IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ideomotor effect , ouija boards

Old 5th July 2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Paradox74

A Christian defends the paranormal powers of the ouija board

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FftxiVzfFvs

I haven't had time to watch this yet so I figured that this might hold interest to the folks here at JREF.

Posts and comments are welcome.
Paradox74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 04:02 AM   #2
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Got about 4 minutes in... religious hogwash!
Old 6th July 2011, 04:57 AM   #3
Cainkane1
Philosopher

True, so true. On the rare occassions when I hear xtians discussing the quija board its dangerous because you might be talking to a demon or some such drivel.
Old 6th July 2011, 05:03 AM   #4
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

When I was a Christian (don't worry, I got better) it was 'occult' and therefore verboten to even talk or think about.

Then when I went through a neopagan phase (don't worry, I got better), I was told that Ouija boards would usually only contact elementals - which in this paradigm were almost mindless malicious spirits that appeared only to exist in order to **** with people.
Old 6th July 2011, 05:11 AM   #5
caniswalensis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
True, so true. On the rare occassions when I hear xtians discussing the quija board its dangerous because you might be talking to a demon or some such drivel.
Almost everyone I have ever talked to who believes in ghosts also subscribes to some version of that believe.
"...The chief deficiency I see in the skeptical movement is its polarization: Us vs. Them -- the sense that we have a monopoly on the truth; that those other people who believe in all these stupid doctrines are morons; that if you're sensible, you'll listen to us; and if not, to hell with you. This is nonconstructive. It does not get our message across. It condemns us to permanent minority status." - Carl Sagan
caniswalensis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

I have not watched the video.

When I was younger, there were tales told in church that Ouija boards had genuine supernatural powers ... but that they were "of the devil." Thereafter followed all sorts of anecdotes about people being instructed by the evil boards to do weird things. (One of the anecdotes involved a young woman being told that she should move to a faraway land, where she would have a child, and she should name the child Jesus. Seriously.)

It never seemed to occur to anyone to try to track down the stories for validity, or better yet, to put the whole damned thing to a test. Could a Ouija board actually produce information that was not known or knowable, but that could be subsequently verified? Such tests ARE possible, and one was dramatized in Arthur C. Clarke's novel, "Childhood's End."

As I matured, it seemed to me that the response of many religious organizations to supposed supernatural things--whether they be Ouija boards or seances or witchcraft or psychics--was all wrong. It seemed to me that such things were evil because they were false things that were dishonestly held out as true, with the intent to deceive and defraud. Put another way, they were evil because they didn't work. But the religious organizations held that such things were evil for a different reason. They were evil because they DID work, but the source of their power was [reverb] SATAN! [/reverb]

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of fundies are sort of "stuck" with believing in the occult, as after all such things are mentioned in the bible.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
A lot of fundies are sort of "stuck" with believing in the occult, as after all such things are mentioned in the bible.
Yeah, and there's also the very slippery slope that comes with applying critical analysis to things. If you apply logic and the scientific method to "satanic" things and find them to be utter hogwash, what is to stop you from applying those same tools to things that are said to be "of the Lord," like speaking in tongues, angels, faith healing, etc.? What if you find out that those phenomena are also hogwash?

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Stray Cat
Philosopher

What people tend to forget is that the Ouija Board was designed by the Kennard Novelty Company as a simple board game.
http://www.museumoftalkingboards.com/ouija.html
Old 6th July 2011, 07:09 AM   #10
Paradox74

And that William Fuld, the designer of the Ouija Board, had education in arts and mechanics (not exactly the requirements of an occult guy now is it?). Oh, and he died some 30 plus years after designing that game.

For crying out loud, King Tut's curse killed Lord Carnarvon in less than 6 months. SIX MONTHS!

This got me thinking however. Are there actual tricks that can be used on the Ouija Board to produce seemingly paranormal results? If so, then we should start another thread. I'm thinking of one involving some dice, a confederate and a wooden table to signal, with knocking, the sum of the value on a pair of six sided dice.

Last edited by Paradox74; 6th July 2011 at 07:12 AM.
Paradox74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Paradox74 View Post
This got me thinking however. Are there actual tricks that can be used on the Ouija Board to produce seemingly paranormal results? If so, then we should start another thread. I'm thinking of one involving some dice, a confederate and a wooden table to signal, with knocking, the sum of the value on a pair of six sided dice.
I can think of one where the person rolling the dice could be on the end of a phoneline and the board could still predict the number to be rolled (in front of an audience).
Old 6th July 2011, 07:52 AM   #12
philkensebben
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
What people tend to forget is that the Ouija Board was designed by the Kennard Novelty Company as a simple board game.
I wonder if an evil demon told them it would make them alot of money Damm you helpful evil spirit!
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 08:06 AM   #13
caniswalensis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
Great link!

I understand your statement to be partially true. I am picking nits here, but i think this paticular nit has a point to it. The first talking board was patented by Kennard in the 1800's.

The first patented board was designed by a man named Elijah J. Bond. No one knows where he got the idea, but it is in the realm of possibility that his design was inspired by previously exsisting talking boards born out of the spiritualist movement of the 1800's.

While it is true that that talking boards are often sold as games, the design & origins are from a time when many people very earnestly believed in the ability of such devices to serve as a conduit to the spirit world. I do not believe it is valid to dismiss these devices simply because someone patented it under a certain description.

In fact there is a pretty clear evolution from the spiritualist practice of automatic writing to the talking board. People were doing these things as serious pursuits long before anyone thought of getting a patent & cashing in.

A talking board either can facilitate communication with spirits or not. I donít think it matters if some call it a game.
"...The chief deficiency I see in the skeptical movement is its polarization: Us vs. Them -- the sense that we have a monopoly on the truth; that those other people who believe in all these stupid doctrines are morons; that if you're sensible, you'll listen to us; and if not, to hell with you. This is nonconstructive. It does not get our message across. It condemns us to permanent minority status." - Carl Sagan
caniswalensis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 08:30 AM   #14
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by caniswalensis View Post
The first patented board was designed by a man named Elijah J. Bond. No one knows where he got the idea, but it is in the realm of possibility that his design was inspired by previously exsisting talking boards born out of the spiritualist movement of the 1800's.
I understand that Bond got the idea because the company were already producing novelty Planchettes. He simply added a pre printed board for the "automatic writing" to be easier to read.
Old 6th July 2011, 09:14 AM   #15
dafydd
Banned

For crying out loud, King Tut's curse killed Lord Carnarvon in less than 6 months. SIX MONTHS!

In the 1970's one of the last surviving members of the dig died and the headlines said 'King Tut's Curse Strikes Again'.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 11:16 AM   #16
Paradox74

Also, where are the warning labels for these games? If they WERE so dangerous, they should be regulated with warning labels and whatnot like guns and alcohol. Yet Ouija Boards get a free pass.

Secondly, how often do you hear about a crime that involved ouija boards? Hardly any. How about crimes involving alcohol or drug abuse? More than I can count, that's for damn sure.

Seriously, IF there is a devil I doubt that he will be wasting his time with a mass produced cardboard game.
Old 6th July 2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Scientific explanation of the occult powers of the Ouija Board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLWs2WMClx4

ETA: It's worth to watch for the ending and the subtle digs throughout.

Last edited by Garrette; 6th July 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 01:49 PM   #18
caniswalensis
Master Poster

Seriously, IF there is a devil I doubt that he will be wasting his time with a mass produced cardboard game.
And that is why, if there was a devil, that's exactly what he would do!
Old 6th July 2011, 11:00 PM   #19
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Then when I went through a neopagan phase (don't worry, I got better), I was told that Ouija boards would usually only contact elementals - which in this paradigm were almost mindless malicious spirits that appeared only to exist in order to **** with people.
Aren't they BASTARDS? Living in the pantry and sucking up all the hamburger grease while I tried to sleep? Bouncing around the basements to entertain the cats while I tried to sleep? Cuddling their sticky, moist bodies around my feet while I tried to sleep?

Hmmmm, there might be a pattern here: they don't want me to sleep.

My wife claims one that is vaguely cat-shaped came down the stairs pissing and moaning about Nancy Reagan when her mother was visiting. I smile and nod.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 09:33 PM   #20
Paradox74

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Scientific explanation of the occult powers of the Ouija Board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLWs2WMClx4

ETA: It's worth to watch for the ending and the subtle digs throughout.
That video reminds me of some of those Blue Collar TV skits. I laughed out loud at the "22 kids" quote.
Old 9th July 2011, 07:11 AM   #21
Js1981
Scholar

Do a simple experiment I did as a child:

Play it while observing the movement. Yes, it gives amswers even to things you consiously didn't know.

Blindfold yoursel and let one person to write answers down.
Yes, it gives a random mumble as an answer.

The problem is that all question you supposly don't know the answer for, you know the answer really in your subconciousness. F.e parents realtives names etc.
The question you make still makes perfect sense.

Has anyone tried 3rd person play to check the validity.
F.e ask someone to play for you in other location and txt your questions- all answers wrong or a mumble again if blindfolded.
Js1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2011, 08:07 AM   #22
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Brown View Post
Yeah, and there's also the very slippery slope that comes with applying critical analysis to things. If you apply logic and the scientific method to "satanic" things and find them to be utter hogwash, what is to stop you from applying those same tools to things that are said to be "of the Lord," like speaking in tongues, angels, faith healing, etc.? What if you find out that those phenomena are also hogwash?
Yes. Occult phenomena are a problem for religious types, to deny them outright calls into question their own beliefs in the invisible world, as you say, so the usual course is to blame them on evil spirits. This of course leads to further difficulties because now you have more than one (god) invisible entity that can interact with humans. Churches usually solve this problem by fiat simply declaring that the occult is off limits.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal