IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Old 14th February 2021, 12:33 AM   #201
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Collin237 View Post
The passing of the bill in North Carolina happened in the context of a two-restroom system only a few decades old,
not the global version. So when Meadmaker was painting the picture of an exordial tradition, rather than a hard-won modern liberty, it was indeed relevant that I reminded him that the entire incident is enclosed in US politics.
This is the laughable part.

Segregated toilets are as old as plumbing, which is what Cullen's article was saying. At first, it was men only. Then there were some specifically for women.

What do you suppose would happen to a British man in 1870 who decided to wander into the ladies' toilet. I'm not seeing it end well for that guy.
It's not some "new prudery".

ETA: I'm not sure about Rome, prior to Christianity.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 14th February 2021 at 12:34 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 02:41 AM   #202
caveman1917
Philosopher

Looks like the ONS definitions that LJ gave are disputed by clinical researchers. So much for LJ's claims of the ONS representing the opinion of the medical experts.
Quote:
Changes to Census data collection on biological sex could hamper clinical research.

Clinical research into how illnesses and treatments affect women and men differently could be hit by changes to the way the Census collects data on sex, it has been claimed.
Britons will be asked 'what is your sex?' in the survey this year, with the ability to answer either 'female' or 'male'. The format of this question has remained unchanged since it was first posed in the initial full census of 1801.
However, the guidance for the 2021 Census has been updated to state that people may answer with the sex described in documents such as their passport or driving licence, which for transgender people may be different from their sex at birth.
Concerns have arisen from some quarters that this decision by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) will set a new standard for asking about biological sex from which scientists and researchers will find it difficult to deviate.
This in turn could harm the quality of data in research and trials about how medical treatments and therapies affect the biological sexes differently, it has been claimed.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 03:00 AM   #203
Collin237
Muse

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
This is the laughable part.

Segregated toilets are as old as plumbing, which is what Cullen's article was saying. At first, it was men only. Then there were some specifically for women.

What do you suppose would happen to a British man in 1870 who decided to wander into the ladies' toilet. I'm not seeing it end well for that guy.
It's not some "new prudery".

ETA: I'm not sure about Rome, prior to Christianity.
Two toilets are only a few decades old in the US. Before that, the US had three toilets, the third marked "colored". The bill in North Carolina cannot be separated from that context.
Old 14th February 2021, 03:57 AM   #204
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Were the "colored" toilets unisex?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 04:56 AM   #205
Collin237
Muse

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Were the "colored" toilets unisex?
Apparently in some states they were.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...hrooms-14.html
Old 14th February 2021, 08:18 AM   #206
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently in some states they were.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...hrooms-14.html
That makes sense. My cats' litterboxes are unisex.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 08:26 AM   #207
Joe Random
Master Poster

Damn it - I just realized that I never asked my cat it's gender when I picked it up from the shelter. I certainly hope I've not been forcing it to use a mis-gendered litterbox all these years. But at least I think I've correctly identified the preferred pronouns of "weooww" and "brrRRRrr".
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 08:56 AM   #208
Collin237
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That makes sense. My cats' litterboxes are unisex.
By saying that, you just became an evil fascist.

Last edited by Collin237; 14th February 2021 at 09:00 AM.
Collin237 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 09:18 AM   #209
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

By saying that, you just became an evil fascist.
Pretty sure I'm the Useless Mouth, in the "living with cats" scenario.

Anyway, did you ever figure out the Cain/Cain mystery?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 09:29 AM   #210
Collin237
Muse

Pretty sure I'm the Useless Mouth, in the "living with cats" scenario.

Anyway, did you ever figure out the Cain/Cain mystery?
Clearly you think you're "avenging me sevenfold" for revealing the gaping hole in your ideology.
Old 14th February 2021, 09:39 AM   #211
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly you think you're "avenging me sevenfold" for revealing the gaping hole in your ideology.
I'm very sorry. I don't always do well with innuendo. Could you please spell it out for me? What do you think my ideology is? What gaping hole do you see in it? How did I reveal the hole?
Old 14th February 2021, 09:59 AM   #212
Collin237
Muse

I'm very sorry. I don't always do well with innuendo. Could you please spell it out for me? What do you think my ideology is? What gaping hole do you see in it? How did I reveal the hole?
You and Meadmaker have been acting like you were perfectly fine with knowing what a person is until the big bad trans people took your simplicity away. Now you finally admit you believe that black people are from another planet.
Old 14th February 2021, 10:15 AM   #213
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Two toilets are only a few decades old in the US. Before that, the US had three toilets, the third marked "colored". The bill in North Carolina cannot be separated from that context.
I question this. I don't think it was the rule, but rather an occasional thing especially in the deep South. Toilets were fairly expensive to start with, plus the available real estate to make an extra washroom is a real cost. Googling a little showed the same one or two images over and over, not the many thousands expected. There were more dual fountains than separate unisex washrooms.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 10:17 AM   #214
Sherkeu
Master Poster

You and Meadmaker have been acting like you were perfectly fine with knowing what a person is until the big bad trans people took your simplicity away. Now you finally admit you believe that black people are from another planet.

Oh my...where is that giant stretching arms emoji?

Neither Mead nor Prestige use a Women's restroom. Why do you think they care who gets to use it?
Their position might mean that the people you think they discriminate against go into their OWN restrooms. Now why would they advocate for such a silly thing being the bigoted racists they are?

And the real truth is that restrooms are just an exercise in principal. Not many people care where you pee if you don't make problems.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 14th February 2021 at 11:08 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 11:04 AM   #215
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Haha oh wow. No.

People who think of other people as animals might not bother to give them segregated bathrooms. In my case, it's perfectly fine, since cats really are animals.

Obviously it's not fine when it's black people. But there are racists out there who do think it's fine, because they don't think black people are people.

My ideology is both humane and hole-free. And it turns out I'm not the one who struggles with innuendo.
Old 14th February 2021, 11:47 AM   #216
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Dealing with Collin's free association is a rabbit hole I don't really want to go down, but just in case anyone forgot, I want to reiterate The Point.

In recent years, some states have passed or some legislators have introduced so called "bathroom bills". The merits of those bills have been debated, and undoubtedly will continue to be debated. Sometimes, though, specious arguments are used against those bills. Among those are claims that suddenly a wave of prudery is sweeping America (or elsewhere, if similar legislation exists), and that these bills require "genital checkers".

Whether they are a good idea or a bad idea, what is actually going on is that these legislators are trying to restore the situation that existed for most of history. It was only in the second half of my lifetime that it would have even occurred to anyone that such a bill would mean anything. It would be fair to say that those bills want to turn back the clock to a previous time. Even that, though, is back to a time that is within living memory of everyone on this thread, because it was mean shifting the clock all the way back to.....2005, maybe? Certainly no more distant than 2000.
Old 14th February 2021, 11:53 AM   #217
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Dealing with Collin's free association is a rabbit hole I don't really want to go down, but just in case anyone forgot, I want to reiterate The Point.

In recent years, some states have passed or some legislators have introduced so called "bathroom bills". The merits of those bills have been debated, and undoubtedly will continue to be debated. Sometimes, though, specious arguments are used against those bills. Among those are claims that suddenly a wave of prudery is sweeping America (or elsewhere, if similar legislation exists), and that these bills require "genital checkers".

Whether they are a good idea or a bad idea, what is actually going on is that these legislators are trying to restore the situation that existed for most of history. It was only in the second half of my lifetime that it would have even occurred to anyone that such a bill would mean anything. It would be fair to say that those bills want to turn back the clock to a previous time. Even that, though, is back to a time that is within living memory of everyone on this thread, because it was mean shifting the clock all the way back to.....2005, maybe? Certainly no more distant than 2000.
I hear you. As kids it would be unthinkable that any of us would want or even attempt to enter the other 'sex' restroom. It just was not done. And if it is not done, what is the point of legislating?

We do not legislate things that are not issues.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 12:59 PM   #218
d4m10n
Philosopher

In recent years, some states have passed or some legislators have introduced so called "bathroom bills".
Some states are going after trans rights somewhat more directly of late.

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
We do not legislate things that are not issues.
True, and it really puts Leviticus 20:15-16 in perspective.

Last edited by d4m10n; 14th February 2021 at 01:28 PM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 01:13 PM   #219
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
True, and it really puts Leviticus 20:15-16 in perspective.
You're really asking for trouble with that one Judi!!
Old 14th February 2021, 01:31 PM   #220
Collin237
Muse

Oh my...where is that giant stretching arms emoji?

Neither Mead nor Prestige use a Women's restroom. Why do you think they care who gets to use it?
Their position might mean that the people you think they discriminate against go into their OWN restrooms. Now why would they advocate for such a silly thing being the bigoted racists they are?

And the real truth is that restrooms are just an exercise in principal. Not many people care where you pee if you don't make problems.
Old 14th February 2021, 01:44 PM   #221
Collin237
Muse

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Some states are going after trans rights somewhat more directly of late.
From that article:

Quote:
However, some conservative politicians want to take that decision out of the hands of doctors and parents who know these teens best — and put it in the hands of the state.
The same thing IGLYO is trying to do in the "liberal" direction. They're both an attack on trans rights.
Old 14th February 2021, 03:30 PM   #222
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Looks like the ONS definitions that LJ gave are disputed by clinical researchers. So much for LJ's claims of the ONS representing the opinion of the medical experts.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/onsvalen...=hashtag_click
Old 15th February 2021, 12:26 AM   #223
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post

Nope.

That article gets completely the wrong (and ignorant) end of the stick.

Perhaps this will help explain the true situation about exactly which questions are being asked in the 2021 UK Census, and why:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55721123
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 12:37 AM   #224
Manger Douse
Muse

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Nope.

Perhaps this will help explain the true situation about exactly which questions are being asked in the 2021 UK Census, and why:

Still nothing from these "scores of medical experts" I see
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 12:49 AM   #225
Collin237
Muse

Nope.

You could have just mentioned that a long time ago.

The fact that there are two separate fields, one for sex and one for gender, also raises an important question. Obviously, the sex field has been self-identified, around the world, long before a gender field was even proposed. That's been okay because it's reduntant; sex is already observed (or as they say now, "assigned") at birth.

Surely there can be established a process of "assigning" gender as a long-range social project extending throughout primary education.

If you're as good a researcher as you say you are, maybe you can find out for us whether something like that has been proposed?

ETA: A census field is a dataset, not a definition. And the process of conducting a census is combinatorical, not medical. Manger Douse is correct; you are indeed insisting on huge category errors.

Last edited by Collin237; 15th February 2021 at 12:59 AM.
Collin237 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 12:58 AM   #226
Aber
Graduate Poster

They're both an attack on trans rights.
Please explain what "trans rights" are, and why IGLYO's actions are an attack on them..
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 01:02 AM   #227
Aber
Graduate Poster

Which ignores recent history. eg from 2017

Quote:
The "sex" question in the next census could be made voluntary after claims it discriminates against transgender people.

The "tentative" recommendation has been made in an Office for National Statistics (ONS) report on gender identity.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 01:09 AM   #228
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post

Jehovah.

"First though, it is necessary to point out that the terms sex and gender are not synonyms. Sex refers to the biological differences between males and females. Gender refers to the continuum of complex psychosocial self-perceptions, attitudes, and expectations people have about members of both sexes. Even the terms male and female, man and woman are not interchangeable. What it means to be male or female originates from physical characteristics derived from sex chromosomes and genes that lead to certain gonads, internal and external genitalia, and physiological hormones. Being a man or a woman holds broader meaning, with cultural concepts of masculinity and femininity coming into play."

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org...matter/2008-07

"'Sex' and 'gender' are often used interchangeably, despite having different meanings:

Sex refers to a set of biological attributes in humans and animals. It is primarily associated with physical and physiological features including chromosomes, gene expression, hormone levels and function, and reproductive/sexual anatomy. Sex is usually categorized as female or male but there is variation in the biological attributes that comprise sex and how those attributes are expressed.

Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, expressions and identities of girls, women, boys, men, and gender diverse people. It influences how people perceive themselves and each other, how they act and interact, and the distribution of power and resources in society. Gender identity is not confined to a binary (girl/woman, boy/man) nor is it static; it exists along a continuum and can change over time. There is considerable diversity in how individuals and groups understand, experience and express gender through the roles they take on, the expectations placed on them, relations with others and the complex ways that gender is institutionalized in society."

https://cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/48642.html

"Sex is a biological trait that is determined by the specific sex chromosomes inherited from one’s parents. In humans, male sex is determined (with a few exceptions) by the presence of the Y chromosome. A gene on the Y chromosome directs the differentiation of the fetal gonads into testes, resulting in the production of testosterone — which affects many of the body’s tissues — early in development. People with one X and one Y chromosome, or variants like XXY or XYY, are typically male, while those who have solely X chromosomes are usually female. People have a sex; animals have a sex; all tissues, including the fetal placenta, have a sex; even individual cells have a sex.

Gender, on the other hand, is socially, culturally and personally defined. It includes how individuals see themselves (gender identity), how others perceive them and expect them to behave (gender norms), and the interactions (gender relations) that they have with others. Often one’s gender aligns with one’s sex: Men tend to assume more masculine behaviors and traits, and to be seen as masculine by others around them, for example. But not always. Increasingly, researchers like Stefanick and Schiebinger are realizing that both men and women exhibit a spectrum of gender traits that aren’t purely masculine or feminine."

https://stanmed.stanford.edu/2017spr...ur-health.html

"Gender, according to the Global Health 50/50 definition, refers to the socially constructed norms that impose and determine roles, relationships, and positional power for all people across their lifetime. Gender interacts with sex, the biological and physical characteristics that define women, men, and those with intersex identities. Gender is not a binary term. It includes the understanding that in many people, traits of masculinity or femininity coexist and are expressed to different degrees. Gender attributes are fluid; more than two thirds of women and men report gender-related characteristics traditionally attributed to the opposite sex. In transgender people, gender identity differs with the sex they were assigned at birth. So far, transgender people have generally been underrepresented in clinical studies to date, although this underrepresentation is changing. Gender is an equally important variable as biological sex in human health, and influences the behaviour of communities, clinicians, and patients. Gender roles represent the behavioural norms applied to men and women in society, which influence individuals' everyday actions, expectations, and experiences, including diet, perceived stress, smoking, and physical activity, and affect health and disease susceptibility. Gender identity describes the fluidity of how a person perceives oneself as a woman or a man, which affects feelings and behaviours. Gender relations refer to how we interact with or are treated by people, on the basis of our ascribed gender. Institutionalised gender reflects the distribution of power between men and women in the political, educational, and social institutions in society and shapes social norms that define, perpetuate, and often justify different expectations and opportunities for women and men."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...561-0/fulltext

And then read this medical paper in full (pdf):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...d9ReuFyTQF5KK-

And then..... stop asking this stupid question (for which the answer was obvious long ago to anyone who knows anything about the subject and who also wishes to debate/discuss in good faith)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 01:12 AM   #229
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Which ignores recent history. eg from 2017

You're quoting a tentative suggestion made, three years ago, during the consultation period for the 2021 census. That suggestion obviously hasn't survived the process. I don't really know what your point is.
Old 15th February 2021, 01:34 AM   #230
Collin237
Muse

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Please explain what "trans rights" are, and why IGLYO's actions are an attack on them..
Trans rights, for a child, are the same as any other special-need rights. A child with any kind of special need deserves a life planned by a consensus between them, their parents, and reputable specialists.

If a child is questioning their gender, it's an unfair imposition for a "liberal" organization to pressure them into accepting transitional programs, just as much as for a "conservative" organization to pressure them into declining transitional programs.
Old 15th February 2021, 02:14 AM   #231
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Jehovah.

"First though, it is necessary to point out that the terms sex and gender are not synonyms. Sex refers to the biological differences between males and females. Gender refers to the continuum of complex psychosocial self-perceptions, attitudes, and expectations people have about members of both sexes. Even the terms male and female, man and woman are not interchangeable. What it means to be male or female originates from physical characteristics derived from sex chromosomes and genes that lead to certain gonads, internal and external genitalia, and physiological hormones. Being a man or a woman holds broader meaning, with cultural concepts of masculinity and femininity coming into play."

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org...matter/2008-07

"'Sex' and 'gender' are often used interchangeably, despite having different meanings:

Sex refers to a set of biological attributes in humans and animals. It is primarily associated with physical and physiological features including chromosomes, gene expression, hormone levels and function, and reproductive/sexual anatomy. Sex is usually categorized as female or male but there is variation in the biological attributes that comprise sex and how those attributes are expressed.

Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, expressions and identities of girls, women, boys, men, and gender diverse people. It influences how people perceive themselves and each other, how they act and interact, and the distribution of power and resources in society. Gender identity is not confined to a binary (girl/woman, boy/man) nor is it static; it exists along a continuum and can change over time. There is considerable diversity in how individuals and groups understand, experience and express gender through the roles they take on, the expectations placed on them, relations with others and the complex ways that gender is institutionalized in society."

https://cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/48642.html

"Sex is a biological trait that is determined by the specific sex chromosomes inherited from one’s parents. In humans, male sex is determined (with a few exceptions) by the presence of the Y chromosome. A gene on the Y chromosome directs the differentiation of the fetal gonads into testes, resulting in the production of testosterone — which affects many of the body’s tissues — early in development. People with one X and one Y chromosome, or variants like XXY or XYY, are typically male, while those who have solely X chromosomes are usually female. People have a sex; animals have a sex; all tissues, including the fetal placenta, have a sex; even individual cells have a sex.

Gender, on the other hand, is socially, culturally and personally defined. It includes how individuals see themselves (gender identity), how others perceive them and expect them to behave (gender norms), and the interactions (gender relations) that they have with others. Often one’s gender aligns with one’s sex: Men tend to assume more masculine behaviors and traits, and to be seen as masculine by others around them, for example. But not always. Increasingly, researchers like Stefanick and Schiebinger are realizing that both men and women exhibit a spectrum of gender traits that aren’t purely masculine or feminine."

https://stanmed.stanford.edu/2017spr...ur-health.html

"Gender, according to the Global Health 50/50 definition, refers to the socially constructed norms that impose and determine roles, relationships, and positional power for all people across their lifetime. Gender interacts with sex, the biological and physical characteristics that define women, men, and those with intersex identities. Gender is not a binary term. It includes the understanding that in many people, traits of masculinity or femininity coexist and are expressed to different degrees. Gender attributes are fluid; more than two thirds of women and men report gender-related characteristics traditionally attributed to the opposite sex. In transgender people, gender identity differs with the sex they were assigned at birth. So far, transgender people have generally been underrepresented in clinical studies to date, although this underrepresentation is changing. Gender is an equally important variable as biological sex in human health, and influences the behaviour of communities, clinicians, and patients. Gender roles represent the behavioural norms applied to men and women in society, which influence individuals' everyday actions, expectations, and experiences, including diet, perceived stress, smoking, and physical activity, and affect health and disease susceptibility. Gender identity describes the fluidity of how a person perceives oneself as a woman or a man, which affects feelings and behaviours. Gender relations refer to how we interact with or are treated by people, on the basis of our ascribed gender. Institutionalised gender reflects the distribution of power between men and women in the political, educational, and social institutions in society and shapes social norms that define, perpetuate, and often justify different expectations and opportunities for women and men."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...561-0/fulltext

And then read this medical paper in full (pdf):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...d9ReuFyTQF5KK-

And then..... stop asking this stupid question (for which the answer was obvious long ago to anyone who knows anything about the subject and who also wishes to debate/discuss in good faith)

These are interesting definitions of the non-binary continuum of diversity in gender. Nothing here says transwomen are women. It is supposed to be some societal acceptance and agreement that the behaviors conform as belonging to that gender and the social norms within it. Your definitions here make it a two way street.

I will say that for females, a male claiming a female gender based on his visual transformation is not enough. Saying he wants to be treated as female is not enough. Acting 'feminine' is not enough and is sometimes just insulting. That is just window dressing. There is soooooo much more to being a female- and all of the diversity within our own sex. Some transwomen will pass the bar but so many today won't and should clearly be excluded. I would not expect someone who is NOT female to understand how we know the difference. But we do.

As the bulk of the gender that has the responsibility and burden of proposed unconditional acceptance, shouldn't it be the females of the culture whose opinions matter the most? Or do you think you have a good understanding of female internal thoughts among all the diversity in our population and what we should accept as 'woman'?

If you want me to accpet that men who want to socially behave as women....sure. Done. But to say they ARE women because they said so and took some steps in that direction? Nope. They are their own unique part of the spectrum and should be accepted as just that.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 15th February 2021 at 02:26 AM.
Old 15th February 2021, 02:21 AM   #232
Collin237
Muse

That's a strange article. It seems to be saying that the sole distinction between sex and gender is whether an attribute is autopeic to an individual or in relation with society. That would mean that gender dysphoria doesn't make someone transgender. Conversely, it would mean that, for example, a woman who's fortunate enough to acquire a job in a very male-dominant profession would be considered a trans man.
Old 15th February 2021, 02:29 AM   #233
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'm loving this - please watch your pronouns: https://www.stuff.co.nz/pou-tiaki/12...y-in-workplace

I'll do a deal with the LGBTQIA+?~E community.

I'll start using your correct pronouns when you stop with the "cis" gender rubbish.
Old 15th February 2021, 02:37 AM   #234
Collin237
Muse

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'm loving this - please watch your pronouns: https://www.stuff.co.nz/pou-tiaki/12...y-in-workplace

I'll start using your correct pronouns when you stop with the "cis" gender rubbish.
So you're protesting against left-wing Political Correctness by insisting on right-wing Political Correctness?

ETA: Why is a company that conducts business in both English and Maori making a fuss about English grammar only? Isn't that rather ethnocentric?

Last edited by Collin237; 15th February 2021 at 02:50 AM.
Old 15th February 2021, 02:45 AM   #235
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Oh dear. How long will it be until misgendering will be a criminal offence (if it isn’t already in some weird and wonderful part of the world)?

Will we see infractions here for calling Boudicca “he”? It wouldn’t surprise.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 02:48 AM   #236
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Cis-gender doesn't even exist really. No one has the exact same gender as their sex if it is all on a continuum of masculine and feminine traits that co-exist in the same person. Gender is now something that needs to be applied different aspects of a person.

I am outing myself as a male-gendered shopper. (don't like shopping and have no clue why many women like to 'take a look' window shopping. Shopping with men ends up with 10 minutes of getting what I need, then lunch! Perfect.)
It's all getting very fuzzy, so that the labels people want are meaningless.
Old 15th February 2021, 02:53 AM   #237
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Cis-gender doesn't even exist really. No one has the exact same gender as their sex if it is all on a continuum of masculine and feminine traits that co-exist in the same person. Gender is now something that needs to be applied different aspects of a person.

I am outing myself as a male-gendered shopper. (don't like shopping and have no clue why many women like to 'take a look' window shopping. Shopping with men ends up with 10 minutes of getting what I need, then lunch! Perfect.)
It's all getting very fuzzy, so that the labels people want are meaningless.
Good call. I am a female-gendered lover of musicals and dance competitions.

This gendering thing is fun.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 04:17 AM   #238
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Good call. I am a female-gendered lover of musicals and dance competitions.

This gendering thing is fun.

That's awesome...You do you my gaygirlymanfriendbutreallyonlyformusicalsanddance! !! We all have our own gender pockets to inhabit!!!

I suppose my very own kiddo could be a male-gendered athlete if I consider all her court aggressiveness and trash talking those female-gendered teammates for not backing her up. (I would have to ignore her cartwheels and dance twirls on court though)

Even now, the boys in the class above hers consider her an honorary boy-gender...no other girls got invited to paintball wars!! (and yes, the 2 boys to the left are a year older, but puberty hasnt really hit them yet...plus I look the same standing next to their moms)

And in all seriousness, it is girls like mine that get roped into thinking they are trans by things they see on the internet, especially if they get to a stage where they are uncomfortable with body changes. Parents are waking up to this issue more and more, especially for the females. But that is another topic I suppose.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 15th February 2021 at 04:47 AM.
Old 15th February 2021, 04:18 AM   #239
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
Yes exactly, not a single expert being quoted in LJ's link - as opposed to my earlier link which does quote several clinical researchers.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 04:19 AM   #240
caveman1917
Philosopher

Jehovah.

{...}
In typical woo fashion, when pressed on a point just try to dazzle the audience by throwing out tons of links which don't even address the point.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events