IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bigfoot sightings , NAWAC

Closed Thread
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:11 AM   #3521
Jodie
Philosopher

In response to Gilbert, hormones are a powerful thing and they over ride all common sense. I think she might have been swayed if she had a teeny crush on BB but I don't know that for sure. It's the only thing that I can think of that would explain her responses and then no further comment.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; 22nd May 2017 at 09:13 AM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:17 AM   #3522
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Yes it certainly does, and I'm not bickering, just showing new comers to the thread that your comments should be weighted.

Here you are acting like the NAWAC people are acting, or mistaken, and yet you were on the BFF saying you had multiple Bigfoots stealing cigarette butts and walking across fields smoking them.

I think it is critical to show that your comments on the Sharon Hill thing, and the NAWAC project should be tempered by the knowledge that you are one of the lucky ones who has habituated the beasts.
Did you check the date on the post or choose to ignore it for the sake of the argument?

What happened after 2011? There is a multiple page diatribe of my conversion on here somewhere.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:21 AM   #3523
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I think it's wishful thinking, similar to my experience. I woke up but I can't speak to her current mind set.
So what is it about the NAWCKIES claims, (that you appear to once have supported or at least never challenged) that are so different from Painthorses claims?
Since they are so close to each other in presentation, as well as physically. It just seems a little odd to discount everything the NAWACKIES present as a fabrication and shall we say soft pedal on Painthorses claims.

Last edited by Cervelo; 22nd May 2017 at 09:25 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:23 AM   #3524
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

In response to Gilbert, hormones are a powerful thing and they over ride all common sense. I think she might have been swayed if she had a teeny crush on BB but I don't know that for sure. It's the only thing that I can think of that would explain her responses and then no further comment.
Those are perfectly natural things, but in relation to her online persona and how she portrays herself, they're chalk and cheese. I think she'd get more credit for admitting to her mistake and explaining why she felt so different about that particular lie above all other very similar lies that she's been privy to over the years in this world of Bigfootdom.

For whatever reason, she chose to react to the whole thing as though she were having a meltdown. That to me isn't exactly the height of "critical thinking."

I've got no issues with Sharon, I don't know her, but in terms of the person she's trying to portray herself as being, I don't buy into it and I think it's all a bit of grandiose posturing. That's not to say I think she's pretending to be a sceptic or anything, but I think she's very much in love with the idea of her being this intelligent sleuth who uses science as a weapon to fight fraudulent behaviour.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:25 AM   #3525
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
So what is it about the NAWCKIES claims, (that you appear to once have supported or at least never challenged) that are so different from Painthorses claims?
Since they are so close to each other in presentation, as well as physically. It just seems a liitle odd to discount everything the NAWACKIES present as a fabrication and shall we say soft pedal on Painthorses claims.
I'm less bothered by Painthorse's claims because she hasn't franchised it, it's her personal experience on her own property. NAWAC is a commercial operation hunting a figment of the imagination with tax incentives.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:48 AM   #3526
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Those are perfectly natural things, but in relation to her online persona and how she portrays herself, they're chalk and cheese. I think she'd get more credit for admitting to her mistake and explaining why she felt so different about that particular lie above all other very similar lies that she's been privy to over the years in this world of Bigfootdom.

For whatever reason, she chose to react to the whole thing as though she were having a meltdown. That to me isn't exactly the height of "critical thinking."

I've got no issues with Sharon, I don't know her, but in terms of the person she's trying to portray herself as being, I don't buy into it and I think it's all a bit of grandiose posturing. That's not to say I think she's pretending to be a sceptic or anything, but I think she's very much in love with the idea of her being this intelligent sleuth who uses science as a weapon to fight fraudulent behaviour.
You might be right about her attitude, I've picked up on the tone. Still, no one is 100% all of the time and I think she does a good job overall with what she's trying to accomplish.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:36 AM   #3527
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Well, she certainly enjoyed Lyle Blackburn's new book:
http://sharonahill.com/monster-tales...s-book-review/

Quote:
I appreciated the solid descriptions of famous accounts like Honobia, Area X and the Myakka ape account. I’ve not seen these done in a popular book. Therefore, this book serves, as the author’s others, as a useful comprehensive source for the subject and a must-have reference for anyone interested in cryptozoology. Blackburn admits some stuff sounds too outrageous to believe but his goal is to document the stories. When people tell you this really happened to them, what is an objective interviewer to do? Some additional skepticism would be refreshing though he hints at it in places, such as suggesting that skunk ape serial promoter Dave Shealy might be jerking our chain (p 250-251) (a widely-accepted notion).
Sharon, an objective interviewer might bring up cognitive biases, memory biases, maybe try and trip up the subject. All of which are more productive than throwing up one's hands and saying "Oh well, what can you do?"

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 02:36 PM   #3528
GT/CS
Illuminator

Jodie,
I'll make it simple. Bigfoot doesn't exist. Sharon knows Bigfoot doesn't exist so she had a motive for posting what she said about her trip to the cabin, and she doesn't have the courage or the character to explain it. That's known as being a coward and a liar, plus a few other adjectives.
It's not that she was conned by BB or others, because SHE KNOWS BIGFOOT DOESN'T EXIST.

Last edited by GT/CS; 22nd May 2017 at 03:01 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 02:58 PM   #3529
GT/CS
Illuminator

Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by GT/CS; 22nd May 2017 at 02:59 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 04:23 PM   #3530
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Jodie,
I'll make it simple. Bigfoot doesn't exist. Sharon knows Bigfoot doesn't exist so she had a motive for posting what she said about her trip to the cabin, and she doesn't have the courage or the character to explain it. That's known as being a coward and a liar, plus a few other adjectives.
It's not that she was conned by BB or others, because SHE KNOWS BIGFOOT DOESN'T EXIST.
Well whatever it was that happened never got revisited again. That could be for numerous reasons. Bigfoot doesn't exist but weird crap happens all of the time. If you are the skeptic sort, and you can't identify why something is happening, it can shake up your world pretty badly. Sometimes it's easier just to tuck it in a proverbial box and lock it away.

Last edited by Jodie; 22nd May 2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 22nd May 2017, 05:16 PM   #3531
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

What a loser today. Got a local world record birch down not far off, cut up and ready to load but it started off at a sprinkle and has just rained harder all day. Checked email and had a manuscript rejected at a place that published a bunch of my articles before no problem. Thought it was a cinch.

Some pick-me-up gems: Seeing Lincoln in a previous life. Bigfoot picking up cigarette butts. Brian Brown is a stud horse and Sharon was so lustful she lost her head. All good, but I'm still depressed.

This land at Area X, we've discussed that in-depth before in terms of visitorship, the logging, hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, bird-watching, mushroom picking, berries - I could never live there. It's a zoo. Cervelo posted pictures, confirming what we already knew - this isn't even 4wd terrain for the most part. If I recall correctly I posted maps showing there isn't anywhere in the whole region that is even a mile from a funded, maintained road. I was over 40 miles out at the furthest point on my last little expediting trip. Checked out a couple spots beyond the mine we were staging stuff at.

This winter the only evidence I saw for a fact that brought anyone else out on my main snow machine trail was a guy on snowshoes. I couldn't figure out what he was doing until I followed up to a birch tree. He would head off the trail a little ways to a birch tree, stomp around it a little, then return to the trail. Upon close inspection I saw he was cutting off this fungus - Chaga. A chaga harvester. lol. It's the tree I cut down and am working on now, in fact. If you cut them before the sap runs, they'l still produce leaves with what little moisture is still in the tree and that dries the trunk out pretty good. Makes them significantly lighter to load.

All these various things you can do in the woods. In sunny weather. *********** **** **** ****.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 05:25 PM   #3532
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
What a loser today. Got a local world record birch down not far off, cut up and ready to load but it started off at a sprinkle and has just rained harder all day. Checked email and had a manuscript rejected at a place that published a bunch of my articles before no problem. Thought it was a cinch.
At the advice of an older writer, I used to save rejection letters in order to forestall a swelled head, to maintain humility. Turns out there's such a thing as overkill.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 05:48 PM   #3533
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
...It'd have looked bad if she'd have admitted to being duped, so she avoided doing that because she has an image and a reputation to uphold on the internet.
This is key, and a major part of Dandy Don's shtick. As long as they STFU and never admit Bigfoot is make-believe, they can avoid any serious need to confront the conflict (dissonance?). The thing is, regardless of the amount of righteousness we here possess, she was never going to come out after that bit and say "You're right guys, what was I thinking?!" Especially if the initial reason she got soft had nothing to do with the facts of the case and far more to do with a certain process of DNA perpetuation.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 05:53 PM   #3534
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

What a loser today. Got a local world record birch down not far off, cut up and ready to load but it started off at a sprinkle and has just rained harder all day. Checked email and had a manuscript rejected at a place that published a bunch of my articles before no problem. Thought it was a cinch...
Learned this line as a kid, "The only thing that's a cinch is on a horse."
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 05:55 PM   #3535
Jodie
Philosopher

Like I said, I certainly don't believe there is a continuous presence out there looking for wood apes. I remember NAWAC describing what amounted to well over $10,000 worth of equipment being hauled out to the area. That alone requires a good bit of transport and I doubt it would be left there at the cabin with no one present. I don't think anyone is out there, I don't think anything is happening at all, or that Area X really exists.
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:04 PM   #3536
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Like I said, I certainly don't believe there is a continuous presence out there looking for wood apes. I remember NAWAC describing what amounted to well over $10,000 worth of equipment being hauled out to the area. That alone requires a good bit of transport . . .
Why would ten grand's worth of equipment require a good bit of transport? If you just consider guns, ammo and game cams and beer, that could add up very quickly.

WS
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:07 PM   #3537
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Why would ten grand's worth of equipment require a good bit of transport? If you just consider guns, ammo and game cams and beer, that could add up very quickly.
It seems like a lot of stuff to me to carry in addition to basic needs. They'll still need a vehicle of some kind to get everything to where they were walking to where the cabin was located.
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:13 PM   #3538
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It seems like a lot of stuff to me to carry in addition to basic needs.
If I recall correctly, most claim to carry a long gun and a sidearm, which alone could easily add up to over a grand. Guns, ammo, game cam and supplies could all be packed in by anyone in reasonable condition.
Quote:
They'll still need a vehicle of some kind to get everything to where they were walking to where the cabin was located.
I've read accounts where they camped within sight of their trucks. The logistics aren't a problem.

WS
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:27 PM   #3539
Jodie
Philosopher

Then what was all that crap about having to hike in up a creek bed?

Last edited by Jodie; 22nd May 2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:30 PM   #3540
Jodie
Philosopher

duplicate post

Last edited by Jodie; 22nd May 2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:34 PM   #3541
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I don't know. But that wouldn't make much of an obstacle anyway. Backpack, camera, gun on your hip, long gun over your shoulder. Easy-peasy.

WS
Old 22nd May 2017, 07:07 PM   #3542
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

It seems like a lot of stuff to me to carry in addition to basic needs. They'll still need a vehicle of some kind to get everything to where they were walking to where the cabin was located.
This has been posted before, but I'll reiterate: Brown and the NAWAC guys have, on multiple occasions, stated that they drive vehicles to the cabin(s). There is even an episode of the Bigfoot show where they talk about a "sighting" around one of the members' (Brown's) trucks as they sat around the camp fire, right outside the cabin.

"Some kind of vehicle" is their personal vehicle. Any of which could haul $10,000 in nickels if they needed it to.

Please find some other, less inane line of inquiry.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 22nd May 2017 at 07:10 PM.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:19 PM   #3543
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

For someone who doesn't believe Area X exist...you sure have of a lot of detailed information....please tell us more!
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:21 PM   #3544
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Well I am in agreement they would need some kind of vehicle. Consider that some are coming all the way from Texas, so it just makes good sense to use a vehicle. Rather than a wheel barrel or a pogo stick.

Got my truck stuck in 4WD on the trail, had to cut down a bunch of small trees to fill in the mud hole to get out. Stupid decision in the first place, going to work in a downpour.

But at least #2 son got to see how you do that.

When you feel like all is lost, you reach for inspiration in the Area X files. Carrying bags from 7-11 up the stairs. Remembering to use their turn signal. Charging your cell phone. Riveting outdoor stuff.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 05:02 AM   #3545
Drewbot
Philosopher

Well I am in agreement they would need some kind of vehicle. Consider that some are coming all the way from Texas, so it just makes good sense to use a vehicle. Rather than a wheel barrel or a pogo stick.

Got my truck stuck in 4WD on the trail, had to cut down a bunch of small trees to fill in the mud hole to get out. Stupid decision in the first place, going to work in a downpour.

But at least #2 son got to see how you do that.

When you feel like all is lost, you reach for inspiration in the Area X files. Carrying bags from 7-11 up the stairs. Remembering to use their turn signal. Charging your cell phone. Riveting outdoor stuff.
Definitely need a vehicle.
It's over an hour to the nearest Field Assistant Recruitment Center.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.5...35.4038196!3e0

But it's Squatchy the whole way.

Hypthetically, recruitment trips could be tax deductible. At least the mileage on the vehicle would be.

Last edited by Drewbot; 23rd May 2017 at 05:46 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:07 AM   #3546
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Like I said, I certainly don't believe there is a continuous presence out there looking for wood apes. I remember NAWAC describing what amounted to well over $10,000 worth of equipment being hauled out to the area. That alone requires a good bit of transport and I doubt it would be left there at the cabin with no one present. I don't think anyone is out there, I don't think anything is happening at all, or that Area X really exists.
Again your ignorance/membering is astounding....one weapon kitted out for hunting the mighty Wood Ape could far exceed $10,000 and....by the way it's well documented that one drives right up to the rental hunting cabins. You'd know this if you'd take the time to visit the NAWCKIES website....then maybe you might not appear so ignorant of commonly known details.
That would make a great marketing tool to promote ones cabins....heck ya you get to drag all your crap to the site for a week of deer hunting...it's a blast!!

Last edited by Cervelo; 23rd May 2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:39 AM   #3547
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
This is key, and a major part of Dandy Don's shtick. As long as they STFU and never admit Bigfoot is make-believe, they can avoid any serious need to confront the conflict (dissonance?). The thing is, regardless of the amount of righteousness we here possess, she was never going to come out after that bit and say "You're right guys, what was I thinking?!" Especially if the initial reason she got soft had nothing to do with the facts of the case and far more to do with a certain process of DNA perpetuation.
Most definitely. It's all a product of the ego, imo. If you've got an air of superiority, then you don't want to have your intelligence brought into question, least of all when you have a reputation to uphold.

She's a bit like Jose Mourinho, the famous football manager. He's a great manager, but he's sorely lacking in any kind of ability to hold his hands up and accept defeat. When things don't go his way, he'll blame everyone other than himself.

Now, I don't put Sharon Hill anywhere near Jose in terms of talent, but in terms of their shared inability to admit their shortcomings and their inability to come clean regarding those shortcomings, they're exactly alike.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 01:38 PM   #3548
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Definitely need a vehicle.
It's over an hour to the nearest Field Assistant Recruitment Center.
Thank you guys for cheering me up. This funk is on a run. ISIS is taking over the city next to our house on Mindanao today. My "re-creation" of Patterson's Thailand trip was actually an ongoing effort to relocate our family there, although I did hold true to Patterson's research methodology. It's happening, it's unbelievable, and we hope Duterte kicks their ass.

This hydra Cervelo is wrestling - BLAARGing is generally a one-step-ahead gaming strategy. We just answer the current question with a manipulative response that need not be consistent with an over-arching whole. It doesn't take intelligence. It takes having no conscience about what you are doing.

That's why I don't like the social costs of BLAARGing: teaching people to interact with others in this way. It's abusive. And yeah, when you get into big enough trouble then cause a train wreck so the discussion is cut off by the moderators. How many times have we seen that?

It's an alternate reality, right? Not just Area X's whole charade about wood apes, but any player can poof into existence a new alternate reality version where it is a ten mile hike carrying 300 pounds of gear to their cabin.

Every player in the BLAARGing world poses themselves as a skeptic. A real skeptic, in contrast to the extreme skeptics. So you can't just take someones proclamation about being a skeptic as proof they aren't BLAARGing.
Old 23rd May 2017, 02:02 PM   #3549
carlitos
"más divertido"

This hydra Cervelo is wrestling - .
Arguing about bigfoot (!) with a person who - literally - does not understand how a McDonald's fish sandwich works is pretty much the embodiment of Samuel Clemens' admonitions regarding porcine grappling.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 05:48 PM   #3550
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Mod WarningTwo dozen posts are now in AAH. Several points need to be made:
  1. Do not import wholesale discussions from elsewhere. The ISF is not an extension of someone else's blog, forum, website, or random musings.
  2. Do not include the identity of people in real life or in other areas of the Internet unless it meets both criteria of Rule 8: The information must be publicly available and it must be relevant to the discussion.
  3. Seriously, stop the bickering.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:jsfisher

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 02:32 PM   #3551
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Mod InfoThread split as it's getting slow. Continued here.
Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal