ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th May 2019, 09:08 PM   #1
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Android Users -

I'm now one of you. I've escaped.

Apple has finally lost me and I've upgraded to A Galaxy S10+.

Playing with it while it's receiving data from my soon to be departed iPhone X - possibly the most overrated model in the history of iPhones. It's a great camera, and that's about it. So far I'm liking the Samsung, except the finger print scanner is having a problem initializing, there's a fair amount of crapware (maybe it's just that I'm not used to that) and the slick finish on the back get's smudgy real fast - going into a case asap.

Those are minor issues - I'm trying to avoid major ones, and that's where you Android gurus come in, since I have next to no experience with this OS. I seek recommendations for -

Anti Virus / security apps
Music apps, preferably free music
Photo / Video editing apps
Must have apps, any category
Any performance tweaks and tips

Thanks in advance.

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:15 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

If you travel by public transport a lot, there's usually some freeware or cheapware realtime timetable apps available. Often they combine local bus, train (subway?) and ferry timetables, and have a GoogleMaps-like ability to get you from hither to yon efficiently.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:21 PM   #3
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If you travel by public transport a lot, there's usually some freeware or cheapware realtime timetable apps available. Often they combine local bus, train (subway?) and ferry timetables, and have a GoogleMaps-like ability to get you from hither to yon efficiently.
Thank you for that, I travel on public transport almost exclusively these days.

AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post

Apple has finally lost me and I've upgraded to A Galaxy S10+...
You'll be back. Just you wait! Itunes is upgrading next year and it's going to be more bloated and useless than ever!

Bwahahahahahahahaha

Meanwhile enjoy dancing to tune of The Man!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:55 PM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Welcome to the Team Eschaton.

Check what bloatware you can uninstall. Usually, there is no need for Antivirus/firewalls.

If you have Amazon Prime, the music app will see you well supplied. There is also a music-only version of YT.
Old 13th May 2019, 10:01 PM   #6
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Dance...even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room.
Dance...even if you have nothing to dance to but the tune of The Man!
Just dance...and wear sunscreen.
Old 13th May 2019, 10:06 PM   #7
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You'll be back. Just you wait! Itunes is upgrading next year and it's going to be more bloated and useless than ever!

Bwahahahahahahahaha

Meanwhile enjoy dancing to tune of The Man!
iTunes is one of things that drove me off, that and there's been an ongoing issue with a failure to download pics and videos from my iPhone to my PC which the can't be resolved by the Genius bar, gotta be a windows issue.

Those pics and videos transferred to the S10 seem to be downloading to my PC without any fuss at the moment.

Hrm.

Last edited by AJM8125; 13th May 2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 14th May 2019, 01:23 AM   #8
Worm
Master Poster

Most of my usage goes into Spotify for music, (free as long as you can put up with the ads) and Pocket Casts for podcasts (though the most recent update took it back a step for me)

I have, for many years, used the Nova Launcher as an alternative to the default, and the Minimal UI icon pack as an alternative theme.

K-@ mail is my preferred mail app, though I know mail can be a very personal thing, so YMMV.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 01:44 AM   #9
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Never needed any anti-virus software in nearly a decade of using Android phones.

For photo editing, I use Snapseed (nice, intuitive interface, easy to use) and Photoshop Express (mainly for adding watermarks easily).

Samsung phones are particularly bad for bloatware, and seem to run slowly after a while, too, in my limited experience. I've had better experiences with Sony and currently Nokia phones.

For podcasts, I'm using Podcast Addict.

I don't listen to a lot of music on the phone, but when I do I use Spotify (free version) or Amazon Music (I've got Prime).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 06:55 AM   #10
plague311
Great minds think...

I'm not sure what all you're looking for so I'll give you the list of important ones that I have:

Handcent SMS (I can't stand the default text program. I also can backup, and it has screen popups for text messages instead of having to unlock)
Spotify for Music and Podcast, but I really only listen to All the Presidents Lawyers and Left Right and Center
Google Home, which I think comes standard. I have about 6 Chromecasts, it comes in handy
Tapatalk for specifically this forum
Zedge for ringtones, which I never use because my phone is on vibrate, but it's decent

Then the normal junk, wifi analyzer, weather channel, teamviewer, jefit because I've been losing weight and it has video details on how to do workouts, lastpass, fiverr, etc.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 07:49 AM   #11
catsmate
No longer the 1

One of us, one of us, one of us, one of us.....
Congrats on recovering from Apple.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 05:10 PM   #12
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Playing with it while it's receiving data from my soon to be departed iPhone X - possibly the most overrated model in the history of iPhones. It's a great camera, and that's about it. So far I'm liking the Samsung, except the finger print scanner is having a problem initializing, there's a fair amount of crapware (maybe it's just that I'm not used to that) and the slick finish on the back get's smudgy real fast - going into a case asap.

Those are minor issues - I'm trying to avoid major ones, and that's where you Android gurus come in, since I have next to no experience with this OS. I seek recommendations for -

Thanks in advance.
One thing you should really pay attention to is what permissions an app requires when installing it. If it's asking for things it doesn't need, like SMS access, don't install it. It may be OK - or maybe not. (Often, good authors will explain why each permission is needed).

For apps, I would recommend you consider installing F-Droid. It's an alternative application manager ("App Store", if you will) that focus on Open Source.

Anti-virus: Can't say here, I have one installed that I got for free some time ago but it has never picked up on anything.
Free music: There are lots of choices, the most popular open-source solution seems to be Vanilla Music. I uninstalled it when it had problems with playing (would stop for unknown reasons). Other good choices seem to be Odyssey or Phonograph.
Photo: I cannot recommend Open Camera strongly enough. Very, very good open-source camera application; lots of good features. I don't use editing apps, so cannot recommend any of those.

Must haves:

You may want Google's Authenticator, which some places use for 2FA authentication. A password manager is also a good idea, there are a lot of free cross platform ones; I use PasswdSafe personally.

Adobe Acrobat is available to read PDFs, although it is not the only solution.

Video playback: Install VLC. The native video player can handle most formats, but VLC is a) open source and b) can (usually) handle more formats and is more flexible.

Depending on the sort of things you do, IMDb, Netflix, and others are available.

Networking: Install WiFiAnalyzer from F-Droid (watch the name, there are several WiFiAnalyzers in the Google Play Store).

If you follow XKCD, install EasyXKCD.

Keyboards: I use AnySoftKeyboard, but it depends on your preferences; others love swipe-style keyboards. The native keyboard is also pretty good.

Other tools to look at: Tasker, Trigger, Automate to automate various tasks (e.g. do things when it connects to your car's Bluetooth). Bubble level; again, best to look in F-Droid, as there are many junky bubble levels in the Play store.

Games: Depends on what you do. There are lots of good time-wasters like Solitaire variants. Frozen Bubble is available and is open source, although again there are a lot of closed-source/ad driven clones.

Other comments: Eventually I would recommend you root your device. Note that doing so will a) void your warranty and b) erase all data you have on the phone. However, it's fairly common practice - especially for a mainstream device like yours - and it allows:
  • Full backup of everything (and I mean everything: apps, data, OS, boot) to SD card or external storage (requires installing a custom recovery like TWRP). This allows full recovery if things go very wrong.
  • Full backup of apps with their data, again to any location, with versions (look up Titanium Backup). Includes backups of most settings, such as Bluetooth and WiFi, and of things like SMS messages and call history.
  • Removal of junk shoved in by Samsung or your carrier
  • When your phone gets older, installation of a custom ROM (I recommend LineageOS but there are others) that gives it an entirely new lease on life

Installing a custom ROM is especially important when Samsung stops pushing out updates; I have a Tab S2 (SM-T713, if you want the exact model) that is running Android 9 (Oreo, LineageOS). The last version of Android supported by Samsung for that device is 7 (M), i.e. two versions behind. LineageOS also puts out updates, for actively maintained devices, something like twice a week, so you will never be behind on security updates. There is a small risk that there will be bugs, but again for an S10 you're got essentially the best supported device for ROM replacements.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:49 PM   #13
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you for that, I travel on public transport almost exclusively these days.
I'm sure it varies by locale, but I uninstalled my last local transit app (for Tri-Met in Portland, Oregon) because Google Maps quite some time ago started showing up-to-the-minute transit information throughout the Portland Metropolitan Area. It's my one-stop shop for finding out when the bus is coming to my stop and for mapping out trips and transfers, as well as finding out what businesses are nearby.

My only absolute necessity is the Stitcher podcast app, though I stick with that one because it's where the Earwolf podcast archives are available for a very reasonable fee (about the price charged by high-profile Patreon podcasts, but so much more content available). It also includes most other podcasts, but if you're not subscribing to Stitcher Premium, there are better apps available. Podcast Addict was the last "generic" podcast app I used and I really liked it.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 06:23 PM   #14
8enotto
Muse

I have older phones on Andy 2, 4 and 6
Never noted a virus but bloatware kills the Andy 2 hone.

I don't bother with much more than a photo editor and mah jong on any of them, never installed Tapatalk on any and navigate all forums equally fast.

I am no power user obviously and a cheaper Lanix phone is my Andy 6 platform. A bit slow but adequate for YouTube or general surfing needs.

I like my Samsung and Sony devices better for the software quality, better photo editing by far.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 06:35 PM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Does the 10 still have Bixby? If not, maybe we'll upgrade! If it does, and you can figure out how to get rid of her and reassign the button to something useful, let me know. I'm too lazy to figure it out myself.
Old 14th May 2019, 08:29 PM   #16
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Thank you all for the wonderful responses, you've all been a great help and pointed me in the right direction - which is all I ask. This is why this place is one awesome source of information - thanks again.

@Trebuchet -

Yes Bixby is still there - her button is right under the volume rocker where you're sure to activate her by accident. Annoying.

Old 14th May 2019, 10:46 PM   #17
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I don't bother with much more than a photo editor and mah jong on any of them, never installed Tapatalk on any and navigate all forums equally fast.
My issue with Tapatalk is that it can compound the annoying quirks of a forum with its own. At this point, I think most people with at least a 1080p phone will find that using a browser is just as easy. Go lower than 1080p and you might have to zoom often enough that the app becomes preferable.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:48 PM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Does the 10 still have Bixby? If not, maybe we'll upgrade! If it does, and you can figure out how to get rid of her and reassign the button to something useful, let me know. I'm too lazy to figure it out myself.
Remapping the Bixby button is built in now. I use it to throw up the calculator no matter what I'm also doing on the phone.
Old 16th May 2019, 12:09 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Remapping the Bixby button is built in now. I use it to throw up the calculator no matter what I'm also doing on the phone.
Is that just for the 10, or can I do it with the 9? Guess I'd better do some Googling.
Old 16th May 2019, 04:33 PM   #20
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

Is that just for the 10, or can I do it with the 9? Guess I'd better do some Googling.
I just got a S8 and have the Bixby button set to open an app. You double press to open Bixby, which I've never used.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:31 PM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Think it is part of One UI so if you get that update it should be there.
Old 18th May 2019, 01:24 PM   #22
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Further impressions of the S10+:

Very crashy - apps that I've used for years with iOS without problems don't run a well as their Android cousins. Probably should try finding apps that are optimized for Android only?

Edge display and the display in general is driving me nuts; popping up, sliding sideways, tabs closing - probably because I'm still trying to use iOS gestures that do something different on the S10. Working on it.

Cell service frequently drops in my building, which has AT&T antennas distributed throughout. iPhone never dropped a call. Ever. Might be just a faulty unit.

Bottom line - Keeping it. It's beginning to grow on me. This is the first day I've been able to really explore it in detail - Haven't even setup email accounts yet.

Old 19th May 2019, 01:46 AM   #23
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Anti virus isn't crucial, yet, but is becoming more worthwhile. AVG for Android seems to do the job pretty well.

For music I use a big microSD card with all my my ripped CDs and a music player app, the native one will do fine if you have no particular requirements.

Everything else really depends on what you're planning to do with it?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 01:56 AM   #24
HeadOverH33ls
New Blood

Welcome to the Android side... I always liked Apple, but I still use Android, because Apple is too expensive for me.
HeadOverH33ls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 07:40 AM   #25
catsmate
No longer the 1

Recently I started using the Pixel 3a. Excellent piece of tech.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 08:15 AM   #26
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I got myself an A2 lite recently: $170 and everything you could want, including a huge battery.
Old 19th May 2019, 08:36 AM   #27
Senex
Philosopher

None of these are the androids I am looking for.
Senex is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 09:11 AM   #28
Elagabalus
Illuminator

...Cell service frequently drops in my building, which has AT&T antennas distributed throughout. iPhone never dropped a call. Ever. Might be just a faulty unit.

Bottom line - Keeping it. It's beginning to grow on me. This is the first day I've been able to really explore it in detail - Haven't even setup email accounts yet.
Yes, I'm sure that's it. Come back to the Apple fold before it's too late, AJM8125! Meanwhile, keep using your phone like it's some external drive that you can just dump files onto, LOL! You're missing iTunes already!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 09:52 AM   #29
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I got myself an A2 lite recently: $170 and everything you could want, including a huge battery.
I got a few Pixels as freebies from Google.
Old 19th May 2019, 12:31 PM   #30
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
For apps, I would recommend you consider installing F-Droid. It's an alternative application manager ("App Store", if you will) that focus on Open Source.
(emphasis mine)

As one who is deeply suspicious of the Google ecosystem (I have no idea of what they're tracking and storing long term) I heartily endorse the recommendation to use F-Droid. In addition, applications from the Google Play store are usually infested with advertisements and could well contain malware.

Install any app from the Play store with suspicion: read its documentation carefully, and as gcmcdorman noted, if it asks for unexpected permissions without saying why, don't install it. I believe there are ways on newer Android versions that allow you to selectively disable permissions after an app has been installed. I'm running an older Android and the permission scheme is effectively binary: "grant everything the app asks for" or "don't install the app."

My apps, all from F-Droid:
  • Atmospheric Logger: monitors a barometer built into the phone and provides a three month graph of prior readings. The graph gets interesting if you take an elevator up several floors in a tall building or drive a significant distance to an area with a different elevation.
  • AudioMeter: provides a readout of how noisy your immediate vicinity is
  • Barcode scanner: works on simple bar codes and 2-D codes like QR code and Data Matrix
  • Open Camera: a very extensive camera app. (I installed it so I could get my Samsung to take a picture by pressing the Volume Down button, which is what some selfie sticks use to trigger a picture. The camera app on new Samsungs might now do this by default.)
  • RPN calculator: calculator that uses Reverse Polish Notation
  • Secret Codes: Displays a list of codes that can be entered on the phone keypad to run various tests
  • Sensor Readout: show all the sensors in your phone (there's an astonishing variety of them) and gives raw readouts of their values
  • StatSat: shows the current location of various GPS satellites (GPS and GLONASS; newer phones probably have the Galileo constellation as well)
  • Thermometer Extended: Shows current temperature, relative humidity, atmospheric pressure, and light level.
  • Units: conversion between hundreds of different units: 1 furlong/fortnight is how many millimetres per minute? (9.98). How many US pints ('uspint') in a British firkin ('brfirkin') (86.47)
  • Wikipedia
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 03:17 PM   #31
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
...[*] RPN calculator: calculator that uses Reverse Polish Notation
Now you're just messin' with us.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #32
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Thanks in advance.
Update: Not only are Android Users traitors to Apple™. Now they're also traitors to the good ol' US of A too!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

You're welcome.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet