ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 8th April 2020, 11:05 AM   #3001
Belz...
Fiend God

He's clearly focusing on the important stuff.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:07 AM   #3002
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

FLATTENING OF THE CURVE!

Bernie Sanders is OUT! Thank you to Elizabeth Warren. If not for her, Bernie would have won almost every state on Super Tuesday! This ended just like the Democrats & the DNC wanted, same as the Crooked Hillary fiasco. The Bernie people should come to the Republican Party, TRADE!

Wow, Bernie is unwilling to give up his delegates, and wants more of them! What’s that all about?

Can’t see AOC plus 3 supporting Sleepy Joe!
As with so many other things Trump does, it saddens me that tweets like this are encouraged by his followers. Pure trolling. Nothing of value. And idiots love this stuff.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:13 AM   #3003
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Extraordinary times require even closer cooperation between friends. Thank you India and the Indian people for the decision on HCQ. Will not be forgotten! Thank you Prime Minister
@NarendraModi for your strong leadership in helping not just India, but humanity, in this fight!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:14 AM   #3004
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
As with so many other things Trump does, it saddens me that tweets like this are encouraged by his followers. Pure trolling. Nothing of value. And idiots love this stuff.
His tweets are a perfect example of how people can draw completely different conclusions from the same thing. While his followers think his tweets are great, I see them as revealing a truly sick and disgusting person. If I knew nothing else about him except his tweets, I would still conclude he's a POS.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:27 AM   #3005
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The court that decided in-person voting is fine reached that decision after a virtual hearing.

Yup.

Wow.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:28 AM   #3006
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Trump Tweets

FLATTENING OF THE CURVE!

Bernie Sanders is OUT! Thank you to Elizabeth Warren. If not for her, Bernie would have won almost every state on Super Tuesday! This ended just like the Democrats & the DNC wanted, same as the Crooked Hillary fiasco. The Bernie people should come to the Republican Party, TRADE!

Wow, Bernie is unwilling to give up his delegates, and wants more of them! What’s that all about?

To those "Bernie people"-

If you ever want to see (for example) universal health care coverage (or at least within your lifetimes)- no, you really shouldn't. Will you get it under Biden? No, most likely not; but you might at least get a reasonable approach to it. With the Republicans, especially under Trump, what you will get is at least two (possibly more) Supreme Court justices who will, when you do finally get someone like Bernie down the road who tries to implement some sort of UHC, join the Kavanaugh-led majority to throw it out; those guys are there for life, and Trump will certainly pick judges who will be young enough that that will mean your lives as well.

So, there you go, it's your choice. You can throw a tantrum and piss away your own ideals, or you can grow up a little and realize that you can't always get what you want right when you want it. I mean, surely you're not under any illusion that Trump will deliver on Bernie's promises, are you? The man won't even deliver on his own.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:30 AM   #3007
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post

He couldn’t have voted in person, he’s only in Florida like once a week.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:39 AM   #3008
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post

If you ever want to see (for example) universal health care coverage (or at least within your lifetimes)- no, you really shouldn't. Will you get it under Biden? No, most likely not; but you might at least get a reasonable approach to it. With the Republicans, especially under Trump, what you will get is at least two (possibly more) Supreme Court justices who will, when you do finally get someone like Bernie down the road who tries to implement some sort of UHC, join the Kavanaugh-led majority to throw it out; those guys are there for life, and Trump will certainly pick judges who will be young enough that that will mean your lives as well.

So, there you go, it's your choice. You can throw a tantrum and piss away your own ideals, or you can grow up a little and realize that you can't always get what you want right when you want it. I mean, surely you're not under any illusion that Trump will deliver on Bernie's promises, are you? The man won't even deliver on his own.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:39 AM   #3009
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

They should just go back to the ******** countries they come from!
Old 8th April 2020, 11:40 AM   #3010
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Are you mad? Voting would take time away from his golf game!
Old 8th April 2020, 11:50 AM   #3011
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Aw, only five? (j/k)

Seriously, I'm not sure I understand why it's so hard to get the simple, central point that the re-election of Trump now isn't just for now- the consequences of his continuing in office will continue long after he is out. He's the anti-Bernie- petulance at not getting the real one won't get you anywhere but further than ever from what both you and Bernie stand for.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:53 AM   #3012
wareyin
Philosopher

If enough of us say this, hopefully they'll listen.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:54 AM   #3013
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Aw, only five? (j/k)

Seriously, I'm not sure I understand why it's so hard to get the simple, central point that the re-election of Trump now isn't just for now- the consequences of his continuing in office will continue long after he is out. He's the anti-Bernie- petulance at not getting the real one won't get you anywhere but further than ever from what both you and Bernie stand for.
If Bernie supporters do not turn out for Biden in this extremely crucial election then they will prove themselves to be as petty and lacking in long term thinking as Trump.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:08 PM   #3014
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I saw someone track it down. They noted that his ballot was sent to his address in Florida on something like March 9, and was returned on March 14. He was not in Florida in any of that time.

Now granted, he is the President and could certainly have a courier bring his ballot to the White House and back to Florida in a day. But the question is, did he? Some reporter could try to track that down.

I would put up good money to bet that he never saw his ballot.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:10 PM   #3015
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
If enough of us say this, hopefully they'll listen.
To turn the ship around, you first need to turn to the side and then you turn back the other direction.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:25 PM   #3016
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I saw someone track it down. They noted that his ballot was sent to his address in Florida on something like March 9, and was returned on March 14. He was not in Florida in any of that time.

Now granted, he is the President and could certainly have a courier bring his ballot to the White House and back to Florida in a day. But the question is, did he? Some reporter could try to track that down.

I don't think the ballot would have to be mailed in Florida. That's the whole point of an absentee ballot. I suspect he gets regular deliveries of business documents from Maralago. He might well have received it at the White House and signed it himself. The real issue is that he's claiming voting by mail is cheating, except when he does it.

Last edited by Bob001; 8th April 2020 at 12:29 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 12:30 PM   #3017
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I don't think the ballot would have to be mailed in Florida. That's the whole point of an absentee ballot. I suspect he gets regular deliveries of business documents from Maralago. He might well have received it at the White House and signed it himself. The real issue is that's he claiming voting by mail is cheating, except when he does it.
I still don't even think he did it.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:49 PM   #3018
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
They should just go back to the ******** countries they come from!

Well, I've got good news for you, but also some bad news.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:54 PM   #3019
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I don't think the ballot would have to be mailed in Florida. That's the whole point of an absentee ballot. I suspect he gets regular deliveries of business documents from Maralago. He might well have received it at the White House and signed it himself. The real issue is that he's claiming voting by mail is cheating, except when he does it.
I wonder if he signed in Sharpie...
Old 8th April 2020, 01:28 PM   #3020
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Crayon.
Old 8th April 2020, 01:45 PM   #3021
plague311
Great minds think...

Crayon.
Ketchup from his McDonald's Big Mac meal that he would later claim was the blood of his fallen enemies.

This is Trump after all.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 02:33 PM   #3022
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

A quick look would establish if he had used the ballot, has it got Trump written over everything else in black sharpie
Old 8th April 2020, 02:34 PM   #3023
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
A quick look would establish if he had used the ballot, has it got Trump written over everything else in black sharpie
In his defense, "Trump" is the one word we can be almost certain he knows how to spell. Probably.

eta: unless that's why he has to have his name slapped everywhere, to remind him. Hmmm. Nevermind, hypothesis withdrawn!
Old 8th April 2020, 02:50 PM   #3024
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder about that. Myself and a colleague sign with a fountain pen. I do it because I enjoy the use of same for many reasons. One of those reasons is that when sitting in the, say, bank managers office, it adds a veneer of authority whether it is real or not. Besides that, I simply enjoy using an expensive pen. Using a fountain pen imposes a certain written discipline due to the risk of smearing the ink. I like that. In ballpoint my writing is illegible. On top of that, one can wander into calligraphy from there simply by swapping nibs. On top of that, one there is a certain pleasure to it. Writing anything anything slowly and carefully seems anathema these days. Some of my fountain pens are antiques.

Now, I will admit my colleague takes it a step further. He insists on using a kind of purple ink. And he refuses to identify it just to annoy me.

The notion of a president signing anything in sharpie with a series of zig zags seems...childlike. It is as if he never got beyond kindergarten.

Oh and note: Neither I nor my colleague are wealthy. We simply like it. There is a tactile experience to a weighty chunk of pen in one's hand.

It makes the current potus look like a child. The best he can manage is a sawtooth wave with a crayon.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 03:04 PM   #3025
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
It has to be infuriating, suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome.

When you hate so much, it really clouds your judgement.

You can even disagree with him then, and be reasonable about it.
Only a true conservatroll would ever use the term Trump Derangement Syndrome unironically.

Hatred of a treasonous, bigoted, bullying criminal is an entirely RATIONAL response.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 03:05 PM   #3026
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says he can’t wait for “gorgeous, beautiful Easter” and suggests we spend our coronavirus downtime getting right with God.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 03:05 PM   #3027
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
In his defense, "Trump" is the one word we can be almost certain he knows how to spell. Probably.

eta: unless that's why he has to have his name slapped everywhere, to remind him. Hmmm. Nevermind, hypothesis withdrawn!
Spell? You mean that myocardial infarction graph he scribbles on every document?
Old 8th April 2020, 03:06 PM   #3028
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
In the UK we call it The Civil Service.

Watch any episode of Yes Minister to see how it works.
British TV satire notwithstanding, the Civil Service would have put an end to Trump's BS in short order because it enforces the rules and standards of good governance.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 03:08 PM   #3029
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Earlier Trump tweeted that he was sending ventilators to Colorado.

They had ordered 500 ventilators, but the order was canceled after FEMA scooped them all up.
Old 8th April 2020, 03:08 PM   #3030
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
To poke at the next sentence... "That doesn't mean that there's much actual fraud that happens." Yes, though, as far as we can tell, voter fraud is remarkably rare, overall, and the increased turnout associated with allowing everyone the chance to vote easily by mail fairly certainly increases electoral integrity by multiple orders of magnitude more than fraud will reduce electoral integrity, provided that serious, but reasonable, measures are taken to ensure safety and security.
Election fraud in the US is nearly all done on the counting side, not the voter side.

Old 8th April 2020, 03:43 PM   #3031
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I wonder about that. Myself and a colleague sign with a fountain pen. I do it because I enjoy the use of same for many reasons. One of those reasons is that when sitting in the, say, bank managers office, it adds a veneer of authority whether it is real or not. Besides that, I simply enjoy using an expensive pen. Using a fountain pen imposes a certain written discipline due to the risk of smearing the ink. I like that. In ballpoint my writing is illegible. On top of that, one can wander into calligraphy from there simply by swapping nibs. On top of that, one there is a certain pleasure to it. Writing anything anything slowly and carefully seems anathema these days. Some of my fountain pens are antiques.

Now, I will admit my colleague takes it a step further. He insists on using a kind of purple ink. And he refuses to identify it just to annoy me.

The notion of a president signing anything in sharpie with a series of zig zags seems...childlike. It is as if he never got beyond kindergarten.

Oh and note: Neither I nor my colleague are wealthy. We simply like it. There is a tactile experience to a weighty chunk of pen in one's hand.

It makes the current potus look like a child. The best he can manage is a sawtooth wave with a crayon.
Have you considered a goose quill? Or, for that truly luxurious experience, a swan quill?
Old 8th April 2020, 03:44 PM   #3032
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

They had ordered 500 ventilators, but the order was canceled after FEMA scooped them all up.

What I find amazing is that, even when doing something "right", he manages to find a way to screw it up.

Commandeering every ventilator in storage, and all new production that is in the pipeline, is something that the Federal government should be doing. They should have done it months ago, in fact. Then they could be distributed to the various states or cities according to need, based on some kind of objective criteria.

But that's not what Trump did, of course. He went out and encouraged the states to bid against each other, scrambling to each find their own source of supplies, and then went and starting confiscating **** anyways.

So now the states have no idea where anything is, when anything might arrive where it's needed, and how much of it to expect. Not only can't they rely on the Federal plans, they can't even rely on their own plans anymore, because you never know when Trump will waltz in and take everything.

It's the perfect storm of stupid, even though it has a thin veneer of reasonableness smeared on it.

Last edited by Horatius; 8th April 2020 at 03:45 PM.
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 03:52 PM   #3033
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweeted “Will be immediately sending 100 Ventilators to Colorado at the request of Senator Gardner!”

The only reason he tweets about this is to make himself look magnanimous as if it's some kind of charity he's doling out to a lowly underling. There really is no reason to be bragging about doing his job. That's what the stockpile is for.
Old 8th April 2020, 03:54 PM   #3034
carrps
Thinker

Have you considered a goose quill? Or, for that truly luxurious experience, a swan quill?
I just finished a biography of Sir Thomas Mallory, and, as an aside, the author mentioned that goose feathers were plucked for use as quills from both sides of the goose's body. Right handers got quills made from feathers on the left side of the goose because they curved to the right. Vice versa for lefties.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 04:07 PM   #3035
wareyin
Philosopher

To turn the ship around, you first need to turn to the side and then you turn back the other direction.
No, no, no, the best way to turn the ship around is to sink it, drown yourself and all of your friends, and thereby prevent that ship from ever reaching your preferred destination.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 04:10 PM   #3036
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
What I find amazing is that, even when doing something "right", he manages to find a way to screw it up.

Commandeering every ventilator in storage, and all new production that is in the pipeline, is something that the Federal government should be doing. They should have done it months ago, in fact. Then they could be distributed to the various states or cities according to need, based on some kind of objective criteria.

But that's not what Trump did, of course. He went out and encouraged the states to bid against each other, scrambling to each find their own source of supplies, and then went and starting confiscating **** anyways.

So now the states have no idea where anything is, when anything might arrive where it's needed, and how much of it to expect. Not only can't they rely on the Federal plans, they can't even rely on their own plans anymore, because you never know when Trump will waltz in and take everything.

It's the perfect storm of stupid, even though it has a thin veneer of reasonableness smeared on it.
If he was a smarter malignant narcissist, I'd think that it was done on purpose in order to screw over those uppity governors. For better or worse (it's worse, it's always worse), however, it's almost certainly pure executive incompetence.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 04:22 PM   #3037
Mader Levap
Muse

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
If he was a smarter malignant narcissist, I'd think that it was done on purpose in order to screw over those uppity governors. For better or worse (it's worse, it's always worse), however, it's almost certainly pure executive incompetence.
Omniincompetence or deliberate sabotage? At certain stage there is no practical difference between them.
Old 8th April 2020, 04:35 PM   #3038
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Omniincompetence or deliberate sabotage? At certain stage there is no practical difference between them.
Of course, which was the point Horatius made. Trump and his collection of sycophantic goons generally do the wrong things and can't do the right thing even when they try.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 06:00 PM   #3039
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Absentee Ballots are a great way to vote for the many senior citizens, military, and others who can’t get to the polls on Election Day. These ballots are very different from 100% Mail-In Voting, which is “RIPE for FRAUD,” and shouldn’t be allowed!

This morning, 450,000 protective suits landed in Dallas, Texas. This was made possible because of the partnership of two great American companies—DuPont and FedEx—and our friends in Vietnam. Thank you! @DuPont_News @FedEx
Old 8th April 2020, 06:07 PM   #3040
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

The White House
@WhiteHouse
To date, we've shipped out more than 8,000 ventilators, have an additional 10,000 ready to go, and 2,200 more will be available on Monday.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics