ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 29th November 2019, 11:39 AM   #121
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This Canadian would like to see more anti-Trump Americans admitted to Canada. Anyone who wants to come for that reason is probably smart enough to be an asset to Canada.
On the other hand if we remove the anti-Trump Americans from the US, what's left? The US still has the nukes.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 11:40 AM   #122
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
That's very questionable at best, but you make it absolutely absurd when you claim it's "naive" to think otherwise. Where are these people? Point one of them out to me, please.

The same people who would approve of someone like Trump approve of this specific instance of Trumpish behavior.

Again I'm not going to argue against any version of "Oh the Dems? They don't need checks and balances because everything they are doing is for the greater good because it will stop Trump" kind of argument.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 11:45 AM   #123
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again I'm not going to argue against any version of "Oh the Dems? They don't need checks and balances because everything they are doing is for the greater good because it will stop Trump" kind of argument.
I'm not asking you to argue against that, I'm asking you to support your claim that so many Dems are currently harboring wishes for their own Trump.

Go ahead: Find some of these people for me. Provide examples.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 11:45 AM   #124
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
On the other hand if we remove the anti-Trump Americans from the US, what's left? The US still has the nukes.
Point taken. Although leaving for Canada should be voluntary, not compulsory. Perhaps there will be enough anti-Trump Americans who are willing to stay and work towards post-Trump that the nuclear threat can be alleviated.
Old 29th November 2019, 11:45 AM   #125
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Republicans for the Rule Of Law are going to be airing a new 32 second ad. Last week, they launched a campaign aimed at educating GOP voters who have continued to support Trump despite the facts in the Ukraine scandal clearly showing his criminal behaviour

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The ad is going to air on Faux News’ morning show “Fox & Friends” for several days.

Firstly, I'm really surprised that Rupert Murdoch would even allow this.

Secondly, if he doesn't give it the axe, does that indicate the beginnings of a change in Faux News policy towards blindly supporting Trump?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 11:56 AM   #126
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You must have an IV with a constant GOP Kool Aid drip.
Politicians have always foisted partisan, fact-deprived bs -- during Watergate and now. (Although in the age of Trump, it's so brazen it's a surreal joke.) A big difference back then, there wasn't a Fox News Channel legitimizing "alternate facts". The Trump cultists exist within a bubble that's hard for us fact-based people to comprehend. Just watch Fox and nothing else for a week.
Old 29th November 2019, 12:03 PM   #127
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Politicians have always foisted partisan, fact-deprived bs -- during Watergate and now. (Although in the age of Trump, it's so brazen it's a surreal joke.) A big difference back then, there wasn't a Fox News Channel legitimizing "alternate facts". The Trump cultists exist within a bubble that's hard for us fact-based people to comprehend. Just watch Fox and nothing else for a week.
You misspelled "foistered".

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 12:05 PM   #128
autumn1971
Illuminator

Exactly! I cannot say how strongly they disgust me with their blatant hypocrisy and party before country actions.
We should all just start capitalizing “The Party” now in regards to Republicans.

It’s only a matter of time before the official Censors declare it to be law.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 12:20 PM   #129
Stacyhs
Philosopher

What have I ever done to you to make you say such an awful thing?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 12:33 PM   #130
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Five minutes of "Fox & Friends" was all I could stomach.

Also, is Laura Ingraham the most bigoted racist bitch on television? Is she really the horrible person she appears to be, or is that just a fake front for TV?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 12:48 PM   #131
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Also, is Laura Ingraham the most bigoted racist bitch on television? Is she really the horrible person she appears to be, or is that just a fake front for TV?
It can be argued that title should belong to Jeanine Pirro.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 12:52 PM   #132
Belz...
Fiend God

It can be argued that title should belong to Jeanine Pirro.
Pirro seems to have found her one true love: Dear Leader Donald Trump. The other day she called him "almost superhuman". For ****'s sake, girl. He's a big fat, lying idiot. You can find better.

Old 29th November 2019, 12:57 PM   #133
Suddenly
No Punting

Well, maybe add in viewing 20 or so hours of facebook right wing memes for the full effect.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 01:11 PM   #134
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Please help me understand: which moral principle is being violated by the House investigating the President?
He's projecting, IMO.

Now I'll check to see if your question is answered, because I'd like to know as well. Maybe he has a detailed and concrete response.

ETA: Nope, not yet. Which is diappointing. Beyond the role-playing there might be an interesting conversation.

Last edited by Minoosh; 29th November 2019 at 01:23 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 01:20 PM   #135
Cain
Straussian

Her gay brother has said she's actually kind-hearted and wonderful. Just kidding. He says she's a "monster."
Old 29th November 2019, 02:37 PM   #136
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This Canadian would like to see more anti-Trump Americans admitted to Canada. Anyone who wants to come for that reason is probably smart enough to be an asset to Canada.

This Canadian would like to see them stay in the US and help fix this ****.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:59 PM   #137
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
This Canadian would like to see them stay in the US and help fix this ****.
You think it can be fixed? I think US politics will remain broken for a generation, maybe two.
Old 29th November 2019, 04:17 PM   #138
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I could not handle “The Handmaid’s Tale”, but I don’t think it’s much of a spoiler to say it opens with a family trying to escape into Canada.

Hopefully we won’t have a case of life imitating art!
Old 29th November 2019, 04:24 PM   #139
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'd just prefer to live there, not give up my citizenship. At least until I can vote against Trump once more.
Old 29th November 2019, 05:44 PM   #140
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd just prefer to live there, not give up my citizenship. At least until I can vote against Trump once more.
And then when Trump wins again, I want you to load me onto a catapult and shoot me into Canada.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 06:25 PM   #141
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
And then when Trump wins again, I want you to load me onto a catapult and shoot me into Canada.
Me first. I'll show you the ropes. Literally.
Old 29th November 2019, 07:09 PM   #142
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Not surprising Democrats support Schiff and his bunker star chamber. Not surprising at all. For some reason, people who have lost their moral compass never seem to realize it until it is too late to unring that bell. You know, having hit it with a sledgehammer, and all...
I'm curious why you'd bring up morality in defence of a notorious scofflaw like Trump. He will spend the rest of his addled life in lawsuits over the stupid, greedy things he's done as president. It's just sensible damage control to try to get rid of him now, though the cards are stacked against it due to the partisan Senate. You can't blame the honest people for trying.
Old 29th November 2019, 07:21 PM   #143
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I have looked into it. It's not easy. The Canadians don't want us.
Maybe it's because Canada doesn't want any immigrants from ****-hole countries

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 07:33 PM   #144
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Well, we don't want Republicans, due to sanitary and moral concerns, and I think we'd rather see Democrats stay in their country to fight the good fight. So in sum, yeah.
Old 29th November 2019, 07:52 PM   #145
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Plaintiff in Chief: A Portrait of Donald Trump in 3,500 Lawsuits, Kindle Ed; by James D. Zirin

What were you saying, Brooklyn, about lost moral compasses?
Old 29th November 2019, 07:56 PM   #146
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Nominated!
Old 29th November 2019, 08:33 PM   #147
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

PBS reporter gets the imaginary shoe through the TV tonight. Don't these idiots make any effort whatsoever to actually read the news before they spout ignorance? Pinnacle of lazy.

Reporter (if we can call her that): "Unless something else comes up, the Congress will impeach and the Senate will acquit."

Apparently no one on the panel had heard about Rudy's two arrested friends and the growing scandal with Naftogaz.

The discussion went on about the hearings ending, yadda yadda.

Hello. Nadler has just started. Mon is Dec 1st. The hearings are not ending.

I posted a long list a couple pages upthread with the same complaint against Turley and Graham.
Old 29th November 2019, 11:29 PM   #148
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
PBS reporter gets the imaginary shoe through the TV tonight. Don't these idiots make any effort whatsoever to actually read the news before they spout ignorance? Pinnacle of lazy.

Reporter (if we can call her that): "Unless something else comes up, the Congress will impeach and the Senate will acquit."

Apparently no one on the panel had heard about Rudy's two arrested friends and the growing scandal with Naftogaz.

The discussion went on about the hearings ending, yadda yadda.

Hello. Nadler has just started. Mon is Dec 1st. The hearings are not ending.

I posted a long list a couple pages upthread with the same complaint against Turley and Graham.
The Judiciary just gave Trump until Dec 6 to call (or at least identify) witnesses they plan to have testify.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 12:45 AM   #149
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The Judiciary just gave Trump until Dec 6 to call (or at least identify) witnesses they plan to have testify.
And I would bet *********** Donnie won't be among them.
Old 30th November 2019, 12:51 AM   #150
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

And I would bet *********** Donnie won't be among them.
As he has said, he'd love to testify because his testimony would completely demolish the case for impeachment and have him carried shoulder high out of the impeachment proceedings by a bi-partisan group dazzled by his brilliance and righteousness.

Unfortunately this would set a dangerous precedent for future Presidents and so, for the good of the country and against his own self-interest, he will have to decline.

...and if you believe that, I have a bridge out back that might interest you.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 02:59 AM   #151
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

That's what I found as well. All I wanted was to move myself, my wife, and a couple of million dollars in assets into their country, spend my pension and Social Security on their economy, and not take any jobs away from Canadians. Ain't happening.
The UK is going to need an influx of money soon.
Old 30th November 2019, 03:04 AM   #152
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Firstly, I'm really surprised that Rupert Murdoch would even allow this.
Murdoch isn't a Trump supporter. He's reportedly thinks Trump is a (and I quote) "******* moron", and also reportedly has personal animosity against him.

Murdoch is a supporter of Murdoch making money. Being biased in favour of Trump makes Fox News a lot of money, so that's what Fox News does.

The instant it becomes more profitable to do something else, they will do something else.

Quote:
Secondly, if he doesn't give it the axe, does that indicate the beginnings of a change in Faux News policy towards blindly supporting Trump?
It's been gradual, but that swing has been happening for quite a while now.
Old 30th November 2019, 07:16 AM   #153
eerok
Quixoticist

That's what I found as well. All I wanted was to move myself, my wife, and a couple of million dollars in assets into their country, spend my pension and Social Security on their economy, and not take any jobs away from Canadians. Ain't happening.
Are you serious? I can't imagine that you couldn't retire to Canada if you have assets and an income. I didn't think we were that exclusive.
Old 30th November 2019, 07:37 AM   #154
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
The House Democrats’ goal is upholding the Constitution by acting as a check on executive abuse.

Do you agree or disagree with this?
I think it's 100% an unproven claim. I don't think there's any more reason to believe it than there is to believe Lindsay Graham.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 07:52 AM   #155
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think it's 100% an unproven claim. I don't think there's any more reason to believe it than there is to believe Lindsay Graham.
I think it is clearer than you think.

1) Is trump alleged to have done something people think is wrong?

Yes. Not even trump seems to think what he is accused of is acceptable.

2) is there evidence for it?

Yes.

3) would pursuing it be in line with legislative checks against the executive?

Yes.

Then its far less evidence for Graham's position.

In that way, we are one step closer to believing the Democrat intent compared to Graham.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 08:20 AM   #156
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

There's all sorts of things wrong here.

First, there are many motivations at play. Checks and balances. Constitutional duty. Retaining seat. Partisan gain. Personal animosity. A mix of these factors. This is obvious based on human nature and the large number of people we're talking about.

Second, this is always going to be the case, no matter the party, no matter the underlying facts and extent of POTUS' culpability.

Lindsay Graham talks out both sides of his mouth. This guy makes Eve White seem positively normal. Further, in the surreal reality where Trump's actions don't merit impeachment, Bill Clinton's actions shouldn't have merited a raised eyebrow. Likening Graham's position on Clinton and Dems' position on Trump is high level bogus.
Old 30th November 2019, 08:22 AM   #157
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The UK is going to need an influx of money soon.
That would require taking an airplane. I used to work where they build them.

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Are you serious? I can't imagine that you couldn't retire to Canada if you have assets and an income. I didn't think we were that exclusive.
I didn't get beyond searching on the internet, but you weren't welcoming. They wanted people who had job skills. May have been worried about the effect us oldsters would have on the health care system.
Old 30th November 2019, 08:28 AM   #158
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The reason I live in WA state is because I tried to move to Canada and they wouldn't let me in. Actually. (Not Canada's fault, not my fault, but the fault of the flakes who were trying to employ me.) Thus began the chapter titled Living in a Motel in White Rock, BC.

Last edited by varwoche; 30th November 2019 at 08:32 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 08:30 AM   #159
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post

Canada gives immigration applicants points for education, work and language skills, assets etc., and you don't get in without enough points. Each province has its own requirements. Retirees don't get a lot of points, even if you've got money in the bank. I'm sure there must be work-arounds, but I suspect they could be expensive and time-consuming. You don't just drive a Uhaul across the border and buy a house.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 08:31 AM   #160
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I can understand that. One ought to be skeptical about the political motivations of impeachment.

But it doesn't matter to me whether the Democrats' hearts are pure as the driven snow, selflessly pursuing justice against all self-interest or whether they are devious Machiavellans, seeking impeachment only out of selfish considerations. What matters to me is what Trump did and whether it is an abuse of his office.

I do not think that Trump's scheme had any motivation aside from self-interest. There is no indication of concern about corruption in Ukraine, aside from the fantasies which would benefit him were they to become publicly discussed. He withheld both funds needed for military aid and the White House meeting only to benefit himself, while aiding Ukraine is quite plausibly in the national interest and certainly is what Congress required.

That's enough for me. Trump ought to be impeached and removed. The latter is very unlikely at this point, but that doesn't matter to me.

For what it's worth, whether the Democrats were similarly interested only in political gain or not, I don't anticipate much gain from the impeachment. I think backlash is more likely. It doesn't matter to me, naive idealist that I am, because impeachment is nonetheless the right course. (The Democrats are of course not praiseworthy unless they pursued it because it was the right course, and not because it was motivated by selfish concerns.)
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics