IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 5th April 2021, 06:24 PM   #2441
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
There was no fraud so, no, there will be no arrests. What they did was slimy, underhanded, mean (much the same as Trump) but not illegal
If it isn't illegal, it should be. Using fine print to bilk people is reprehensible.
Old 5th April 2021, 06:45 PM   #2442
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
He's as much a Christian as Madeline Murray O'Hare was.
[spelling Nazi]Actually, surprisingly, it's O'Hair[/spelling Nazi]
I'm correcting myself: it's Madalyn Murray O'Hair. Double screw up on my part.

She was not a nice lady, either, even though I admire her taking a stand on the separation of Church and State.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 07:15 PM   #2443
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

There was no fraud so, no, there will be no arrests. What they did was slimy, underhanded, mean (much the same as Trump) but not illegal

Not so fast. There are reports that, even after people unknowingly authorized a monthly "donation," the campaign changed the frequency to weekly or even more often without the knowledge, let alone the permission, of the victim. That would be outright fraud. Giving the money back, as they have when requested, probably forestalls prosecution. But not every victim has caught the scam or demanded their money back.
Quote:
Stacy Blatt was in hospice care last September listening to Rush Limbaugh’s dire warnings about how badly Donald J. Trump’s campaign needed money when he went online and chipped in everything he could: $500.

It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Mr. Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ns/ar-BB1fgYen
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 08:49 PM   #2444
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Not so fast. There are reports that, even after people unknowingly authorized a monthly "donation," the campaign changed the frequency to weekly or even more often without the knowledge, let alone the permission, of the victim. That would be outright fraud. Giving the money back, as they have when requested, probably forestalls prosecution. But not every victim has caught the scam or demanded their money back.

Was Kevin Trudeau running this thing. This single payment that is actually a recurring payment was a classic Trudeau scam.

The Political Donations "THEY" Don't Want You to Know About.
Old 6th April 2021, 12:28 AM   #2445
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm correcting myself: it's Madalyn Murray O'Hair. Double screw up on my part.

She was not a nice lady, either, even though I admire her taking a stand on the separation of Church and State.
Ironically, one of her sons became an evangelical Christian. He spoke at a church I was attending in the 1980s.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 10:39 AM   #2446
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Ironically, one of her sons became an evangelical Christian. He spoke at a church I was attending in the 1980s.
Over compensation. O'Hair, her son Jon Garth Murray, and her granddaughter Robin Murray O'Hair were murdered by an ex-employee.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 10:50 AM   #2447
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The biggest thieves have always worn suits and ties.

Trump belongs behind bars and has for at least two decades. He stole from bus boys, bartenders, bellhops, cooks, waiters and tradesmen who worked at his properties. He stole from investors, insurance companies, students and from the government.

I say stole instead of cheated. The effect is the same to his victims.
There is nothing criminal about mere wage theft though.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 04:14 PM   #2448
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

The "bump" in payments looks to be "authorized" by failing to clear a checkbox buried in the middle of the legalese fine-print. The question, legally, is whether people can be held to an agreement so obscured. Republicans always seem to fall on the "well, you signed it, you gotta abide by it" side; Real "Letter of the law" and "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" people they keep claiming to be. I'm sure they'll all agree that Trump was just too smart for them, and they will just tip their hats to such a cunning man and feel happy to have been beaten by the best.
Old 6th April 2021, 09:25 PM   #2449
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump apparently thinks it is time for rebranding.

He has started up 45Office.com.
Cynics have speculated that the Trump brand doesn’t have the cachet it once did, so he is trying out #45

Of course he is still living in his alternate reality
From the website “... becoming the first true outsider elected as President of the United States.” Except for Eisenhower, Hoover, Grant, and Taylor. (or to put it in Trump-speak 34, 31, 18, and 12

Last edited by Ladewig; 6th April 2021 at 09:26 PM.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 09:29 PM   #2450
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

That just won't work
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 09:36 PM   #2451
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
From the website “... becoming the first true outsider elected as President of the United States.” Except for Eisenhower, Hoover, Grant, and Taylor. (or to put it in Trump-speak 34, 31, 18, and 12
I'll give that one to Trump. Eisenhower, Grant, and Taylor were high level military. Hoover was Secretary of Everything. They all had extensive high level government positions when they were elected. Trump was something...different.
Old 6th April 2021, 10:32 PM   #2452
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I'll give that one to Trump. Eisenhower, Grant, and Taylor were high level military. Hoover was Secretary of Everything. They all had extensive high level government positions when they were elected. Trump was something...different.
Yes, decidedly more in the mold of Hitler. The incoming Republican administration in 2024 will commence with the good ole boy equivalent of the Enabling Act, and game over. Yes, I obviously assume that -- regardless of what Democrats do -- they can never win a presidential election without a storm of outrage at the latest Republican dagger to the American heart. For once in power, they usually fail to heed Machiavelli:

Quote:
“How we live is so different from how we ought to live that he who studies what ought to be done rather than what is done will learn the way to his downfall rather than to his preservation.”
― Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
For example, not nearly enough bombast and vitriol is coming out in the form of "GOP stealing from average Americans" and "Republicans want you homeless and helpless so they stole your union jobs and wages", and so on, ad infinitum. Pork. Only pork can fill the bellies of those who would sell out to the lowest bidder so that they calm down and turn off the damned radio. Next, restoration of media regulation so the damned radio isn't broadcasting GOP hate speech coast to coast in a KKK monopoly on the airwaves. Meanwhile, across the board emotional messaging.

That's right: to beat the truly evil, you need to learn to use a club. Bullies are best taken head on without quarter or mercy, a true and timeless lesson I learned over the course of the 2008 financial crisis. Hopefully, Biden will drop all pretense at working across the aisle, and go for the jugular. You do not pet rabid dogs biting your leg.
Old 7th April 2021, 06:04 AM   #2453
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump apparently thinks it is time for rebranding.

He has started up 45Office.com.
Cynics have speculated that the Trump brand doesn’t have the cachet it once did, so he is trying out #45

If I didn't know the context, I'd think this was a site for some sort of word processor.

Maybe it autocorrects everything you type into Proper Trump Speech?
Old 7th April 2021, 07:42 AM   #2454
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
If I didn't know the context, I'd think this was a site for some sort of word processor.

"Autoincorrect"?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 11:18 AM   #2455
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
"Autoincorrect"?

Autoincoherent.
Old 7th April 2021, 12:58 PM   #2456
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
"Autoincorrect"?
Autoincoherent.
Lying.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 01:59 PM   #2457
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Lying.
Now, Now. You can't be lying if what you say doesn't sense grammaticing.
Old 7th April 2021, 03:00 PM   #2458
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
Now, Now. You can't be lying if what you say doesn't sense grammaticing.
Covfefe!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 06:28 PM   #2459
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I'm pretty sure that T**** turned off autocorrect years ago. He is incapable of being wrong, so why should he need to be corrected? I believe this to be the reason for things like covfefe and hamberder.
Old 7th April 2021, 07:37 PM   #2460
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I'm pretty sure that T**** turned off autocorrect years ago. He is incapable of being wrong, so why should he need to be corrected? I believe this to be the reason for things like covfefe and hamberder.
Or he ignores red underlining.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 07:44 PM   #2461
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Red underlining on accounts means "negative". T**** ignores negative numbers and stuff.
Old 7th April 2021, 07:46 PM   #2462
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I'm pretty sure he turned it off. How dare it say he's wrong? It's an insult.

Actually it's more likely that he got one of his staff to turn it off for him.
Old 7th April 2021, 08:22 PM   #2463
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm pretty sure he turned it off. How dare it say he's wrong? It's an insult.

Actually it's more likely that he got one of his staff to turn it off for him.
Yeah but how do we know this incurious idiot has a clue what those red lines are for. Maybe he thinks it means those are the best words?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 09:06 PM   #2464
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

And he still claims covfefe was not a typo but rather a reference to something mysterious that a few people know about.

But don’t say he has a mental issue

Because he is a stable genius.
Old 7th April 2021, 10:34 PM   #2465
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"I know more about autocorrect than any covfefes ever could. Hamberders are saying, 'Sir, how do you know so much about autocorrect?' I guess it's just in my DNA. I've got strong genes. Great genes. I had an uncle who taught red underlining at MIT."

Donald J. Trump
Old 7th April 2021, 11:27 PM   #2466
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Unless it's on young beauty pageant contestants.
Old 8th April 2021, 09:41 PM   #2467
eerok
Quixoticist

They're not playin'. Give up your cash.

G.O.P. Group Warns of ‘Defector’ List if Donors Uncheck Recurring Box [nytimes.com]
Quote:
The National Republican Congressional Committee says to donors who opt out of recurring monthly donations: “We will have to tell Trump you’re a DEFECTOR.”
Old 8th April 2021, 11:56 PM   #2468
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
They're not playin'. Give up your cash.

G.O.P. Group Warns of ‘Defector’ List if Donors Uncheck Recurring Box [nytimes.com]
That sounds awfully like the wording used in the fake DNC soliciting reported in another thread.
Old 9th April 2021, 04:33 AM   #2469
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

If you go to the NRCC website, and click the "Donate" link, it brings you to this site, with the mentioned warning. It is not fake.

https://secure.winred.com/nrcc/retake-the-house/

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 05:42 AM   #2470
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

That sounds awfully like the wording used in the fake DNC soliciting reported in another thread.
I'm not familiar with that case, but threatening to rat on you to Trump if you try to get your money back is really ******* low. They get half your monthly wage, then steal the other half.

He's been calling my house a couple of times a day, sometimes as the RNC, sometimes as a local number. Any chance "the little guy" will finally see their hero is a thief? Or at least, that he hires thieves to take their money?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:28 AM   #2471
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm not familiar with that case, but threatening to rat on you to Trump if you try to get your money back is really ******* low. They get half your monthly wage, then steal the other half.

He's been calling my house a couple of times a day, sometimes as the RNC, sometimes as a local number. Any chance "the little guy" will finally see their hero is a thief? Or at least, that he hires thieves to take their money?
Here's a link to a relevant post in the other thread.

And then more here.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 9th April 2021 at 06:30 AM.
Old 9th April 2021, 07:24 AM   #2472
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
If you go to the NRCC website, and click the "Donate" link, it brings you to this site, with the mentioned warning. It is not fake.

https://secure.winred.com/nrcc/retake-the-house/
"I'm telling Trump on you!!!"

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 08:17 AM   #2473
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Guten morgen meine Damen und Herren.

As I read about Phillip’s death I thought about Churchill and WW II.
Then I thought about what the world would look like if №45 (2016 version) were prime minister of Britain in 1940,
What do you think the chances might be that the ending of the Second World War would have been equal to or better than what actually occurred?
Old 9th April 2021, 12:23 PM   #2474
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Then I thought about what the world would look like if №45 (2016 version) were prime minister of Britain in 1940,
What do you think the chances might be that the ending of the Second World War would have been equal to or better than what actually occurred?

I expect there'd be a great deal more German being spoken in Europe and GB.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 12:36 PM   #2475
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

(Not sure if this deserves its own thread or not...)

Looks like the GOP is setting up for one of its conflicts between the Trumpers and the more traditional republicans...

The Senate Leadership Fund will support Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski in her reelection campaign, setting up a clash between the Mitch McConnell-aligned group and GOP candidate Kelly Tshibaka, who has hired some advisers to former President Donald Trump. Trump plans to campaign against Murkowski after her vote to convict him in his second impeachment trial.

Certainly hope Murkowski can block Tshibaka. (Republican support for Trump seems to be fairly solid in Alaska, so even if they get a pro-Trump wingnut nominated, the republicans would probably still win the senate seat. So no point hoping for Murkowski to be primarried and the democrats to win in the aftermath.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 12:46 PM   #2476
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Churchill became PM only in May 1940. Before then there was Neville Chamberlain of "Peace in our time" fame.

T**** would actually have much more in common with Nev than Winston. He would have much preferred to "deal" with Hitler than fight him. Although obviously he would not have had anyone recording their meetings because there would have been some side hustling going on. The infamous piece of paper would have been a rental agreement for a golf course somewhere.

Churchill would still have booted him easily, and history would not have changed much.
Old 9th April 2021, 12:48 PM   #2477
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump would have called hitler his friend and talked of the beautiful letters he had been sent.

He is the 'dictators dictator' the daddy of them all..
Trump would have been all over him.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 01:32 PM   #2478
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Churchill became PM only in May 1940. Before then there was Neville Chamberlain of "Peace in our time" fame.

T**** would actually have much more in common with Nev than Winston. He would have much preferred to "deal" with Hitler than fight him. Although obviously he would not have had anyone recording their meetings because there would have been some side hustling going on. The infamous piece of paper would have been a rental agreement for a golf course somewhere.

Churchill would still have booted him easily, and history would not have changed much.
I meant an alternate timeline in which 70-year-old Trump is in office at the end of 1940 and Churchill doesn’t exist.

Obviously, Churchill could have booted Trump politically, physically, intellectually, and in every other matter.
Old 9th April 2021, 01:51 PM   #2479
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump would have called hitler his friend and talked of the beautiful letters he had been sent.

He is the 'dictators dictator' the daddy of them all..
Trump would have been all over him.
Especially if Adolf Hitler played up the Aryan-blood we-are-ubermenschen crap.

Phone call:
AH: “Donald, we need not follow Christian morality. You and I are far above that. Are you familiar with Neitzsche?”

DJT: “Of course I am. No one knows more about about Neitzsche than I do. Academic scholarly professors come to me to explain that guy to them.”

AH: “We should meet in person, you should fly to Berlin. I’ll have a parade in your honor. Also, when you come, could you bring a lot of unarmed military planes with you? I want to show my Air Force what real planes look like.
Old 9th April 2021, 03:29 PM   #2480
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump would have had more yet in common with Oswald Mosley.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics