IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th January 2021, 09:34 PM   #3001
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I've kept track of this. It's at the end of my work day now, and so far today I have had to type a password 12 times, and use some kind of MFA token five times. I'm pretty sure I missed a few, too.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:48 PM   #3002
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ugh. They've got me doing VoIP again. I hate VoIP. Whoever designed Cisco Unity needs to be severely chastised and sent on a usability crash course.

Right now I have to check an entire team of 45 staff to see if they have voice mail set up, and to set them up if they don't. Fortunately only 11 do not.

What a pain in the bum.
Old 19th January 2021, 07:05 AM   #3003
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Ugh. They've got me doing VoIP again. I hate VoIP. Whoever designed Cisco Unity needs to be severely chastised and sent on a usability crash course.

Right now I have to check an entire team of 45 staff to see if they have voice mail set up, and to set them up if they don't. Fortunately only 11 do not.

What a pain in the bum.
The two are sort of exclusive. Cisco products have a reputation for being user unfriendly. I've worked with Asterisk (almost defines "unfriendly") and FreePBX, a web front-end to Asterisk and much nicer to work with.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:49 PM   #3004
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
The two are sort of exclusive. Cisco products have a reputation for being user unfriendly. I've worked with Asterisk (almost defines "unfriendly") and FreePBX, a web front-end to Asterisk and much nicer to work with.
Setting up extra lines and speed dials is the absolute worst. We can't just assign them arbitrarily. No - we have to assign them according to a template, of which there are dozens, with names like "8861_1L 2-4S 5U 6-41S" and we have to find a template, based on this name, that most closely matches the button layout that the client has requested. The client, of course, has absolutely no knowledge of these templates or their limitations.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet