IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Black Panthers , Bradley Schlozman , department of justice , Eric Holder , J. Christian Adams , Malik Zulu Shabazz , minutemen , racism charges , voter intimidation

Reply
Old 21st July 2010, 05:17 AM   #361
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
It is amazing to me at how obsessed our culture is to this day over the color of ones skin. I thought this Thomas Sowell article correct. Many hoped that electing Obama to the presidency would once and for all lead to a new post racial era. Instead we are going to become a more divided nation than before the election.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnal...ack-Obama.aspx
Wow, that was one of the most misleading examples of partisan spin I've ever seen by someone who's ostensibly a respected intellectual conservative.

Sowell is far better than this, and I'm disappointed that he's stooping to churn out Cal Thomas-level drabble like this.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 05:27 AM   #362
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism
 
GrouchoMarxist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
Wow, that was one of the most misleading examples of partisan spin I've ever seen by someone who's ostensibly a respected intellectual conservative.

Sowell is far better than this, and I'm disappointed that he's stooping to churn out Cal Thomas-level drabble like this.

What exactly did you find misleading?
__________________
I can't believe that having said what I said was interpreted as having been what I said when I said it, because I said it where I said it, when I said it, and who I said it to. Only in America!
GrouchoMarxist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 06:45 AM   #363
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
What exactly did you find misleading?
For one thing, where he says "Some critics of the Tea Party have seized upon banners carried at one of its rallies that compared Obama with Hitler and Stalin. Extreme? Yes. But there was nothing racist about it, since extreme comparisons have been made about politicians of every race, color, creed, nationality, ideology and sexual preference.", as if that one sign comparing Obama to Hitler and Stalin was the one and only bad sign ever carried at any Tea Party rally, and that's the sole reason people are decrying racism in the Tea Party organization.

Why does Sowell conveniently neglect to mention the sign discussed in this thread, which uses an explicit and vile racist slur, and was carried at a Tea Party by a Tea Party organizer who runs the website TeaParty.org? Or how about this sign? Or this one? Or this one? Or all of these?

The fact that he then goes on to accuse Ben Jealous of "race card fraud" (in Sowell's own words) because of that borders on an attempt to rewrite reality to suit political preferences that would make J. Christian Adams proud.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 12:36 PM   #364
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism
 
GrouchoMarxist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
For one thing, where he says "Some critics of the Tea Party have seized upon banners carried at one of its rallies that compared Obama with Hitler and Stalin. Extreme? Yes. But there was nothing racist about it, since extreme comparisons have been made about politicians of every race, color, creed, nationality, ideology and sexual preference.", as if that one sign comparing Obama to Hitler and Stalin was the one and only bad sign ever carried at any Tea Party rally, and that's the sole reason people are decrying racism in the Tea Party organization.

Why does Sowell conveniently neglect to mention the sign discussed in this thread, which uses an explicit and vile racist slur, and was carried at a Tea Party by a Tea Party organizer who runs the website TeaParty.org? Or how about this sign? Or this one? Or this one? Or all of these?

The fact that he then goes on to accuse Ben Jealous of "race card fraud" (in Sowell's own words) because of that borders on an attempt to rewrite reality to suit political preferences that would make J. Christian Adams proud.
Well, I'll just say this for now - Sherrod and Pickering were both unfairly labeled racists. The charge has been used as a weapon for way too long, and I agree with Dr. Sowell when he says that it's getting worse, not better.
__________________
I can't believe that having said what I said was interpreted as having been what I said when I said it, because I said it where I said it, when I said it, and who I said it to. Only in America!
GrouchoMarxist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 12:52 PM   #365
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
Well, I'll just say this for now - Sherrod and Pickering were both unfairly labeled racists. The charge has been used as a weapon for way too long, and I agree with Dr. Sowell when he says that it's getting worse, not better.
Yes, but his particular complaint is like decrying the problem of overzealous prosecutors putting too many innocent people on trial for murder when the evidence doesn't support that, and then using the OJ Simpson trial as your example. Sure, the problem described may exist, but the example used completely undermines your point.

The accusation in the linked column that Jealous is fraudulently charging racism in this case means that Sowell is horrifically ignorant about the situation at best (and so shouldn't be trusted to write about the topic period) and actively misleading about the facts of the matter in order to score political points for his side at worst.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 01:21 PM   #366
The Charnel Expanse
Muse
 
The Charnel Expanse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 944
I really don't know what to make of Sowell. He's written some really brilliant books on race relations and the evolution of the African American community, but in every single column I've read of his, he reduces himself to the level of generic right-wing hack.
The Charnel Expanse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 02:14 PM   #367
YoPopa
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,484
Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
Why does Sowell conveniently neglect to mention the sign discussed in this thread, which uses an explicit and vile racist slur, and was carried at a Tea Party by a Tea Party organizer who runs the website TeaParty.org? Or how about this sign?
He neglected to respond to a JREF thread! Maybe he was limited in how many words he could write in that column?

Quote:
You've linked to about 1.23 MILLION images. Throw enough mud and expect some to stick. That's been the lib's strategy against the tea party for some time now. Oh that and actually infiltrating rallies to sabotage and degrade the message with their own slander.

Or did you actually look at all those images and determine that the majority were racist? Yeah, right, like I even have to ask.
Quote:

The fact that he then goes on to accuse Ben Jealous of "race card fraud" (in Sowell's own words) because of that borders on an attempt to rewrite reality to suit political preferences that would make J. Christian Adams proud.
Sowell made a good case for his point, you have not.
YoPopa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 02:24 PM   #368
YoPopa
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,484
Originally Posted by The Charnel Expanse View Post
I really don't know what to make of Sowell. He's written some really brilliant books on race relations and the evolution of the African American community, but in every single column I've read of his, he reduces himself to the level of generic right-wing hack.
Instead of playing the "generic right-wing hack" card why don't you get specific and argue with what he says?

The man is brilliant, affable and humble. I've never heard him say or read a word he wrote that I could argue with.
YoPopa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 02:29 PM   #369
The Charnel Expanse
Muse
 
The Charnel Expanse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 944
Quote:
A quadrupling of the national debt in just one year and accepting a nuclear-armed sponsor of international terrorism such as Iran are not things from which any country is guaranteed to recover.

Just two nuclear bombs were enough to get Japan to surrender in World War II. It is hard to believe that it would take much more than that for the United States of America to surrender — especially with people in control of both the White House and the Congress who were for turning tail and running in Iraq just a couple of years ago.

Perhaps people who are busy gushing over the Obama cult today might do well to stop and think about what it would mean for their granddaughters to live under sharia law.
Source: http://article.nationalreview.com/39.../thomas-sowell

Now, I don't know about you, but to me this is pretty much interchangeable with the ravings of a cartoonish NeoCon lunatic like Frank Gaffney.

Sowell is clearly a man of intelligence, but to me there's no question that he debases himself to appeal to the Limbaugh/Hannity demographic.
The Charnel Expanse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 03:14 PM   #370
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
It is amazing to me at how obsessed our culture is to this day over the color of ones skin. I thought this Thomas Sowell article correct. Many hoped that electing Obama to the presidency would once and for all lead to a new post racial era. Instead we are going to become a more divided nation than before the election.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnal...ack-Obama.aspx
I have no idea who these people are who hoped that Obama would usher in some "post-racial" age, whatever that means. I fully expected racists to lose their minds, march around in the streets, and openly peddle conspiracies that have no basis other than their paranoid fear of black people.

1) Letting go the NBPP and the dude not holding a baton was, by all evidence, the decision of senior lawyers at the DoJ, and had nothing at all to do with Holder or Obama. The only link there is that the above are all black, and many people have a bizarre idea that black people want revenge on America (eg. Rush Limbaugh). And what's more, the decision was based on the difficulty of such cases, and the complete lack of evidence against the NBPP in general.

2) Crowley was wrong to arrest Gates for yelling at him. The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial court has repeatedly ruled against this sort of arrest, due to the obvious conflict with free speech rights.

3) Is there any actual evidence that Sotomayor is biased against white people? "Look at this one case!!!" is not all that convincing.

4) The NAACP calling out the racist elements in the Tea Parties is justified. Based not only on the obviously racist signs brought to these rallies, The Tea Party Express' embrace of a fool that writes about how lazy black people are, Tancredo's pining away for Jim Crow-era provisions, Breitbart's use of doctored footage in a feeble counterstrike, and so forth.

I have no idea how we're "more divided" now, or how this is somehow Obama's fault. Limbaugh and Pat Buchanan been peddling openly racist tripe for more than a decade now. The GOP has spent a lot of time vote caging and using other methods to disenfranchise black voters. And FOX News has constantly invited on the New Black Panthers for interviews, despite the fact that they're a minor fringe group. So where's this amazing new divide?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 03:25 PM   #371
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by YoPopa View Post
He neglected to respond to a JREF thread! Maybe he was limited in how many words he could write in that column?
Maybe that's why I specified the sign discussed in the thread, rather than the thread itself, perhaps?

If your aim in posting is to show how I'm wrong and how you (and Sowell) are right, you're not off to a very good start here.

Quote:
You've linked to about 1.23 MILLION images. Throw enough mud and expect some to stick. That's been the lib's strategy against the tea party for some time now. Oh that and actually infiltrating rallies to sabotage and degrade the message with their own slander.
Actually, I linked to a JREF thread that contained one picture of a racist sign carried at a Tea Party rally (and carried by a guy who was not and had never been a "lib"). I then linked to three other individual pictures of racist signs carried at a Tea Party rally. I also linked to a Google Image Search where the entire first page of results was all of racist signs carried at Tea Party rallies.

Sowell claimed that Ben Jealous was playing the race card fraudulently because there was one sign at one rally that didn't even have anything to do with race. He was wrong. And even more than that, he was egregiously wrong in a way that could be easily discovered by a few seconds' worth of research, and yet he went ahead and made that foolish and false claim in his column anyway.

Quote:
Or did you actually look at all those images and determine that the majority were racist? Yeah, right, like I even have to ask.
Do you deny that the image linked in the JREF thread, the individual images I linked to, and all the images on the first page of results on that Google Image Search link have a) a racial component to them and b) were taken at various Tea Party rallies, thus making Sowell's claim either astoundingly ignorant or intentionally fictional?

Or do I even need to ask?

Quote:
Sowell made a good case for his point, you have not.
I can't help your (or Sowell's) refusal to deal with reality. You're just going to have to keep believing that the facts have a liberal bias, I guess.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2010, 08:55 AM   #372
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-back-to-life/

Quote:
EDITORIAL: Black Panther case roars back to life
New evidence undermines Justice Department spin

… snip …

September 20, 2010

Thomas E. Perez, assistant attorney general for civil rights, is in big trouble. The public-interest group Judicial Watch yesterday released a 62-page index of documents regarding the New Black Panther Party voter-intimidation case that undermines the credibility of Mr. Perez and of the Department of Justice under Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.

… snip ...On May 14, Mr. Perez swore under oath before the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights that there was no "political leadership involved in the decision not to pursue this particular case any further than it was" and that it was only "a case of career people disagreeing with career people."

… snip …

Rather than cooperate with requests for more information, the Justice Department claimed that all its documents related to the Black Panther case were "privileged." A court ordered it to provide Judicial Watch a list of withheld documents with an explanation for each "privilege" asserted. … snip … By our count, Deputy Associate Attorney General Sam Hirsch, not only a political appointee but previously a top, cutthroat election attorney for the national Democratic Party, sent or received 58 e-mails about the case. … snip …

At least a dozen of Mr. Hirsch's e-mails went back and forth up the chain of command to Associate Attorney General Thomas J. Perrelli, not down to people that the department now calls "career employees" (who themselves at the time were filling political positions). The list also shows that Deputy Attorney General David W. Ogden was involved by contributing "current thoughts" on the matter. The office of Attorney General Holder was kept in the loop as well. These are all political appointees.

… snip … For now, this much is clear: The department's claim that political appointees were not involved in the case appears to be false.
Isn't lying under oath a crime?

Or only in republican administrations?

BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2010, 10:46 AM   #373
Tricky
Briefly immortal
 
Tricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 43,290
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-back-to-life/



Isn't lying under oath a crime?

Or only in republican administrations?

A conservative newspaper reports that a conservative "watchdog" group announces it has found problems in the ruling and they call this "roaring back to life"? Why am I not surprised? Let us know when this rocks the foundations of government.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2010, 12:15 PM   #374
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Hmmm
What is the first word in the Title of the article?

EDITORIAL
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2010, 02:03 PM   #375
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
A conservative newspaper reports that a conservative "watchdog" group announces it has found problems in the ruling and they call this "roaring back to life"? Why am I not surprised? Let us know when this rocks the foundations of government.
Oh oh ... even reuters is now reporting this ...

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS1...10+PRN20100920

Quote:
Political Appointee Involved in Obama Justice Department Decision to Drop Black Panther Case According to Documents Disclosed to Judicial Watch
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2010, 02:34 PM   #376
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,586
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Oh oh ... even reuters is now reporting this ...

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS1...10+PRN20100920



Nice try, but that's a press release from Judicial Watch, not a Reuters report. Note the "PR Newswire" bit, not to mention "Source: Judicial Watch" at the end.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2010, 03:03 PM   #377
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Nice try, but that's a press release from Judicial Watch, not a Reuters report.
Who wrote it is not the issue. Reuters is reporting it.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2010, 03:08 PM   #378
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,586
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Who wrote it is not the issue. Reuters is reporting it.
Um, no. It's a press release, not a news article. Reuters is not reporting it, Judicial Watch is. The fact that you can view JW's press release through Reuters' web site does not mean that Reuters is reporting it. It merely means that you can look up press releases on Reuters' web site.

When you see an article that actually has Reuters as the author of the article, then you can say that Reuters is reporting it.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2010, 03:48 PM   #379
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,863
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Who wrote it is not the issue. Reuters is reporting it.
Reuter's reports what any nitwit with a public position says, if the person is considered an important figure in shaping public opinion.

They will report what Newt or that orange-skinned freak from Ohio say, for crying out loud. That gives this crap not a bit more credibility.
__________________
No civilization ever collapsed because the poor had too much to eat.

Last edited by leftysergeant; 21st September 2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typos
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2010, 06:12 PM   #380
Tricky
Briefly immortal
 
Tricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 43,290
It doesn't matter if the freakin' New York Times prints it. It is still a report from a "Conservative Judicial Watchdog Group". Until somebody official re-opens this case, it is just a CJWG doing what CJWD's do: Complain about court decisions they perceive as liberal. Maybe technically this is "news", but it is certainly less important than the daily Horoscope. They print that in a lot of papers too.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 02:22 AM   #381
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,863
Originally Posted by YoPopa View Post
You've linked to about 1.23 MILLION images. Throw enough mud and expect some to stick. That's been the lib's strategy against the tea party for some time now. Oh that and actually infiltrating rallies to sabotage and degrade the message with their own slander.
Paranoid much?

Quote:
Or did you actually look at all those images and determine that the majority were racist? Yeah, right, like I even have to ask.
Most of them suggest racism, some just blurt it out.
__________________
No civilization ever collapsed because the poor had too much to eat.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:02 AM   #382
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Who wrote it is not the issue. Reuters is reporting it.
Well, it does speak to their credibility.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:42 AM   #383
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
http://biggovernment.com/mroman/2010...lack-panthers/

Quote:
New information about the violent criminal history of the Philadelphia Black Panthers once again calls into question the Department of Justice handling of this racist hate group.

Records obtained from the Philadelphia Courts document arrests for assault, robbery, domestic violence, and drug dealing by King Samir and Jerry Jackson.

According to one of his victims, King Samir does more than intimidate voters with his baton. He beat the man in the head with the same type weapon he was seen brandishing outside of a Philadelphia polling place in 2008.

The beating, in 1995, was so severe the man was hospitalized and appeared in court with staples still in his head.

… snip …

How could DOJ overlook this when they dismissed the charges against the Black Panthers? The Department’s trial team surely would have introduced evidence of the fact that Samir had beaten people senseless with the same type of weapon he used at the polls in 2008. Surely this was evidence that he was a true intimidating force.

… snip …

Jerry Jackson’s first encounter with Police was in 1978 when he and another man stabbed and robbed a victim in Philadelphia. Jackson was convicted and sentenced for Robbery and Criminal Conspiracy, both first-degree felonies. Jackson has also been arrested and served time for dealing drugs in the same neighborhood where he serves as a Democratic Precinct Committeeman.

Since becoming infamous for intimidating voters, Jackson and Samir have taken to posting photos of themselves posing with handguns. See here, here, here, and here. A felony firearm charge can be brought against a convicted felon who is found in possession of a firearm, regardless of the intended or actual use of the weapon. Certainly DOJ must be aware of these photos. Why haven’t they pursued charges under 18 U.S.C. 922 against Jerry Jackson? Is he getting a pass on gun charges too?
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:39 AM   #384
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Quote:
Since becoming infamous for intimidating voters, Jackson and Samir have taken to posting photos of themselves posing with handguns. See here, here, here, and here. A felony firearm charge can be brought against a convicted felon who is found in possession of a firearm, regardless of the intended or actual use of the weapon. Certainly DOJ must be aware of these photos. Why haven’t they pursued charges under 18 U.S.C. 922 against Jerry Jackson? Is he getting a pass on gun charges too?
And the evidence that they are not replicas is?
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:46 AM   #385
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
So, this makes you even angrier at Bush and Bush's Attorney General Mukasey for not filing criminal charges against the NBP members and instead only pursuing a civil injunction that Obama's Attorney General Holder asked to extend, right?
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:10 PM   #386
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
And the evidence that they are not replicas is?
And the evidence that they are replicas is? Shouldn't the DOJ investigate? Since is would be a serious crime if they weren't replicas.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:27 PM   #387
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,863
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
And the evidence that they are replicas is? Shouldn't the DOJ investigate? Since is would be a serious crime if they weren't replicas.
You gave us a Breitbart article. Now we have to clean and sanitize our eyeballs.
__________________
No civilization ever collapsed because the poor had too much to eat.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:24 PM   #388
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,998
Perhaps we'll soon discover why the anti-white Bush administration avoided pressing charges.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:36 PM   #389
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Weak. This would be better if there were any actual evidence that political appointees made any major decision, rather than inquiring into the status of the case, or asking for justification of decisions. The actual Judicial Watch info available at this time is really no better, breathtakingly describing how Rosenbaun sent Hirsh a chain email with information, which isn't really Hirsh making any decision. (notice that the Reuters report is, in reality, a link to Judicial Watch's press release, via PR Newswire, which reprints press releases.)

The fragments from Big Government you give are simply of no relevance - not that I would trust Andrew Breitbart as far as I could throw him in the first place. When you get caught serially hawking heavily edited videos, and then lying about the contents of the edited videos, As Breitbart did during both the ACORN and Sherrod incidents, you're basically untrustworthy.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:49 PM   #390
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,586
More from the Reuters PR Newswire:

Quote:
U.S. Nuclear Weapons Have Been Compromised by Unidentified Aerial Objects

PR Newswire
WASHINGTON, Sept. 15

Ex-military men say unknown intruders havemonitored and even tampered with American nuclear missiles
Group to call on U.S. Government to reveal thefacts
WASHINGTON, Sept. 15 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Witness testimony from more than 120 former or retired military personnel points to an ongoing and alarming intervention by unidentified aerial objects at nuclear weapons sites, as recently as 2003. In some cases, several nuclear missiles simultaneously and inexplicably malfunctioned while a disc-shaped object silently hovered nearby. Six former U.S. Air Force officers and one former enlisted man will break their silence about these events at the National Press Club and urge the government to publicly confirm their reality.

That's right, BAC, the aliens are coming! Reuters is reporting it!
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:47 AM   #391
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
And the evidence that they are replicas is? Shouldn't the DOJ investigate? Since is would be a serious crime if they weren't replicas.
So who should investigate what evidence of a crime? When were the pictures taken?

__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:55 AM   #392
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...100879044.html

Quote:
Maitreya Rael Predicts Imminent Wave of UFO Sightings Throughout China

Maitreya Rael, founder and leader of the International Raelian Movement, announced in a statement released today that a UFO that appeared over the Hangzhou airport, forcing authorities to close that facility, is "just the beginning of a huge wave of UFO apparitions that will appear starting now all over China."

"These UFO s are the vessels used by the Elohim, our creators from space who were described in all ancient Chinese traditions, and who a long time ago had children with the Chinese," Rael said. "That's why the Chinese call themselves 'children from the sky.'"

He added that the Elohim wish to have an embassy built to officially welcome them back to Earth, and they would like it to be build in China.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:12 AM   #393
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
So who should investigate what evidence of a crime? When were the pictures taken?
More to the point ... when did the pictures, regardless of when they were taken, become public knowledge?

BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:22 AM   #394
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/bombshe...se-…-tomorrow/

Quote:
Bombshell: Defying DOJ Instructions, Christopher Coates Will Testify Friday on New Black Panther Case

Told by the Department of Justice to ignore a subpoena from the Civil Rights Commission, former Voting Section Chief Coates has instead chosen to comply. His testimony Friday morning is likely to be incredibly damaging to DOJ leadership and the Obama administration.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:25 AM   #395
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
More on that:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/coates-...inglepage=true
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:45 PM   #396
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,863
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Like the opinion of a partisan hack appointed to a position by a dimbulb and rejected by the grown-ups is evidence?

__________________
No civilization ever collapsed because the poor had too much to eat.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:00 PM   #397
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
More to the point ... when did the pictures, regardless of when they were taken, become public knowledge?

Both are relevant, so when did they get posted , and by whom?

So when does Breibart say the photo was taken?
http://biggovernment.com/mroman/2010...lack-panthers/
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 23rd September 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:43 PM   #398
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
So when does Breibart say the photo was taken?
Well, duh ... the date on the image (apparently from the camera) would suggest 1998.

Now these two photos were apparently posted by "King" Samir Shabazz himself:

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...ent=014_9A.jpg

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...ent=021_2A.jpg

And the image info tab indicates the photos were taken in 2005. Or perhaps that's just when Mr Shabazz scanned them from his personal photos. Hard to know. Presumably, Mr Shabazz entered that date information. Maybe the FBI should ask him about them?

Notice all the other photos with guns are on that webpage too.

Now these photos:

http://www.verumserum.com/media/2010/07/gun7.jpg

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/t...rty/NBPP-3.jpg

show Shabazz and Jackson, guns in hand, in front of a poster advertising the New Black Panther Party's Jena 6 Rally. That rally took place in 2007. So if Breitbart is correct about the law, then Mr Jackson clearly committed a felony, assuming the guns were real. Again, maybe the DOJ should ask him.

BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:47 PM   #399
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,998
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Well, duh ... the date on the image (apparently from the camera) would suggest 1998.

Now these two photos were apparently posted by "King" Samir Shabazz himself:

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...ent=014_9A.jpg

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...ent=021_2A.jpg

And the image info tab indicates the photos were taken in 2005. Or perhaps that's just when Mr Shabazz scanned them from his personal photos. Hard to know. Presumably, Mr Shabazz entered that date information. Maybe the FBI should ask him about them?

Notice all the other photos with guns are on that webpage too.

Now these photos:

http://www.verumserum.com/media/2010/07/gun7.jpg

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/t...rty/NBPP-3.jpg

show Shabazz and Jackson, guns in hand, in front of a poster advertising the New Black Panther Party's Jena 6 Rally. That rally took place in 2007. So if Breitbart is correct about the law, then Mr Jackson clearly committed a felony, assuming the guns were real. Again, maybe the DOJ should ask him.

So one must wonder why the Bush DOJ failed to go after them. Another clear example of the anti-white racist Bush administration.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 06:44 PM   #400
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
So why the DOJ? Where were the photos taken?
The local PD would be the first to investigate? No?
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.