Master Poster

I'd say a lot of the times it never happened at all, real or fake. I suspect they're mostly friend-of-a-friend stories.
Sir Robin Goodfellow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 11:39 AM   #3
caniswalensis
Master Poster

I would tend to agree with Sir Robin.

I have never seen a flying planchette personally. It is a Hollywood sort of thing and I suspect it is a case of people building on their story after the fact.

Regards, Canis
caniswalensis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 11:45 AM   #4
sadhatter
Philosopher

I can do a flying planchette and a twisting ouija board. Two tricks i had to learn in order to prove to myself that they could be done.

Seeing as most ouija board stuff is done in the dark its rather easy, get a long clear strip of tape and put it on your forearm before the seance. At one point when someone is talking take it off, being careful it doesn't stick to itself. Next time you use the planchette get the sticky end facing up under one of the nubs. Then when pressure on the planchette is low, give a yank ( holding the tape with either your other hand, or by sticking the tape to a knee depending on the way things are going.). I guarantee that the falling off of the table will be exaggerated into full on flight in the stories.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Would make a good band name.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 11:53 AM   #6
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Do the planchettes fly out from under the fingertips, or do they supposedly just fly all by themselves?

If the former, then "flying planchettes" probably happen the same way as "moving planchettes."
Old 29th June 2010, 11:53 AM   #7
TheDoLittle
Disco King Discombobulator

Originally Posted by Yeah_Right View Post
I was watching P&T's BS on Youtube concerning the Quija boards and someone in the comments section asked, "But what about the planchettes that fly off the board by themselves?". I answered that such incidents might have been faked. Well he wasn't having that and even called me a moron, wow, those woos get so emotional. So that wasn't an adequate answer, what would you posed and an explanation for the flying planchette phenomena? My apologies if I have spelled that word incorrectly.
Shame on you!!!

You've hung around in this forum long enough to know that debating ANYTHING in YouTube comments are akin to kindergartners arguing "Who has the coolest Hot Wheels" in the schoolyard's sandbox. It's cute at first, the debate usually consists of paint schemes and accessories, but eventually a fight breaks out and someone winds up eating whatever the cat left in the corner... and it's usually the kid who isn't fighting. We won't even get into what happens when some pre-schooler brings a "Matchbox" car.

Please go to your bookshelf and remove one skeptical book of your choice and beat yourself on the back of your head until you have sufficiently learned your lesson. If it is taking too long and/or your arm is tired, you may request one or more friends come over and do it for you. Remember, don't allow them to chose the tome as we wouldn't want that hardcover, autographed, large-print, 1st edition of "Why People Believe Weird Things" to get all messed up, now would we?
America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week. - Evan Esar / No one can earn a million dollars honestly. - William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925) / If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

Last edited by TheDoLittle; 29th June 2010 at 11:54 AM.
TheDoLittle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It's like the book that "flew" off the shelf, or the beer glass that "flew" off the table. Exaggeration, misinterpretation of events, or sometimes out and out lying.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 12:10 PM   #9
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
It's like the book that "flew" off the shelf, or the beer glass that "flew" off the table. Exaggeration, misinterpretation of events, or sometimes out and out lying.
Yeah, one time i used the twisting board trick and twisted the board about a quarter turn. Later on this story mutated into the board spinning very slowly 8 times. It is the best part about trying to fool believers, they want to be fooled and do a lot of your work for you.

Ironically when i gave up the ghost on the joke ( pun intended) i was accused of lying and denying a paranormal event.

There is nothing paranormal about a piece of fishing line.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 12:34 PM   #10
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Yeah, one time i used the twisting board trick and twisted the board about a quarter turn. Later on this story mutated into the board spinning very slowly 8 times. It is the best part about trying to fool believers, they want to be fooled and do a lot of your work for you.

Ironically when i gave up the ghost on the joke ( pun intended) i was accused of lying and denying a paranormal event.

There is nothing paranormal about a piece of fishing line.
It's sad that "fun things you can do to freak out your kids" work on adults.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 12:53 PM   #11
Naddig74
Has a Rucksack

Hey! The Flying Planchettes would make a...

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
Would make a good band name.
D'oh.
Naddig74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 01:41 PM   #12
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Naddig74 View Post
Hey! The Flying Planchettes would make a...

D'oh.
They wouldn't be very cool in France
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 05:33 PM   #13
Yeah_Right
Muse

Originally Posted by TheDoLittle View Post
Shame on you!!!

You've hung around in this forum long enough to know that debating ANYTHING in YouTube comments are akin to kindergartners arguing "Who has the coolest Hot Wheels" in the schoolyard's sandbox. It's cute at first, the debate usually consists of paint schemes and accessories, but eventually a fight breaks out and someone winds up eating whatever the cat left in the corner... and it's usually the kid who isn't fighting. We won't even get into what happens when some pre-schooler brings a "Matchbox" car.

Please go to your bookshelf and remove one skeptical book of your choice and beat yourself on the back of your head until you have sufficiently learned your lesson. If it is taking too long and/or your arm is tired, you may request one or more friends come over and do it for you. Remember, don't allow them to chose the tome as we wouldn't want that hardcover, autographed, large-print, 1st edition of "Why People Believe Weird Things" to get all messed up, now would we?
You're absolutely right of course. when I do post there part of me thinks I should know better since these people are never going to change no matter what arguments I use. I posted about the Phoenix Lights being flares, but I ended that debate rather quickly. Now I'll get my copy of Why People Believe Weird Things and beat some sense into me. Too bad that doesn't work on believers.

CEO_ESQ:"Something about pyramids seems to cause a shutdown of critical faculties in certain people."
Yeah_Right is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Yeah_Right
Muse

Incidentally the chap that responded to me on youtube said that I should take P&T with a grain of salt since they're money hungry. Though I dare say I won't ask him what evidence he has for that assertion since I have now sworn off posting on paranormal topics on youtube.

Old 29th June 2010, 05:47 PM   #15
Yeah_Right
Muse

Originally Posted by ExMinister View Post
Do the planchettes fly out from under the fingertips, or do they supposedly just fly all by themselves?

If the former, then "flying planchettes" probably happen the same way as "moving planchettes."
He gave me the impression that it just flew off the board. I really don't know if he was using the Quija board alone or with others who had it mind to trick him into thinking that something paranormal happened.

Old 30th June 2010, 08:16 AM   #16
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Just my observation here, but...

Depending on the style of planchette, this could be rather simple. Many of them, especially in teh mass-market boards, are plastic and stand on little legs. It's been a while, but I believe the legs are not on the outside edge of the planchette, but set in just a bit. This allows for someone to apply downward pressure to the edge of the planchette and "flip" it into the air. Since these plastic ones aren't exactly heavy to begin with, I see this as likely (assuming no outright hoax). Especially if you have, for example, four people on the planchette, and three happen to let up pressure at the same tiem the fourth is applying pressure.

Just a thought
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal