IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ouija boards

Old 12th February 2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Paradox74

So, what do you think of my youtube video?

I made a short PowerPoint presentation describing several experiments that one can try out to test the paranormal powers of the Ouija Board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3bvX8ToTg

Now, since this is my first video, I want honest opinions about it.
Paradox74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Chucky
Critical Thinker

Am I having a problem or is there no sound with the video? I'm not having a problem with my sound in any other case.

Assuming that you don't, you really need to get a mic and do some kind of voice over. Or at least put some rousing music behind it. Silent videos went out in the twenties.

Otherwise you need to give people about twice the time to read what you wrote. They need to read it and then think about what they read for a moment to visualize it. I'm a fairly fast reader and couldn't get through half of those. No one is going to stop the video to catch all that. They'll just go to another youtube video.

Once it's presented in a manner that's easy to catch then I can give you an opinion about what it is you are proposing.
Chucky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2011, 06:41 PM   #3
shandyjan
Master Poster

Good points, but most people don't like to read something outside of a blog. It does need slowing, I couldnt read it all before it moved on either.
Old 12th February 2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Senex
Philosopher

The first problem with your video is it lacks female nudity. You lost my attention right from the start. This is the internet is it not? How about audio?

Your second effort will undoubtedly be better.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Assuming that you don't, you really need to get a mic and do some kind of voice over. Or at least put some rousing music behind it. Silent videos went out in the twenties.
Do you not have a piano player in the corner of your room who plays along with suitable music to silent movies?
Old 12th February 2011, 09:20 PM   #6
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Some good pointers, but perhaps Youtube isn't the best place to present information in this way, or this isn't the best way to present information via Youtube.

If you do want to use Youtube, I suggest less text, more bullet points, and perhaps an actual video demonstration of what you are recommending.
Old 12th February 2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Paradox74

I fully understand that there's no sound at all in the video. I didn't want to add music due to fear of violating copyright laws and all of that. There are many youtube videos that have music in them, but (correct me if I'm wrong on this) that doesn't mean that it's 100% okay since there are also videos of television shows and movies which, I'm pretty sure, is in violation of some of youtube's policies.

A good point about the length of time for each slide and I might look into that in the near future.

As far as posting my material on blogs, well...I do not know where to start.
Paradox74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2011, 01:32 AM   #8
Kuko 4000
Graduate Poster

If you want to keep it as it is, you should at least add a voice-over.

Pixie of key: "HOW IS YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT I AM GIVING LECTURES ON A PROBLEM."
Kuko 4000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2011, 01:51 AM   #9
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paradox74 View Post
As far as posting my material on blogs, well...I do not know where to start.
www.blogger.com
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2011, 05:23 AM   #10
Stray Cat
Philosopher

I fully understand that there's no sound at all in the video. I didn't want to add music due to fear of violating copyright laws and all of that. There are many youtube videos that have music in them, but (correct me if I'm wrong on this) that doesn't mean that it's 100% okay since there are also videos of television shows and movies which, I'm pretty sure, is in violation of some of youtube's policies.
Music copyright is a strange one with YouTube.
I have designed, produced and edited videos for record companies and put the promotional videos on YouTube (as requested by the record company) and the YouTube automatic tune detector has stripped the soundtrack off it.
Just recently, I have noticed several messages appearing on the 'Your Videos' (that's my videos of course, not yours) page that say things like "Matched third party content detected" and "this video blocked in some regions".
Although it probably is a breach of copyright in some cases with some of my videos, YouTube are happy to add an advert for iTunes on your page asking people watching your video to buy the tune that you have used.
ETA: As in this cheap and cheerful advert I did the other week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUeRyx4EgmU
Which also shows how much life you can put into a video that is made up from only photographs and words.

Ways to prevent this are:
Buy the karaoke version of what ever song you choose from iTunes and use it as an instrumental version only*
Find copyright free material, public domain sound tracks
Get any sound editing software and use the 'sample' or 'demonstration' track to mix your own version

* Using a karaoke track is probably still a copyright issue technically, but no one cares because the karaoke industry is completely evil!

Last edited by Stray Cat; 13th February 2011 at 05:27 AM.
Stray Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2011, 07:19 AM   #11
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
Music copyright is a strange one with YouTube.
I have designed, produced and edited videos for record companies and put the promotional videos on YouTube (as requested by the record company) and the YouTube automatic tune detector has stripped the soundtrack off it.
Just recently, I have noticed several messages appearing on the 'Your Videos' (that's my videos of course, not yours) page that say things like "Matched third party content detected" and "this video blocked in some regions".
Although it probably is a breach of copyright in some cases with some of my videos, YouTube are happy to add an advert for iTunes on your page asking people watching your video to buy the tune that you have used.
ETA: As in this cheap and cheerful advert I did the other week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUeRyx4EgmU
Which also shows how much life you can put into a video that is made up from only photographs and words.

Ways to prevent this are:
Buy the karaoke version of what ever song you choose from iTunes and use it as an instrumental version only*
Find copyright free material, public domain sound tracks
Get any sound editing software and use the 'sample' or 'demonstration' track to mix your own version

* Using a karaoke track is probably still a copyright issue technically, but no one cares because the karaoke industry is completely evil!
Female nudity may have precluded all of these problems.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
Female nudity may have precluded all of these problems.
And no doubt some spanking of old Romanian witches bare asses?
Old 13th February 2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Senex
Philosopher

And no doubt some spanking of old Romanian witches bare asses?
No doubt
Old 13th February 2011, 12:34 PM   #14
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Forget female nudity, where does Paradox74 go to buy those oranges that strip off on demand for the camera?
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 23_Tauri View Post
Forget female nudity...
What planet are you posting from?
Old 13th February 2011, 02:49 PM   #16
23_Tauri
Illuminator

What planet are you posting from?

Nice to know we ladies haven't been usurped by a few satsumas and there's some red-blooded males in the house.
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Senex
Philosopher

Nice to know we ladies haven't been usurped by a few satsumas and there's some red-blooded males in the house.
Sexy German. That works for me
Old 13th February 2011, 03:36 PM   #18
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Forget female nudity, where does Paradox74 go to buy those oranges that strip off on demand for the camera?
I bought those from ASDA because they were on special.

YouTube doesn't allow human nudity which would have been counter productive to the client brief. Apparently oranges in the nude are OK.
Old 13th February 2011, 03:52 PM   #19
BTMO
Overlord of the Underthings

I made a short PowerPoint presentation describing several experiments that one can try out to test the paranormal powers of the Ouija Board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3bvX8ToTg

Youtube is a video format. It excels at allowing people to post moving pictures to the internet with a minimum of technical skill or knowledge.

Text is just boring on youtube - a blog is a much better way to present text.

The powerpoints themselves were too wordy. If you have a message, just use bullet points and talk to your slides (don't read them out!). Just use the slides to reinforce your message, not be the main event.

My personal preference is to have no more than about three bullet points on a slide, then use some sort of graphic or image to reinforce your point - a graph, a photograph, an illustration, then move on.

Each slide should only contain one topic.

Example - you might want to do a talk about the dairy industry.

Your first slide introduces the history of the industry, and then you have some photos of olde tymme milking equipment, or people with huge whiskers milking cows.

Your second slide is a current state of play - how many cows there are in your area, what the current sale price of milk solids is and then a graph showing a cost / profit relationship in various areas.

Your final slide is how you expect the future of the industry to look.

Powerpoint is, in my opinion, one of the least well tools used in the world today.

People want to see and hear what you think, not look over your shoulder at your notes.

Good luck!
Old 14th February 2011, 02:22 AM   #20
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BTMO View Post
Youtube is a video format. It excels at allowing people to post moving pictures to the internet with a minimum of technical skill or knowledge.

Text is just boring on youtube - a blog is a much better way to present text.

The powerpoints themselves were too wordy. If you have a message, just use bullet points and talk to your slides (don't read them out!). Just use the slides to reinforce your message, not be the main event.

My personal preference is to have no more than about three bullet points on a slide, then use some sort of graphic or image to reinforce your point - a graph, a photograph, an illustration, then move on.

Each slide should only contain one topic.

Example - you might want to do a talk about the dairy industry.

Your first slide introduces the history of the industry, and then you have some photos of olde tymme milking equipment, or people with huge whiskers milking cows.

Your second slide is a current state of play - how many cows there are in your area, what the current sale price of milk solids is and then a graph showing a cost / profit relationship in various areas.

Your final slide is how you expect the future of the industry to look.

Powerpoint is, in my opinion, one of the least well tools used in the world today.

People want to see and hear what you think, not look over your shoulder at your notes.

Good luck!
Hey, the price of milk and powerpoint demonstrations pales in comparison to a naughty conversation.

What a rube.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:12 AM   #21
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Very much this. The point of PowerPoint, and any similar presentation, is to show a brief summary and graphics while you talk in more detail. A general guide is you should be talking for about 2 minutes per slide. Obviously this is rather more than you could actually fit on a slide. If that's not what you're trying to do, then you've chosen the wrong format.

It's essentially the same problem as putting silent text on a YouTube video. Different formats are, well, different. You need to be careful to pick the right one for what you're presenting, otherwise people won't pay any attention to it.

As for the content, I don't agree with your claims about blindfolds. It's a very common part of Ouija board and similar claims to say the spirits can only see through the eyes of the people participating. It's not even obviously an excuse, since the idea of possession, talking through living people, automatic writing, and so on, are pretty well established. The important part of a test is having the test blinded, not literally blinding the people taking part.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2011, 03:23 PM   #22
Paradox74

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Very much this. The point of PowerPoint, and any similar presentation, is to show a brief summary and graphics while you talk in more detail. A general guide is you should be talking for about 2 minutes per slide. Obviously this is rather more than you could actually fit on a slide. If that's not what you're trying to do, then you've chosen the wrong format.

It's essentially the same problem as putting silent text on a YouTube video. Different formats are, well, different. You need to be careful to pick the right one for what you're presenting, otherwise people won't pay any attention to it.

As for the content, I don't agree with your claims about blindfolds. It's a very common part of Ouija board and similar claims to say the spirits can only see through the eyes of the people participating. It's not even obviously an excuse, since the idea of possession, talking through living people, automatic writing, and so on, are pretty well established. The important part of a test is having the test blinded, not literally blinding the people taking part.
I've been thinking about the choice of format for my presentation and I'm starting to see the point of some of the opinions made here by the JREF forum members. My material may be more suited for a blog or something and not an actual video unless I have footage of the experiment itself or a voice over.

Also, I am unable to actually try out any of the experiments myself which are mentioned in the presentation due to certain "restrictions" placed on me (in which case, I might switch to different topics such as vaccines and "Ancient Aliens").

Let me give you an allegory of those "restrictions" placed on me; it's medieval Europe and the Inquisition is in full swing, arresting anyone who is in possession of a telescope and is using it to observe the stars. Not only am I forbidden to own a telescope, I'm virtually confined indoors 24/7.

If I say anything else, I will be giving away too much personal detail.
Old 14th February 2011, 04:06 PM   #23
dlorde
Philosopher

I don't understand why you made a video of some plain text without sound... Couldn't you just post the text to a blog or forum?
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2011, 07:40 PM   #24
BTMO
Overlord of the Underthings

Hey, the price of milk and powerpoint demonstrations pales in comparison to a naughty conversation.

What a rube.
Ok - make my example a powerpoint of naked people, writhing together.

Old 14th February 2011, 09:28 PM   #25
Senex
Philosopher

Ok - make my example a powerpoint of naked people, writhing together.
Maybe ten years ago I might have had a shot. Today, it sucks to be me.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal