IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 22nd March 2022, 10:52 AM   #1001
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Outside of this forum, where the average age is likely around early 70s, most people will think it is. It's going to be 2-3 times higher than anyone under 50 will have ever experienced, and I suspect the fallout will be huge. Wages are already rocketing. The employment picture is vastly different from last time we had high inflation.

Quibbling about what to call it is a bit redundant in the face of the reality.
And I think it's going to be a temporary blip. Sure many people will suffer financially, but the effects will be comparatively short lived and won't result in any kind of paradigm shift.

I guess we'll know in 6 or 12 months. If inflation is in double digits and rising with no end in sight then you'll be right, that tsunami is on its way. If it's on the way down it'll be yet another economic bump in the road.

That said, personally I'd like to see interest rates back up to long term norms which in turn would encourage what I consider more responsible behaviour and won't continue to inflate the asset bubble.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:24 PM   #1002
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Outside of this forum, where the average age is likely around early 70s, most people will think it is. It's going to be 2-3 times higher than anyone under 50 will have ever experienced, and I suspect the fallout will be huge. Wages are already rocketing. The employment picture is vastly different from last time we had high inflation.

Quibbling about what to call it is a bit redundant in the face of the reality.
And most of us who did experience it did so as teenagers.

Higher costs for beer was a big deal, but a lot of people will find that inflation is a much bigger deal now that we are looking at a bank account as a way to sustain our lifestyle in retirement.

ETA: And, of course, during those intervening years, we have all been conditioned to create that retirement account, and given lots of opportunities to do so, far more than our fathers or (much more rarely) mothers did.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 22nd March 2022 at 12:26 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:43 PM   #1003
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That said, personally I'd like to see interest rates back up to long term norms which in turn would encourage what I consider more responsible behaviour and won't continue to inflate the asset bubble.
I'm 100% on you with that.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And most of us who did experience it did so as teenagers.
I was in corporate banking and watched, dumbfounded, as interest rates hit over 1000% per annum for overnight rates.

Fun times.
Old 9th April 2022, 03:43 PM   #1004
marting
Illuminator

I just went through the numbers for buying a 500k home a year ago vs now in the USA.

The average home purchase price went up 20% Feb 2021 to Feb 2022. Mortgage rates went up from 3% to 5%

A 30y, monthly mortgage payment on a 500k home went up from $2,108 to $3,221. That's over 50% higher.

Things are going to get interesting.
Old 10th April 2022, 12:15 PM   #1005
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Rates here are now up to four times where they were a year ago.

Interesting is somewhat mild!
Old 16th April 2022, 08:02 PM   #1006
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
As I said, I've been investing £300 a month since May 2017. Every month I compare the total amount I've invested with the current value of those investments and post the result as a percentage change. The idea, as originally stated, is to use my experience to monitor how good or bad a decision it was to continue investing, rather than cash in, at the start of the pandemic. I'm not sure what it is about this that people are having difficulty understanding.

At the moment it's looking like a good decision, but that might well change as time goes on.
Just thinking back to this thread and wondering if you've been continuing investing (dollar cost averaging) throughout the pandemic, and what your figures tell you. Cheers.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2022, 08:43 AM   #1007
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Just thinking back to this thread and wondering if you've been continuing investing (dollar cost averaging) throughout the pandemic, and what your figures tell you. Cheers.
I'm still investing £300 every month. I've now invested a total of £18,000 since May 2017, and my ISA has a current value of £20,250. Not spectacular growth by any means, but I'm still glad I didn't cash it in when that black swan flew in.

There was a big dip at last month's update, which was just after Russia invaded Ukraine, but this month it had just about recovered it.

Last edited by Pixel42; 17th April 2022 at 08:45 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2022, 04:04 PM   #1008
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm still investing £300 every month. I've now invested a total of £18,000 since May 2017, and my ISA has a current value of £20,250. Not spectacular growth by any means, but I'm still glad I didn't cash it in when that black swan flew in.

There was a big dip at last month's update, which was just after Russia invaded Ukraine, but this month it had just about recovered it.

Thanks! Good to hear, and well done.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:44 AM   #1009
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I guess it depends on which perspective you see covid from as to whether it's a black swan or a gold rush.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/billi...b04353eb0a526d

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance