IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Derek Chauvin , George Floyd , murder cases , police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 7th April 2021, 03:08 PM   #681
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
If you wanted objectivity and race-blindness, you joined the wrong species.

You're looking for androids or something.

I guarantee that there will be, at least roughly, a racial divide in that jury deliberation room, just as there was on the Zimmerman jury and OJ jury.
Well, I guess the difference between us is that I can recognize those faults in our species, but see them as problems to be intelligently overcome, while you seem to see those animal instincts as features that we just have to dumbly give in to, if not to celebrate and perpetuate.

So, tell me- who's the primitive here?

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:10 PM   #682
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
But the clerk recognized the bill was fake.
not at first.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:20 PM   #683
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
not at first.
And that matters, why?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:26 PM   #684
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Apparently, it felt real enough that the clerk didn't notice when she first got it.
Or the clerk had zero training in how to recognize real US currency.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:27 PM   #685
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And that matters, why?
The bill being counterfeit matters why?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:50 PM   #686
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
so didn't notice it was fake.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:51 PM   #687
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ann Coulter tweeted

@AnnCoulter
Prosecution witness Hansen as she appeared in court (full dress uniform) vs. The day she screamed at officers detaining George Floyd (in sweats and a do-rag)

(Pictures in link)
https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/statu...09028462100486
Old 7th April 2021, 04:33 PM   #688
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Come on, if you handle bills all day you know when they don't feel right.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 04:33 PM   #689
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The bill being counterfeit matters why?
Your answer is a non sequitur to the Captain's post I was replying to.
Old 7th April 2021, 04:37 PM   #690
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ann Coulter tweeted

@AnnCoulter
Prosecution witness Hansen as she appeared in court (full dress uniform) vs. The day she screamed at officers detaining George Floyd (in sweats and a do-rag)

(Pictures in link)
The comments say it all, especially the first one, paraphrased.
Quote:
And your point? ******* moron

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th April 2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old 7th April 2021, 08:02 PM   #691
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

But the clerk recognized the bill was fake.
Not initially, or why would have she accepted it?
Old 7th April 2021, 08:03 PM   #692
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Then why did she accept it?
Old 7th April 2021, 08:17 PM   #693
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

She was a he I thought but the problem was second thoughts I believe, maybe not wanting to confront a person directly. It's kind of hard for some people to call someone else a liar to their face.
Old 7th April 2021, 09:27 PM   #694
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Ann Coulter tweeted

@AnnCoulter

(Pictures in link)
Jesus, that page is a ******* mess. If you ever feel like subjecting your brain to all-out assault on logic and reality, go there.
Old 7th April 2021, 09:57 PM   #695
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, I don't think that is true of American banknotes. Once they get really old and worn (as in ready to be pulled from circulation) they can fee very much like "old paper", flaccid with no crispness. How do I know this? Because I worked for six months as a bartender in the "O Club" at the US Navy USARP Base in Christchurch where VXE6 was stationed. American money all looks the same across the denominations; all the same size and colour from $1 to $100 bills, and in the dim light of the bar area, it was damned hard to see them clearly. Someone could have passed a shade bill and I probably wouldn't have noticed.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 10:04 PM   #696
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Actually, I don't think that is true of American banknotes. ....
The paper is the one thing counterfeiters have the hardest time copying. It's not paper it's a kind of cloth.

The ordinary paper that consumers use throughout their everyday life such as newspapers, books, cereal boxes, etc., is primarily made of wood pulp; however, United States currency paper is composed of 75 percent cotton and 25 percent linen. This is what gives United States currency its distinct look and feel

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th April 2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 7th April 2021, 10:35 PM   #697
erlando
Graduate Poster

The serial numbers are the same.
For that to be a factor you'd have to be in possession of both to notice.

Also what does it matter if the bill is fake or not?
Old 7th April 2021, 10:36 PM   #698
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The paper is the one thing counterfeiters have the hardest time copying. It's not paper it's a kind of cloth.
Some counterfeiters used to bleach $1 bills and print $20s or $100s on the real currency paper. Apparently the newer security features like embedded threads and watermarks have made that technique obsolete.

Last edited by Bob001; 7th April 2021 at 10:43 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 10:43 PM   #699
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Well, there's an argument to be made that a teenage clerk's opinion shouldn't be enough to arrest somebody. He's not a currency examiner, and neither are the cops. In fact, how could the cops really be sure the clerk didn't switch bills (maybe not likely, but enough to raise doubts), or he was mistaken about who gave him the bill? If the clerk and the store accepted it, maybe they should eat it.

There's also an argument that the store should provide clerks with currency pens if counterfeits are a problem.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/browse...ns/N=5+573547/

Last edited by Bob001; 7th April 2021 at 10:47 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 11:15 PM   #700
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

None of my comments should be taken to excuse what happened when the cops got there. I was following the discussion about the clerk suspecting the bill Floyd used was fake.

To claim: "that a teenage clerk's opinion shouldn't be enough to arrest somebody" is also not relevant. He didn't call the cops on his own, he asked the manager to intervene.

The manager had every right to call the cops. Even if the kid was the only one there, calling the cops was reasonable. One would assume the police would handle it properly. That is where the sole blame belongs here.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th April 2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old 8th April 2021, 12:44 AM   #701
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I believe they entered into a mindset of "this individual definitely needs to be detained and possibly arrested" after coming on scene, finding him behaving erratically and not keeping his hands visible, acting like he was strung out on drugs, and after they spoke with the other individuals who'd been in the car with him.

If they'd shown up and found a sober, calm man who said "officer, I'm terribly sorry, I had no idea it was a fake $20. I will of course immediately remedy the situation with the merchant inside." - then I'm thinking he wouldn't have been arrested.

When they were called, they were told he'd already refused to remedy the situation and may have been told by the young man behind the counter that he seemed high as well, not sure on that.

Cops cannot let someone who appears to be impaired drive off, it's a danger to the public.
As per usual, you have no idea what you are talking about. The defendant told his victim and he was being arrested for forgery (which isn't even the right crime). If they were concerned about his being on drugs, why didn't they take him for D&D or just do a civil hold for detox?

Last edited by Craig4; 8th April 2021 at 12:49 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 12:46 AM   #702
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The defense attorney played a clip today during which, he asserts, Floyd says "I ate too many drugs"

I can't say with 100% certainty that it is what Floyd says during that segment, but it sounds like a reasonable interpretation of what I heard there.
Perhaps you could show us when the officers attempted to determine what drugs he did and when they produced their NARCAN nasal spray to treat him for his overdose.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 01:05 AM   #703
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
As per usual, you have no idea what you are talking about. The defendant told his victim and he was being arrested for forgery (which isn't even the right crime). If they were concerned about his being on drugs, why didn't they take him for D&D or just do a civil hold for detox?
Just as a side note, cops don't always know what they are going to charge someone for, they don't have the law memorized in that kind of detail. Had they taken Floyd in a filed a counterfeiting charge, eventually the actual charges that go in front of a judge are determined by the DA.

I learned this watching the cops I was working for. They do end up filing some charges even if wrong. Once I saw them consulting with the sergeant in command if they could file a weapons charge against a suspect they had in custody. The consensus was they could not, no one could find a specific law to charge the guy with and they let him go.

It's likely they would have charged Floyd with possessing and using counterfeit money, not making the $20 bills.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th April 2021 at 01:07 AM.
Old 8th April 2021, 01:20 AM   #704
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
**** that noise. In Afghanistan I couldn't pull my gun on an actual member of the Taliban screaming "I'm going to kill you, Yes you!" until he drew his weapon to the ready position, and had filed "Intent to Attack" forms in triplicate with the local Taliban Office 3 weeks in advance and had given me a copy of his new book "How I Intend to Attack and Kill You" to read beforehand.

Expecting a police force to interact with the citizenry they are ostensibly there to protect with an ROE at least as restrictive as what I had to follow in open combat with a declared enemy isn't crazy.
You're wrong here. Cops as a matter of course approach a vehicle with guns drawn. Approaching a car is often the time cops get shot. I don't think they were wrong there, they didn't know what to expect.

Maybe when they pull Mary Sue over for speeding they don't. But I don't see that particular action to be problematic.
Old 8th April 2021, 01:31 AM   #705
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
As mentioned above me, the cashier did accept the bill and Floyd did leave with a pack of cigarettes and, I believe, a banana. He then refused to come back into the store when confronted about it. Initially the cashier was just going to eat the $20 and pay for it himself.

Yup, my guess is that the prosecution will acknowledge that all of this is accurate, but that the 3 ng/ml is for a first time user. They put his girlfriend on the stand, I believe, to show that Floyd had a history of drug use. His body had a tolerance and what would kill a first time user wasn't applicable to Floyd.
That’s really nothing but the “eggshell skull” defence and from what I understand (what I was told early in the thread) it is the same in the USA as it is in the UK, i.e. the criminal must "take their victims as they find them". Whether he was more vulnerable to being killed because of his drug use or not is a red herring.
Old 8th April 2021, 01:33 AM   #706
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The defense attorney got the witness to agree with the interpretation of "I ate too many drugs."

I find it highly problematic for anyone to suggest he actually said "I ain't do any drugs" for the following reasons:

1.) It is a stereotypical "black vernacular" as white racist KKK people might imagine it. It implies that strong African American men such as George Floyd are not capable of speaking correctly. This is incredibly insulting.

2.) It would paint George Floyd as a liar, thus impugning his character. We know he had a substantial amount of drugs in his system, and drugs with his saliva on them were found in the vehicle.
You think he was lying about being murdered?

Because that is the only lie that would have any bearing on the trial.
Old 8th April 2021, 01:39 AM   #707
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

…snip…

Am I supposed to shut down the pattern recognition my brain is literally evolved over billions of years to do, as one of its primary functions?
…snip…
If you want accuracy and actual facts - yes you do because that ability is notoriously bad at both determining accuracy and the facts, that’s why it took us so long to develop a system that tries to reduce its influence when we try to make accurate theories and models about the world or as we call it today - science.
Old 8th April 2021, 01:40 AM   #708
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You're wrong here. Cops as a matter of course approach a vehicle with guns drawn. Approaching a car is often the time cops get shot. I don't think they were wrong there, they didn't know what to expect.

Maybe when they pull Mary Sue over for speeding they don't. But I don't see that particular action to be problematic.
Even in the USA I don’t think that is true.
Old 8th April 2021, 01:42 AM   #709
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Just as a side note, cops don't always know what they are going to charge someone for, they don't have the law memorized in that kind of detail. …snip…
Charging and arresting someone are different things. Certainly in my country the police have to state why they are arresting you.
Old 8th April 2021, 02:47 AM   #710
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You are correct. It is 100% not true.
Old 8th April 2021, 05:24 AM   #711
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again, louder this time, **** all that noise.

The pizza guy doesn't get to come to my house with my Pepperoni and Green Peppers Thin Crust with a gun at the ready position and he's statistically far more likely to die then Chauvin was. When I go into my local convenience store for a Dr. Pepper me and the clerk don't hold guns on each other and slowly back away when the transaction is over and again, that's a much more statistically dangerous situation then "beat cop."

Being a cop isn't that dangerous. It doesn't even crack the top 10 of most dangerous occupations. Cops use the whole "My life is on the line everyday" mythology to go into every interaction assuming the citizenry they are there are to protect are inherently violent, which makes them "fear for their lives".... so they murder them.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th April 2021 at 05:45 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 05:42 AM   #712
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I didn't mean every single time. But certainly in these circumstances.

FBI Releases 2019 Statistics on Law Enforcement Officers Killed in the Line of Duty
Quote:
Circumstances. Of the 48 officers feloniously killed:

6 were conducting traffic violation stops
These were cops who got shot. There are more who were hit by other vehicles.

While that may not seem like a lot, it is the tip of the iceberg given the cops aren't killed every time they approach a vehicle. And of all the police who died by gunfire, it was the most common.

POLICE TACTICS & TECHNIQUES - Vehicle Control - High risk vehicle stops Power Point presentation
Quote:
The officers should quickly take position using their vehicle as cover and drawing their weapons in the ready position. ...
By using their vehicle for cover they mean cover from oncoming traffic.

Quote:
The protection and the control elements should approach the suspect vehicle from the rear with their weapons in the high ready position, watching the suspect vehicle ...

When opening the trunk/boot the officers should stand to the side of the vehicle and cover it with their weapons in the ready position in case there are any more suspects hiding inside. Officers should never stand directly in front of the trunk/boot when opening it....

Slides 30 to 32 illustrate the case of the control of a vehicle with potentially dangerous occupants on board.
The police officers are progressing with their weapons, C and D moving from both sides of the vehicle.
I fail to see how having the gun drawn has any racist or other meaning.
Old 8th April 2021, 05:55 AM   #713
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Actually, I don't think that is true of American banknotes. Once they get really old and worn (as in ready to be pulled from circulation) they can fee very much like "old paper", flaccid with no crispness. How do I know this? Because I worked for six months as a bartender in the "O Club" at the US Navy USARP Base in Christchurch where VXE6 was stationed. American money all looks the same across the denominations; all the same size and colour from $1 to $100 bills, and in the dim light of the bar area, it was damned hard to see them clearly. Someone could have passed a shade bill and I probably wouldn't have noticed.
Our local secret service office said that most of the counterfeit bills they see are low quality. They get passed in dark bars on busy nights. The SS recommendation is to install a small black light next to the cash register. The security strip in the bills is fluorescent and a different color for each denomination.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 06:23 AM   #714
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

No that does not make it cloth, it is rag paper, more expensive than the wood fiber variety but also more traditional.

https://www.wbmason.com/ProductDetai...hoCBpIQAvD_BwE

A source for rag paper for you to print important documents on.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 06:28 AM   #715
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yea they are way more dangerous than the military, why it is almost as dangerous as trash collecting!

And makes it handy to shoot black people with cell phones when one is called about a car with its motor running.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 06:28 AM   #716
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Depends on the race of the driver of course.
Old 8th April 2021, 06:55 AM   #717
plague311
Great minds think...

I didn't mean every single time. But certainly in these circumstances.
In what circumstances? A man was sitting in his car, completely unarmed, after having committed the most minor criminal offense (which might not even be a criminal offense had he not known it was counterfeit), and at no point in time had he become violent anywhere. Defiant? Sure, but never violent. He never pushed anyone, I didn't even hear him raise his voice until a cop with a gun in his face walked up to the car.

Also, you're quoting from high risk traffic stops. This wasn't a high risk traffic stop. With the benefit if hindsight we even get to see that the only person that got hurt was the only one without a gun. This wasn't on a highway, or an interstate and they chose to be in the street. They could have moved Floyd any time, in fact, it would have saved his life.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 07:18 AM   #718
plague311
Great minds think...

Sounds like ME's are starting today.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 07:21 AM   #719
plague311
Great minds think...

Dr. Martin Tobin will be the first to take the stand. He's out of Chicago and I believe he's an expert pulmonology.

Old 8th April 2021, 07:49 AM   #720
plague311
Great minds think...

The Dr. just clarified that whether the knee was on the neck or pushed into the back the effects on breathing are "extremely similar."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors