IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 7th April 2021, 08:27 AM   #721
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I suppose it’s now officially the AstraZeneca vaccine, not Oxford-AstraZeneca?
Same reason why Andy Murray is British when he wins Wimbledon but Scottish when he's beaten in the third round of the Uzbekistan Open.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 08:43 AM   #722
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
Interesting to see that the under 20s rates are falling again. Where exactly do you get that info from?
The graphs are a bit too small for me to read, but that statement agrees with the Zoe Covid data which showed the same.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 08:48 AM   #723
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
That links to a tweet which says:
Quote:
So he's banning mobile phones in schools. Interesting, so when all those children can't contact their parents in an emergency on the way to or from school, will he just brush off their safety?
I guess I'm old, but, seriously, how often do children have an emergency on the way to or from school? I used to walk a mile to school on my own, or with my younger sister, when I was 10. We didn't have mobile phones.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 09:53 AM   #724
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I suppose it’s now officially the AstraZeneca vaccine, not Oxford-AstraZeneca?

I just mentioned that to Dad, about how I'd be a bit miffed if I was in Astra Zenica's marketing team
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 09:59 AM   #725
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
That links to a tweet which says:

I guess I'm old, but, seriously, how often do children have an emergency on the way to or from school? I used to walk a mile to school on my own, or with my younger sister, when I was 10. We didn't have mobile phones.

These days, not emergencies, but everyday stuff. My kids *did* go to a rural school 8 miles from our house (there were milestones).

It was useful to know if the public transport was playing up, or when after school activities were happening. Enough times that it was useful. If people have them, they get used to the increased options they facilitate.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 10:22 AM   #726
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Same reason why Andy Murray is British when he wins Wimbledon but Scottish when he's beaten in the third round of the Uzbekistan Open.
Where does the Pfizer vaccine, which was developed in Germany, fit in this analogy?
Old 7th April 2021, 11:17 AM   #727
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Banning use of mobiles in schools wouldn't necessarily mean banning them to and from school too. Just leave them in their lockers during classes.
Old 7th April 2021, 03:57 PM   #728
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Oliver Cooper Leader of @CamdenTories tweets

@OliverCooper
Proud that the UK could help Australia to replace the vaccines after the EU blocked exports. It was kept secret to stop a backlash in the UK, but I think most Britons would be proud we helped our eternal mates.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:59 PM   #729
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

More than 700,000 AstraZeneca doses secretly flown to Australia from Britain

Hundreds of thousands of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have been flown from the United Kingdom to Australia but the source of the shipments was kept quiet to avoid any controversy in coronavirus-ravaged Britain.

The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age can reveal Australia’s early rollout has been propped up by 717,000 doses manufactured in the UK rather than from factories in Europe as widely believed.

The need to source jabs from the UK underscores the difficulties Australia and AstraZeneca have faced in extracting supply from the EU under the bloc’s tough new export controls. It is now known that not a single AstraZeneca dose has been exported to Australia from Europe.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...07-p57hcl.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 12:16 AM   #730
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Banning use of mobiles in schools wouldn't necessarily mean banning them to and from school too. Just leave them in their lockers during classes.
I'm not sure how many students would be willing to trust their mobile's security to their locker. It's been nearly 40 years since I had a school locker but ours were trivially easy to break into.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 01:00 AM   #731
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

OK then, they switch them off when they enter a class and put them away. Anyone seen using theirs during the lesson without permission gets an automatic detention.
Old 8th April 2021, 01:01 AM   #732
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I was happy to see what appeared to be a rational argument as to why the under-30s would no longer be getting the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK due to clotting issues.

The risk of clotting in young people is significantly higher but the risk from Covid is orders of magnitude lower so whilst the Covid benefit/clotting risk ratio for over-60's is over 40:1, for the under-30's it's only 2:1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56665517
Old 8th April 2021, 03:44 AM   #733
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

OK then, they switch them off when they enter a class and put them away. Anyone seen using theirs during the lesson without permission gets an automatic detention.
What is being proposed is not allowing use at any time in the school day.
Old 8th April 2021, 03:50 AM   #734
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Until phones are required to host Covid certificates for school age people
What's wrong with a paper-based certificate?
Old 8th April 2021, 03:53 AM   #735
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
What's wrong with a paper-based certificate?
Everyone will have one by the end of the week.
Old 8th April 2021, 04:13 AM   #736
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

What is being proposed is not allowing use at any time in the school day.
Tories are super-excited about local decision making (like headteachers deciding what's appropriate mobile phone use in their school) until there's a headline to be grabbed in the Daily Mail
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 04:22 AM   #737
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What happens at the schools around here is that they have to hand in their phones in the morning and they are locked up. But as I said because we have so many of the comfortable class or also known as “rules don’t apply to me” parents around here they give the kids a phone to hand in and tell them to keep their proper phone on them.
Old 8th April 2021, 04:31 AM   #738
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Tories are super-excited about local decision making (like headteachers deciding what's appropriate mobile phone use in their school) until there's a headline to be grabbed in the Daily Mail
Tories are like my old boss when it comes to local decision making.

"You can choose your new uniforms, you can have this red one or this other slightly different red one."
Old 8th April 2021, 04:46 AM   #739
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What happens at the schools around here is that they have to hand in their phones in the morning and they are locked up. But as I said because we have so many of the comfortable class or also known as “rules don’t apply to me” parents around here they give the kids a phone to hand in and tell them to keep their proper phone on them.
This seems mad on it's face, but when it's being paid for out of money supposed to educate the kids! I despair
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 04:52 AM   #740
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

"But Miss, I urgently had to look at FaceBook to see how many likes I got and then I had to look at Snapchat and WhatsApp..."

Next day, angry parent confronts the school.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 04:59 AM   #741
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Are there really that many parents who would object if their children were unable to use their phones during classes? I would think the vast majority would go along with it, especially if it's the school that's enforcing it so they don't get blamed.
Old 8th April 2021, 06:20 AM   #742
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Are there really that many parents who would object if their children were unable to use their phones during classes? I would think the vast majority would go along with it, especially if it's the school that's enforcing it so they don't get blamed.
Those rules already are in place in many schools. What is not in place is a policy of automatic confiscation regardless of the situation. For example, it's quite possible to think of situations where phone use could be incorporated into lesson plans.

It's the idea that Gavin Williamson knows better than schools or teachers.
Old 8th April 2021, 10:06 AM   #743
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I was happy to see what appeared to be a rational argument as to why the under-30s would no longer be getting the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK due to clotting issues.

The risk of clotting in young people is significantly higher but the risk from Covid is orders of magnitude lower so whilst the Covid benefit/clotting risk ratio for over-60's is over 40:1, for the under-30's it's only 2:1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56665517
I think that it's worth pointing out that the risk of a clot from the vaccine is literally orders of magnitude less than the risk of a blood clot from (for example) taking birth control pills or taking a flight on a commercial airline. There does seem to be a risk but it's well inside the realms of risks we take for less reward.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 10:08 AM   #744
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This is n't about using it in classes. the minister was saying they shouldn't be used in schools at all in or out of classes.
Old 8th April 2021, 10:55 AM   #745
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Philippines and Australia are to limit the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab in younger people
UK regulator announces that the under-30s in the UK will receive an alternative over very rare blood clots
Old 8th April 2021, 11:58 AM   #746
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

More than 700,000 AstraZeneca doses secretly flown to Australia from Britain

Hundreds of thousands of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have been flown from the United Kingdom to Australia but the source of the shipments was kept quiet to avoid any controversy in coronavirus-ravaged Britain.

The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age can reveal Australia’s early rollout has been propped up by 717,000 doses manufactured in the UK rather than from factories in Europe as widely believed.

The need to source jabs from the UK underscores the difficulties Australia and AstraZeneca have faced in extracting supply from the EU under the bloc’s tough new export controls. It is now known that not a single AstraZeneca dose has been exported to Australia from Europe.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...07-p57hcl.html
It's good that Covid vaccine exports are finally being allowed from the UK. The US may soon allow a small number to be exported as well. The EU, which has shipped ~80 million, remains the most reliable partner wrt to allowing vaccines produced within it's borders to be exported. It's still the only viable source of vaccine for countries that don't have their own production facilities.
Old 8th April 2021, 11:43 PM   #747
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It was tongue-in-cheek but you know what some parents are like.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 11:45 PM   #748
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I think that it's worth pointing out that the risk of a clot from the vaccine is literally orders of magnitude less than the risk of a blood clot from (for example) taking birth control pills or taking a flight on a commercial airline. There does seem to be a risk but it's well inside the realms of risks we take for less reward.
I can't agree with the 'run-over-by-a-bus'/'hit by a meteor' line of reasoning.

Old 9th April 2021, 02:47 AM   #749
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

In an attempt to get more positive headlines, the spectre of returning holidaymakers importing new variants is rearing its head.

Quote:
People in England can start thinking about booking foreign holidays again for this summer, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56682226

The holiday industry is worried that the cost of the (necessary) Covid tests will be prohibitive:

Quote:
But the travel industry has expressed concern about the government's testing requirements, warning it could make holidays unaffordable for many travellers.
I expect that the government will either drop the requirement for tests or will provide them for free - subsidising the reckless individuals for whom a holiday is more important than controlling a pandemic.

IMO the best way to control the spread of Covid is to keep the movement of people down to an absolute minimum. There seems to be a widely held belief that so long as people are vaccinated then there's no risk but:
  • Just because you've been vaccinated doesn't mean you're immune
  • Even if you're immune, you can still carry and transmit the virus
  • New variants are emerging all the time and these new variants may not be controlled by the vaccine
  • Tests only show whether you've got a big enough viral load to be classified as being infected today, not whether you're in the incubation phase

I'm very concerned that a holiday season combined with a return to indoor socialisation will lead to a third wave. The UK government is already forecasting 30,000 Covid deaths over the 2021/22 winter. Then again, last year they were talking in terms of 20,000 in total and depending on what statistics you use we're currently at 6, 7 or 8 times that number.
Old 9th April 2021, 06:54 AM   #750
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Tokyo, which had just come out of a state of emergency only 2 weeks ago, is about to go back into what they are calling a "quasi state of emergency" again. Infections in Osaka are also rising sharply, and they've already declared one.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...s-rebound.html
Old 10th April 2021, 06:33 PM   #751
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I think people in Japan have become complacent. Vaccines are only just beginning to become available here for the elderly, and even that group is just starting to be vaccinated.

Meanwhile, people seem to be ignoring the government's pleas to avoid unnecessary travel:

Japan's anti-virus pleas fall on deaf ears as scores venture out (Japan Times)

Quote:
Large numbers of people on Saturday flooded transport hubs in major population centers across Japan despite the government designating Tokyo, Kyoto and Okinawa prefectures as requiring more stringent coronavirus countermeasures just a day earlier.

The government response puzzled some travelers while others questioned the need for authorities to ask people to refrain from traveling across prefectural borders.

The government took action as Osaka and the wider Kansai area in the west have experienced a surge in numbers of people infected with COVID-19 variants.

“I did not expect measures would be extended to Okinawa,” said a 52-year-old woman as she readied to depart Tokyo’s Haneda Airport on a two-day trip to the popular tourist destination in Japan’s south.

“I’ll keep my fun to a minimum,” added the woman who lives in Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture.
Quote:
The airport and the Shinjuku Expressway Bus Terminal were busy with travelers seemingly ignoring the government’s request for people to not make unnecessary outings due to the worsening situation.

At the express bus terminal near Shinjuku Station, Rieko Fukushima, a 59-year-old woman heading for orchestra practice to Chiba Prefecture said her group shortened their practice plans but did not cancel them.

“I have worries, but I want to build relationships with others in the orchestra,” Fukushima said.

In the capital’s bustling Harajuku district, home to the world-famous Takeshita shopping street, many young people and families were shopping and eating out, although the area is still less crowded than before the pandemic.

“I don’t know the difference between the measures this time and from the state of emergency, so I don’t know what to do,” said a 19-year-old vocational school student who was shopping with her friend. “I don’t think politicians have fully explained the issue to us.”

Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga’s government on Friday added Tokyo, Kyoto and Okinawa to the list of prefectures requiring stronger virus countermeasures under a quasi-state of emergency.
Apparently when you call it a "quasi-state of emergency" it doesn't quite convey the same sense of urgency, does it? Also I expect that pandemic fatigue is setting in.
Old 11th April 2021, 05:39 AM   #752
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Matt Hancock met David Cameron and financier Lex Greensill for a "private drink" to discuss a new payment scheme for the NHS

A number of NHS trusts went on to use Greensill Capital's app during the pandemic
Old 11th April 2021, 03:13 PM   #753
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

"Kriti Sachdeva is more excited about the easing of national lockdown restrictions than she is about her birthday in November. “I want to celebrate,” she said. “I want to do everything, I just worry I won’t have time to fit it all in.”

She plans to go to the gym, eat brunch on the pavement at her favourite cafe, hit the shops, meet up with friends for a group outdoor yoga class and see work colleagues for drinks at an outdoor pub." link

ffs

Here we go again
Old 11th April 2021, 10:54 PM   #754
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Yup
Old 12th April 2021, 05:30 AM   #755
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Much of what she says she wants to do is pretty safe though. Outdoor meetings at a pub, to have a meal on the cafe pavement and for a yoga class aren't going to transmit the virus. Even shopping seems to be pretty low risk. Her one dangerous activity there, which I wouldn't do, is the gym.
Old 12th April 2021, 05:42 AM   #756
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Much of what she says she wants to do is pretty safe though. Outdoor meetings at a pub, to have a meal on the cafe pavement and for a yoga class aren't going to transmit the virus. Even shopping seems to be pretty low risk. Her one dangerous activity there, which I wouldn't do, is the gym.
Well, the last relaxation saw the streets of Soho, and elsewhere, absolutely jam-packed with people eating and drinking, often without a mask in sight and with no social distancing. 'On paper' and 'in practice' might turn out to be very different beasts, and previous experience is not encouraging.

I see that Wales has a similar relaxation in 2 weeks' time. A surge in English covid infections might allow Wales to postpone that, or modify it heavily.
Old 12th April 2021, 05:53 AM   #757
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I'm going to Wales (St David's) on Saturday for a week's (self catering) holiday. I booked it last June and wasn't sure the rules would permit it until about a week ago. I've booked a dolphin watching boat trip which (judging by the photos of the small open boat and the instruction to wear a mask) should be safe enough, and will otherwise be walking/cycling. It will be interesting to see how busy the coast path is. As I'll usually be cycling to it I should be able to avoid the bits closest to car parks.

ETA: Spoke too soon, the boat trip people just phoned to say the date the Welsh government are going to allow attractions (which apparently includes boat trips) to re-open is 26th April. So no dolphin watching trip.

Last edited by Pixel42; 12th April 2021 at 07:07 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 07:38 AM   #758
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Well, the last relaxation saw the streets of Soho, and elsewhere, absolutely jam-packed with people eating and drinking, often without a mask in sight and with no social distancing. 'On paper' and 'in practice' might turn out to be very different beasts, and previous experience is not encouraging.

I see that Wales has a similar relaxation in 2 weeks' time. A surge in English covid infections might allow Wales to postpone that, or modify it heavily.

Even so, the chance of transmission in the open air is still a lot lower than indoors, especially if there's a breeze. As always it comes down to individual behaviour. It's perfectly possible to do most of what she says she wants to do safely, if she just stands or sits at a reasonable distance from her mates. It's up to her whether she does that, but I wouldn't immediately judge her and assume she wasn't going to.
Old 12th April 2021, 08:12 AM   #759
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Even so, the chance of transmission in the open air is still a lot lower than indoors, especially if there's a breeze. As always it comes down to individual behaviour. It's perfectly possible to do most of what she says she wants to do safely, if she just stands or sits at a reasonable distance from her mates. It's up to her whether she does that, but I wouldn't immediately judge her and assume she wasn't going to.
It depends. I understand the rules say that you need 50% exposed wall area for it to be considered outside, but there are still some marquee-type pubs that are effectively inside
Old 12th April 2021, 08:34 AM   #760
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Times change. Communities change. Risks change. Too, why *not* make use of new and better tools when they become available.

And, once again: Risk assessment isn't just about the likelihood of a risk happening. It's also about the amount of damage if the risk does happen.

Hopefully children should almost never need emergency services just a phone call away, on their way to and from school. But in the unlikely event that does happen... Why on Earth would you want to take a stand on the hill of, "one kid in a million needed a phone, that's an acceptable loss, no big deal, leave the phones at home kids"?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics