IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Matt Gaetz , newsmax

Old 6th April 2021, 12:47 PM   #321
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
We are well on our way to President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.
No, you skipped that step and went straight for Trump.
Old 6th April 2021, 02:04 PM   #322
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It says tons that his fellow GOPers in congress, with a couple of exceptions, are not rushing to Gaetz's defense. They know he is dead meat.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 02:50 PM   #323
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Gaetz is stealing from Trump's playbook, but that seems not be working very well. You have to Donnie to pull that off.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 04:12 PM   #324
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
"Is that a piston in your belt, or are you happy to see me?"
A man is attending to his car which has broken down and stopped on the side of the road. He has the hood up, and is looking at the engine. A shabbily dressed wino walks up and asks "what's the matter?". The man says "piston broke" and the wino says "Yup, me too!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 04:30 PM   #325
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
A man is attending to his car which has broken down and stopped on the side of the road. He has the hood up, and is looking at the engine. A shabbily dressed wino walks up and asks "what's the matter?". The man says "piston broke" and the wino says "Yup, me too!"
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 06:12 PM   #326
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Bad joke thread is in Humor forum. Mods, please move.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 07:28 PM   #327
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Hey, hey, hey!

I didn't say he was replacing a piston. I said he had a piston in his belt!

If you are going to mock my typo, at least get the context right!

I figured that’s why he had it tucked there. I forgot about the fashion at the time.

Mock is a bit strong; maybe needle or kid?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 08:22 PM   #328
dmaker
Graduate Poster

It seems that Gaetz asked for a blanket pardon for him and some congressional allies:

"He privately asked the White House for blanket pre-emptive pardons for himself and unidentified congressional allies for any crimes they may have committed, according to two people told of the discussions."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/u...?smid=tw-share
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 01:29 AM   #329
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I note that various talking heads are saying that none of the allegations would do Matt Gaetz any harm whatsoever in the district he represents.

Bearing that in mind, I can see him brazening this out and unless he's actually jailed, in a few weeks time it'll all be forgotten.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:20 AM   #330
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I note that various talking heads are saying that none of the allegations would do Matt Gaetz any harm whatsoever in the district he represents.

Bearing that in mind, I can see him brazening this out and unless he's actually jailed, in a few weeks time it'll all be forgotten.
I'm not sure. Because he is probably popular with the Trump fans.

There are quite a few ambitious republicans who want Trump's, for want of a better word "mantle".

It's a crowded field full of ruthless, amoral fools*. They would be very happy for Gaetz to be removed from contention, and any GOP candidate would do well for Gaetz's seat.

*If they weren't fools, just utterly cynical, a lot wouldn't actually risk implicating themselves in potentially illegal activities
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:22 AM   #331
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
It seems that Gaetz asked for a blanket pardon for him and some congressional allies:

"He privately asked the White House for blanket pre-emptive pardons for himself and unidentified congressional allies for any crimes they may have committed, according to two people told of the discussions."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/u...?smid=tw-share
So he guilty, then.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 05:05 AM   #332
dmaker
Graduate Poster

The best part about the revelation of the pardon ask is that he denied asking for one to Politico.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 06:05 AM   #333
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
No, you skipped that step and went straight for Trump.

It's been pointed out many times before that when President Camacho was faced with a crisis, he found the smartest person in the country, assigned him to solve the problem, and followed his advice. That would have been an improvement.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 06:29 AM   #334
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
The best part about the revelation of the pardon ask is that he denied asking for one to Politico.
I think the really best part of this leak and nearly all of the rest of the leaks is that they are coming from Republicans. There is no way a Democrat would have known about the pardon or the pictures he showed members.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 07:34 AM   #335
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Quote:
WaPo: Now, Gaetz is planning to take center stage later this week as a keynote speaker at a conservative women’s group’s conference at former president Donald Trump’s Miami golf course. Women for America First, a nonprofit organization of Trump loyalists, orchestrated and publicized a rally on Jan. 6 before the deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, and also led bus tours nationwide spreading unfounded claims of election fraud.

“We know firsthand what it is like to be treated unfairly by the main stream media,” Amy Kremer, the group’s chairwoman, said in a statement to The Washington Post that defended Gaetz as “innocent until proven guilty.”
"Guilty" is becoming a positive political statement under Trumpism. Best line of defense: "It hurt libdem voters".
Old 7th April 2021, 07:50 AM   #336
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's been pointed out many times before that when President Camacho was faced with a crisis, he found the smartest person in the country, assigned him to solve the problem, and followed his advice. That would have been an improvement.
Yeah, that’s Hollywood. In real life, idiots don’t listen to anyone
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 07:53 AM   #337
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Any idiot with any level of self awareness generally isn't that much of a problem.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 12:30 PM   #338
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
WaPo: Now, Gaetz is planning to take center stage later this week as a keynote speaker at a conservative women’s group’s conference at former president Donald Trump’s Miami golf course. Women for America First, a nonprofit organization of Trump loyalists, orchestrated and publicized a rally on Jan. 6 before the deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, and also led bus tours nationwide spreading unfounded claims of election fraud.

“We know firsthand what it is like to be treated unfairly by the main stream media,” Amy Kremer, the group’s chairwoman, said in a statement to The Washington Post that defended Gaetz as “innocent until proven guilty.”
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
"Guilty" is becoming a positive political statement under Trumpism. Best line of defense: "It hurt libdem voters".
Bear in mind that people have a tendency to vote for things against their own best interests: The National Association Opposed to Woman Suffrage, founded in 1911, by women and Phyllis Schlafly's anti-ERA movement to name but two.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 12:44 PM   #339
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I think you missed alfaniner's point. Look at the posts he is responding to... particularly the top one.
I'm good at missing the point, I'm told by ISF members I argue with . One in particular. I'll have another look.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:52 PM   #340
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's really hard to believe this anecdote. And even if true (because I can believe the cops would shoot anyone at the drop of a hat), who were these BLM people, how many of them, did they speak for the group???
The anecdote rang false with me because it's an example of piss-poor situational awareness. You can't see anybody and your arms are pinned. Someone would be able to snag the pistol before you could slide out from underneath the car. I don't want to believe gun fans are that stupid about carrying.

Re: Gaetz's attraction to teenagers, I can think of one aspect of the situation that might hurt the girls, even if they feel completely grown up. A 17-year-old might be inexperienced enough to misinterpret the reality, which is that 99 percent of the time, the man does not want you in spite of your age; he wants you because of your age. The risk titillates the older man and it has nothing to do with you personally. It's also not personal when he dumps you as soon as you turn 18.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 05:21 PM   #341
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
... I can think of one aspect of the situation that might hurt the girls, even if they feel completely grown up. A 17-year-old might be inexperienced enough to misinterpret the reality, which is that 99 percent of the time, the man does not want you in spite of your age; he wants you because of your age. The risk titillates the older man and it has nothing to do with you personally. It's also not personal when he dumps you as soon as you turn 18.
I was pretty woke at 17. I might have done a few stupid things but I was no longer under the control of my parents.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 09:01 PM   #342
portlandatheist
Illuminator

I know this article may seem like a stretch at first but it is a fantastic read.
The Bullwark: "Red Bull, Elon Musk, and Matt Gaetz"
Quote:
But the preponderance of evidence suggests that Republican voters don’t care about tangible government outcomes.
They don’t care whether or not a border wall is built, or who would have (theoretically) paid for it. They don’t care about whether or not the government fails to manage a global pandemic, killing hundreds of thousands of their fellow citizens. They don’t care if unemployment is up—or down. They don’t care about stimulus checks. Or the national debt.
It’s a little bit like—check that—it’s exactly like Red Bull.
Quote:
What they have, instead, is a lifestyle brand.
And if you want to move up the ladder within a brand network, you don’t do it by governing or making policy.
You do it by getting attention.
Quote:
His current—I’m not sure what we’re supposed to call this, maybe “predicament”?—isn’t a threat. It’s the best thing that could possibly have happened to him. Gaetz gets to fill the attention vacuum left by Trump’s exile. He gets to posture and preen. Everyone talks about him and the fact that Democrats hate him only makes him more attractive to Republican voters.
I love this article about what it says about Trump just as much as it says about Gaetz. They are not legislators or politicians but something else.
Their voters don't even care if they get ripped off or lied to in the process. The "capital" that Trump and Gaetz are negotiating, selling, and trading, isn't political capital but they are trading in the commodity of attention capital. In this regard, they are the most epic of winners, even if they accomplish nothing politically or financially and I am guilty of giving them far more attention(even now) than they have ever deserved in this regard. But this is what they are taking to the bank and what they value.
This is isn't entirely new and entirely a conservative problem. In a sense, this is what polical populism is to some extent. AOC for example is rated as 230th out of 240 democrats in terms of effectiveness, but "effectiveness", in terms of this definition, has never been her goal. According to this study, Rep. Ilhan Omar fared far better than AOC so I think this is more than saying "Idealogues don't get much done" which has truth to it but the bigger truth is that those trading in the attention economy, get even less done when it comes to legislation.
I hate Trump and Gaetz and have read over a dozen anti-Trump books during his tenure and there is a part of me that must feel like the donors sucked into repeat donations must feel when they didn't agree to repeat donations: a feeling that I've been suckered all along.
These ******** are not after my vote, or after my donation, or after legislation or agreement; what they are after is my attention. I would say the Portland rioters are a similar phenomenon but I'll save that for another thread.
Matt Gaetz is a worthless human being and a worthless politician but a winner in terms of the attention economy.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 07:01 AM   #343
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So Stubby McBonespurs has finally given a response about Gaetz...

Trump said Wednesday that embattled Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) “has never asked me for a pardon,"...Trump also stressed that Gaetz “has totally denied the accusations against him.”

(Trump might be hiding behind the idea that Gaetz didn't PERSONALLY didn't ask Trump for a pardon, rather than whether Gaetz may have asked others in the Trump administration for a pardon.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 07:05 AM   #344
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Gaetz already admitted to asking for a Pardon, though he claims he asked it for himself as well as everyone else who was pro-Trump.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 07:36 AM   #345
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Gee, it's almost as if one of them might be lying. I'm shocked.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 07:37 AM   #346
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Gee, it's almost as if one of them might be lying. I'm shocked.
No the shocking this is that one of them might be telling the truth.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 09:28 AM   #347
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Gaetz already admitted to asking for a Pardon, though he claims he asked it for himself as well as everyone else who was pro-Trump.
I suppose it's possible that Gaetz never even got far enough up the totem pole for Trump to even be aware. I imagine trying to solicit a pardon from Trump involves a lot of pleading to his lackeys, and only if you've greased the right palms or otherwise run the gauntlet do you even get to plead your case to Trump personally.

It's entirely possible Gaetz unsuccessfully sought a pardon and Trump never even knew about it.
Old 8th April 2021, 09:46 AM   #348
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I suppose it's possible that Gaetz never even got far enough up the totem pole for Trump to even be aware. I imagine trying to solicit a pardon from Trump involves a lot of pleading to his lackeys, and only if you've greased the right palms or otherwise run the gauntlet do you even get to plead your case to Trump personally.

It's entirely possible Gaetz unsuccessfully sought a pardon and Trump never even knew about it.
Both of them telling the truth, is that even possible?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 10:10 AM   #349
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Possible. Although Trump had a habit of answering phone calls from people that perhaps he shouldn't have (much to the annoyance of his office staff.) Plus, there is a video I have seen of Gaetz phoning Trump to tell him 'good job' over some speech he made, so it does look like Gaetz does have some sort of direct connection to Stubby McBonespurs.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 11:01 AM   #350
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Ahem ...

Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 11:09 AM   #351
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Both of them telling the truth, is that even possible?
Not without them erupting into flames.
Old 8th April 2021, 11:26 AM   #352
eerok
Quixoticist

It's possible Gaetz didn't specify his own wrongdoing when he advocated pardons for GOP crimes, just as he didn't specify his own wrongdoing when he voted against the anti-trafficking bill.

Last edited by eerok; 8th April 2021 at 11:27 AM.
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 12:42 PM   #353
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
(Trump might be hiding behind the idea that Gaetz didn't PERSONALLY didn't ask Trump for a pardon, rather than whether Gaetz may have asked others in the Trump administration for a pardon.)
Well. I’m of the opinion that when one repeatedly insists that one has never said things that were televised and recorded, then one never feels the need to play little word games.

I am of the opinion that if one frequently and emphatic ly denies saying things that were recorded and broadcast, then one never feels the need to play little word games.

And it has been speculated that № 45 has no concept of true and false.

№45. I like it.

Last edited by Ladewig; 8th April 2021 at 01:41 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 02:43 PM   #354
dirtywick
Illuminator

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...ecutors-480289

Guess we’ll find out what his buddy has to say soon
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 03:12 PM   #355
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...ecutors-480289

Guess we’ll find out what his buddy has to say soon
I suspect some beans may be spilling soon.
Old 8th April 2021, 06:07 PM   #356
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Gaetz’s office released a statement from the “women of Gaetz’s office” supporting him. Of course, nobody was named in the statement.

https://www.businessinsider.com/matt...ing-him-2021-4

They are also likely not 17 years old.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 07:54 PM   #357
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Is this a real billboard? Or is it some photoshop?
Old 8th April 2021, 07:55 PM   #358
eerok
Quixoticist

The plot thickens for Gaetz. What a shocker.

Joel Greenberg Is Poised to Plead Guilty. His Attorney Said Matt Gaetz Is Probably on Edge Right Now [lawandcrime.com]
Quote:
“If Greenberg is signing a cooperation agreement, it means he has information that can help the government prosecute other people,” said attorney Daniel Goldman, a former federal prosecutor who was counsel to the Democrats during one of the impeachment proceedings against Donald Trump. “Usually prosecutors don’t cooperate ‘down’ (ie prostitutes) but look to cooperate ‘up’ against bigger fish (ie Gaetz).”
Old 8th April 2021, 07:57 PM   #359
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Is this a real billboard? Or is it some photoshop?
Real.

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/story/n...ld/7138781002/

https://mobile.twitter.com/TrueFacts...ddogpac.com%2F

Last edited by jadebox; 8th April 2021 at 08:00 PM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 08:02 PM   #360
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Reality is giving Carl Hiaasen's imagination a run for it's money.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics