ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 15th July 2018, 02:18 AM   #41
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Open letter in today's HELSINGIN SANOMAT much quoted in the world's media:

Quote:
As the summit nears, there have been warnings that the US may make real concessions in exchange for a bit of glib publicity and empty promises. Some have even raised the specter of a new Yalta where Trump and Putin would divide the world between them in spheres of influence. This worry shows the kind of dread the inconsistent policy of the United States has caused. Hopefully everyone will nevertheless understand that European matters can no longer be agreed on over the heads of Europeans.
https://www.hs.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000005756175.html

This is an understated way of expressing the fear that Europe, for Trump and Putin, are just playthings; chess pieces in their game of world power.

'I'll have NATO, you have Syria'...
Old 15th July 2018, 02:19 AM   #42
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
He's ready to give Putin the moon and the stars, but I'm not sure exactly what Putin wants from him.
If I was Vladimir Putin, I'd want Donald Trump to support, or at least not hinder, my foreign adventures. I think I read that Donald Trump has already acknowledged Russia's annexation of Crimea, Eastern Ukraine is surely next. Donald Trump is happy to give away anything that the personally does not value and so I also expect that Putin will be given a completely free hand in Syria and possibly in other parts of the Middle East too.

Putin may also be looking for a removal of sanctions on him and his cronies. for sure he's as rich as Croesus but they still may be a little inconvenient.

I believe that both of these are in Donald Trump's personal gift and would require no Senate or Congressional oversight.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 03:32 AM   #43
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
This is an understated way of expressing the fear that Europe, for Trump and Putin, are just playthings; chess pieces in their game of world power.

Chess for Putin. Trump might be able to handle Candyland.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 11:21 AM   #44
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has landed.

I was hoping to get a shot of the plane above our skyline, but was so busy watching the World Cup, by the time I lounged under our kotikuusi (which must be 45 feet high) enjoying the late evening sun, I realised he must already be approaching Helsinki.

Never mind, I caught the live stream on YLE Suora.

He may not have passed over this way, anyway.

Putin has been tied up handing France the World Cup and will be arriving in the morning - a much shorter journey for him.
Old 15th July 2018, 12:44 PM   #45
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

All Putin needs to achieve is for Trump to praise him above Europe/NATO. Putin wants to hammer the wedge deeper and get some propaganda reel.
Old 15th July 2018, 03:20 PM   #46
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump: "I just wanted to thank you for the help in the election. Don't tell me what you have planned for 2018."
Old 15th July 2018, 03:52 PM   #47
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
All Putin needs to achieve is for Trump to praise him above Europe/NATO. Putin wants to hammer the wedge deeper and get some propaganda reel.
All it will take is a couple of flattering words in private from Putin and Trump will be stood in front of the media telling the world what a wonderful man he is, how well they get on and can work together, and basically acting like an over enthusiastic puppy with a weak bladder.
Old 15th July 2018, 03:59 PM   #48
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm not sure what difference it makes if Trump goes in alone at first. What's Putin going to do, eat him? Even when Trump has advisers, he doesn't take their advice. Of course Trump is going to be outflanked, that's a given. He's ready to give Putin the moon and the stars, but I'm not sure exactly what Putin wants from him. He's already richer than Trump and probably orders of magnitude more competent. Trump is going to give up whatever military secrets he wants to, no one can stop him, and he's probably not even very reliable when it comes to describing America's strategies, new weaponry etc.

I wouldn't want to do any serious negotiation with the guy (Trump) because you can't rely on his commitments. Even if you're Vladimir Putin. And Putin knows that.
Putin could record Trump thanking Putin for his election help. Trump will add, "but it didn't affect the outcome."

They might also discuss the election intervention plan for 2018. After all, Trump will be handicapped if the Congress shifts left.

As for the meeting, Trump will say stupid vague things then proclaim they made great deals about Syria and Iran even though no such thing was discussed.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th July 2018 at 04:00 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 04:00 PM   #49
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Is it a summit or a performance review with his boss?
We'll know depending on where the part in Trump's hair is when it's all over.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 04:02 PM   #50
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I do believe that sums it up nicely.
Old 15th July 2018, 04:21 PM   #51
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump makes a deal to import 2 million Russian nested dolls in exchange for sending them 2 million VCR tapes and then declares it was the greatest, most tremendous trade deal of all time. Better than any trade deals Obama ever did!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 04:41 PM   #52
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Is there a direct Russian-English translation for "He really is a *********** moron!"
Old 15th July 2018, 04:55 PM   #53
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Ask and ye shall receive (or damn near)... Donny said (twitted or in one of the two interviews the last 24 hours) that the EU is a "foe" (for trade reasons only, I trust) and only barely managed to add in Russia as one as well. Not very stridently though.

Vlad - "Mission accomplished."

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 04:56 PM   #54
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Make sure there's an aid present at all times.

"No Mr President,that's not real candy.
Spit it out sir, spit it out.
Well, if you chew plastic sir, you will get bits caught in your throat.
Sir, it's still not real candy"
Old 15th July 2018, 05:03 PM   #55
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Make sure there's an aid present at all times.

"No Mr President,that's not real candy.
Spit it out sir, spit it out.
Well, if you chew plastic sir, you will get bits caught in your throat.
Sir, it's still not real candy"
I wonder how much wax display fruit he's chewed in his life.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:08 PM   #56
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

My guess is Putin is going to ask him "Why don't you pass the time by playing a little solitaire?"
Old 15th July 2018, 07:30 PM   #57
Tero
Graduate Poster

Even less than Kim summit. But he will get his new instructions how to behave from Putin. Or else!
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 10:25 PM   #58
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Weather expected here today is 32įC - Costa del Suomi! It is not usually this warm.

I can foresee Putin challenging Trump to a hot sauna contest, to see who can last the longest in the hottest sauna temperatures known to man.
Old 16th July 2018, 12:20 AM   #59
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Weather expected here today is 32įC - Costa del Suomi! It is not usually this warm.

I can foresee Putin challenging Trump to a hot sauna contest, to see who can last the longest in the hottest sauna temperatures known to man.
President Trump will decline, his bonespurs prevent him from going into a sauna - apparently
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 12:27 AM   #60
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump will decline, his bonespurs prevent him from going into a sauna - apparently
And pass up on seeing the abs on his man-crush live and up close?
not likely.
Old 16th July 2018, 01:34 AM   #61
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I wonder how much wax display fruit he's chewed in his life.

I very much doubt that's ever happened, but if they were wax display burgers the man would be crapping candles regularly.
Old 16th July 2018, 01:45 AM   #62
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

... I can foresee Putin challenging Trump to a hot sauna contest, to see who can last the longest in the hottest sauna temperatures known to man.
The inexperienced have died attempting that.
So all I can say is... go for it Mr. President.

Old 16th July 2018, 03:48 AM   #63
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Helsinki Customs: Name?

Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin

Helsinki Customs: Occupation?

No, just a Summit meeting.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 04:11 AM   #64
Garrison
Illuminator

And yet no one predicted he would blame US politicians for poor relations with Russia, you know nothing to do with that whole Ukraine thing...
Old 16th July 2018, 06:20 AM   #65
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And yet no one predicted he would blame US politicians for poor relations with Russia, you know nothing to do with that whole Ukraine thing...
It was just like when JFK caused all that trouble with Cuba by refusing to let them import the USSR(Great guys by the way, they like me a lot)'s Self Propelled Giant Cigar Tubes starving Soviet Russia of much needed Giant Cigar imports. That was Obama's fault you know, yeah, lots of people are saying he orchestrated it from Kenya. Meanwhile Hilary sold all of America's cigars to Russia. It's true but the fake news won't tell you.
Old 16th July 2018, 07:46 AM   #66
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

At the imminent press conference just after the meeting (very soon), The PDJT will look chagrined and embarrassed as he just got schooled.
Old 16th July 2018, 07:54 AM   #67
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think he will take questions from CNN?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 08:02 AM   #68
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Do you think he will take questions from CNN?
Putin will...
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 08:08 AM   #69
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Putin looks pleased.

The PDJT looks confused.
Old 16th July 2018, 08:25 AM   #70
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Slightly alarming opening from Putin at the press conference:
Quote:
“The United States could be more decisive in nudging Ukrainian leadership,” Putin says.

“We agreed, me and president Trump, we agreed to put together a high-level working group” of Russia and and American businessmen, Putin says.
Quote:
Putin said Trump raised the issue of Russian meddling in the US election.

“I had to repeat what I said earlier, including in personal meetings with the president, Russia never interfered and doesn’t plan to interfere in US domestic politics, including elections,” Putin said.

He said if “any such material, if such things arise, we are ready to discuss them together.”
Sounds like Putin got the most out of that meeting, but then again, Trump was never going to press him hard on the meddling issue anyway. Slightly curious as to what the Ukranian government needs nudging on - and what the all-business men working group is going to, well, work on?
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 08:28 AM   #71
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Unlike the EU which is a foe Russia is a competitor.
Old 16th July 2018, 08:33 AM   #72
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says that ¨Russia is a competitor, unlike the EU which is a Foe.

Now he says 'no collusion' and on to his victory over Clinton the probe is ridiculous.

Now on about his electoral college win and how the college favoured the Dems but he still won. No collusion, he ran a brilliant campaign, no collusion. FBI lies.

Putin says no collusion, no one can name a single fact that shows any collusion. Natural for Russia to be sympathetic to the candidate that was showing willing to be friends with Russia and normalise their relationship.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th July 2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 16th July 2018, 08:37 AM   #73
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump at joint press conference with Putin, claiming that the U.S. is responsible for decline of U.S.-Russia relations, that the Mueller investigation is just the result of Democrats trying to excuse their loss, etc., etc. Putin owns Trump.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 08:50 AM   #74
Tero
Graduate Poster

It’s final: Putin won. Trump and America got one soccer ball, going to Barron Trump.

Trump will go home not looking for hackers, but for Hillary’s 33 000 emails.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 08:50 AM   #75
Bob001
Philosopher

Now Trump is holding forth on Hillary Clinton's emails, says Putin offered to send Russian intelligence officers to help U.S. investigators.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 08:51 AM   #76
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Now he's asking Where is the Server? Why didn't the FBI take the server?
Where is the server of the Pakistani man on the DNC?
Where are Hilary's Emails.
He says in Russia they wouldn't be gone, it's a total disgrace.
Putin told Trump it wasn't him that interfered.
Putin has offered to send his own investigators to help.

This is in response to a question about who does he believe on hacking Putin or his own security services?

Putin says that the only solution in a democracy like the USA to this can be delivered by a trial, not by Law Enforcement.
Putin attacking Soros now.
Old 16th July 2018, 08:55 AM   #77
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump saying that the recent testimony by Peter Strzok was a disgrace to the FBI and a disgrace to the USA. It's a Witch Hunt.

And now it's over.
Old 16th July 2018, 09:02 AM   #78
NoahFence
Banned

**** trump and **** all you ******** that voted for him.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 09:05 AM   #79
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
**** trump and **** all you ******** that voted for him.
And will no doubt still defend him. Jesus *********** Christ...
Old 16th July 2018, 09:07 AM   #80
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump said 'no collusion' the probe is ridiculous.

Amazing electoral college win, the college favoured the Dems but he still won.
No collusion, he ran a brilliant campaign, no collusion. FBI lies.

Where is the Server? Why didn't the FBI take the server?
Where is the server of the Pakistani man on the DNC?
Where are Hilary's Emails.
He says in Russia they wouldn't be gone, it's a total disgrace.
Putin told him it wasn't him that interfered.
Putin has offered to send him his own investigators to help.

Recent testimony by Peter Strzok was a disgrace to the FBI and a disgrace to the USA. It's a Witch Hunt.

Then it was over.

It was like a live version of his tweets.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics