IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 14th March 2020, 01:11 AM   #2281
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

This one counts as a White House staffer:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...virus-comments

Fox's Trish Regan is sent to the room to think about what she's done.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 01:16 AM   #2282
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

I don't get it... She made comments equating coronavirus with impeachment... Why would they suspend her for that? That seems in line with comments made by trump and supporters.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 01:44 AM   #2283
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I don't get it... She made comments equating coronavirus with impeachment... Why would they suspend her for that? That seems in line with comments made by trump and supporters.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Virus = Impeachment = Hoax

I think FoX lawyers are starting to get worried that they can get sued for causing harm for deliberately spreading misinformation despite knowing the facts.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 08:21 AM   #2284
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

That's paywalled, here's one at Bloomberg. Looks like she wanted to amplify Trump's original "fake news hoax" reaction but left it a little too late.
Old 14th March 2020, 10:41 AM   #2285
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I don't get it... She made comments equating coronavirus with impeachment... Why would they suspend her for that? That seems in line with comments made by trump ....
Fox Business is fairly independent compared to mainstream Fox News. From what I've seen, though I haven't seen that much. They slammed Trump over Helsinki.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 10:46 AM   #2286
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That's paywalled, here's one at Bloomberg. Looks like she wanted to amplify Trump's original "fake news hoax" reaction but left it a little too late.
The LA Times one came up for me.

"Coronavirus Impeachment Scam" is just nonsensical. I wonder if what she said would have been OK without that highly misleading graphic.

ETA: Real businesspeople need real business news, even if they are personally conservative. So I think Fox Business distances itself somewhat from Fox News. Different niche.

Last edited by Minoosh; 14th March 2020 at 10:50 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 11:21 AM   #2287
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Should we add Mnuchin to the risk list?

Unlikely pair of Pelosi and Mnuchin join forces as Washington’s crisis negotiators

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 11:38 AM   #2288
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

ETA: Real businesspeople need real business news, even if they are personally conservative. So I think Fox Business distances itself somewhat from Fox News. Different niche.
Check out Lou Dobbs. He's a racist POS.
Old 14th March 2020, 11:45 AM   #2289
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't been able to stand him for 15 years.
Old 14th March 2020, 02:44 PM   #2290
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Name a Trump associaste who isn't.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 02:46 PM   #2291
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
No;If Trump Mnuchen that will cause market crash worse then anything we have see so for.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 03:14 PM   #2292
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No...
There is a slim but nonzero chance that sacking that particular douchenozzle could somehow compare to the cascade of significant negative demand shocks we've already priced in.
Old 21st March 2020, 02:08 AM   #2293
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Name a Trump associaste who isn't.....
Ben Carson but he replaces it with self-loathing.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:21 AM   #2294
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My wife just texted me about Carson coughing into his hand and touching the podium. He's a doctor.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:37 AM   #2295
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Ben Carson but he replaces it with self-loathing.
If 'Uncle Tom" had a photo in the dictionary.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th March 2020, 09:32 AM   #2296
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

What are the diminishing odds we'll see Fauci in the daily briefing ever again?
Old 24th March 2020, 11:32 AM   #2297
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
And has he signed an NDA?
Old 24th March 2020, 01:56 PM   #2298
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Read this interview with him and weep

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...facts-pandemic

He certainly seems to be trying to make the best of a bad job

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 02:07 PM   #2299
Meadmaker

And has he signed an NDA?
NDA or no NDA, I'll bet he is the sort that if Trump fires him, he won't hesitate to go on the talk shows and say, "The man is an idiot." That isn't covered by any NDA.

I could be wrong, though, but I predict he won't be fired. I predict he will be shoved into a corner and ignored.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 02:07 AM   #2300
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...cid=spartanntp

And Dr. Fauci is ******. Of course if we lose him, so are we.
Old 27th March 2020, 03:00 PM   #2301
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

aaand.... Trish Reagan is gone from Fox.
Seems like the Dem's Hoax got her.

- Emo Philips
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:51 PM   #2302
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Quote:
President Trump has reportedly fired Michael Atkinson, the inspector general for the U.S. intelligence community who alerted Congress to concerns about a Trump phone call with the president of Ukraine – a matter that led to the president’s impeachment last year.
Trump formally notified the intelligence committees of both the Senate and House in a letter dated Friday that was obtained by Politico.
"This is to advise that I am exercising my power as President to remove from office the Inspector General of the Intelligence Community, effective 30 days from today," the president wrote.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ne-call-report
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:10 PM   #2303
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
President Trump has reportedly fired Michael Atkinson, the inspector general for the U.S. intelligence community who alerted Congress to concerns about a Trump phone call with the president of Ukraine

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ne-call-report
But... but... Trump learned his lesson from the impeachment, didn't he?

"I believe that the President has learned from this case."
- Susan Collins

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:35 PM   #2304
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:35 PM   #2305
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

- Susan Collins
Yes, but WHAT did he learn.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:59 PM   #2306
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Racist just scratches the surface. This is the same crater of whale **** that did this:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats...-trump-accuser

He revealed the personal info of one of the women accusing Trump of sexual assault. The apology means nothing if you don't take down the Tweet.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:29 PM   #2307
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
President Trump has reportedly fired Michael Atkinson, the inspector general for the U.S. intelligence community who alerted Congress to concerns about a Trump phone call with the president of Ukraine – a matter that led to the president’s impeachment last year.
Trump formally notified the intelligence committees of both the Senate and House in a letter dated Friday that was obtained by Politico.
"This is to advise that I am exercising my power as President to remove from office the Inspector General of the Intelligence Community, effective 30 days from today," the president wrote.
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The only thing that surprises me about this is that he waited so long. Probably hoping it will go unnoticed with all the Covid 19 crap going on. And on a Friday.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 06:55 AM   #2308
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

- Susan Collins
Yes, but WHAT did he learn.

He learned that he can do anything he wants, no matter how unethical, illegal, disgusting, or depraved (I'm sure I left a few things out) without so much as a peep of complaint from nearly any Republicans, and a full-throated, irate defense from most of them.

What would any person with more than two brain cells to rub together have expected him to learn?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 09:34 AM   #2309
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...fing-the-press

Grisham out, McEnany in.

Quote:
Donald Trump has shaken up his communications operation by hiring Kayleigh McEnany, a controversial spokesperson for his re-election campaign, as his fourth White House press secretary, according to multiple media reports.
She replaces Stephanie Grisham, who had only been in the position for nine months and was the first press secretary in modern times never to hold a formal briefing for reporters, the New York Times and other outlets said.
Here's a side issue. Trump claims he disbanded the pandemic panel because they sat around and got paid for doing nothing, which offended him because he's a businessman (snicker) but just wtf did Grisham do?
Old 7th April 2020, 10:53 AM   #2310
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...fing-the-press

Grisham out, McEnany in.

Here's a side issue. Trump claims he disbanded the pandemic panel because they sat around and got paid for doing nothing, which offended him because he's a businessman (snicker) but just wtf did Grisham do?
She probably didn't put out; or slapped his hand away when he went to grab her by the....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 11:58 AM   #2311
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
She probably didn't put out; or slapped his hand away when he went to grab her by the....
While I wouldn't rule out that possibility entirely, I think it's possible that Trump's frequent campaign events press briefings pissed her off. It's obvious that Trump didn't want a press secretary to do press briefings after Spicer and Huckabee were mocked relentlessly for constantly lying to the press, but once Trump started regularly lying to the press in person I can imagine the press secretary wondering just why she should bother showing up to work at all and expressing that around the office.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 12:02 PM   #2312
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I think Resume is asking what Grisham did in her job. She didn't do press briefings, so what did she do all day? He's suggesting she, like (according to Trump) that pandemic panel, "sat around and got paid for doing nothing".
Old 7th April 2020, 12:13 PM   #2313
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I think Resume is asking what Grisham did in her job. She didn't do press briefings, so what did she do all day? He's suggesting she, like (according to Trump) that pandemic panel, "sat around and got paid for doing nothing".
As I recall, she was still dealing with press inquiries (presumably responding favorably primarily to "friendly" outlets), but a thousand bucks says she was told from the start that there would be no more formal press briefings. Once near-daily press briefings started with the rapist-in-chief heading them up, the lack of briefings before was a lot more conspicuous.

I think it's also possible that Grisham was fired for the performance of that scumbag Kushner. If she had anything to do with helping him prep, it would be easier to scapegoat her than to acknowledge Jared is even more unjustifiably arrogant than his father-in-law.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 12:14 PM   #2314
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Acting SecNav Modly has resigned. Pretty inevitable.
Old 7th April 2020, 12:19 PM   #2315
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Acting SecNav Modly has resigned. Pretty inevitable.
Funny, because being unqualified, incompetent, and arrogant are usually the traits that ensure a long career as a Trump stooge...or Trump son-in-law...or Trump.
Old 7th April 2020, 12:23 PM   #2316
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Trump hired her to do virtually nothing. Who know what fit of pique led to her dismissal. Now we get to witness just how feckless and obsequent Kayleigh McEnany will be. More than Kellanne? I'd bet.

Feckless, as in careless and irresponsible, forestalling a hijacking of the thread.
Old 7th April 2020, 12:37 PM   #2317
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump hired her to do virtually nothing. Who know what fit of pique led to her dismissal. Now we get to witness just how feckless and obsequent Kayleigh McEnany will be. More than Kellanne? I'd bet.

Feckless, as in careless and irresponsible, forestalling a hijacking of the thread.
Quote:
“I'm going to surround myself only with the best and most serious people. We want top-of-the line professionals.”
Trump 2015
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 12:48 PM   #2318
crescent
Illuminator

No, I think McEnany will be very professional and good. Unless....

February 26: "We will not see diseases like the coronavirus come here..and isn't it refreshing when contrasting it with the awful presidency of President Obama"

Today: White House Press Secretary

New White House Press Secretary Said a Month Ago That the Coronavirus Would Never Spread to the U.S.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 12:53 PM   #2319
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if we'll hear as little from McEnany as we did from Grisham? I hope so. The less stupidity and lies we hear from her, the better. After all, that's Trump's job.
Old 7th April 2020, 12:55 PM   #2320
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
No, I think McEnany will be very professional and good. Unless....

February 26: "We will not see diseases like the coronavirus come here..and isn't it refreshing when contrasting it with the awful presidency of President Obama"

Today: White House Press Secretary

New White House Press Secretary Said a Month Ago That the Coronavirus Would Never Spread to the U.S.
Wait to see this administration's response to that quote. An admission that it was rash and irresponsible? Not a ******* chance.

Last edited by Resume; 7th April 2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: english: do you type it?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics