ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 16th April 2018, 11:14 PM   #961
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
So Trump will have to find another fox to guard that particular henhouse?
This guy.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 09:32 AM   #962
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What skill that must have taken!
To be fair, the caption writers on The Onion probably didn't realise that in 2018, that using one hand to drink might be a difficult task for the POTUS

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 17th April 2018 at 09:34 AM.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 09:42 AM   #963
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It's hard to fire Pence. He can resign or be impeached but Trump can't just fire him.
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he tried to fire Pence. I doubt he actually knows he can't.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 10:01 AM   #964
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Someone once described the Vice-Presidency as "just a heartbeat away from a real job".
John Adams, who was the first VIce President with Washington as President describe the office as "The most insignificant office every devised by the mind of man",

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 10:34 AM   #965
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he tried to fire Pence. I doubt he actually knows he can't.
There is actually one way that Trump can relieve Pence from the post of VP.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 10:50 AM   #966
d4m10n
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
John Adams, who was the first VIce President with Washington as President describe the office as "The most insignificant office every devised by the mind of man",
Adams managed to rise above it, though.

You might call it OJT.

Last edited by d4m10n; 17th April 2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added quote
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 11:13 AM   #967
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Adams managed to rise above it, though.

You might call it OJT.
It should be kept in mind that when John Adams was Vice President the position was filled by whomever finished second in the balloting. Imagine Hillary Clinton as the Vice President today.
Old 17th April 2018, 11:19 AM   #968
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It should be kept in mind that when John Adams was Vice President the position was filled by whomever finished second in the balloting. Imagine Hillary Clinton as the Vice President today.
Genius, we wouldn't have Betsy as secretary of education.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 11:31 AM   #969
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Genius, we wouldn't have Betsy as secretary of education.
Yeah, those ties in the Senate would break against the administration, not for it.
Old 17th April 2018, 11:44 AM   #970
d4m10n
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
There is actually one way that Trump can relieve Pence from the post of VP.
I can think of at least three or four ways.

Resign (e.g. Richard M. Nixon)

Die (e.g. William H. Harrison)

Impeachment in the House followed by conviction in the Senate (unprecedented)

Incapacity (NEW)

ETA: Upon reconsideration, that last one doesn't technically promote the VP to President.

Last edited by d4m10n; 17th April 2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: URL
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 12:05 PM   #971
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I can think of at least three or four ways.

Resign (e.g. Richard M. Nixon)

Die (e.g. William H. Harrison)

Impeachment in the House followed by conviction in the Senate (unprecedented)

Incapacity (NEW)

ETA: Upon reconsideration, that last one doesn't technically promote the VP to President.
When I wrote "how Trump can relieve", I only considered ways due to conscious actions by Trump. I forgot about "suicide", as a subset of "die" per your list. Anyways, give the man another cheeseburger!

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 12:28 PM   #972
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am betting that after today's Superme Court Deciision on immigration, Trump is asking if there is a way he can fire Goresuch.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 12:49 PM   #973
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am betting that after today's Superme Court Deciision on immigration, Trump is asking if there is a way he can fire Goresuch.
That's what I love about SCOTUS. These guys can pretty much let their conscience be their guide and they owe the President that nominated them nothing. So, you get these cases that break the other way. And while the last 4 Chief Justices were appointed by Republicans Warren appointed by Eisenhower voted very often with the more liberal side of the court and Roberts upheld Obamacare with his vote.
Old 17th April 2018, 05:36 PM   #974
jond
Illuminator

Nikki Halley. “With all due respect, I don’t get confused.”
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 05:53 PM   #975
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jond View Post
Nikki Halley. “With all due respect, I don’t get confused.”
Had to Google that. It's hard to keep up when your boss has the attention span of a two-year-old.

She's never been a great fit for this admin anyhow, being brown, female, and an anchor baby.
Old 17th April 2018, 07:29 PM   #976
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

It's hard to keep up when your boss has the attention span of a two-year-old goldfish.
ftfy
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 08:17 PM   #977
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
ftfy
He is about the right color.
Old 17th April 2018, 09:56 PM   #978
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

good point, well made
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 10:02 PM   #979
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

He is about the right color.
And the same facial expression.
Old 19th April 2018, 10:02 AM   #980
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Had to Google that. It's hard to keep up when your boss has the attention span of a two-year-old.

She's never been a great fit for this admin anyhow, being brown, female, and an anchor baby.
I've not really followed her, but I had some respect for her until she took this job. That line earned her back a bit of that respect.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 10:49 AM   #981
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You forgot she's intelligent.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th April 2018, 02:42 PM   #982
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Too much time spent presidenting to sack anyone?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 02:59 PM   #983
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Too much time spent presidenting to sack anyone?
It's only Thursday. Firing Friday is tomorrow.
Old 19th April 2018, 04:39 PM   #984
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Too much time spent presidenting having his ego stroked by foreign leaders at Mar-a-Lago to sack anyone?
ftfy
Old 19th April 2018, 05:32 PM   #985
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

It's only Thursday. Firing Friday is tomorrow.
This

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics