ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:11 AM   #281
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
That's because the One-drop rule is an American concept, not British.
Interesting read, I've never even heard of such a term!

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:12 AM   #282
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Surprising, given how much media attention that has gotten..at least in the US and apparently the UK.
That should tell you how much attention I pay to royalty.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:13 AM   #283
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
Are you thinking of Phil the Greek? He would be great grandpa.
Yeah, I was actually, now that you mention it! He's got all of the wit of Boris Johnson and none of the... charm? lol. That being said, Boris has all the charm of a wet kipper.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:15 AM   #284
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
the dude really doesn't know when just shutting his gob for a while is a good idea, does he?
I think so many people on here are so unfamiliar with Danny Baker that it's funny. Bloke's a comedian of sorts, not a PR guru.

Old 22nd May 2019, 09:17 AM   #285
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Made clear by whom? Most Brits are supremely not bothered in the slightest.
Most Brits aren't arsed about any of it, much like they weren't even arsed about Harry and Meghan having a baby to begin with. It's all the rage in the USA, though, like Hulk Hogan and Twinkies, stuff like that. I may be behind the times, I dunno, is Happy Days still on the air? Eyyyy!

Old 22nd May 2019, 09:49 AM   #286
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
I think so many people on here are so unfamiliar with Danny Baker that it's funny. Bloke's a comedian of sorts, not a PR guru.
"Shutting his gob" has never really been one of his strengths, not since he first appeared on the media scene way back in, er, 1976. It would be odd to expect him to start to do so now.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:29 PM   #287
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

It
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
At least a couple posters have more or less asserted that within the UK, both racism and reference to simians was so different, that Baker would not be reasonably expected to see a racial connotation to that juxtaposition. He clearly and strongly disagrees.

The other assertion many have made is that he couldn't be expected to have known that the baby's racial heritage. I'm fully willing to accept that he didn't. I haven't seen anything to suggest that he meant the image as an intentional racial attack. But I'm not sure I buy the idea that it was reasonable or responsible for him to be in both the camp of "I ignore news about the royals" that many posters here describe and the "I'm a widely known media personality tweeting critically about those same royals I purposefully am not informed about" camp.
Yeah, gotta agree. I'm British, really don't give a stuff about the Royal Family, haven't ever watched a Royal Wedding, didn't care about the birth but still managed to know that Meghan Markle is mixed race and sure as hell know that comparing people with black heritage to monkeys or chimps is going to invoke decades of racial slurs. Oh, and I'm not a football fan either but I know that the football leagues have been making great efforts to stamp out racism, which specifically has included monkey/chimp noises and bananas thrown at black players and that Millwall has a notably poor reputation for racism. I honestly can't see how you'd not be aware of these things unless you'd been under a rock for twenty years.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events