IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th March 2022, 10:50 AM   #1
ahhell
Illuminator

Poll shows that Americans are Ignorant of America

Don't really now where else to put this but its interesting and entertaining.

The short version, Americans think that any way you parse Americans, various minorities make up about 30$% of the population, not all minorities but every minority.

Native Americas, about 30%
Jews, about 30%
Left handed, 30%
Live in New York, about 30%, etc.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/poli...ups-population

Edited typo.

Last edited by ahhell; 17th March 2022 at 11:12 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 10:54 AM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post

The short version, Americans think that any way you parse Americans, various minorities make up about 30$ of the population, not all minorities but every minority.

Jews, about 30%
Left handed, 30%

You can get a lot more for them than that.

I'm going to hell, I just know it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 10:57 AM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 11:12 AM   #4
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Interesting.
Yep, not sure if it means anything. Seems to be some sort of bias, if someone doesn't know they guess around 1/3? The stuff that the average isn't about 30% is generally a little closer to reality.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 11:26 AM   #5
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
You know what this means?
We're at least 120% dumber than I ever dreamed we could be.
Old 17th March 2022, 11:26 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Americans don't know anything about America.
In other breaking news, water is wet and the rose in the East this morning.
Old 17th March 2022, 11:28 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I would like to visit a place that's 30% gay and 20% millionaires, that would certainly boost my chances of finding True Love!
Old 17th March 2022, 11:36 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You needed a poll to tell you that?

Now who's being ignorant of Americans?
Old 17th March 2022, 11:40 AM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I would like to visit a place that's 30% gay and 20% millionaires, that would certainly boost my chances of finding True Love!
San Francisco is probably the closest.

I think that's the point though--if you live in New York City you might think that 30% of the population is Jewish and if you live in Tucson you might think 30% is Hispanic.

I did think it was interesting that they said gays and lesbians are 3% and transgendered 0.6%; the former sounds about right but used to be somewhat controversial and the latter is off by orders of magnitude.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 11:42 AM   #10
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

I think that's the point though--if you live in New York City you might think that 30% of the population is Jewish and if you live in Tucson you might think 30% is Hispanic.

I did think it was interesting that they said gays and lesbians are 3% and transgendered 0.6%; the former sounds about right but used to be somewhat controversial and the latter is off by orders of magnitude.
So what do you reckon the true figure for transgender is? around 30%?
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 11:44 AM   #11
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I laughed.
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

Of course some of this might be driven by the average American Sitcom. 30% Jewish and 30% Gay might be close to the averages there.

Do you think 0.6% is orders of magnitudes high or low? Brief internet search indicates its about right.
Old 17th March 2022, 12:00 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

So... 30% male, 30% female, 30% undecided, and 30% don’t know?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 12:27 PM   #13
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I laughed.

Of course some of this might be driven by the average American Sitcom. 30% Jewish and 30% Gay might be close to the averages there.

Do you think 0.6% is orders of magnitudes high or low? Brief internet search indicates its about right.
Going by Tik Tok, it's probably way too low. Going by current fads it may sound about right. Going by Gender Dysphoria diagnosis?

Quote:
According to Black's Medical Dictionary, gender dysphoria “occurs in one in 30,000 male births and one in 100,000 female births.
Definitely magnitudes too high.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 12:40 PM   #14
Warp12
King of Kings

The short version, Americans think that any way you parse Americans, various minorities make up about 30$% of the population, not all minorities but every minority.

Jews, about 30%
Left handed, 30%

Edited typo.
Well, I can see where people might think Jews are 30%...everywhere you turn, there one is, it seems.

But Native Americans? Come on.
Old 17th March 2022, 01:32 PM   #15
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Well, I can see where people might think Jews are 30%...everywhere you turn, there one is, it seems.
Just make sure they don't replace you.....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 01:37 PM   #16
Ron Obvious
Muse

Nonsense. I'd say only about 30% are ignorant.
Old 17th March 2022, 05:07 PM   #17
mgidm86
Philosopher

The poll that proved our ignorance was done in 2020.
Old 17th March 2022, 06:10 PM   #18
p0lka
Master Poster

30% means that whatever they are, there's another 2 people to make it 2v1, so it feels ok?
p0lka is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 06:15 PM   #19
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
30% means that whatever they are, there's another 2 people to make it 2v1, so it feels ok?
Joke I know but it is kind of like we have trouble thinking about more than 3 people.
Old 17th March 2022, 07:33 PM   #20
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
There's a 50% chance we're even more ignorant today!
Old 17th March 2022, 07:56 PM   #21
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Just make sure they don't replace you.....
Worse. He needs to worry about getting replaced by a Jewish native american.
Old 17th March 2022, 07:58 PM   #22
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
They make up over 120% of Americans!
Old 17th March 2022, 08:23 PM   #23
Warp12
King of Kings

Big Chief Rabbi: Why Cherokees could be Jewish
https://www.thejc.com/news/world/big...jewish-1.53565

Quote:
Sceptics take note: Mr Yates has been examining Cherokee genes for 12 years and is very confident about his findings.
Old 17th March 2022, 09:00 PM   #24
Armitage72
Philosopher

Mel Brooks?

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 09:14 PM   #25
PitPat
Master Poster

Okay for once this is something I have deep knowledge about. Can't tell you how many political polling datasets I've seen over the the 6 or so years. And it's not local, it's deep-dive analysis with nation-wide, ostensibly random Americans, in the tens of thousands.

Of course there are significant differences between demographic groups: self-identified gender and race. Age, education, income and the like. They are the givens.

Break it out by previous voting history (or registered to vote or not), means of how they get their info assuming they care, that's where it gets really interesting.

I don't think there would be too many surprises, but there were a few. Whatever poll you see on the news is generally close, though in 2016 there was a belief in the polling community that respondents weren't answering honestly. Hence the widespread doubt about it. Worked on some other polling that tried to address that issue. Possible that effect lingered on? Certainly, though some measures have been put in place for that within survey instruments, along with some statistical safeguards.

So welcome your next President, Paul Rudd.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2022, 10:14 PM   #26
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
So... 30% male, 30% female, 30% undecided, and 30% don’t know?
30% man, 30% bear, 30% pig.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2022, 02:56 AM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I've seen "vox-pop" polls that seemingly show that Brits think New York is the capital of the USA, that put Canada in northern Europe. So don't feel so bad!
Old 20th March 2022, 07:09 AM   #28
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
30% Person
30% woman
30% man
30% camera
30% TV
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2022, 05:53 PM   #29
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I bought Why We're Wrong About Nearly Everything: A Theory of Human Misunderstanding by Bobby Duffy as a Christmas gift to myself.

Per amazon.ca:
Quote:
A leading social researcher explains why humans so consistently misunderstand the outside world

How often are women harassed? What percentage of the population are immigrants? How bad is unemployment? These questions are important, but most of us get the answers wrong. Research shows that people often wildly misunderstand the state of the world, regardless of age, sex, or education. And though the internet brings us unprecedented access to information, there's little evidence we're any better informed because of it.

We may blame cognitive bias or fake news, but neither tells the complete story. In Why We're Wrong About Nearly Everything, Bobby Duffy draws on his research into public perception across more than forty countries, offering a sweeping account of the stubborn problem of human delusion: how society breeds it, why it will never go away, and what our misperceptions say about what we really believe.

We won't always know the facts, but they still matter. Why We're Wrong About Nearly Everything is mandatory reading for anyone interested making humankind a little bit smarter.
It is a scary read. The US is one of the worst countries as far as lack of knowledge of actual facts is concerned but no country comes out well.

And, of course, I would not be fulfilling my Canadian heritage if I did not point you all to Talking to Americans ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282195/ ).
Old 20th March 2022, 06:04 PM   #30
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
20% Person, 20% Woman, 20% Man, 20% Camera, 20% TV.
Old 21st March 2022, 12:14 AM   #31
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
20% Person, 20% Woman, 20% Man, 20% Camera, 20% TV.
In Trumpworld, it's 120% Person, 120% Woman, 120% Man, 120% Camera, 120% TV. Go big or go home.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 01:03 AM   #32
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I bought Why We're Wrong About Nearly Everything: A Theory of Human Misunderstanding by Bobby Duffy as a Christmas gift to myself.

Per amazon.ca:

It is a scary read. The US is one of the worst countries as far as lack of knowledge of actual facts is concerned but no country comes out well.

And, of course, I would not be fulfilling my Canadian heritage if I did not point you all to Talking to Americans ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282195/ ).
Canada? Where's that? Is it in Africa? What language you speak there?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 01:05 AM   #33
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
In Trumpworld, it's 120% Person, 120% Woman, 120% Man, 120% Camera, 120% TV. Go big or go home.
Don't be silly. In Trumpworld, it's 100% Trump. Nothing else of note exists.
Old 21st March 2022, 01:16 AM   #34
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

The one being reported here says “Poll data: January 14 - 20, 2022”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...yth-is-winning

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics