IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ghislaine Maxwell , Jeffrey Epstein , sex trafficking

Old 31st July 2020, 09:26 AM   #121
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That was a conclusion that made the rounds on Twitter.
... that made the rounds on some necessarily limited subset of Twitter that you happened to notice.

It's not like a few tweets in a few feeds means a quorum of knowledgeable people reached an informed consensus after sober deliberation.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:41 AM   #122
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is applying too much credit to his ability to rationally think about something. She is part of "his" social circle, therefore she is a good person regardless of anything else.
You might very well be correct! “One of us.” Also there is nothing in Trump’s history or behavior that indicates he has any sense of morality at all.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 12:39 PM   #123
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I figure wishing her well is the kind of non-specific thing one does when one has dementia and can't remember who is who.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 12:43 PM   #124
marting
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I figure wishing her well is the kind of non-specific thing one does when one has dementia and can't remember who is who.
Trump absolutely knows who she is. Watching him introducing people he seems to have minimal issues with names/faces. He's a salesman and those are fundamental skills. Too bad more of his cognition isn't as functional.
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:52 PM   #125
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Trump absolutely knows who she is. Watching him introducing people he seems to have minimal issues with names/faces. He's a salesman and those are fundamental skills. Too bad more of his cognition isn't as functional.
He knows the names and faces of the people who are useful to him. If you're not, he couldn't care less who you are.
Old 5th August 2020, 11:22 AM   #126
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Jonathan Swan: "Mr. President, Ghislaine Maxwell has been arrested on allegations of child-sex trafficking."
Trump: "You don't know that."

Linky.

Also, I've only just learned how to pronounce "Ghislaine". But I think I'll continue to mentally pronounce it with a soft G and the S.
Old 5th August 2020, 01:25 PM   #127
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Jonathan Swan: "Mr. President, Ghislaine Maxwell has been arrested on allegations of child-sex trafficking."
Trump: "You don't know that."

Linky.

Also, I've only just learned how to pronounce "Ghislaine". But I think I'll continue to mentally pronounce it with a soft G and the S.
That's some of the most insane nonsense I have ever heard. (The Link. Not your pronunciation of "Ghislaine")

I can't wait for Fox News to explain. (The Link. Not your pronunciation of "Ghislaine")

PS - as someone who grew up in Quebec, I know how to pronounce "Ghislaine".
Old 5th August 2020, 01:45 PM   #128
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
... that made the rounds on some necessarily limited subset of Twitter that you happened to notice.

It's not like a few tweets in a few feeds means a quorum of knowledgeable people reached an informed consensus after sober deliberation.
I didn't say it was trending. I said the idea was expressed there.

Sheesh. Talk about knee-jerk contrarianism.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 07:23 AM   #129
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't say it was trending. I said the idea was expressed there.

Sheesh. Talk about knee-jerk contrarianism.
My bad. I was being unnecessarily cranky. I apologize.

I should have simply asked, what significance to you attach to the fact that the idea was expressed on Twitter?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 07:59 AM   #130
Belz...
Fiend God

My bad. I was being unnecessarily cranky. I apologize.

I should have simply asked, what significance to you attach to the fact that the idea was expressed on Twitter?
None. I was just saying that I had seen the idea expressed before.

Like when I say something that someone else came up with, I'll usually make it clear so as not to take credit for it, etc.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 03:11 PM   #131
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
PS - as someone who grew up in Quebec, I know how to pronounce ....
The above sentence, no matter what word comes at the end, is just unlikely to be true.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 03:17 PM   #132
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The above sentence, no matter what word comes at the end, is just unlikely to be true.
Hey!

Old 11th August 2020, 08:06 AM   #133
carlitos
"más divertido"

Her attorneys are still trying to keep documents from being released. [cnn].

Quote:
(CNN)Attorneys for Ghislaine Maxwell, the alleged accomplice of accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, said in a court filing Monday that they've learned of "critical new information" that impacts her criminal case and a civil case where dozens of documents are expected to be unsealed.

Her attorneys have asked that the documents, including depositions, remain sealed for three weeks as they work with prosecutors to see if they can share information with the court.

The filing did not provide details about the new information, saying that Maxwell's attorneys aren't at liberty to disclose it because it's subject to a court protective order in the criminal case.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 09:00 AM   #134
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's reasonable to me that her attorneys would try to do this.

And the reason they give for trying to do this also seems reasonable to me. In fact I'm not sure I'd want it any other way, regardless of who stood accused, or what they stood accused of.
Old 11th August 2020, 09:38 AM   #135
carlitos
"más divertido"

It could be reasonable. If the "critical new information" turns out not to be, I don't see the judge tolerating this for long. They have thrown everything at the wall to try and suppress this info being released.
Old 11th August 2020, 11:54 AM   #136
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Hey!
Eh?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"REAL" French.
Old 11th August 2020, 12:01 PM   #137
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It could be reasonable. If the "critical new information" turns out not to be, I don't see the judge tolerating this for long. They have thrown everything at the wall to try and suppress this info being released.
Again, that seems reasonable to me. It is the duty of the defense attorney to consider every legal gambit that might possibly help their client, and throw as many such gambits at the wall as they think are worth trying. Obviously the judge is going to shoot some of them down, and sanction the attorneys if they get carried away, but that's part of the process. I think society enjoys a net benefit from having both parts of this process.
Old 11th August 2020, 12:13 PM   #138
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Eh?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"REAL" French.
"How to say Ghislaine".

From where I come from, you have to add at the very least a "s'tie" at the end. Possibly a "tabarnaque", but that's for real emphasis.

Old 11th August 2020, 12:17 PM   #139
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"giz-LANE", with a hard 'g', obvs.
Old 11th August 2020, 02:36 PM   #140
carlitos
"más divertido"

"How to say Ghislaine".

From where I come from, you have to add at the very least a "s'tie" at the end. Possibly a "tabarnaque", but that's for real emphasis.
Ghislaine, rhymes with vilaine. Where you come from, 450? Tabnernac, hold my beer, eh.
Old 11th August 2020, 02:44 PM   #141
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

While I don't dispute the general issue of getting names right, I think at this point if Ms. Maxwell is not referred to with an obscene expletive or a soft-g play on her name's first syllable, she's probably getting better than she deserves.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 02:57 PM   #142
Belz...
Fiend God

Ghislaine, rhymes with vilaine. Where you come from, 450? Tabnernac, hold my beer, eh.
Voyons, siboire, c'est quoi ton problème, p'tit père?

Old 13th August 2020, 07:52 AM   #143
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
And she's off Suicide Watch...

https://popculture.com/trending/news...suicide-watch/

Wasn't that about the time Jeffrey "Hung himself" too?
Old 13th August 2020, 07:53 AM   #144
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I'll remind you that the scare quotes stem from speculation and nothing else.

Old 13th August 2020, 08:16 AM   #145
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
And she's off Suicide Watch...

https://popculture.com/trending/news...suicide-watch/

Epstein was hung.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 08:23 AM   #146
carlitos
"más divertido"

It’s easy to seem that way when you’re schtupping little girls I guess.
Old 13th August 2020, 04:12 PM   #147
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I'll remind you that the scare quotes stem from speculation and nothing else.
I was and am fully aware of that and only used them for, "Dramatic Effect", bum bum bummmmm!
Old 13th August 2020, 04:30 PM   #148
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Epstein was hung.
By who? Trump's thugs?

You simply don't know that.

Old 13th August 2020, 04:42 PM   #149
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

By who? Trump's thugs?

Perhaps shuttit was suggesting that Epstein was hung by nature...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 04:42 PM   #150
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shuttlt
Epstein was hung.
By who? Trump's thugs?

shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 04:46 PM   #151
Belz...
Fiend God

Sorry, English is my second language and I often miss that distinction.

Old 13th August 2020, 05:42 PM   #152
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Epstein was hung.
There's a sick joke about undersized partners in there somewhere, but I'm not searching any further.
Old 13th August 2020, 05:58 PM   #153
shuttlt
Philosopher

Sorry, English is my second language and I often miss that distinction.
No worries, and apologies. To be honest it's this cartoon stops me screwing it up.
Old 13th August 2020, 06:51 PM   #154
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

There's a sick joke about undersized partners in there somewhere, but I'm not searching any further.
This?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hang.jpg (116.0 KB, 8 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 07:12 PM   #155
carlitos
"más divertido"

This is the 3rd or 4th time today that I’m thinking my posts might just be invisible.
Old 13th August 2020, 07:28 PM   #156
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This is the 3rd or 4th time today that I’m thinking my posts might just be invisible.
Oh ******

You're absolutely right. I'm so sorry.
Old 13th August 2020, 08:16 PM   #157
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I can't say with certainty what Trump was thinking or meaning to convey.

But I figure being clear that child-trafficking is a bad thing should not be a difficult task for a president.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2020, 06:37 AM   #158
carlitos
"más divertido"

If anyone is interested in the hype around child trafficking, there are a couple of great episodes on this subject at the “you’re wrong about” podcast.

Nov 25, 2019 “human trafficking”

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000465289965

Aug 10, 2020 “wayfair and human trafficking statistics”

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000487756926

Short version - the statistics about “child trafficking rings” are mostly crap and overblown alarmism, akin to the satanic panic nonsense of the 1980’s.
Old 14th August 2020, 06:38 AM   #159
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
This?
A bit off topic of course, but what's the source of the difference? To an untrained observer one would think that "hung" would definitely be the past participle form of "to hang".

Old 14th August 2020, 06:59 AM   #160
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

A bit off topic of course, but what's the source of the difference? To an untrained observer one would think that "hung" would definitely be the past participle form of "to hang".
It is. Any object which you hang has been hung *except* a person who had been executed by hanging; they have been hanged. And I've never known why, but that's what the teacher said.

I remain curious to know if there's any interesting reason for the convention.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors