IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bigfoot sightings , NAWAC

Closed Thread
Old 10th March 2015, 10:25 AM   #361
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Here's what I think is truly bizarre....she is the moderator...correct?
So a post that she allows to be posted is used as a reason to shutdown the discussion?
Ahhhh that is baffling behavior!
Why would this post compel a pro blogger to shutdown one of their most active threads?
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...4AE88461EE.jpg
Geez that Olevrec sounds like a total meanie head.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 10:27 AM   #362
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I guess IMO too much emphasis and concern is being placed on what Sharon says and thinks. Stumbles with critical thinking can happen when one single person goes forth as a "mouthpiece" for skepticism. I commonly disagree with what "professional" skeptics have to say about Bigfootery as it seems that they are often disconnected from what seems to be really going on.

Putting that aside, there are just way too many comments for Sharon to properly address them all and any response she would make would be followed by more comments demanding more responses from her. It's obviously a very hot topic and the Bigfooter loons have invaded her comment section as well.
Not to mention that a whole bunch of Pro-Bigfooter sites on Facebook and also a thread on BFF has said "What a good skeptical website, look at these awesome comments from a skeptic" and linked to her article. She is going to go down as the skeptic that was forced to shut down her comments, by the same evil skeptics that constantly call us liars and fakes.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 10:40 AM   #363
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Her "unusual stance" may possibly be attributed to her new skeptical consulting business. She may feel that projecting denialism would hinder her marketability. If her position on all Bigfoot claims is known in advance then people might not hire her to consult on specific "new evidence".

I'm just speculating and could be totally wrong.
Old 10th March 2015, 10:58 AM   #364
The Shrike
Philosopher

I commonly disagree with what "professional" skeptics have to say about Bigfootery as it seems that they are often disconnected from what seems to be really going on.
Bang-on. One of the reasons I dig so deeply into bigfoot skepticism (though admittedly not near as deeply as others do) is that our mainstream skeptical celebrities tend to be woefully ignorant of the topic.

Putting that aside, there are just way too many comments for Sharon to properly address . . .
Disagree. She has one question to answer if she so chooses: What is compelling at Area X? She's avoided addressing that question like a little kid hiding from an appointment with the dentist.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 11:25 AM   #365
rockinkt
Master Poster

<snip>
Putting that aside, there are just way too many comments for Sharon to properly address... <snip>
There is nothing stopping her from posting her answer to Shrike's question in this thread as she is an active member here.

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Disagree. She has one question to answer if she so chooses: What is compelling at Area X? She's avoided addressing that question like a little kid hiding from an appointment with the dentist.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 11:37 AM   #366
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She doesn't use this forum anymore for discussing specific skeptical topics.
Old 10th March 2015, 11:45 AM   #367
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Geez that Olevrec sounds like a total meanie head.
I always knew you were the smart one!
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 12:14 PM   #368
rockinkt
Master Poster

She doesn't use this forum anymore for discussing specific skeptical topics.
I guess there's no money or fame in posting here.

However, she once did and here is Sharon Hill's post on this forum from 22 June 2014:

Quote:
The most interesting Bigfoot documentaries are about the people and how they incorporate belief into their lives.

It's actually REALLY BORING to hear more eyewitness stories. They are useless.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post10083176

Her last post was 02 March 2015 - so she still remembers her password.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 10th March 2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: remove bolding from quote
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 01:37 PM   #369
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I've mentioned the bigfoot black hole before.

Get too close, and the pull is too strong.

Soon you cross the woo horizon and get bigfoot-shifted.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 01:45 PM   #370
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=The Shrike;10520429]Bang-on. One of the reasons I dig so deeply into bigfoot skepticism (though admittedly not near as deeply as others do) is that our mainstream skeptical celebrities tend to be woefully ignorant of the topic.

Topic: Some people believe that there is an unidentified large hairy biped living in some forested areas of North America.

Compelling evidence provided for this creature: None.

Ignorance: ?
Old 10th March 2015, 02:05 PM   #371
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Good grief thinned skinned and a potty mouth!
http://s796.photobucket.com/user/RCM...7D032.png.html

So instead of addressing the issue....she shuts down the discussion?

Edited by zooterkin:  Edited for rule 10; converted hotlink to image to ordinary link.
Just looking for some clarification
It's a screen capture sent to photobucket account is that a violation?
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 02:27 PM   #372
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

I'd imagine it's not just Sharon Hill who's waiting to come out of the closet. If this thing were to be proven, there will be a whole bunch of people out in the woods doing wood knocks and howls. The number of footers would go up dramatically. On another note, it would encourage scientists to keep a more open mind to the world, which I think is equally as important as skepticism. This NAWAC monograph though, isn't going to do ****.

Assuming they're telling the truth, the last thing they need to hear right now is a bunch of people telling them "good job".
They need to put the monkey on the table so to speak. Otherwise, their efforts will probably be in vain.

Last edited by OntarioSquatch; 10th March 2015 at 02:40 PM.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 02:45 PM   #373
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Just looking for some clarification
It's a screen capture sent to photobucket account is that a violation?
No, but the picture had a bad word in it. That's why it was converted to a link, so the bad word would not be visible.

Last edited by jhunter1163; 10th March 2015 at 02:46 PM.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 02:56 PM   #374
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
No, but the picture had a bad word in it. That's why it was converted to a link, so the bad word would not be visible.
Got it...my bad!
Old 10th March 2015, 03:18 PM   #375
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Ignorance: ?
Think of it as ignorance of bigfooter debate tactics. Did you ever hear someone speak to a creationist about evolution and cringe to hear them fall prey to creationist rhetorical tricks? It doesn't make evolution less true but there are a great many gifted biologists who could be made a monkey* by even one so amateurish as Ken Ham.

*ironic, no?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 03:29 PM   #376
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
I'd imagine it's not just Sharon Hill who's waiting to come out of the closet.
The closet? You mean the closet like...

"Hello, my name is Sharon Hill and I'm a Bigfoot Believer."

Like that kind of closet?
Old 10th March 2015, 03:30 PM   #377
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

The closet? You mean the closet like...

"Hello, my name is Sharon Hill and I'm a Bigfoot Believer."

Like that kind of closet?
Yes, precisely
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 03:44 PM   #378
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yes, precisely
Holy Dogman, Batman!
Old 10th March 2015, 04:02 PM   #379
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Assuming they're telling the truth
Why would anyone do that?

Quote:
They need to put the monkey on the table so to speak.
Well, that's not going to happen
Quote:
Otherwise, their efforts will probably be in vain.
What efforts? Drinking beer and farting?

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 04:09 PM   #380
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Why would anyone do that?

Well, that's not going to happen

What efforts? Drinking beer and farting?
When one is out searching for something as elusive as Bigfoot, beer and an outdoor recliner are eventually going to be a necessity.
Old 10th March 2015, 04:17 PM   #381
The Shrike
Philosopher

Ontario, Sharon Hill is not a Bigfoot believer. Some of us are just questioning why she has stated that it's important to be open-minded about NAWAC and what she thinks our minds are supposed to be open to.
Old 10th March 2015, 07:11 PM   #382
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

When one is out searching for something as elusive as Bigfoot, beer and an outdoor recliner are eventually going to be a necessity.
Yeah, that's what science is all about. Attenborough said something similar once, I'm sure...

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 09:01 PM   #383
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

Guys, if I may be so bold...

10 pages of nondiscussion because why?

The guy doesn't post here. He's clearly lying. This should have been over a long time ago.
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 09:07 PM   #384
GT/CS
Illuminator

But people like you keep moving it forward.
Old 10th March 2015, 09:13 PM   #385
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

People like me?

I've said very little to nothing on this topic. I'm just reflecting on the attention it's been given.

I hope people like you can understand my point of view.

Last edited by Squatchy McSquatch; 10th March 2015 at 09:21 PM.
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 09:15 PM   #386
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Ontario, Sharon Hill is not a Bigfoot believer. Some of us are just questioning why she has stated that it's important to be open-minded about NAWAC and what she thinks our minds are supposed to be open to.
How is it possible that a supposed reasonable rational person, who was enough of a skeptic to actually run her own Internet blog on the subject of "skepticism" in general, and in fact has been writing about it on a regular basis, all of a sudden completely lose the ability to do exactly what she's been doing all along? Offering reasoned and rational skeptic's thoughts on everything including Bigfoot. It appears now she can only feebly curse like an old man in his front yard at the people who question her, despite having at least three legitimate arenas (ISF, Doubtful site, TBRC) to properly explain herself.

There's only one thing that could have happened. She was kidnapped and her site has been hacked. I'm guessing by those NAWAC goons. Somebody needs to call the authorities.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 09:25 PM   #387
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

This could also be a premature and drawn-out April Fool's joke.
Old 10th March 2015, 09:28 PM   #388
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squatchy McSquatch View Post
Guys, if I may be so bold...

10 pages of nondiscussion because why?

The guy doesn't post here. He's clearly lying. This should have been over a long time ago.
I guess if this is the case then why bother discussing anything "Bigfoot" at all? It doesn't exist.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 09:31 PM   #389
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Woo Dapes.
Old 10th March 2015, 09:34 PM   #390
River
Illuminator

They arent talking about the kind of wood like oak or pine. Wood apes has a completely different meaning for this group of people.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2015, 09:40 PM   #391
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

I know a true believer when I see one. ChrisBFRPKY for example, is not a believer. Sharon Hill on the other hand is.
Old 10th March 2015, 09:51 PM   #392
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
How is it possible that a supposed reasonable rational person, who was enough of a skeptic to actually run her own Internet blog on the subject of "skepticism" in general, and in fact has been writing about it on a regular basis, all of a sudden completely lose the ability to do exactly what she's been doing all along? Offering reasoned and rational skeptic's thoughts on everything including Bigfoot. It appears now she can only feebly curse like an old man in his front yard at the people who question her, despite having at least three legitimate arenas (ISF, Doubtful site, TBRC) to properly explain herself.

There's only one thing that could have happened. She was kidnapped and her site has been hacked. I'm guessing by those NAWAC goons. Somebody needs to call the authorities.
I still think it has something to do with her new business venture.
Old 10th March 2015, 10:59 PM   #393
Drewbot
Philosopher

I know a true believer when I see one. ChrisBFRPKY for example, is not a believer. Sharon Hill on the other hand is.
OS is there talk amongst the footers that Sharon Hill is 'out of the closet' as you said earlier? Or is this strictly your opinion? Do you feel the Nawac paper is going to bring droves of skeptics 'out of the closet'?
Old 10th March 2015, 11:23 PM   #394
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
OS is there talk amongst the footers that Sharon Hill is 'out of the closet' as you said earlier? Or is this strictly your opinion? Do you feel the Nawac paper is going to bring droves of skeptics 'out of the closet'?
The NAWAC paper is footer fapping material at best and without the monkey itself, it's of no real pleasure. As for Sharon Hill being a believer,
it's simply my own opinion.
Old 11th March 2015, 04:00 AM   #395
The Shrike
Philosopher

Sounds like Ontario is baiting a trap for Sharon to chime in here. I'm going to predict that, like a wood ape, Sharon will be smart enough to recognize the set up, and avoid it.

SMcS, the 10 pages address different aspects of a 200+ page report just released, with the added spice of a noted skeptic doing an apparent 180 (okay, maybe more like a 90) on a topic about which she's in large part built her career/persona.

Harry captures the gist quite well.

If NAWAC doesn't warrant 10 pages, how many is the PGF worth?
Old 11th March 2015, 04:28 AM   #396
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

A couple of squares.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2015, 05:00 AM   #397
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Sounds like Ontario is baiting a trap for Sharon to chime in here. I'm going to predict that, like a wood ape, Sharon will be smart enough to recognize the set up, and avoid it.

SMcS, the 10 pages address different aspects of a 200+ page report just released, with the added spice of a noted skeptic doing an apparent 180 (okay, maybe more like a 90) on a topic about which she's in large part built her career/persona.

Harry captures the gist quite well.

Heck how about one of you more eloquent members craft a thread on that very subject?
But in reality Sharon Hill doesn't have the brass to come here and address any of these issues IMO or do you Sharon?
Old 11th March 2015, 05:21 AM   #398
The Shrike
Philosopher

I thought that's what this thread was about - trying to determine what's different about NAWAC in Sharon's eyes.

She knows we're here and will participate (or not) on her own terms. I see no point in continually asking her to explain herself.

So far, she seems to be responding to the dust up as an example of us skeptics not being good skeptics but instead engaging in denialism.

Meanwhile, at Area X . . . a decided lack of bigfoots.
Old 11th March 2015, 05:21 AM   #399
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Her "unusual stance" may possibly be attributed to her new skeptical consulting business. She may feel that projecting denialism would hinder her marketability. If her position on all Bigfoot claims is known in advance then people might not hire her to consult on specific "new evidence".

I'm just speculating and could be totally wrong.
This seems to be the consensus here, and I agree with it.

I found the following half-remembered quote, attributed to Upton Sinclair:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

It has various corollaries.

Being skeptical isn't a profitable vocation else I think there would be a lot more skeptics. And what exactly is "skeptical consulting" anyway?

Last edited by Puppycow; 11th March 2015 at 05:23 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2015, 06:20 AM   #400
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
And what exactly is "skeptical consulting" anyway?
Rationalist Feng Shui?

WS
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal