IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alexei Navalny , Russia incidents , Russia issues , Russia politics , vladimir putin

Old 21st August 2020, 01:58 PM   #41
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Shhh! I didn't expect you to, but there must be some people who think he'd turn down the opportunity to make himself and his pals another few hundred billion.
I'm somewhat morbidly impressed with how disciplined Putin is with keeping his true wealth (Bill Gates rich?) under wraps and how careful he is about showing off his accomplishments.

Natural sociopath refined by the KGB.....he's played his career almost perfectly.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 02:54 PM   #42
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

You lot would look a bit less pathetic if you would at least accept that Navalny isn't the "opposition leader" in Russia, not even one of those relevant. The by far largest opposition in Russia are the communists who have around 20% support. Navalny has perhaps more fans among "western" pre$$titutes than among Russians. He is as dangerous to Putin as John McAfee is to Trump.
Old 21st August 2020, 04:22 PM   #43
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
You lot would look a bit less pathetic if you would at least accept that Navalny isn't the "opposition leader" in Russia...
And you'd look a lot less like a strawman builder if you didn't use one poster and extrapolate it to "you lot".
Old 21st August 2020, 04:42 PM   #44
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

And you'd look a lot less like a strawman builder if you didn't use one poster and extrapolate it to "you lot".

That's not a strawman, your "discussion" was already evolving around the evil mastermind Putin who bites off the heads of his rivals, as always. Silly stuff.
Old 21st August 2020, 08:54 PM   #45
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That's not a strawman,...
Sorry to burst your bubble, but what you typed is the perfect iteration of a strawman.

... your "discussion" was already evolving around the evil mastermind Putin who bites off the heads of his rivals, as always. Silly stuff.
Yeah, he's a good guy who's just misunderstood, amirite?
Old 21st August 2020, 10:24 PM   #46
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Let me guess without reading the posts... CE is trying to sell the Russian registered "official opposition" parties as somehow not in Putin’s pocket?
Old 22nd August 2020, 03:31 AM   #47
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Let me guess without reading the posts... CE is trying to sell the Russian registered "official opposition" parties as somehow not in Putinís pocket?
The Communist Party isn't, but they're also highly irrelevant - like the Anglican Church, their numbers are dying off by degrees and they'll never appeal to young voters. Their share of the vote has collapsed by 2/3 in the past 25 years.

Suggesting the Communist Party is any kind of opposition is a joke, but it does show how awful Putin is that a significant number of people still think it's better than Putin's kleptocracy.
Old 23rd August 2020, 06:59 PM   #48
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Nice piece from Al Jazeera on people who vocally oppose Putin and their longevity prospects: https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...163134775.html
Old 26th August 2020, 05:02 AM   #49
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
The Communist Party isn't, but they're also highly irrelevant - like the Anglican Church, their numbers are dying off by degrees and they'll never appeal to young voters. Their share of the vote has collapsed by 2/3 in the past 25 years.

Suggesting the Communist Party is any kind of opposition is a joke, but it does show how awful Putin is that a significant number of people still think it's better than Putin's kleptocracy.
The Communist Party is part of the thoroughly-domesticated, Kremlin-approved opposition, that's why they survive and get to participate in elections. I suppose it's a matter of definition whether that counts as "being in Putin's pocket", but if the party rocks the boat, it will get thrown overboard - and the party knows this full well.

As for Navalny - yes, it was poison.
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:16 AM   #50
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

As for Navalny - yes, it was poison.
In fact, it was novichok.
Old 24th September 2020, 07:14 PM   #51
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
You assume he cares what will happen to Russia after his death.
For any dictator, naming a successor is dangerous, as the successor may get tired of waiting around for him to die and take steps to hasten the process. Even with kings, heirs didn't always let family ties keep them from doing so.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 02:59 AM   #52
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What a coincidence eh? You'd almost think someone was trying to scare people.
Old 25th September 2020, 03:35 AM   #53
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yeah, it's just coincidence that the favourite poison of the FSB is the one turning up in Putin's enemies.

Nice to see Navalny is ok, though.

The guy must have titanium balls the size of Venus - he reckons he's going back to Russia.
Old 29th September 2020, 06:57 PM   #54
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Rather than start another Russia/Putin thread, I'll just drop this gem in here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54338785
Old 1st October 2020, 06:32 AM   #55
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I find interesting similarity in Russia and China in that at lowest level (literally) elections are, in fact, free. Shenanigans start higher.
Old 1st October 2020, 06:40 AM   #56
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I find interesting similarity in Russia and China in that at lowest level (literally) elections are, in fact, free.
Not really. Honest in terms of vote-counts maybe, but when the powers-that-be can choose who they run against, elections are not free. I also have doubts about their honesty in places that matter, i.e. big cities.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:54 AM   #57
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Not really. Honest in terms of vote-counts maybe, but when the powers-that-be can choose who they run against, elections are not free. I also have doubts about their honesty in places that matter, i.e. big cities.
Yeah, I guess small village with less than three hundred souls can get away with electing anyone they like.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:43 AM   #58
RolandRat
Muse

Rather than start another Russia/Putin thread, I'll just drop this gem in here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54338785
"Then he added: "I don't think there's anything bad about her being in charge of the place she used to clean. It means she knows her way around.""
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 07:19 PM   #59
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
Irina Slavina earlier wrote on Facebook: "I ask you to blame the Russian Federation for my death."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54392005
Old 7th October 2020, 11:10 AM   #60
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Vlad having an excellent week.

He's watched with glee as USA crumbles under the absurdity of the orange fool, and now has a successful test of his hypersonic missile to go with it.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...rsonic-missile
Old 13th October 2020, 06:35 AM   #61
KayBur
Student

I agree. What is democracy in a country if election results are falsified over and over again? If the senile is reset to zero terms of the presidency. I have no idea how people survive there. I watched a video of what roads they have there and what a mess. Perhaps the video is exaggerated, but I was on a business trip in Eastern Europe, where everything is not as rosy as we would like.
KayBur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 12:30 PM   #62
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Here's a real will-he-or-won't-he dilemma for Vlad:

https://www.alternet.org/2020/10/the...clear-chicken/

Will he do something about it or not?

I doubt Biden's incoming administration will continue the insanity, so he might just be sitting back and waiting.
Old 13th October 2020, 01:34 PM   #63
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
I agree. What is democracy in a country if election results are falsified over and over again? If the senile is reset to zero terms of the presidency. I have no idea how people survive there. I watched a video of what roads they have there and what a mess. Perhaps the video is exaggerated, but I was on a business trip in Eastern Europe, where everything is not as rosy as we would like.

You understand that Russia is about twice the size of the US with less than half of the population? Pretty easy to find messy roads. Try an experiment and take a look with Google Maps/Earth at the roads at some random inner city places in Moscow and New York City. Report back.
Old 6th November 2020, 05:51 AM   #64
KDLarsen
Illuminator

I guess it's time for another round of 'Will he or wont he?'
Quote:
Russian lawmakers have introduced a bill to parliament that would give Vladimir Putin lifetime immunity from prosecution if and when he decides to leave office.

The draft bill would give a former president immunity from criminal prosecution for any offences committed during his lifetime. A supermajority of lawmakers would be required to revoke the protections. Currently, ex-presidents are protected for actions taken only while they were in office.

It is the second bill this week that provides special provisions for former presidents, prompting talk of whether Putin, 68, might be preparing for retirement.

On Saturday he sponsored legislation that would entitle a former president to a lifetime seat as a senator in Russia’s Federation Council, a position that also comes with immunity from prosecution.
The Guardian: Russian MPs consider lifetime immunity for former presidents
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2020, 06:56 AM   #65
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'd love to hear what the rationale for lifetime immunity is.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2020, 07:12 AM   #66
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Putin is so awesome at Judo that, completely innocently, he might seriously injure or kill someone just by being being in the same room as them.
It's not his fault for being that great, so an immunity is necessary,
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2020, 07:39 PM   #67
EHocking
Philosopher

Putin to quit due to Parkinsonís Disease

Or so a whole bunch of crappy tabloids worldwide are rumouring.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2020, 10:58 PM   #68
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Vladdy has racked up an impressive crime list before and during his presidency, and he intends to keep that up in retirement.

Unfortunately, banana republic laws aren't really worth the paper they're written on , so he better pick his successor carefully.
Old 7th November 2020, 01:51 PM   #69
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Vladdy has racked up an impressive crime list before and during his presidency, and he intends to keep that up in retirement.

Unfortunately, banana republic laws aren't really worth the paper they're written on , so he better pick his successor carefully.
It's all nonsense anyway. If Putin gives up power before he dies his successor will almost certainly novichok him. He knows that. This is just to make his enemies imagine he's actually considering stepping down at some point.
Old 17th January 2021, 03:37 PM   #70
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The answer to "Will Putin have Navalny arrested?" was answered in double time.

Arrested as soon as he got off the plane at Moscow.

I think the idea that Navalny is stark raving mad needs to be explored. It's all very well showing the world his cojones by returning, but he's messed with Vlad and I'd have him at very long odds to survive a prison term. I'd think Vlad would give an immediate pardon to anyone who killed Navalny wile inside.
Old 17th January 2021, 04:58 PM   #71
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I think the idea that Navalny is stark raving mad needs to be explored.

He waited exactly long enough to get into trouble again before he returned to Russia. See this announcement by the Moscow government from three days ago. Feed it into a translator and read it carefully. Maybe then you will finally realize that this clown with no actual following inside Russia has made a career out of creating events for the "western" media.
Old 17th January 2021, 05:44 PM   #72
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Maybe then you will finally realize that this clown with no actual following inside Russia has made a career out of creating events for the "western" media.
Ah now I see.

I presume he stole the Novichok to poison himself with. He should change his name to Baldrick with a cunning plan like that.
Old 18th January 2021, 06:56 AM   #73
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

So, what are the odds Navalny will accidentally fall from a fifth floor window in a hospital soon?

Seriously, why doesn't Putin just drop the pretense and crown himself Czar Vlad the Great?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:59 AM   #74
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Ah now I see.

I presume he stole the Novichok to poison himself with. He should change his name to Baldrick with a cunning plan like that.

I heard that Bellingcrap now "found out" that a team of 30 "KGB" specialists followed him around for years just to fail to kill him with the most deadliest nerve agent ever developed. A true ‹bermensch!

Seriously, read this and drop the crack pipe.
Old 18th January 2021, 11:26 AM   #75
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Seriously, read this and drop the crack pipe.
I'd rather take the word of Vladimir Uglyov.

But hey, don't let anything stand in the way of your love for Putin, so do carry on.
Old 18th January 2021, 11:44 AM   #76
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Defenestration is a know medical condition in Russia....
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 12:23 PM   #77
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Defenestration is a know medical condition in Russia....
And that's only the ones we know about, as are these people who have all been murdered after criticising Putin: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/her...VTPK2UU5SYN4A/

And as to the time factor, the Skripal poisoning took place 20 years after the affront to Vlad, and long after his release from jail.

Still, you have to say Trump was taught by a master - Putin has long known that if you tell a lie often enough, people will believe it, with nine times as many Russians believing UK intelligence carried out the poisonings than believe the FSB was repsonsible.
Old 18th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #78
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Skripal and his daughter are presumably still alive but hidden away by British "intelligence" (last rumour I've heard is that they are in New Zealand with a new identity). The poor fellow who died was Skripal's cat - but not of Novichok. Another fun recent article by John Helmer:

SKRIPAL’S CAT RALLIES RUSSIANS TO LAUGH AT ALEXEI NAVALNY

Originally Posted by John Helmer
[...] On October 2, 2018, Vzglyad introduced an author whose pen name was reported as Nesh Van Drake (Нэш Ван Дрейк). These words are meaningless in English except that, spelled in Cyrillic, the first of the words evokes the Russian word Nash (Наш) meaning “our”. This was also the name of the black cat (lead image, 3rd from left) which lived with Sergei Skripal in his Salisbury house, until Skripal was attacked on March 4, 2018, and the cat was then put to death by the British. “To alleviate its suffering” was the reason of state announced at the time.

“Skripal’s cat” (Кот Скрипаля) is also the name on the byline for seventeen articles Vzglyad has published by this creature over the past two years. The other names are meant to sound both Dutch and English; to some ears they may be a reminder of Rip Van Winkle. He was the Dutch-American character invented by Washington Irving in a story he published in 1819. In that tale, van Winkle drinks a mystery liquor given to him by Dutchmen, causing him to fall asleep. When he wakes up again, it is twenty years later, and the American revolution has passed. Van Winkle’s first name is the abbreviation for Rest in Peace; Irving’s tale makes fun of people who have made themselves obsolete.

In his debut, Skripal’s Cat explained that the first Novichok affair was a case of a Russian attempt at rescuing their triple agent Sergei Skripal from the clutches of MI6 who succeeded at foiling the exfiltration; failed at the poisoning itself; and made clumsy mistakes in their cover-up. “While our doves of peace flew over the seas, over the valleys, carrying a message from Skripal,” the Cat aka Nesh van Drake wrote, “Skripal himself struggled with a pathetic semblance of Novichok in his blood. But because Russian blood is stronger than not only Goethe’s Faust, but also English chemical craftsmanship, our colonel remained alive… Now I am seriously considering plans to write a report for the GRU on how the British evolved from James Bond to Johnny English.” [...]
Old 21st January 2021, 05:41 AM   #79
Garrison
Philosopher

Skripal and his daughter are presumably still alive but hidden away by British "intelligence" (last rumour I've heard is that they are in New Zealand with a new identity). The poor fellow who died was Skripal's cat - but not of Novichok. Another fun recent article by John Helmer:

SKRIPALíS CAT RALLIES RUSSIANS TO LAUGH AT ALEXEI NAVALNY
Look I get it, your handler in Moscow will get mad if you don't keep up your word count, but you have never and will never convince anyone of the validity of your Putin propaganda drivel. Being generous and assuming you are sincere rather than merely trolling you doubtless see yourself as some crusader for the truth, while everyone else simply sees you as a random loony standing on a street corner yelling about Repitilians.
Old 21st January 2021, 01:26 PM   #80
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Look I get it, your handler in Moscow will get mad if you don't keep up your word count, but you have never and will never convince anyone of the validity of your Putin propaganda drivel. Being generous and assuming you are sincere rather than merely trolling you doubtless see yourself as some crusader for the truth, while everyone else simply sees you as a random loony standing on a street corner yelling about Repitilians.

Extra points on the "oh I don't care but I must must must tell you how much I don't care" scale for "Repitilians", buddy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics