IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th May 2022, 08:28 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Ferdinand Marcos Jr to win presidency of Philippines

What strange times we live in. I don't usually pay a lot of attention to the politics of other countries, so this headline took me by surprise:

Ferdinand Marcos Jr on cusp of winning landslide in Philippines elections

He looks a lot like his father too. Do Filipinos have fond memories of the former dictator?

I'm sure that most of us have heard the name, but here's a history refresher in case it has faded from your memory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Marcos

Quote:
Ferdinand Emmanuel Edralin Marcos Sr., (/ˈmɑːrkɔːs/,[6] September 11, 1917 – September 28, 1989) was a Filipino politician, lawyer, dictator,[7][8][9] and kleptocrat[10][11][12] who was the 10th president of the Philippines from 1965 to 1986. He ruled under martial law from 1972 until 1981[13] and kept most of his martial law powers until he was deposed in 1986, branding his rule as "constitutional authoritarianism"[14][15]: 414  under his Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (New Society Movement). One of the most controversial leaders of the 20th century, Marcos' rule was infamous for its corruption,[16][17][18] extravagance,[19][20][21] and brutality.[22][23][24]

Marcos gained political success by claiming to have been the "most decorated war hero in the Philippines",[25] but many of his claims have been found to be false,[26][27][28] with United States Army documents describing his wartime claims as "fraudulent" and "absurd".[29][30] After World War II, he became a lawyer then served in the Philippine House of Representatives from 1949 to 1959 and the Philippine Senate from 1959 to 1965. He was elected the President of the Philippines in 1965 and presided over an economy that grew during the beginning of his 20-year rule[31] but would end in the loss of livelihood, extreme poverty,[32][33] and a crushing debt crisis.[34][33] He pursued an aggressive program of infrastructure development funded by foreign debt,[35][36] making him popular during his first term, although it would also trigger an inflationary crisis which would lead to social unrest in his second term.[37][38] Marcos placed the Philippines under martial law on September 23, 1972,[39][40] shortly before the end of his second term. Martial law was ratified in 1973 through a fraudulent referendum.[41] The Constitution was revised, media outlets were silenced,[42] and violence and oppression were used[24] against the political opposition,[43][44] Muslims,[45] suspected communists,[46][47] and ordinary citizens.[44]

After being elected for a third term in the 1981 Philippine presidential election, Marcos's popularity suffered greatly, due to the economic collapse that began in early 1983 and the public outrage over the assassination of opposition leader Senator Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino Jr. later that year. This discontent, the resulting resurgence of the opposition in the 1984 Philippine parliamentary election, and the discovery of documents exposing his financial accounts and false war records led Marcos to call the snap election of 1986. Allegations of mass cheating, political turmoil, and human rights abuses led to the People Power Revolution of February 1986, which removed him from power.[48] To avoid what could have been a military confrontation in Manila between pro- and anti-Marcos troops, Marcos was advised by US President Ronald Reagan through Senator Paul Laxalt to "cut and cut cleanly."[49] Marcos then fled with his family to Hawaii.[50] He was succeeded as president by Aquino's widow, Corazon "Cory" Aquino.[51][52][53]
So he was a brutal and corrupt dictator whose policies led to economic collapse. But at least he was anti-communist. And now they want to make his son president?
Old 9th May 2022, 10:03 PM   #2
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

John Oliver had this as the second story last night on "Last Week Tonight."

Apparently, he has effectively been rewriting history for the last few years. They had sound bites of young Filipinos saying how good martial law was for the country, and stories of how successful the economy was. Also, of course, that he has no idea where that $10 billion his parents stole went.
Old 9th May 2022, 10:25 PM   #3
Chanakya

How utterly weird is this. I have no idea at all about the politics in Philippines, so this may well have been an expected outcome for all I know ........but generally speaking, it seems utterly bizarre that the people will have wanted to vote in a throwback to that earlier time. I mean this is crazy.

(I don't know, any chance he rigged the votes or something? Doesn't make sense otherwise. ---On the other hand, like I said I have zero clue about what's been going on there, politically speaking, so it's not like that's a surprise, that it should not make sense to me.)
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 10:46 PM   #4
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
I don't know, any chance he rigged the votes or something?
It is a thought that occurred to me, but I don't really know enough to speculate about that. His father though did apparently rig some votes according to the Wikipedia article, but that was after he was already president (effectively a dictator) and the country was under martial law.
Old 9th May 2022, 11:49 PM   #5
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
How utterly weird is this. I have no idea at all about the politics in Philippines, so this may well have been an expected outcome for all I know ........but generally speaking, it seems utterly bizarre that the people will have wanted to vote in a throwback to that earlier time. I mean this is crazy.

(I don't know, any chance he rigged the votes or something? Doesn't make sense otherwise. ---On the other hand, like I said I have zero clue about what's been going on there, politically speaking, so it's not like that's a surprise, that it should not make sense to me.)
It seems that a lot of countries are hankering for a chunk of their glorious past whether it's Putin's imperial adventures, the US and UK electing throwbacks or India and Modi.

That in turn is IMO an indication that people are dissatisfied with their lot but don't see progress as the way out of their dissatisfaction.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 12:13 AM   #6
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Has he got a FABULOUS collection of shoes?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 12:19 AM   #7
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Most of it can be explained by that bugbear of modern society: Social media.

Quote:
Ferdinand Marcos, the dictator who ruled the Philippines from 1965 to 1986, was the nation’s most decorated hero of the second world war. Under his rule, the armed forces were the most advanced in Asia. Even more impressive: his family owns enormous quantities of gold, enough to save the world (it was given to Marcos by a royal family as payment for acting as their lawyer). It will be shared with the people if they regain power.

The claims are all false. But that hasn’t stop them from echoing across social media, saturating news feeds across the Philippines.
Marcos Jr, 64, ran with the slogan “Together we shall rise again”, invoking nostalgia for his father’s authoritarian regime, which the family and its supporters have portrayed as a golden era in a campaign fuelled by online disinformation as social media has been flooded with false stories that have swept aside the atrocities and corruption widespread during the period.
Jack Drescher, 58, who was on his way to vote, also cited the building of infrastructure under Marcos Sr as a reason for backing his son. He was not concerned about corruption within the family, he said. “He has a lot of gold so he won’t steal any money,” he said, adding that he had heard this from YouTube.
The Guardian: Ferdinand Marcos Jr triumphs in Philippines presidential election
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 12:33 AM   #8
catsmate
No longer the 1

Ah, democracy.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 01:29 AM   #9
Susheel
Master Poster

If I remember right, with less than a decade of Marcos' ouster and banishment (and eventual demise), Imelda Marcos was back in The Philippines rehabilitating Marcos' legacy and gathered a significant following, including many of those who were celebrating his ouster a few years ago.
Old 10th May 2022, 05:57 AM   #10
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Everything old is new again.
Old 10th May 2022, 06:54 AM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Interesting profile piece about him on Radio 4. Bongbong Marcos
Old 10th May 2022, 07:26 AM   #12
Chanakya

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It seems that a lot of countries are hankering for a chunk of their glorious past whether it's Putin's imperial adventures, the US and UK electing throwbacks or India and Modi.

That in turn is IMO an indication that people are dissatisfied with their lot but don't see progress as the way out of their dissatisfaction.

True enough, unfortunately.

Although I'd say Marcos kind of stands out even within an unholy group comprising the likes of Putin and Trump and Modi. Even Putin, where the Russians are concerned at least, and so far at least --- although that might change after this War, if it bleeds the Russians enough. I mean, unlike Marcos, none of these have actually been booted out by their people, and none of them are hated quite as much and by quite as many as Marcos was.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Has he got a FABULOUS collection of shoes?

Yeah the shoes. I've been saying just now that Marcos was a horrible dictator that did all kinds of horrible things, but if you ask me than frankly I don't actually know any of the actual details of what he'd actually done. I just know that he was this tyrant of a dictator ---- and the shoes, that I distinctly remember, those shoes, from whatever I might have read or heard about them!
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 07:43 AM   #13
wobs
Master Poster

I assume he's still the worst.
Old 10th May 2022, 11:51 AM   #14
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
John Oliver had this as the second story last night on "Last Week Tonight."

Apparently, he has effectively been rewriting history for the last few years. They had sound bites of young Filipinos saying how good martial law was for the country, and stories of how successful the economy was. Also, of course, that he has no idea where that $10 billion his parents stole went.
His mother spent most of it on shoes.
Old 11th May 2022, 06:37 AM   #15
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Insane. The young people with no memory of the dictatorship have been fooled by smart marketing.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 01:45 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is he likely to be any worse than his predecessor, Duterte? Whose daughter is being elected Vice President, BTW.
Old 12th May 2022, 09:57 AM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Insane. The young people with no memory of the dictatorship have been fooled by smart marketing.
I am convinced that the generations that remember what Right Wing regimes did to the world in the 1930's and 40's are pretty much gone is a main reason for the rise of the right world wide. It's not juste the Philppines. That, yuu have..and I know I am sounding like a grumby old man...a younger generation totally ignorant of history anyway.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 10:15 AM   #18
Chanakya

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am convinced that the generations that remember what Right Wing regimes did to the world in the 1930's and 40's are pretty much gone is a main reason for the rise of the right world wide. It's not juste the Philppines. That, yuu have..and I know I am sounding like a grumby old man...a younger generation totally ignorant of history anyway.

I think that's absolutely correct. And I say this as someone who, although far from old, often find myself despairing of things ever self-correcting without first leading to another catastrophe, whether locally or globally. Like they say, those who don't learn from history will end up repeating it; and unfortunately there's astonishingly large numbers of people today that are ignorant about history (and, worse, are victims of actual disinformation about history, and, being largely ignorant, fall easy prey to such disinformation).
Old 13th May 2022, 11:44 AM   #19
Armitage72
Philosopher

“He has a lot of gold so he won’t steal any money.”

Why does this sound familiar? I know I've heard something similar somewhere, I just can't place it.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 11:02 PM   #20
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

For democracy to work voters need to devote time and effort to making sure they are reliably informed. If they can't be bothered to do that, if they are happy to swallow the most blatant and transparent of lies, democracy fails. Democracy is failing all over the world, this is just the latest example.
Old 14th May 2022, 01:57 AM   #21
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Is he likely to be any worse than his predecessor, Duterte? Whose daughter is being elected Vice President, BTW.
Duterte seemed pretty terrible to me. I guess we’ll find out though. It might be a different kind of terrible with Marcos.

From what I can find on the internet, Duterte leaves office with a very high approval rating. 67% according to a poll in April. Assuming that’s a legitimate poll. I don’t know enough to evaluate that.

So, I guess as far as Filipinos are concerned, Duterte did just fine. Human rights groups aren’t very happy about him but the voters seem to approve. And he respected the term limit. I guess you can say that for him.
Old 14th May 2022, 10:20 AM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Gotta wonder to what extent Duterte is actually leaving. Maybe he'll just be pulling Marcos's strings.
Old 15th May 2022, 12:39 AM   #23
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

John Oliver covered this election on his show, if anyone's interested:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It does include "adult language".
Old 17th May 2022, 01:19 AM   #24
a_unique_person

I wonder how much influence China had in this. The campaign on social media was very slick and well organized. Marcos is set to improve relations with China. China has been bribing and helping other politicians in the Pacific to get on board with their policies.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 01:12 PM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I wonder how much influence China had in this. The campaign on social media was very slick and well organized. Marcos is set to improve relations with China. China has been bribing and helping other politicians in the Pacific to get on board with their policies.
I note the Aussies are not exactly thrilled with the idea of a Chinese Military presence in the Solomon Islands.........

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2022, 07:24 AM   #26
a_unique_person

The offer is "security" and communications and border control.

The security is to keep the government in power, no matter how much it is not wanted. The communications infrastructure is to know everything.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics