IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ghislaine Maxwell , Jeffrey Epstein , sex trafficking

Old 3rd April 2021, 02:28 AM   #281
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What has this got to do with the non-white collar crimes that Maxwell is on trial for?
From Google search:

There are many types of white collar crimes, but the following are the most common:
Corporate Fraud. ...
Embezzlement. ...
Ponzi Schemes. ...
Extortion. ...
Bankruptcy Fraud.

I would say Epstein and Maxwell getting each victim to recruit more was a kind of sex Ponzi scheme and I am fairly sure there is blackmail and extortion involved based on a whole collection of video tape and camera equipment found at Epstein premises, largely removed before the FBI arrived. Where Epstein got his $500,000,000 in assets on his death from, given he was just a poor boy from Brooklyn, with faked qualifications as a maths teacher, is also rather an interesting question.

The fact that some of the girls were underage seems to be the 'Al Capone' excuse the FBI have to arrest her because the main complainants are virtually all in their twenties.

You carry on believing this is just a simple case of underage sex from about twelve years ago and that Maxwell is just a common street criminal.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:44 AM   #282
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The fact that some of the girls were underage seems to be the 'Al Capone' excuse the FBI have to arrest her because the main complainants are virtually all in their twenties.

You carry on believing this is just a simple case of underage sex from about twelve years ago and that Maxwell is just a common street criminal.
You really don't get it do you?

These girls were victims of multiple sexual predators - preyed upon by people who paid two more sexual predators (Epstein and Maxwell) for the opportunity to rape under-aged girls.... yes, under-aged girls cannot legally consent to sex with an adult, so they were raped.

If she is found guilty, I hope they lock her up for a very long time!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 03:00 AM   #283
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You really don't get it do you?

These girls were victims of multiple sexual predators - preyed upon by people who paid two more sexual predators (Epstein and Maxwell) for the opportunity to rape under-aged girls.... yes, under-aged girls cannot legally consent to sex with an adult, so they were raped.

If she is found guilty, I hope they lock her up for a very long time!
Look, I have no wish to downplay Maxwell's appalling alleged crimes, which of course, are wicked, evil and deceitful. However, there is nothing to be gained by adding layers of 'appealing to the emotions' to it by calling it 'paedophilia' and 'child sex trafficking', conjuring up, as it does, visions of genuinely prepubescent children snatched off the street against their will, never to be seen again, and kept in captivity to be brought out whenever there was a party. Fact is, almost all of them were consenting adults, who turned up to these events and travelled on the so-called 'Lolita Express' quite voluntarily and returned home afterwards, yet they came back again and again, presumably for the money and gifts. Guiffre admits to recruiting about two hundred girls herself. Quit with this 'child kidnapping' stuff. It is bad enough as it is.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 03:30 AM   #284
Samson
Philosopher

Clearly Vixen is bringing far more to this thread than the aging moralists from the New world(s)._
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 06:39 AM   #285
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

From Google search:

There are many types of white collar crimes, but the following are the most common:
Corporate Fraud. ...
Embezzlement. ...
Ponzi Schemes. ...
Extortion. ...
Bankruptcy Fraud.

I would say Epstein and Maxwell getting each victim to recruit more was a kind of sex Ponzi scheme and I am fairly sure there is blackmail and extortion involved based on a whole collection of video tape and camera equipment found at Epstein premises, largely removed before the FBI arrived. Where Epstein got his $500,000,000 in assets on his death from, given he was just a poor boy from Brooklyn, with faked qualifications as a maths teacher, is also rather an interesting question.

You seem to be implying that the added complexity and financial overlay to the sex crimes is a mitigating, rather than an aggravating, factor. I don't somehow think that's what you mean, but you seem to imply that because most of Maxwell's crimes were "white collar," it changes the collar color of all of them. It's true enough, I think, that Maxwell was more than a common street criminal, but that added dimension doesn't somehow transform what she's said to have done. Pointing out that she was also a blackmailing fraud does not transform her other crimes. I think you need to beware of a "sorites" fallacy here (if you take grains of sand off a pile, when does it stop being a pile, etc.). Pointing out that not all of her victims were legally children, and that they were children largely by legal definition, does not somehow mean that they weren't.

I sort of get what you're saying, but I am not sure why an "Al Capone" prosecution is not a pretty good idea here. It's true that Capone was guilty of far more than he was charged with, but the charge that got him was not made up.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:05 AM   #286
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

I would say Epstein and Maxwell getting each victim to recruit more was a kind of sex Ponzi scheme

Wow. "A kind of sex Ponzi scheme". So it was all just financial embezzlement? I'm guessing that the girls - many (or, quite probably, most) of whom were minors at the time - were either some sort of collateral or some form of "bait"?

Quote:

Wow (I can't even figure out a way to address this bit).

Quote:

Oh it was far, far more than "just a simple case of underage sex". And Maxwell is none of those things. Right now. But if/when she's convicted, she'll be convicted as one of the more vile and extreme offenders of recent years in the USA.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:17 AM   #287
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I sort of get what you're saying, but I am not sure why an "Al Capone" prosecution is not a pretty good idea here. It's true that Capone was guilty of far more than he was charged with, but the charge that got him was not made up.

The main reason why Capone was remembered for being brought down on tax evasion charges - rather than anything concerned with his widespread (and far more serious) mob-related activities - was that tax evasion was the only charge the State knew it could prove in court.

Mob bosses have always been notoriously difficult to prosecute, owing to the *reluctance* to testify on the part of anyone who knew anything about the mob-related crimes. By contrast, it's relatively easy to look at the business activities of a person, compare it with their tax filings, and determine whether or not they've paid enough tax.

But in any case, to imply (as Vixen did) that it's somehow unfair of the federal authorities to focus upon the underage victims in the Maxwell case... is a pretty breathtaking reach.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:24 AM   #288
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Reprehensible - you're stating a position that amounts to apologism for statutory rape... even if that is not what you meant
Vile as statutory rape is, that qualifier looks to be unnecessary, given the (on the face of it plausible) threats of violence.

And yes, I am prejudging the case, because there's enough evidence in the public domain to be sure she is guilty of the child sex trafficking.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:40 AM   #289
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Vile as statutory rape is, that qualifier looks to be unnecessary, given the (on the face of it plausible) threats of violence.

And yes, I am prejudging the case, because there's enough evidence in the public domain to be sure she is guilty of the child sex trafficking.

Many of the victims report that they were actually, forcibly raped, nothing "statutory" about it. If that happened once, and Maxwell had anything to do with it, all this mindless chatter about "mature" 14-year-olds goes out the window.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...i-was-n1028011
https://www.foxnews.com/us/ghislaine...y-evil-epstein
https://nypost.com/2021/03/30/epstei...wsuit-alleges/
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...lorida-lawsuit

Last edited by Bob001; 3rd April 2021 at 10:47 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:03 AM   #290
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Many of the victims report that they were actually, forcibly raped, nothing "statutory" about it. If that happened once, and Maxwell had anything to do with it, all this mindless chatter about "mature" 14-year-olds goes out the window.
If only Vixen had bothered to read such articles she wouldn't be assaulting our sensibilities with bilge about 'white collar crimes' and 'sex ponzi schemes'.
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:06 AM   #291
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Clearly Vixen is bringing far more to this thread than the aging moralists from the New world(s)._
Yeah, we get it. You're clearly very comfortable with the idea that girls as young as 14 have been traded to old men for sex.

I think you're probably taken in by Maxwell's good looks and charm, but under that attractive appearance lurks a thoroughly nasty piece of work.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd April 2021 at 11:20 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:31 AM   #292
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You have to remember that attorney for the victims, Brad Edwards, did his own gumshoe work and it is thanks to his efforts (see his book) that a case that was seemingly closed as per Acosta, who granted Epstein a house arrest type sentence for a short period and 'indemnity' for anyone connected with what he was charged with (this included Maxwell, whom one of Edwards' clients, Virginia Guiffre/née Roberts successfully sued for defamation by calling her a 'liar') . Once Epstein was brought back to court, this time via New York, Edwards et al was able to unseal Maxwell's depositions re the Guiffre lawsuit and charge her for perjury and reinstate the same charges that Acosta had tried to bury. In some respects, Maxwell's lawyer is right that Maxwell is being pursued in place of Epstein who 'got away', as it were, as Maxwell split from Epstein way back when.

She is a glorified Madam in respect of Epstein's thriving prostitution ring. Yes, on paper she sexually assaulted some of these girls and should be rightly convicted if true.

Nonetheless, let's not take our eyes of the fact that it was Edwards who carried out a massive PR campaign on Guiffre and four or five others - including a Netflix documentary and a book - appealing for other 'victims' to come forward. Well, if you were once giving Epstein and his chums <ahem!> massages at $200 a go and attended the various alleged orgies, of course you'll come forward, knowing there is a huge pot of money available in compensation from the late Epstein's pot and Maxwell is swimming in huge sums of money as well.

Old 3rd April 2021, 11:33 AM   #293
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, on paper she sexually assaulted some of these girls and should be rightly convicted if true.
ON PAPER!!!?
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:34 AM   #294
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

ON PAPER!!!?
The trial is not until July, so it is 'on paper' until then, even if you think you know all about the case from Netflix.

Old 3rd April 2021, 11:38 AM   #295
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The trial is not until July, so it is 'on paper' until then, even if you think you know all about the case from Netflix.
Right. You don't understand what the idiom, "on paper" actually means.

"On paper" means in theory but not in reality. By using it the way you did, you inferred Maxwell didn't really do anything wrong.

Nonetheless, let's not take our eyes of the fact that it was Edwards who carried out a massive PR campaign on Guiffre and four or five others - including a Netflix documentary and a book - appealing for other 'victims' to come forward. Well, if you were once giving Epstein and his chums <ahem!> massages at $200 a go and attended the various alleged orgies, of course you'll come forward, knowing there is a huge pot of money available in compensation from the late Epstein's pot and Maxwell is swimming in huge sums of money as well.
So, you think rape victims are motivated to come forward by money

"A woman who claims Ghislaine Maxwell raped her dozens of times – beginning when she was just 14 years old – says she is willing to take the stand and testify against Jeffrey Epstein’s ex-girlfriend. In an exclusive interview with Fox News, Jane Doe, who wishes to protect her identity, said Maxwell sexually abused her beginning in 1991 in Florida. She said the abuse continued until she was 16.

Maxwell was arrested Thursday on federal charges for facilitating and participating in sexual abuse acts with minors,

“She did rape me. I would say it’s more than 20 or 30 times,” she said. “She is just as evil as Jeffrey Epstein … She is a rapist.”

Jane Doe claims years of sexual abuse came to an end only after she became pregnant with Jeffrey Epstein’s baby. At age 16, she had an abortion.
A virgin and a child at the time, Doe explained, Maxwell would use toys and penetrate her with her fingers.

“When this started, she told me that Epstein was getting upset because I kept bleeding, and that she was helping so that it wouldn’t hurt so much because it should be satisfying.”

And you think these girls just made up stories for money

https://www.foxnews.com/media/jeffre...axwell-arreset
The attorney for Jeffrey Epstein accuser Jennifer Araoz told "The Story" Thursday that his client is relieved at the arrest of former Epstein girlfriend and longtime Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell, who the attorney described as the "ringmaster" of Epstein's child sex ring.

"Ghislane Maxwell is a monster and she's now in custody. And that's a very good thing," Daniel Kaiser told host Martha MacCallum." "My client, Jennifer, is relieved -- as [are], I'm sure, all the victims of of Jeffrey Epstein and Ms. Maxwell.

"Ms. Maxwell was the ringmaster, she was the architect of Jeffrey Epstein's sex ring," Kaiser went on. "She hid it. She maintained it. If not for her, the ring wouldn't have persisted for as long as it did and it would not have victimized as many people as it did, as many young girls, including my client."

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd April 2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:52 AM   #296
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Right. You don't understand what the idiom, "on paper" actually means.

"On paper" means in theory but not in reality. By using it the way you did, you inferred Maxwell didn't really do anything wrong.

So, you think rape victims are motivated to come forward by money

"A woman who claims Ghislaine Maxwell raped her dozens of times – beginning when she was just 14 years old – says she is willing to take the stand and testify against Jeffrey Epstein’s ex-girlfriend. In an exclusive interview with Fox News, Jane Doe, who wishes to protect her identity, said Maxwell sexually abused her beginning in 1991 in Florida. She said the abuse continued until she was 16.

Maxwell was arrested Thursday on federal charges for facilitating and participating in sexual abuse acts with minors,

“She did rape me. I would say it’s more than 20 or 30 times,” she said. “She is just as evil as Jeffrey Epstein … She is a rapist.”

Jane Doe claims years of sexual abuse came to an end only after she became pregnant with Jeffrey Epstein’s baby. At age 16, she had an abortion.

A virgin and a child at the time, Doe explained, Maxwell would use toys and penetrate her with her fingers.

“When this started, she told me that Epstein was getting upset because I kept bleeding, and that she was helping so that it wouldn’t hurt so much because it should be satisfying.”

And you think these girls just made up stories for money

The attorney for Jeffrey Epstein accuser Jennifer Araoz told "The Story" Thursday that his client is relieved at the arrest of former Epstein girlfriend and longtime Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell, who the attorney described as the "ringmaster" of Epstein's child sex ring.

"Ghislane Maxwell is a monster and she's now in custody. And that's a very good thing," Daniel Kaiser told host Martha MacCallum." "My client, Jennifer, is relieved -- as [are], I'm sure, all the victims of of Jeffrey Epstein and Ms. Maxwell.

"Ms. Maxwell was the ringmaster, she was the architect of Jeffrey Epstein's sex ring," Kaiser went on. "She hid it. She maintained it. If not for her, the ring wouldn't have persisted for as long as it did and it would not have victimized as many people as it did, as many young girls, including my client."

Believe it or not, I am actually on Virginia Guiffre's side. However, I do like to get to the truth of a matter and not just get swayed by salacious sensationalism. Fairness and objectivity is the name of the game.

Anyway, Maxwell is due to be arrainged 16 April and will appear in person

Quote:
US District Judge Alison Nathan tentatively scheduled Maxwell’s arraignment for April 16. “As requested by the defendant, the proceeding will take place in person,” the judge wrote in her order.

The teen girl alleges that Maxwell recruited her to give Epstein nude “sexualized massages” at his Palm Beach mansion from 2001 to 2004.

The jailed daughter of late media tycoon Robert Maxwell is now charged with eight counts related to the allegations of four then-underage victims who say she recruited them to be sexually abused by Epstein.
NY Post

Old 3rd April 2021, 12:16 PM   #297
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Believe it or not, I am actually on Virginia Guiffre's side.
But not enough to actually spell her name right.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 12:52 PM   #298
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
But not enough to actually spell her name right.
Well done! You spotted a spelling mistake!

ETA: Her correct name is Giuffre.

Last edited by Vixen; 3rd April 2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:09 PM   #299
Samson
Philosopher

Yeah, we get it. You're clearly very comfortable with the idea that girls as young as 14 have been traded to old men for sex.

I think you're probably taken in by Maxwell's good looks and charm, but under that attractive appearance lurks a thoroughly nasty piece of work.
I have reached the uncomfortable position of not being comfortable with anything the biological mass of human beings does in this world.
That includes Maxwell, judges, politicians and hypocrites.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:27 PM   #300
carlitos
"más divertido"

We can add Ponzi Scrme to the long list of misused terms here.

The only way that term would be analogous to this case would be if each man were promised multiple girls and then Maxwell was paying the longer-standing clients with new recruits brought by the newest men that just joined the scheme. It makes no sense.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:30 PM   #301
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't believe it, Vixen.

"Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist."

-George Orwell
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:19 PM   #302
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
We can add Ponzi Scrme to the long list of misused terms here.

The only way that term would be analogous to this case would be if each man were promised multiple girls and then Maxwell was paying the longer-standing clients with new recruits brought by the newest men that just joined the scheme. It makes no sense.
Think of a triangle. Epstein/Maxwell at the top, Maxwell's recruits next. Each of these recruits recruits their friends/their friends recruit their friends, and so on. Soon, Epstein and Maxwell were throwing the most sought after parties and dinners amongst the 'in-crowd', as word gets around, raking in Clinton and even Prince Charles and Prince Andrew (both of whom are listed in Epsteins 'little black book').

Not much different from how Madoff recruited 'investors'.

Old 3rd April 2021, 10:43 PM   #303
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Think of a triangle. Epstein/Maxwell at the top, Maxwell's recruits next. Each of these recruits recruits their friends/their friends recruit their friends, and so on. Soon, Epstein and Maxwell were throwing the most sought after parties and dinners amongst the 'in-crowd', as word gets around, raking in Clinton and even Prince Charles and Prince Andrew (both of whom are listed in Epsteins 'little black book').

Not much different from how Madoff recruited 'investors'.
You're not describing a Ponzi scheme, you're describing Pyramid selling...

....and before you ask, no, they are not the same thing.

https://constantinecannon.com/practi...ponzi-schemes/
Old 4th April 2021, 02:32 AM   #304
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

No, she implied. You inferred.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2021, 03:07 AM   #305
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
No, she implied. You inferred.
Of course!
Old 4th April 2021, 04:56 AM   #306
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't know why you're struggling with words and objective reality so much.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 02:16 AM   #307
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I don't know why you're struggling with words and objective reality so much.
You are out of touch with objective reality if you believe Maxwell has been convicted of sexual assault or of anything.

Old 5th April 2021, 02:23 AM   #308
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You are out of touch with objective reality if you believe Maxwell has been convicted of sexual assault or of anything.
I’m sure everyone in this thread would agree with you, but of course your post has nothing to do with the mistake you made.
Old 5th April 2021, 02:41 AM   #309
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

You're not describing a Ponzi scheme, you're describing Pyramid selling...

....and before you ask, no, they are not the same thing.

https://constantinecannon.com/practi...ponzi-schemes/
Erm, you do know what an analogy is?

Old 5th April 2021, 02:44 AM   #310
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I’m sure everyone in this thread would agree with you, but of course your post has nothing to do with the mistake you made.
In which way is Maxwell's alleged sexual assault not on paper? A trial consists of hearing both sides of the evidence. You haven't heard her side yet. It's one thing claiming to be a victim of a sexual predator but quite another proving it in court.

Old 5th April 2021, 02:51 AM   #311
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

In which way is Maxwell's alleged sexual assault not on paper? A trial consists of hearing both sides of the evidence. You haven't heard her side yet. It's one thing claiming to be a victim of a sexual predator but quite another proving it in court.
And?
Old 5th April 2021, 02:56 AM   #312
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

And?
Smart Cooky saying he hopes Maxwell goes away a long time is rather prejudging the situation, right?

Sure, Bradley Edwards for the victims has done a magnificent job in bringing Maxwell to justice on behalf of his clients. If you know anything about court cases, one thing judges hate, is when one party or other goes on a huge media campaign outside of the trial itself to present its case to the public as being the correct one.

Old 5th April 2021, 03:19 AM   #313
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
That needs some explanation before I would agree it's accurate. It would appear to be the exact opposite of accurate.

Are you trying to say that those sentences would be the "analog" rather than the "equivalent"? Is this a correct paraphrase of what you are trying to say: In Europe a person would face 15-20 years for a crime that would get life or death in the US?
No what i meant was that internationally a sentence of 15-20 years is the same length as what a "life sentence" would at minimum entail. With that said it's certainly the case that prison sentences in the US are often significantly harsher than in other developed western countries.

The US only recently restricted the death penalty to murder whereas it has been abolished in all of Europe except the post-soviet dictatorship of Belarus.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 03:40 AM   #314
Belz...
Fiend God

I would if I did, but I don't.

You do understand that her guilt is not dependant on conviction, right? I mean, the odds of her being innocent, given what we know, are pretty slim.

I don't understand why you think she's innocent. Perhaps you're just being contrarian, or habitually wrong. I don't know. But the post I quoted here is completely out of bounds. Why did you even make it, since it doesn't have anything to do with what I said?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 03:42 AM   #315
Belz...
Fiend God

Erm, you do know what an analogy is?
Yes, and that's not what you were doing. In response to a post correcting you on what a Ponzi scheme is, you replied with a post about a pyramid-shaped scheme, as if that somehow make sthe connection between the two.

Pyramid schemes are not the same as Ponzi schemes, and neither have anything to do with the topic of the thread.

Old 5th April 2021, 05:48 AM   #316
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Smart Cooky saying he hopes Maxwell goes away a long time is rather prejudging the situation, right?

Sure, Bradley Edwards for the victims has done a magnificent job in bringing Maxwell to justice on behalf of his clients. If you know anything about court cases, one thing judges hate, is when one party or other goes on a huge media campaign outside of the trial itself to present its case to the public as being the correct one.
Belz... has it right

You do understand that her guilt is not dependant on conviction, right? I mean, the odds of her being innocent, given what we know, are pretty slim

I don't understand why you think she's innocent. Perhaps you're just being contrarian, or habitually wrong. I don't know. But the post I quoted here is completely out of bounds. Why did you even make it, since it doesn't have anything to do with what I said?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 12:17 PM   #317
Samson
Philosopher

I thought the debate was not about whether she committed a crime in the USA, but rather that a sentence of 35 years would be manifestly excessive for behaviour which might be close to legal in parts of Europe such as Italy, where age of consent is 12.
If on the other hand she is guilty of sexually assaulting these girls that raises the stakes.
Old 5th April 2021, 01:49 PM   #318
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Smart Cooky saying he hopes Maxwell goes away a long time is rather prejudging the situation, right?.
Wrong.

Just stop ******* deliberately misquoting and lying about what other posters say!! Stop it!!!!

Go back and READ where you got that from.... and be sure to read and understand the last line.... ALL of the last line!!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8#post13443588

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th April 2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 5th April 2021, 02:55 PM   #319
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, and that's not what you were doing. In response to a post correcting you on what a Ponzi scheme is, you replied with a post about a pyramid-shaped scheme, as if that somehow make sthe connection between the two.

Pyramid schemes are not the same as Ponzi schemes, and neither have anything to do with the topic of the thread.
Stop talking nonsense. I did not refer to pyramid selling, I chose a Sex Ponzi analogy for Epstein's method of recruiting prostitutes and it is tough if you do not like it. I choose my analogies, not you. Please concentrate on the topic instead of dreaming up phoney arguments.

Old 5th April 2021, 03:02 PM   #320
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

You do understand that her guilt is not dependant on conviction, right? I mean, the odds of her being innocent, given what we know, are pretty slim.

You are lying. I did not say she was innocent.

For me, objectivity is all, and that is the aim of any half decent judge in a criminal trial.

We have heard Bradley Edwards' side of the story, the book, the film, the TV videos, the audiotapes, the tweets. We have not heard Maxwell's. For all you know, she, too, might be a victim of Epstein. You do know that over the last eleven years or so, Epstein has had at least two different main girlfriends and Maxwell wasn't even around much after 2001?

Did you know Virginia Roberts, as she was then known, was just two month's shy of her eighteenth birthday when she met Prince Andrew. Seventeen is the legal age in England so under English law, Roberts was a consenting adult. As she flew from the USA with Maxwell it is difficult to believe she was 'trafficked' against her will. That's not to say Prince Andrew is innocent. If he had sex with underage girls barely older than his own daughters and indulged in orgies with them, as Roberts alleges, then of course, he is a disgusting creep, who should rightly be brought to justice.

Your claim that you know all about the case cannot be true because you have yet to hear the defence.

Last edited by Vixen; 5th April 2021 at 03:03 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors