ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th July 2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Using Coupons While Black

Yay! More click bait to get the Trumpista-defenders riled up.

Woman ("I'm black, not African-American") tries to use a coupon in a CVS in Chicago and the manager says it's a fake and then, quaking in fear (understandably - he's a Republican and blacks are scary, amirite) phones the police.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/wat...e-fake-coupon/

Probably another of those Cook County Democrats we hear about.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 12:32 AM   #2
mikado
Graduate Poster

There something going on there. Look at his hands shaking,
Girl did good to keep her cool
Old 15th July 2018, 02:09 AM   #3
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Ahhh mozza. If he was smart he should have been looking through the job classifieds the moment everyone left. But then again if he was smart he wouldn't have let things get to that level. IF he truthfully felt the coupon was fake, why didn't he politely explain the situation and offer to take her contact details and a photo of the coupon and call her back when he had confirmed its authenticity. Even a polite "I have not seen a coupon like that before, I cannot accept it at this stage, I am sorry for any inconvieniance" would have been kilometres better. Hopefully he is smarter in his next job.

Last edited by Hungry81; 15th July 2018 at 02:10 AM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 02:51 AM   #4
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
What's going on is called "fear". He's trembling! As I said (before I facetiously called him a Cook County Democrat in a nod to one of our more monomaniacal posters), he's a Republican. A Trump Republican. A Log Cabin Trump Republican.

TRW isn't Fox & Friends, and he's facing a lage angry black woman. And he's quaking in his boots.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 03:05 AM   #5
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Ahhh mozza. If he was smart he should have been looking through the job classifieds the moment everyone left. But then again if he was smart he wouldn't have let things get to that level. IF he truthfully felt the coupon was fake, why didn't he politely explain the situation and offer to take her contact details and a photo of the coupon and call her back when he had confirmed its authenticity. Even a polite "I have not seen a coupon like that before, I cannot accept it at this stage, I am sorry for any inconvieniance" would have been kilometres better. Hopefully he is smarter in his next job.
CVS has already issued the by-now standard "we're looking into this and we value all our customers and do not approve of discrimination in any form" disclaimer. I'm imagining his dismissal note will follow shortly.

Chicago PD says he phoned it in as an "assault in progress".

Never mind the "while black", that'll just grease the skids to slip him out the door. The issue for them is a Starbucks Reverse. Starbucks has people who abuse their gold cards and staff are told not to question it. Coupons are made to be printed and are bar-coded. You scan that puppy and your system will tell you if it's valid. CVS (nor any corporate retailer) does not need the hired help playing Sherlock Holmes. You scan the coupon and accept it or deny it based on the POS system's response. If the system comes up negative and the customer insists, you call a senior manager or call corporate. You do not call the police.

Old 15th July 2018, 03:54 AM   #6
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
That video is pure comedy gold. He's shaking like he has a terminal case of Parkinson. All the while, she not only keeps her cool but is downright assertive.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 04:10 AM   #7
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
That video is pure comedy gold. He's shaking like he has a terminal case of Parkinson. All the while, she not only keeps her cool but is downright assertive uppity.
FTFY
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 04:22 AM   #8
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

That video is pure comedy gold. He's shaking like he has a terminal case of Parkinson. All the while, she not only keeps her cool but is downright assertive.
Unfortunately true he is shaking, also true why this happens. One can officially and fairly be afraid of scary black people, shooting them in the back and getting exonerated precisely, and solely, for that reason. "Everybody knows them blacks are dangerous animals."

I imagine he will have to gather around a Confederate monument by torch light and have his white mojo restored by a ring of chanting cowards, poor baby.
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion. Spends that time swapping avatars if in August.
Summer penance for overeating: His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:05 AM   #9
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

The video doesn't show what happened before. I don't see why the guy being scared or nervous in this situation is a strike against him.

I think it's weird to call the police on someone for using a coupon, but it's entirely possible that she was very aggressive when they refused to take the coupon and that's why the guy is scared.

Or maybe his hands shaking means he's racist...

It sounds like they were out of line calling the cops, I just don't get why people are going on about his hands shaking.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:30 AM   #10
ThatGuy11200
Student

There's a neurological condition called essential tremor, which affects about 4% of people over the age of 40.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_tremor

Quote:
Essential tremor generally presents as a rhythmic tremor (4–12 Hz) that occurs only when the affected muscle is exerting effort. Any sort of physical or mental stress will tend to make the tremor worse.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:40 AM   #11
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
The video doesn't show what happened before. I don't see why the guy being scared or nervous in this situation is a strike against him.

I think it's weird to call the police on someone for using a coupon, but it's entirely possible that she was very aggressive when they refused to take the coupon and that's why the guy is scared.

It sounds like they were out of line calling the cops, I just don't get why people are going on about his hands shaking.
Playing up the cowardly angle, rather than the racist, I suppose. I thought it looked more like a neurological disorder, too. His face and voice seem level compared with the pretty severe shaking.
Old 15th July 2018, 05:58 AM   #12
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post

It just adds to the comedy value of the video. He doesn't seem to try to hide it and you see the whole phone cord shaking with it.

I don't think it's likely she was aggressive before. In the video part, she sounds assertive and confident, and that in the knowledge that the police will be there, who don't have a good track record with blacks.

But of course, it's possible that she tried to hand him her business card and he construed that as assault, just as with the yoga-man.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 07:19 AM   #13
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
CVS has already issued the by-now standard "we're looking into this and we value all our customers and do not approve of discrimination in any form" disclaimer. I'm imagining his dismissal note will follow shortly.

Chicago PD says he phoned it in as an "assault in progress".

Never mind the "while black", that'll just grease the skids to slip him out the door. The issue for them is a Starbucks Reverse. Starbucks has people who abuse their gold cards and staff are told not to question it. Coupons are made to be printed and are bar-coded. You scan that puppy and your system will tell you if it's valid. CVS (nor any corporate retailer) does not need the hired help playing Sherlock Holmes. You scan the coupon and accept it or deny it based on the POS system's response. If the system comes up negative and the customer insists, you call a senior manager or call corporate. You do not call the police.
Fake coupons are actually a pretty huge issue and usually part of an organized effort. People sell large amounts of them then use that as cover to use large amounts of them before the issue is known.

Unless you feel like replacing the value (in my local area two major buisnesses are severely effected by this at the moment, though smaller ships are more commonly targeted) for these then the person has every right to get the police involved. Even if the customer bought the fake coupons in good faith they are still a connection to the person selling them. And considering said person would obviously not be a real representative of the company the person buying them should know something is up.

No idea if this coupon was legit but the issue itself is real and basically saying "will she was black so they had no right to hassle her" is both cringe worthy and a step in the wrong direction.

If it was legit the manager was an *******. If it wasn't she bought it from someone and by all means should have to provide this person's information to police, though I look forward to you trying to twist logic to justify why she should just be let go.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 07:22 AM   #14
sadhatter
Philosopher

It just adds to the comedy value of the video. He doesn't seem to try to hide it and you see the whole phone cord shaking with it.

I don't think it's likely she was aggressive before. In the video part, she sounds assertive and confident, and that in the knowledge that the police will be there, who don't have a good track record with blacks.

But of course, it's possible that she tried to hand him her business card and he construed that as assault, just as with the yoga-man.
A customer being aggressive?

It can't be, she was black.

Seriously, I hate the world. Remember when people knew people were ******** to people in customer service? Bunch of movies and shows about it in the late 90s.

Now we have to find out someone's color before starting this basic fact.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 08:47 AM   #15
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
A customer being aggressive?

It can't be, she was black.
Way to twist my argument.

She sounded assertive and confident in the video. Because of that, I thought it unlikely that she had been aggressive a minute before.

Old 15th July 2018, 09:03 AM   #16
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Fake coupons are actually a pretty huge issue and usually part of an organized effort. People sell large amounts of them then use that as cover to use large amounts of them before the issue is known.

Unless you feel like replacing the value (in my local area two major buisnesses are severely effected by this at the moment, though smaller ships are more commonly targeted) for these then the person has every right to get the police involved. Even if the customer bought the fake coupons in good faith they are still a connection to the person selling them. And considering said person would obviously not be a real representative of the company the person buying them should know something is up.

No idea if this coupon was legit but the issue itself is real and basically saying "will she was black so they had no right to hassle her" is both cringe worthy and a step in the wrong direction.

If it was legit the manager was an *******. If it wasn't she bought it from someone and by all means should have to provide this person's information to police, though I look forward to you trying to twist logic to justify why she should just be let go.
Do some research. She got the coupon in the mail from the manufacturer, who inserted into it "CVS" because that was where she originally purchased their defective whatever it was.

It is not the stuff of forgeries - the coupon was too large an amount - $17.95. You don't forge coupons of that denomination. You go for $1 off of Minute Maid or $.75 off of Scott Towels and you do them in volume. You can probably pass five hundred dollar-off coupons in the time it'd take you to get two or three of the $17..95 ones through.

And the thing has a barcode on it.

Old 15th July 2018, 01:59 PM   #17
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Do some research. She got the coupon in the mail from the manufacturer, who inserted into it "CVS" because that was where she originally purchased their defective whatever it was.
Is that a usual way of refunding for a defective product in the States? In the UK, within the warranty period, the onus is on the retailer to replace or refund in the first instance, and the retailer would then take it up with the manufacturer. A consumer would generally only go direct to the manufacturer if the retailer had gone out of business. The retailer would then replace or refund in cash.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 02:05 PM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Dude might have early stage parkinson's or just morning DTs if he he happens to be an alchy
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 02:23 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It is not the stuff of forgeries - the coupon was too large an amount - $17.95. You don't forge coupons of that denomination. You go for $1 off of Minute Maid or $.75 off of Scott Towels and you do them in volume. You can probably pass five hundred dollar-off coupons in the time it'd take you to get two or three of the $17..95 ones through.

And the thing has a barcode on it.
If you have a defective product, you take it back to the store you bought it from.

Don't you think it's the other way around, an $18.00 coupon would be the forgery, what's the point in getting a dollar off?

I don't think barcodes are hard to forge any more.
Old 15th July 2018, 02:34 PM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here's the black woman's version and while she seems to whitewash it a bit, it's clear she wasn't taking no for an answer.

It's an odd thing to forge but there is something about the coupon in that it doesn't say which brand it's for.

It could easily be a xerox. Otherwise it could be legit. You buy pee pants, you complain, they say fine, here's a coupon for any brand you want. It's possible. But it's also the store's prerogative to take or not take the coupon unless they advertised the guarantee.

You go in a store, they say they don't accept that coupon, you can't use the coupon. I'm not on the customer's side here.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th July 2018 at 02:38 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 03:42 PM   #21
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Here's the black woman's version and while she seems to whitewash it a bit, it's clear she wasn't taking no for an answer.

It's an odd thing to forge but there is something about the coupon in that it doesn't say which brand it's for.

It could easily be a xerox. Otherwise it could be legit. You buy pee pants, you complain, they say fine, here's a coupon for any brand you want. It's possible. But it's also the store's prerogative to take or not take the coupon unless they advertised the guarantee.

You go in a store, they say they don't accept that coupon, you can't use the coupon. I'm not on the customer's side here.
I have no experience with this coupon business at all (over here, it works like Information Analyst said it works in the UK: you take it up with the retailer, and you get your money back for a defective product, not a coupon which requires you to buy something in the same store or of the same brand).

The way I read the coupon it says "CVS BRAND", IOW, it's for CVS's own house brand.

What also should be noted from that article is that the manager is an expert in forgery:
Quote:
In 2016, DNA Info Chicago (now in archives), reported that “A vote on extending the lakefront path from Edgewater to Rogers Park was yanked from the November ballot after city officials ruled that five pages of signatures on the petitions calling for the vote were forged.”
Yep, "Coupon Carl" as the article dubs him, had written 5 out of 13 pages of names and signatures for that petition in his own handwriting and had made up people who lived at non-existent or business addresses.

Old 15th July 2018, 04:09 PM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I have no experience with this coupon business at all (over here, it works like Information Analyst said it works in the UK: you take it up with the retailer, and you get your money back for a defective product, not a coupon which requires you to buy something in the same store or of the same brand).

The way I read the coupon it says "CVS BRAND", IOW, it's for CVS's own house brand.

[snipped red herring]
Do you agree with:
The store is not obligated to honor the coupon?
The woman became aggressive when the clerk turned the coupon down?
Old 15th July 2018, 05:08 PM   #23
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Do you agree with:
The store is not obligated to honor the coupon?
The woman became aggressive when the clerk turned the coupon down?
I have no opinion on the first. I'm one of those pinko-commie socialist Europeans who think that whole coupon business is an unnecessary burden on the consumer.

As to the second: no. Not from the description she gives. When the manager suggested the coupon was fraudulent, she asked for his name and she whipped out her phone to make a recording. I've already commented on the video that I thought she was assertive, not aggressive.

And as to your comment that the manager's backstory is a red herring: in Dutch, we have a proverb "zoals de waard is vertrouwt hij zijn gasten", literally translated: "like the innkeeper is, so he trusts his guests". In his world view, forgery is something everyone does.

Old 15th July 2018, 05:49 PM   #24
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The clerk could have said something as innocent as, "I don't know it that's counterfeit," and the woman took it personal.

She chased him into the back room.

Now, it could be either way, but I don't see it's the clear case it purports to be.

As for the coupon, it wasn't a CVS coupon. They have no obligation to honor it. However, it could have been a legit coupon the manufacturer of the product she complained about sent her.

I'm gonna stay on the fence on this one.
Old 15th July 2018, 06:25 PM   #25
ddt
Mafia Penguin

The clerk could have said something as innocent as, "I don't know it that's counterfeit," and the woman took it personal.

Now, it could be either way, but I don't see it's the clear case it purports to be.
We don't know. Maybe he didn't call her outright a fraud and phrased it more cautiously. If so, he could have repeated that on camera and not fled into the backroom instead.

As for the coupon, it wasn't a CVS coupon. They have no obligation to honor it. However, it could have been a legit coupon the manufacturer of the product she complained about sent her.
That would be strange. The coupon seems to be for a product of CVS' house brand. If they have no obligation to honor it, where else is the coupon of value?

Old 15th July 2018, 06:58 PM   #26
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

If you have a defective product, you take it back to the store you bought it from.

Don't you think it's the other way around, an $18.00 coupon would be the forgery, what's the point in getting a dollar off?

I don't think barcodes are hard to forge any more.
I take it you're not a forger? They're not in the business of passing one coupon.. or ten. They want to pass thousands of them.

I don't know how the supermarkets and big chains do it now but during my years in the States, they didn't even insist you buy Tropicana to cash the Fifty-Cents Off Tropicana Cholesterol Free coupon. The coupons go through a clearing house and they get full value for them as long as they carry the products. It was not uncommon to see Coupon Carla go through the checkout with two carts full of food, everything from steak to beer, and have her cash in enough coupons of every sort to get the bill down to four bucks! They count as "income" on the register. The store doesn't care if you pay cash or with coupons.

If you showed up with 200 coupons from ten cents to a buck, they just took 'em. If you showed up with three @ $17.95? They check 'em. $17.95 is a Yuge coupon.

Similarly, inside the USA, ya know what the most common denomination is for forged bills? The twenty. (Outside the US, it's the hundred.) You can pass a twenty off on a taxi driver, food cart vendor, 7/11 store clerk. They only scan or check them when there's a notice out on a particularly egregious forgery making the rounds.

It's like retail. You find the price point where Mrs. Clark will stop buying little Timmy's PJs at your store. If you cross that point, even if you make a buck extra on the 200 pairs you sell, you lose all the Mrs. Clarks, say fifty of them, who are no longer buying your $9.95 pajamas. You can forge hundreds in the States, you just have to work ten times as hard to pass them. 10x the work for 5x the revenue.

And barcodes aren't hard to forge, but they're hard to read. You don't know, if you're passing one, whether the POS computer has been alerted that this one's a fake.

Old 15th July 2018, 07:12 PM   #27
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I'm gonna stay on the fence on this one.
Hilited. Wrong. You need to look up the shift, from last year to what they refer to as....hold on.... "Digital Manufacturer Coupons". CVS not only honors them; they promote them. CVS has very few discounts of their own other than their loyalty card stuff. Coupons are not store promotions but product promotions.

Old 15th July 2018, 07:14 PM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

... That would be strange. The coupon seems to be for a product of CVS' house brand. If they have no obligation to honor it, where else is the coupon of value?
No matter it says CVS brand on it, look at the fine print. It's not a CVS coupon.

It tells the "dealer" to redeem it from First Quality Retail Services.

They make incontinence products.

They do say:
Quote:
we are a major provider of store brand incontinence products in the U.S
So they may very well produce CVS brand incontinence products. I can't easily find out online. I'm not going to a store to read CVS labels.

Maybe someone can find it here: CVS Brand incontinence products

Bottom line, I can still see the clerk refusing the coupon.
Old 15th July 2018, 07:19 PM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hilited. Wrong. You need to look up the shift, from last year to what they refer to as....hold on.... "Digital Manufacturer Coupons". CVS not only honors them; they promote them. CVS has very few discounts of their own other than their loyalty card stuff. Coupons are not store promotions but product promotions.
The shift?

The ap

Discount coupons are something else. The woman says this was a replacement product because she was dissatisfied with the product.

I'm still on the fence.

Mind you, calling the cops for this kind of **** is stupid.
Old 15th July 2018, 07:27 PM   #30
ddt
Mafia Penguin

No matter it says CVS brand on it, look at the fine print. It's not a CVS coupon.

It tells the "dealer" to redeem it from First Quality Retail Services.

They make incontinence products.

They do say:

So they may very well produce CVS brand incontinence products. I can't easily find out online. I'm not going to a store to read CVS labels.

Maybe someone can find it here: CVS Brand incontinence products

Bottom line, I can still see the clerk refusing the coupon.
I don't understand that reasoning.

So, FQRS one week makes a batch of adult diapers and puts them in boxes with the brand name CVS on it, and the next week a batch they put in boxes with the Walgreen brand name on it. And?

The dealer in the story above is CVS, that's the retailer. The customer goes to CVS, buys a box of diapers, pays with the coupon, and CVS redeems the coupon with FQRS for the value printed on the coupon.

That's how it goes, doesn't it? And CVS accepts all kind of coupons issued from all the manufacturers whose products they carry, don't they?

ETA: the CVS site doesn't work for me, seems to be one of those sites that's too lazy what cookies they push and then instead of becoming GDPR compliant, they simply shut it off for any European.

Last edited by ddt; 15th July 2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 15th July 2018, 07:30 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But ddt, do we know that company makes the CVS brand?

Maybe they do.
Old 15th July 2018, 07:51 PM   #32
ddt
Mafia Penguin

But ddt, do we know that company makes the CVS brand?

Maybe they do.
Really???

FQRS issues a coupon for CVS brand incontinence products. Do you really think they would issue such a coupon for a brand they don't produce?

BTW, has any of those two CVS "managers" in the story simply tried to scan the barcode on the coupon?

Old 15th July 2018, 09:16 PM   #33
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Really???

FQRS issues a coupon for CVS brand incontinence products. Do you really think they would issue such a coupon for a brand they don't produce?
That assumes the coupon is real.

BTW, has any of those two CVS "managers" in the story simply tried to scan the barcode on the coupon?
We don't know, the reports don't say.

But you have a good point. If the scan works, then the clerk might have been a jerk claiming the coupon was a copy.

But if the scan didn't work, it wouldn't be a surprise. I've had coupons like that which were valid but weren't in the store's computer. Much as we think the whole world is connected, sometimes it isn't. The clerk would then have to manually punch in the discount. Happens quite often actually.
Old 15th July 2018, 10:07 PM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I should mention my personal POV: Give the customer her $18 bucks or whatever it was. Give the clerk the authority to write the loss off vs start a fight with a customer.

It is so much more costly to piss off a customer than it is to write off $18. If the coupon was a fraud, put up a notice: "don't accept these coupons". If it was valid, the notice should say that as well.

'The customer is always right' really is a good business model.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th July 2018 at 10:09 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 10:21 PM   #35
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I should mention my personal POV: Give the customer her $18 bucks or whatever it was. Give the clerk the authority to write the loss off vs start a fight with a customer.

It is so much more costly to piss off a customer than it is to write off $18. If the coupon was a fraud, put up a notice: "don't accept these coupons". If it was valid, the notice should say that as well.

'The customer is always right' really is a good business model.
I have done exactly that in a former job/career on my OE in the UK many years ago

Had a boss and a customer (women with an obviously faulty product. Water pump for her car. She couldn't drive it). It was worth about 50 pounds. Cost price was about 20.

The boss was being a jerk on his high horse refusing to change it without sending it away to be tested which would have taken weeks.

After about a week of watching him mess her about I just gave her a free one when he wasn't there.

We must have been slagged off to so many people in the interim it probably cost us a ton more money in her friends business.

Told the regional manager about it and it must have been added to a list of the bosses jerkiness because he got turfed not long after
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 01:25 AM   #36
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I don't know how the supermarkets and big chains do it now but during my years in the States, they didn't even insist you buy Tropicana to cash the Fifty-Cents Off Tropicana Cholesterol Free coupon. The coupons go through a clearing house and they get full value for them as long as they carry the products. It was not uncommon to see Coupon Carla go through the checkout with two carts full of food, everything from steak to beer, and have her cash in enough coupons of every sort to get the bill down to four bucks! They count as "income" on the register. The store doesn't care if you pay cash or with coupons.
You see, this is what seems crazy to non-Americans. Certainly in the UK, if a coupon is for money off a specific product, then you have to buy that specific product, and enough of it. Most store systems would actually reject a coupon for something that hasn't gone through the till. T&Cs specifically state that a coupon either has no cash value, or its worth some footling fraction of a penny.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 02:09 AM   #37
ddt
Mafia Penguin

That assumes the coupon is real.
If FQRS is not the manufacturer of CVS house-brand coupons, that would have been a very obvious and valid reason for rejecting the coupon. But I don't think this is a remotely probable scenario.

We don't know, the reports don't say.

But you have a good point. If the scan works, then the clerk might have been a jerk claiming the coupon was a copy.

But if the scan didn't work, it wouldn't be a surprise. I've had coupons like that which were valid but weren't in the store's computer. Much as we think the whole world is connected, sometimes it isn't. The clerk would then have to manually punch in the discount. Happens quite often actually.
And if the POS terminal doesn't know the barcode, you call FQRS, you don't call the police. Also in the above hypothetical that FQRS is not the manufacturer, if the customer tells you they gave it to them, you call FQRS.

Old 16th July 2018, 06:29 AM   #38
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
You see, this is what seems crazy to non-Americans. Certainly in the UK, if a coupon is for money off a specific product, then you have to buy that specific product, and enough of it. Most store systems would actually reject a coupon for something that hasn't gone through the till. T&Cs specifically state that a coupon either has no cash value, or its worth some footling fraction of a penny.
That is exactly what it is supposed to be, The store he was citing was likely committing fraud on the manufacturer. Stores submitting coupons that they didn't properly sell the goods for is a standard form of coupon fraud.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 06:32 AM   #39
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Probably another of those Cook County Democrats we hear about.
Well if by that you mean Republican candidate and head of the Illinois Log Cabin Republicans then yes.

https://www.advocate.com/business/20...an-over-coupon

"A local leader of the conservative LGBT group the Log Cabin Republicans and a state delegate for Donald Trump in the 2016 election, Matson is currently running for the 48th Ward Alderman on a platform that includes “Restoring Law and Order,” according to his campaign site.

"Welcome to Chicago where 'No Lives Matter.' Living here is like living in a real-life ultra-violent video game. City Hall Democrats say the cops get the blame,” his website reads. "Parents should be able to send their children off to school without fear of them getting caught between gangland crossfire along the way.”

“Matson believes in law and order and will see to it that Chicago's Finest are treated like the heroes that they are,” the site continues.

But Matson, who called the police on a woman for what he said he believed was a fraudulent coupon, has a spotty history. "
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 07:14 AM   #40
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well if by that you mean Republican candidate and head of the Illinois Log Cabin Republicans then yes.

https://www.advocate.com/business/20...an-over-coupon

"A local leader of the conservative LGBT group the Log Cabin Republicans and a state delegate for Donald Trump in the 2016 election, Matson is currently running for the 48th Ward Alderman on a platform that includes “Restoring Law and Order,” according to his campaign site.

"Welcome to Chicago where 'No Lives Matter.' Living here is like living in a real-life ultra-violent video game. City Hall Democrats say the cops get the blame,” his website reads. "Parents should be able to send their children off to school without fear of them getting caught between gangland crossfire along the way.”

“Matson believes in law and order and will see to it that Chicago's Finest are treated like the heroes that they are,” the site continues.

But Matson, who called the police on a woman for what he said he believed was a fraudulent coupon, has a spotty history. "
During his little electoral fraud he said that improving the beachfront would not mean that there would be an influx of “people from the South Side”.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events