IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old Today, 08:26 AM   #3241
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
No, you seem to consider the BBC to be a mouthpiece and cheerleader.

If it was then the BMA's criticism wouldn't see the light of day. Your complaint appears to be that it doesn't provide a continuous litany of criticism of the government. That's not its job.
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yet they are one of the few that seem to pretty much always mention that the figure is for a single dose not for being vaccinated. Seems strange with your views that they are going against what the UK government is trying to do.

Well, let's just agree to disagree on that. This isn't a thread about the BBC, and the points you highlight are well made.
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #3242
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yes. The government will screw up the rollout completely.

I hope the devolved governments can plot their own course but I fear that they'll come under increasing pressure if England's vaccination rate is twice theirs, never mind that the devolved governments are vaccinating effectively and the English vaccination programme is just window dressing.

I don't know about Wales, but Scotland isn't doing any better on the second dose issue as far as I can see. They're currently being monstered by the Tories for "lagging behind", but this isn't because they're giving people their second injections, it's because they're prioritising care home residents, who take longer to reach, and leaving the over-80s who are healthy and living independently until the care homes have been largely covered.

Scotland has meekly fallen into line on the one-dose-will-do-for-now diktat, and I fear it is all going to end very badly.
Old Today, 09:10 AM   #3243
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I don't know about Wales, but Scotland isn't doing any better on the second dose issue as far as I can see. They're currently being monstered by the Tories for "lagging behind", but this isn't because they're giving people their second injections, it's because they're prioritising care home residents, who take longer to reach, and leaving the over-80s who are healthy and living independently until the care homes have been largely covered.

Scotland has meekly fallen into line on the one-dose-will-do-for-now diktat, and I fear it is all going to end very badly.
Wales is being criticised for its slow vaccination rate. Wales is currently pursuing the same single vaccine strategy. I agree that it's likely to end badly.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #3244
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Wait. The scientists and medics who designed the vaccines carefully calculated the exact composition and dosage needed. They specifically said the second application should be within six weeks . The Health Standards regulators carefully studied the results of the trials and their effectiveness and released the vaccination for use by the general public.

Now, I respect Christ Whitty and Jonathan Van Tam, but it seems they have sat down with Bozo and Matthew Hancock, and decided that to get it to as many people as possible they would stretch it to twelve weeks instead, which one suspects might be extendable again. Of course, they are panicking because of the sheer numbers of new deaths, hospital admissions and deaths, but the truth is this amounts to gross misuse of office to override the drug and vaccination regulating bodies. The people who had jab no.1 ( William Shakespeare, et al) are now at Day 42. They have been lied to and the contract of a second vaccination by Day 42, breached. As this hasn't been trialed, nobody knows the effect of changing the prescribed parameters.

The BBC only looks good because the rest of the press is so bad. It drives me nuts getting 'notifications' about 'Boris' hailing this or blasting that, as though he is a cuddly teddy bear-like figure whom everybody looks upon affectionally, like Paddington Bear, as though he is some kind of loveable rogue. No! Alex Johnson is a scoundrel, there is nothing loveable about him, cast from the same mould as Nigel Farage and Donald Trump. He is a complete and utter rake.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #3245
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Grant Shapps under fire as ...

"Ministers are at the centre of an explosive row over their failure to protect workers from Covid-19 as the Observer reveals the largest workplace outbreak of the virus has taken place at a top government organisation.

More than 500 cases have been recorded at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency’s offices in Swansea, where employees claim people with symptoms were encouraged to return to work while vulnerable workers have had requests to work from home turned down.
A complaint received by Public Health Wales’s outbreak control team claims DVLA workers were asked to turn off their test-and-trace apps “so that their phones do not ping”.

It also says absences relating to Covid have been counted against workers’ sick leave, with anything over 10 days triggering a warning." The Guardian

Utterly appalling. How will he spin his way out of this?
Old Today, 03:28 PM   #3246
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And don't forget that is an organisation that will do everything by the book and the employees have strong unions.

I know pretty much before the current lockdown many large retailers had gone back to their usual "don't work, don't get paid, don't have a job" approach to all sickness.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics