ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2019, 01:12 PM   #561
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think most people don't understand how big and diverse America really is. Perhaps the Russians and the Chinese have an inkling. It's fairly obvious that the average European has zero context.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 02:00 PM   #562
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
You make tea in a coffee maker? It can't steep.
Back in the 1880s a gentleman named Sir Tetley Lipton Tea-Bagg invented a method of tea-making where you put the tea into a cup of hot water. He was of course rewarded by the Queen for his services, she made him Duke of Canada and also a vampire. Today he's a hardboiled detective taking on the cases even the cops won't touch. When Santa Claus was murdered over a drug debt who took the case? When the Spice Girls lost their amulets and the whole Earth was threatened by Queen Beryl who saved the day? When Jesus attempted to return who prevented him using only a safety pin, chewing gum, and a rubber band? That's right: Sherlock Holmes, Star Princess Megumi-Chan Robo Super Plus, and MacGuyver, respectively, but still the most common method for tea in America is individual tea bags in the cup or mug.
Old 30th November 2019, 02:02 PM   #563
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I didn't know that. I had heard differently. I wonder why Americans are so resistant to the things?

I think it all boils down to not drinking much tea.
Old 30th November 2019, 02:13 PM   #564
xjx388
Philosopher

I think the post you're responding to was 'Poorsplaining'.

If you mean that I was poor once, then sure. Kettles don’t really apply but substitute any convenience appliance: microwave, VCR, coffeemaker, ...

I think it’s just pure logic. If you can’t afford the item, you figure out how to work around it. Kettles seem to be a peculiarly UK/European thing but no less “necessary and efficient” than any of the other things I named. My wife and I didn’t have any of those things for the early part of our adult life and they were ubiquitous, “can’t-live-without” items. We did without. I just don’t believe that being poor means you necessarily somehow end up spending more money.
Old 30th November 2019, 02:49 PM   #565
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

I know electric kettles are relatively common in my part of Canada. They're certainly available in the shops. However I have a very small social circle, so I can't estimate what percentage of the population that has one in their kitchen.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:38 PM   #566
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
If you mean that I was poor once, then sure. Kettles don’t really apply but substitute any convenience appliance: microwave, VCR, coffeemaker, ...

I think it’s just pure logic. If you can’t afford the item, you figure out how to work around it. Kettles seem to be a peculiarly UK/European thing but no less “necessary and efficient” than any of the other things I named. My wife and I didn’t have any of those things for the early part of our adult life and they were ubiquitous, “can’t-live-without” items. We did without. I just don’t believe that being poor means you necessarily somehow end up spending more money.
Not really, your counter to the point that people on low incomes have to use less efficient workarounds that end up costing them more in the long run than the options that are open to people with greater resources is that people without sufficient resources should find a less efficient workaround. As rebuttals go it's hardly a great one.

(BTW: Over here, the cheaper alternative to a coffee maker is a kettle)

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 30th November 2019 at 03:56 PM.
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:43 PM   #567
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I know electric kettles are relatively common in my part of Canada. They're certainly available in the shops. However I have a very small social circle, so I can't estimate what percentage of the population that has one in their kitchen.
I'm very unusual in the UK as a rarely use a kettle and don't drink a lot of hot drinks, but I'd find the absence of a kettle strange. Over here they're as close to universal as any electrical appliance beyond the light bulb.

P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:54 PM   #568
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Back in the 1880s a gentleman named Sir Tetley Lipton Tea-Bagg invented a method of tea-making where you put the tea into a cup of hot water. He was of course rewarded by the Queen for his services, she made him Duke of Canada and also a vampire. Today he's a hardboiled detective taking on the cases even the cops won't touch. When Santa Claus was murdered over a drug debt who took the case? When the Spice Girls lost their amulets and the whole Earth was threatened by Queen Beryl who saved the day? When Jesus attempted to return who prevented him using only a safety pin, chewing gum, and a rubber band? That's right: Sherlock Holmes, Star Princess Megumi-Chan Robo Super Plus, and MacGuyver, respectively, but still the most common method for tea in America is individual tea bags in the cup or mug.
That's a lot of words to not answer the question.

We put a tea bag in a mug then fill it with boiling water from a kettle, oddly we in the UK have heard of both cups and tea bags (containing tea in paper pouches dates back to the Tang dynasty in China). This great bit of sarcasm doesn't actually explain how you make a decent cup of tea with a coffee maker since coffee makers heat the water in a slow stream of not quite boiling water passing through the coffee grounds as that's a good way to make coffee. Tea on the other hand needs to be steeped in a larger quantity of water that has literally just come off the boil and has not been allowed to cool.

I don't even drink tea but I know that really hot water is essential if you don't want to end up a cup of tepid slightly brown water.

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 30th November 2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 30th November 2019, 04:09 PM   #569
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Best Buy is a nationwide American chain of home electronics stores. They sell 52 different electric kettles which are typically used to heat water for tea. Usually there are around a half dozen kinds stocked in the stores.

At their website: Best Buy --> Small Kitchen Appliances --> Coffee, Tea & Espresso --> Tea Kettles --> Electric Tea Kettles
Old 30th November 2019, 04:12 PM   #570
deadrose
Illuminator

Electric kettles have gotten a bit more uptake the past year or so as people got into the classic pour-over coffee-brewing method. It's handy for Luchog as they were able to get one with programmable water temperatures for all the different types of tea (white, green, oolong, black, pu-erh etc) when the one my daughter had sent from Canada gave up the ghost.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 04:28 PM   #571
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think most people don't understand how big and diverse America really is. Perhaps the Russians and the Chinese have an inkling. It's fairly obvious that the average European has zero context.
Good point, Europe is so much smaller, less diverse and has fewer people than the US.

Derp.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 04:38 PM   #572
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That's a lot of words to not answer the question.

We put a tea bag in a mug then fill it with boiling water from a kettle, oddly we in the UK have heard of both cups and tea bags (containing tea in paper pouches dates back to the Tang dynasty in China). This great bit of sarcasm doesn't actually explain how you make a decent cup of tea with a coffee maker since coffee makers heat the water in a slow stream of not quite boiling water passing through the coffee grounds as that's a good way to make coffee. Tea on the other hand needs to be steeped in a larger quantity of water that has literally just come off the boil and has not been allowed to cool.

I don't even drink tea but I know that really hot water is essential if you don't want to end up a cup of tepid slightly brown water.

The household coffeemakers I'm familiar with heat up water. It doesn't matter whether it does it slowly pouring or not because when you're just heating up water you don't put a coffee filter or coffee in it: you just let the water heat up and fall into the glass thingy. Then you pour that into a cup with a teabag. It works just fine.
Old 30th November 2019, 05:04 PM   #573
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The household coffeemakers I'm familiar with heat up water. It doesn't matter whether it does it slowly pouring or not because when you're just heating up water you don't put a coffee filter or coffee in it: you just let the water heat up and fall into the glass thingy. Then you pour that into a cup with a teabag. It works just fine.
Well that would depend on how slowly, the drip coffee makers I've owned would were slow enough to allow the water to cool too much to make good tea and the hotplate doesn't keep water close enough to boiling, but thank you, that answers the question I asked.

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 30th November 2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 30th November 2019, 05:12 PM   #574
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Well that would depend on how slowly, the drip coffee makers I've owned would were slow enough to allow the water to cool too much to make good tea and the hotplate doesn't keep water close enough to boiling, but thank you, that answers the question I asked.
There's usually a hot plate beneath the glass bit, that keeps the water hot after it's dripped in.
Old 30th November 2019, 05:17 PM   #575
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

There's usually a hot plate beneath the glass bit, that keeps the water hot after it's dripped in.
Already considered.

Old 30th November 2019, 05:36 PM   #576
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I think it all boils down to not drinking much tea.

That may be the answer. Certainly I find the kettle handy because if I want one cup of tea (tea bag) by the time I have put the tea bag and the sugar in the cup, the kettle has boiled sufficient water to do the job.

Same for instant coffee actually, but I do realise this is probably philistinism beyond tolerance.
Old 30th November 2019, 05:39 PM   #577
Chanakya

How about we do a UKCM -- everyone gets a free kettle and a free coffee maker -- instead of this apparently contentious UBI idea?

Infants can be covered under a UMB scheme, and graduate to the UKCM when they're a bit older.

Last edited by Chanakya; 30th November 2019 at 05:42 PM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 06:12 PM   #578
Elaedith
Muse

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
How about we do a UKCM -- everyone gets a free kettle and a free coffee maker -- instead of this apparently contentious UBI idea?

Infants can be covered under a UMB scheme, and graduate to the UKCM when they're a bit older.
If you give everyone a free kettle and a free coffee maker, they will try to live off tea and coffee for ever and make no effort to acquire any other kitchen appliances.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:02 PM   #579
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

The point isn't that you end up spending more money, it's that you end up spending more money per unit of goods that you are buying. If you can afford to buy in bulk, you can get a discount. If you can afford to buy higher quality items, at least some times those things last longer and you end up saving money in the long term. If you can afford to buy a car instead of leasing, you end up spending less on the car even though in the short term the person on a lease is spending less.

What it really comes down to is that capital can be invested, and that pays off over the long term. This shouldn't be controversial.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 09:52 AM   #580
Suddenly
No Punting

Poor person: It costs more for me to have the same things a rich person has because my lack of funds preclude me from optimal economic behavior. For, example, I can't afford a good electric kettle to make tea so I end up replacing it and spending more in the long run. There are other examples.

Rich Person: WTF are you doing drinking tea if you are so poor? Maybe if you didn't drink tea you would be able to buy a better kettle.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 10:32 AM   #581
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I must admit that I am a little skeptical about the extent of how much poverty costs money.

Sure, if it means constantly getting pay day loans or having to constantly negotiate with creditors to defer bills then this will be very costly. OTOH with a little budgeting you can easily avoid these debt traps.

The idea that buying in bulk necessarily saves money is also simplistic. Spoilage becomes a big factor when you buy a lot more of something than you need.

A big part of the cost of furniture and white goods is depreciation. You can get second hand items for as little as a tenth of the cost of the new item (especially if you hunt flea markets etc) and still last a reasonable length of time. I know, I have had times when second hand was my only option.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:46 AM   #582
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Kettles etc are small potatoes. The real economic difference between well-off and poor is retirement. Those who make enough income to save and invest are going to have a radically different lifestyle in old age than those who will be totally reliant on Social Security in old age...and the amount you get from SS depends on how much your income was when you were working. Some people will never be able to retire. Others will live even better than they did while working.
Old 1st December 2019, 08:24 PM   #583
NewtonTrino
Illuminator

Kettles etc are small potatoes. The real economic difference between well-off and poor is retirement. Those who make enough income to save and invest are going to have a radically different lifestyle in old age than those who will be totally reliant on Social Security in old age...and the amount you get from SS depends on how much your income was when you were working. Some people will never be able to retire. Others will live even better than they did while working.
All of these terms like "well off" are super vague.

Most people living in the USA are well off by any reasonable global standard.

Wealthy people have yachts and fly around in private jets.
NewtonTrino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 08:47 PM   #584
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by NewtonTrino View Post

Are you arguing that people too poor to retire should consider themselves well off?
Old 2nd December 2019, 03:24 AM   #585
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

NVM

Old 2nd December 2019, 05:37 AM   #586
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Are you arguing that people too poor to retire should consider themselves well off?
Dunno about him, but I might.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 06:03 AM   #587
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dunno about him, but I might.
Is that based on the popular internet theory "someone else has it worse so you aren't allowed to complain about anything?"
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:40 AM   #588
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

UBI might not work mainly the money is too low to get into apt as you generally need 2x income per person to qualify so the theory that 5 people living on UBI can get into an apt is false because they would need 10k month income not 5k. They would have to move into at least a 3 bedroom too
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:49 AM   #589
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is that based on the popular internet theory "someone else has it worse so you aren't allowed to complain about anything?"
It is not. That's a stupid theory and I wouldn't base an argument on it.
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:28 AM   #590
Distracted1
Illuminator

"reasonable" is also pretty vague in that usage.
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:32 AM   #591
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yep. Poor people are poor anywhere. Rich people are rich everywhere. In between are people who are more or less well off depending on their context.
Old 2nd December 2019, 02:42 PM   #592
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

In between are people who are more or less well off depending on their context.
And I've decided to call them "White Collar," because it doesn't matter what that means to anyone else.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 02:51 PM   #593
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
And I've decided to call them "White Collar," because it doesn't matter what that means to anyone else.
As long as it means something to someone, and is scrutable from context, I don't mind.
Old 2nd December 2019, 03:25 PM   #594
NewtonTrino
Illuminator

Yes pretty much. Compared to most of the world they indeed are. Compared to most of history they indeed are.

Also, if you get to 65 and you have no savings and you never paid into social security you might have screwed up somewhere along the line.
NewtonTrino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 04:43 PM   #595
Suddenly
No Punting

Yes pretty much. Compared to most of the world they indeed are. Compared to most of history they indeed are.
Which is fine in a sort of appreciation kind of thing if you are in the whole "all existence is pain so any relief from that should be appreciated" Buddhist type stuff. That is, however, a personal choice.

As an excuse to not give a crap about people that could be helped it stinks...
Quote:

Also, if you get to 65 and you have no savings and you never paid into social security you might have screwed up somewhere along the line.
...and people are known to look for excuses to do just that.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:07 PM   #596
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

So? Does that improve any situation, to point out that another situation is worse? Does it ease your cancer to hear about MS? Is your dead kid less saddening if someone's twin kids die?

Quote:
I didn't say anything about not paying into SS. Paying into SS isn't going to be enough for many/most people. As for savings, not everyone makes enough money to save anything. Do you really not understand the concept of "working poor"? Do you think every job pays adequately to live well, and retire from?
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:10 AM   #597
ahhell
Master Poster

Funny, my dad lives better in retirement than he did while working and he never made more than $40k/year(jfor inflation even) in his life. Granted, he's not exactly typical.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:15 AM   #598
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey;12910974... As for savings, [i
not everyone makes enough money to save anything[/i]. Do you really not understand the concept of "working poor"? Do you think every job pays adequately to live well, and retire from?
<sarcasm>But then, that's their fault innit? </sarcasm>
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:49 AM   #599
NewtonTrino
Illuminator

So? Does that improve any situation, to point out that another situation is worse? Does it ease your cancer to hear about MS? Is your dead kid less saddening if someone's twin kids die?

I didn't say anything about not paying into SS. Paying into SS isn't going to be enough for many/most people. As for savings, not everyone makes enough money to save anything. Do you really not understand the concept of "working poor"? Do you think every job pays adequately to live well, and retire from?
So this is the opposite of reality. The poorer you are the more you can't afford to not save something! The less you have the more you have to be careful with your limited resources.

I do not accept this idea that people for their entire lives are in an emergency situation that doesn't allow savings. I've seen way too many people turn around their finances with some education.

What you are really saying is people can't afford to save if they want to live a lifestyle that's typically american (e.g. fancier than most people on earth).
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:16 AM   #600
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

So this is the opposite of reality. The poorer you are the more you can't afford to not save something! The less you have the more you have to be careful with your limited resources.

I do not accept this idea that people for their entire lives are in an emergency situation that doesn't allow savings. I've seen way too many people turn around their finances with some education.

What you are really saying is people can't afford to save if they want to live a lifestyle that's typically american (e.g. fancier than most people on earth).
What I'm really saying is that one must have resources in excess of needs in order to save. You appear to be incapable of grasping the possibility that not everybody has resources in excess of their needs.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events