ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags amway , multi-level marketing

Reply
Old 17th November 2018, 02:31 PM   #41
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,451
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
In my opinion, the MLM products are just there to prevent the whole thing from being a pyramid scheme.

In the meantime, MLM is essentially a bait and switch scam.

Come and get wealthy selling magical MLM products. But the key to success is the foolproof training system. Get plugged in, never miss meetings and you are sure to succeed!

Then when the MLM participant inevitably fails, it's the fault of the individual because he was lazy, or didn't follow instructions just right.
Agreed.

There is a reason Amway participants are predominantly Christian. They've been trained to accept things on faith and magical thinking.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 11:36 AM   #42
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,416
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Agreed.

There is a reason Amway participants are predominantly Christian. They've been trained to accept things on faith and magical thinking.
I believe Amway would be a fascinating case study in psychology. Because of the faith in magical thinking, many Amway adherents suddenly see fit to shun their long time family and friends in the quest for untold wealth. They believe the Amway leader who they barely know and make incredible sacrifices in order to please them.

And they continue to press on even when they see financial losses month after month even though they have been told they would be prosperous.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 11:51 AM   #43
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 79,356
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
In my opinion, the MLM products are just there to prevent the whole thing from being a pyramid scheme.
B-b-b-b-bingo!

It's just a workaround. One of more reason why MLMs should be classified as pyramid schemes.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 12:52 PM   #44
Mr Salk
Thinker
 
Mr Salk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
B-b-b-b-bingo!

It's just a workaround. One of more reason why MLMs should be classified as pyramid schemes.
Amway pushes hard on Products too. The company line is to use everything-Amway. The Tools are just supplemental income for the charismatic-preachers.
Mr Salk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 02:13 PM   #45
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,416
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Amway pushes hard on Products too. The company line is to use everything-Amway. The Tools are just supplemental income for the charismatic-preachers.
Uplines will push hard on Amway products as well because they need to maintain their diamond level status or whatever, but the Amway product loyalty if the upline sells something that can be in place of an Amway product.

Specifically, Amway has a voicemail system but uplines, at least in the Worldwide group, has their own voicemail system called "communiKATE" or KATE for short, which they promote as vital even though the Amway system would net someone PV/BV.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 11:38 AM   #46
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,416
Another one bites the dust. This is the guy who wrote an article about how his tax refund was a profit because of Amway. Looks like he is now busy with a family, which is cool. But he apparently did not achieve much in Amway.

Quote:
I started this page May of 2012. The focus was to share my Business Experiences in partnership with my good friends.
Quote:
Since I do not plan to make the time to continue to update this space or go back and significantly edit the previous entries, I’ve wiped them clean so that their irrelevance doesn’t negatively impact anyone learning about new opportunities.

I will sign off by confirming that my wife and I continue to proudly and excitedly build our asset. We are so appreciative of the mentorship we have received through the partnership that we had earned that has positively impacted how we make our decisions. This has allowed us to be in a better life position than we would have been otherwise. We are appreciative of our team members and are proud of their journey’s and victories. We look forward to sharing even more of their victories in the future.

The benefits we have experienced by being involved in the opportunity we are in touch on financial, parenting, marriage, personal relationships, as well as business and job success. And that’s outside of the direct paycheques that are earned. At this time, we have not yet fully achieved the goals we have wanted to. But knocking off other wins on the journey there has made that journey worthwhile thus far.
https://transparencyofadreamer.wordp...s-four-months/
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 04:34 PM   #47
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,788
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Another one bites the dust. This is the guy who wrote an article about how his tax refund was a profit because of Amway. Looks like he is now busy with a family, which is cool. But he apparently did not achieve much in Amway.





https://transparencyofadreamer.wordp...s-four-months/


I think that says everything that needs to be said. They credit the system with stuff that has nothing to do with the system and count it as a win. The title of the blog has the word transparency in it but itís anything but. What is their income solely due to Amway? Is the wife able to stay home due to Amway residual income? Iím gonna guess that the answers are: zero and no. But they could certainly be a bit more transparent about it...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 11:06 PM   #48
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,003
Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Oh. I remember when "the airplane game" came to Australia.

Some people I knew had attended the event (where the top rung were all paid off) and had bought in.

They were rushing around, trying to find suckers to buy in, but it was already too late. (The available pool of marks must be used up very quickly in that scam).

As far as I know, they all lost ever cent.
Good!!!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 11:08 PM   #49
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,003
Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Amazing.

I'm reminded of something that P.T. Barnum is supposed to have said...

(Apparently not much evidence that he said it, but somehow he's associated with it.)
"This way to the Egress" is my favorite!!!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 04:08 PM   #50
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,416
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I think that says everything that needs to be said. They credit the system with stuff that has nothing to do with the system and count it as a win. The title of the blog has the word transparency in it but itís anything but. What is their income solely due to Amway? Is the wife able to stay home due to Amway residual income? Iím gonna guess that the answers are: zero and no. But they could certainly be a bit more transparent about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The blog owner was named Cameron. He actually posted several articles showing how his tax refund was the reason his business had a net profit. He also at one time posted how his business was slow, but it was his fault because he was busy and hadn't done much. I find it interesting that he now deleted all his previous articles. One other thing, he never allowed any comments on his articles. Something that pro Amway people seem to do quite commonly.

His income from Amway if I recall, was basically a hundred bucks a month which got wiped out due to business expenses. But his business expenses resulted in a tax refund so he considered it a profit. It's amazing how the Amway diamonds get their sheep to believe the lies they peddle.

I have asked a multitude of times for someone to name a diamond who built their business and walked away to enjoy massive residual income for life. Not a single person has been able to name and verify a single one. Diamonds work to the death because their income stops if they stop. You can argue that their work isn't like a 9-5, but they still need to be somewhere at particular times in order to keep their income flowing. That's not true financial freedom.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 06:17 PM   #51
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,134
There are a few sites with self-reporting Amway income. The individual rep numbers are appalling of course but the top guys are in the $90K range.

Who knows, it's self-reported. But there are many occupations that pay more and are just regular white-collar jobs like engineers or accountants, medical professionals, etc.

The average garbage man in New York City, after 5.5 years of service, is making about the same kind of money. Not an exaggeration, it was $89K in 2015.

So why does Amway get marketed as some dreamy income status?
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 05:12 AM   #52
Kings Full
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
There are a few sites with self-reporting Amway income. The individual rep numbers are appalling of course but the top guys are in the $90K range.

Who knows, it's self-reported. But there are many occupations that pay more and are just regular white-collar jobs like engineers or accountants, medical professionals, etc.

The average garbage man in New York City, after 5.5 years of service, is making about the same kind of money. Not an exaggeration, it was $89K in 2015.

So why does Amway get marketed as some dreamy income status?
Your looking at this from a rational perspective with a skeptical eye.

There are people out there that believe the moon landings were faked. Steph Curry of the Golden State Warriors to name one.

Then there are the flat earthers...

It's not hard to imagine thousands of people would be willing to, literally, buy into MLM X.

A friend of mines FIL was a high school football coach in Florida years ago. He, the FIL, got in on the ground floor of some insurance based MLM and today he's worth millions. Has a home in Phoenix, Aspen, and Miami. A private jet and countless cars. My friends wife and her sister manage a trust fund, set up by the FIL, that is currently worth over 15 million.

There is money to be made in a MLM... as long as your employee number is < 10. . Everyone else is working to pay the upstream..... but they don't know that.
__________________
I decided to take the train to work one day and as luck would have it I sat across from a stunningly beautiful young Indonesian girl. I kept saying to myself, please don't get an erection, please don't get an erection.... but she did!
Kings Full is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 10:22 AM   #53
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,416
Originally Posted by Kings Full View Post
There is money to be made in a MLM... as long as your employee number is < 10. . Everyone else is working to pay the upstream..... but they don't know that.
I believe you are correct. If you look at Amway, it's mostly the same old tired "diamonds" that are still around after more than 20 years. Yeah, there's a few new ones sprinkled in here and there, but overall, there are fewer diamonds today than there was 20 years ago. Amway sales have tanked from 11.8 billion in 2013 and dropping each year until it's most recent report of 8.6 billion in 2017.

If sales have dropped significantly, then it's only obvious that the number of "big shots" must have decreased as there is less bonus money to pay out.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:03 PM   #54
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,416
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Amway pushes hard on Products too. The company line is to use everything-Amway. The Tools are just supplemental income for the charismatic-preachers.
This Amway dude made about half his income from the tools. It was public record in Montana when he filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy some years ago.

Imagine that, a triple diamond in chapter 7.

https://amthrax.wordpress.com/2009/0...ncan-bankrupt/
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:42 PM   #55
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,016
Can Amway products be paid for in Bitcoin?
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:39 AM   #56
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,416
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Can Amway products be paid for in Bitcoin?
No but even if you could, people would not be walking the beaches of the world retired because of Amway.

Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.