IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Derek Chauvin , George Floyd , murder cases , police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 31st March 2021, 11:40 AM   #281
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
He knew EXACTLY what would happen since he did it to another male almost exactly the same physical make up as Floyd.
So, if he "knew exactly what would happen" then I take it that individual died also?

Oh, no. I just looked it up. 17 minutes in that case, and the person didn't die.

In other words, Chauvin expected Floyd to survive what he was doing to him.

Well that and his wife is leaving him because he's a piece of **** that murdered someone, but your story is cool too.
Would she have left him had this incident never happened? Probably not.

Folks are doing exactly what they did to Zimmerman. Destroy his life with insane levels of negative attention and putting him through a show trial, and then point at the fallout of that in his life as evidence he was always an awful person.

When something like this happens to someone, their life falls apart. One among many good reasons not to do this to someone.
Old 31st March 2021, 11:40 AM   #282
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

No, that's not the way it works. If I steal a $20 bill and it turns out to be fake, I still committed a crime by stealing it. My ignorance doesn't excuse the crime.
One commentator said it would only be a misdemeanor in Minnesota. The cops could have handed Floyd a citation and sent him on his way. They didn't even have to arrest him. And there is only the word of a teenage clerk that Floyd handed him a counterfeit bill. The cops had no way to know whether it really was, or where it came from. This is a questionable arrest, let alone killing.

Last edited by Bob001; 31st March 2021 at 11:50 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 11:42 AM   #283
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post

Folks are doing exactly what they did to Zimmerman.

I don't want to jinx it, but I'd say we're doing a far better job. With any luck Chauvin will be attempting to kill himself in prison within the year.
Old 31st March 2021, 11:43 AM   #284
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

No, that's not the way it works. If I steal a $20 bill and it turns out to be fake, I still committed a crime by stealing it. My ignorance doesn't excuse the crime.

Also, he was told it was fake multiple times and did nothing to rectify the situation. He didn't deserve to die, but please don't excuse the criminal actions Floyd did make.
But was that before or after it was accepted? But yes clearly refusing takebacksies is a crime. Like buying something that had a miss labeled price.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 11:44 AM   #285
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 11:45 AM   #286
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

His wife is actually divorcing him, changing her name, and taking the titles to both homes over the whole thing. Which is the right thing to do.

When you say it's "the right thing to do", do you mean that it's morally the right thing to do?

Or do you mean that it's financially the right thing to do? Because that's almost certainly what's driving all of this: whether he's convicted or acquitted, Chauvin is likely to face 1) a fair amount of legal costs, and 2) (and much more financially significant) a civil suit from Floyd's family for many millions of dollars. If he's divorced from his wife, and if his wife has legal title to those assets, then those assets will be untouchable wrt demands for legal fees or court orders to pay any damages awarded to Floyd's family in a successful civil suit.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 11:46 AM   #287
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I cannot imagine what sort of mindset leads someone to be ravenously excited to see a police officer, someone who voluntarily went out and dealt with the most dangerous, roughest elements of our society - for the sake of all of our ability to conduct safe lives --- end up in prison, and not just in prison, but in prison for as long as possible, suffering as much as possible.

We endow cops with extraordinary power -- literally the power of life and death -- and we require them to use it responsibly. When they don't, we need to hold them accountable. A badge isn't a blank check.

And police work isn't even among the top 10 most dangerous jobs. If it's okay for cops to kill people when they get scared, maybe taxi drivers, truck drivers and 7-11 clerks should get the same privilege.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 11:46 AM   #288
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
When you say it's "the right thing to do", do you mean that it's morally the right thing to do?

Or do you mean that it's financially the right thing to do? Because that's almost certainly what's driving all of this: whether he's convicted or acquitted, Chauvin is likely to face 1) a fair amount of legal costs, and 2) (and much more financially significant) a civil suit from Floyd's family for many millions of dollars. If he's divorced from his wife, and if his wife has legal title to those assets, then those assets will be untouchable wrt demands for legal fees or court orders to pay any damages awarded to Floyd's family in a successful civil suit.
Is that the case? Whatever tort Chauvin committed occurred while they were married. Would divorce after the fact really shield these assets?
Old 31st March 2021, 11:47 AM   #289
plague311
Great minds think...

So, if he "knew exactly what would happen" then I take it that individual died also?

Oh, no. I just looked it up. 17 minutes in that case, and the person didn't die.

In other words, Chauvin expected Floyd to survive what he was doing to him.
No kidding?

Quote:
Prosecutors say the body camera footage showed Chauvin was kneeling on the 14-year-old boy’s back for a total of 17 minutes despite repeated requests by the teenager to turn him on his back because he couldn’t breathe.
Did you know that the neck is not the back? Glad I could help. The point of the link was to show he has issues with kneeling on people, and those people not being able to breath. He also struck that kid in the head with a flashlight twice.

Would she have left him had this incident never happened? Probably not.
I don't care. Sounds like his ass shouldn't have killed someone if he wanted to stay married, eh?

Folks are doing exactly what they did to Zimmerman. Destroy his life with insane levels of negative attention and putting him through a show trial, and then point at the fallout of that in his life as evidence he was always an awful person.
Yeah, Zimmerman is so wrecked that he travels the country signing bags of Skittles. How will he ever manage?

When something like this happens to someone, their life falls apart. One among many good reasons not to do this to someone.
I hope Chauvin's life falls apart even further, as I mentioned. Nothing I said changes.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 31st March 2021 at 11:52 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 11:48 AM   #290
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Numerous commentators have observed that the divorce is a way to protect the family assets. It's impossible to believe the wife didn't know what Chauvin was before she saw that video.
Old 31st March 2021, 11:49 AM   #291
plague311
Great minds think...

Or do you mean that it's financially the right thing to do?
Yes.

For her, both of those are correct. It's her best chance at hanging on to any money. After all, she didn't commit this crime. She only committed tax fraud. Also, divorcing a murderer is always the right thing to do.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 11:52 AM   #292
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't want to jinx it, but I'd say we're doing a far better job. With any luck Chauvin will be attempting to kill himself in prison within the year.

Holy Moly. Maybe if (well, when) he's convicted, he should be sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered in the middle of George Floyd Square in Minneapolis, with the public buying tickets to the event and being able to purchase commemorative bags of stones to throw at him.

LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 11:54 AM   #293
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Holy Moly. Maybe if (well, when) he's convicted, he should be sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered in the middle of George Floyd Square in Minneapolis, with the public buying tickets to the event and being able to purchase commemorative bags of stones to throw at him.

Ah yes the inevitable "Oh now wait don't get too bloodthirsty to the racist murderer" stage of the discussion begins.

Yes because that's the problem that deserves your attention.

Why does this always after that a board's resident racist comes into the thread to get everyone worked up, we get one mother hen in here to take us to task.

Why did you stay quiet for Skeptic Tank's racism but you had to jump up and run in like someone put up the Bat Signal the second the response to him crossed a line?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 31st March 2021 at 11:55 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 11:54 AM   #294
plague311
Great minds think...

I mean, if you can make that happen...

How is it any worse than what he did to Floyd? I'm not saying he should be killed, but if he dies in prison I certainly won't lose a fraction of the amount of sleep the people who witnessed this murder, and apparently a juror, have lost.

Old 31st March 2021, 11:55 AM   #295
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It's entirely possible that he simply thought "this restraint technique isn't harming him, he's ODing, where the hell are the EMTs?" and never intended any harm to Floyd, and is possibly convinced to this day that he played no significant role in Floyd's death. Again, he MAY BE 100% CORRECT IN THAT.
Why do you keep insisting on this? The police themselves have said this isn't any technique they teach or condone. And why wouldn't a "restraint technique" be released after the subject is restrained?

And if the cops believed that he was having a drug reaction, they did nothing to help him, even when a city EMT tried to step in. The cops may not literally have intended to kill Floyd, but that is unquestionably the result of their conduct.
Old 31st March 2021, 11:56 AM   #296
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm wonder why Skeptic Tank thinks Chauvin let Floyd up at all and isn't still, to this stay, in that exact spot with his knee on the Floyd's at this point mostly decomposed body.
Old 31st March 2021, 11:56 AM   #297
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

I have been watching. They showed footage of the cops body-cam, and heard Floyd saying over and over that he couldn't breathe.

Simply, it makes me feel like crying.
Old 31st March 2021, 11:58 AM   #298
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Is that the case? Whatever tort Chauvin committed occurred while they were married. Would divorce after the fact really shield these assets?
Probably. Creditors could only seize what he owns, not what he used to own. That would be different from trying to conceal assets after a suit is filed or a judgment is reached.
Old 31st March 2021, 11:59 AM   #299
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

You've chastened me. I don't want anything bad to happen to Chauvin.

We should have him on 24/7 suicide watch for the duration of his prison term to make sure nothing bad happens to him. Take his shoelaces and his bedsheets while he spends his time in solitary under 24hr observation with the lights on.

We can't be too careful.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:00 PM   #300
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.

For her, both of those are correct. It's her best chance at hanging on to any money. After all, she didn't commit this crime. She only committed tax fraud. Also, divorcing a murderer is always the right thing to do.

I would imagine that by far the primary motivation for these actions is protection of assets.

If she was divorcing him on moral grounds, he should (would) obviously have fought for a proper splitting of the assets. He then could (would) have transferred ownership of those assets to somebody like a family member or very close friend.

So I'd argue that the very fact that Chauvin has (apparently) willingly handed over his own share to his wife in the divorce...... tends to imply quite heavily that he's still in cahoots with his wife - and she with him, Unless, that is, she decides to welch on the deal and walk away with everything.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:01 PM   #301
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Probably. Creditors could only seize what he owns, not what he used to own. That would be different from trying to conceal assets after a suit is filed or a judgment is reached.
I wonder if the divorce will be finalized or if it will be on hold. I would think that they wouldn't let his assets be forfeit or a divorce finalized until this is all over.

Old 31st March 2021, 12:02 PM   #302
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Chauvin getting divorced is really neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:02 PM   #303
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, if you can make that happen...

How is it any worse than what he did to Floyd? I'm not saying he should be killed, but if he dies in prison I certainly won't lose a fraction of the amount of sleep the people who witnessed this murder, and apparently a juror, have lost.

It's great to see that good old-fashioned Biblical vengeance is still alive and well in the 21st Century.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:03 PM   #304
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

They fulfilled their duty of care by restraining him so he couldn't harm himself or others, and then calling for a medical unit and also calling back to "step it up" and ask for the fastest medical unit response.
They failed, since he died and the post mortem evidences the death was due to the way he was restrained.

Quote:
It's a shame that he took a fatal amount of drugs
Where is the evidence of that?

Quote:
, lived a criminal lifestyle,
You dodged my earlier point that cops cannot assume someone is healthy and therefore fit to be restrained for a prolonged period.

Quote:
that a crowd distracted the officers from their job,
You dodged my point that arrests attract bystanders and it is not a distraction. Cops are perfectly capable of multi-tasking, especially when there are four of them.

Quote:
and that the medical unit arrived slowly.
What is the standard response time and how does it compare to this incident?

Quote:
Hard to argue that him dying is any great loss to society, though - based on what we know of his life and rap sheet.

Officer Chauvin being fired and potentially being imprisoned is a far greater loss for society. He was an actual contributing member of society who was acting in a capacity which increased order and safety, whereas Floyd had taken on a life pattern of increasing chaos and danger for others.
Would US society be improved by a police force that summarily executes all criminals?
Old 31st March 2021, 12:03 PM   #305
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Hard to argue that him dying is any great loss to society, though - based on what we know of his life and rap sheet.

Officer Chauvin being fired and potentially being imprisoned is a far greater loss for society. He was an actual contributing member of society who was acting in a capacity which increased order and safety, whereas Floyd had taken on a life pattern of increasing chaos and danger for others.
Is that how justice is determined, by the relative human worth of the parties involved? No need to consider the specifics of the law, let's just figure out who's the officially better person and call it that way.

I'm still waiting to hear if you consider the hold "by the book" and what information you have contradictory to the statement that it was not.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 12:03 PM   #306
plague311
Great minds think...

I would imagine that by far the primary motivation for these actions is protection of assets.

If she was divorcing him on moral grounds, he should (would) obviously have fought for a proper splitting of the assets. He then could (would) have transferred ownership of those assets to somebody like a family member or very close friend.
Again, that's just not the way it works. If it were every single person being sued or in legal trouble would do this exact thing. They would just stay any decision until this is all done.

So I'd argue that the very fact that Chauvin has (apparently) willingly handed over his own share to his wife in the divorce...... tends to imply quite heavily that he's still in cahoots with his wife - and she with him, Unless, that is, she decides to welch on the deal and walk away with everything.
The divorce, as far as I can tell, hasn't been finalized and she initiated the divorce the day after he got charged. She hasn't received anything.

Old 31st March 2021, 12:04 PM   #307
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's great to see that good old-fashioned Biblical vengeance is still alive and well in the 21st Century.
I'd like an answer to why someone saying that Chauvin should be killed triggered this hissy fit from you but you stayed silent while Skeptic Tank repeatatly said Chauvin was correct to kill Floyd.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:05 PM   #308
plague311
Great minds think...

You can save all this nonsense for someone else. I already said he shouldn't be killed. When you're ready to climb off your moral high horse, let me know. I can maybe grab you step stool or something.

Old 31st March 2021, 12:06 PM   #309
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Chauvin getting divorced is really neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned.

Well I suspect that to Floyd's family - given that nothing can bring him back, and given that it's extremely likely that Chauvin will be convicted - it may turn out to be rather more than "neither here nor there" wrt any civil suit.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:06 PM   #310
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I have been watching. They showed footage of the cops body-cam, and heard Floyd saying over and over that he couldn't breathe.

Simply, it makes me feel like crying.
At a point in the event where he had not had anything done to him yet, besides being cuffed and asked politely to please get in the back seat of the police vehicle, he's already blubbering, wailing, claiming he can't breathe, and saying he's dying, calling out for his mamma, etc.

These are not the actions of a dignified, adult male contributor to society.

These are the actions of a clownish, buffoonish, drug addled manchild who is trying absolutely everything he can to avoid facing consequences for his serial criminality. He did it the year before, too.

Sadly, for him, one of the actions he was prepared to take to avoid accountability, both in May 2019 and May 2020, was to swallow his drug stash to avoid being caught with it. It nearly killed him in 2019, but he had the sense to admit what he'd done that time.

It *did* kill him in 2020.

And society is somehow still trying to figure out how to adjust to getting by without George Floyd preying upon it.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:07 PM   #311
plague311
Great minds think...

Well I suspect that to Floyd's family - given that nothing can bring him back, and given that it's extremely likely that Chauvin will be convicted - it may turn out to be rather more than "neither here nor there" wrt any civil suit.
The family has received $27mm in a settlement from the state.

Old 31st March 2021, 12:08 PM   #312
plague311
Great minds think...

Holy ****, the video they're playing shows the witness on the stand say "just get up and get in the car" to Floyd and Floyd openly said, "I will". Then some more talk about he can't get up, etc.

Old 31st March 2021, 12:08 PM   #313
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Deepest pockets remain the city of Minneapolis, which have already settled with the family for a substantial amount.

Suing Chauvin has probably more to do with justice than actual monetary damages. My hope that it won't really be necessary because he's facing a more significant criminal conviction, but I suppose it's fun to bounce the rubble.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:09 PM   #314
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

They fulfilled their duty of care by restraining him so he couldn't harm himself or others, and then calling for a medical unit and also calling back to "step it up" and ask for the fastest medical unit response.
Even that is questionable. The EMT testified that it is standard practice for firefighter/EMTs to respond to a medical 911 call before an ambulance. She said her "house" was three blocks away, and other fire stations were close. She said if this was treated as a medical emergency, firefighters would have arrived in seconds. But no fire truck ever arrived.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:12 PM   #315
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Even that is questionable. The EMT testified that it is standard practice for firefighter/EMTs to respond to a medical 911 call before an ambulance. She said her "house" was three blocks away, and other fire stations were close. She said if this was treated as a medical emergency, firefighters would have arrived in seconds. But no fire truck ever arrived.
She also testified that it is dispatch who determines what sort of medical team to send (EMT, firefighters, both, etc.) - not the officers who call dispatch.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:13 PM   #316
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Harrowing. Floyd can be heard saying over and over, 'I can't breathe', and 'Mama, Mama'.

The witness burst into tears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-03-31 (22).jpg (28.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-03-31 (24).jpg (29.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-03-31 (25).jpg (12.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-03-31 (26).jpg (16.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-03-31 (27).jpg (19.4 KB, 3 views)

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 12:13 PM   #317
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

These are not the actions of a dignified, adult male contributor to society.
So ******* what?

1. Not being a dignified, adult, male contributor to society isn't a crime.
2. Random beat cops wouldn't be the ones making that call even if #1 where true.
3. Murderers are even less contributing members of society.
4. Just learn to spell "I like Eugenics" it will make your racists screeds take up less space.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:14 PM   #318
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

At a point in the event where he had not had anything done to him yet, besides being cuffed and asked politely to please get in the back seat of the police vehicle, he's already blubbering, wailing, claiming he can't breathe, and saying he's dying, calling out for his mamma, etc.
He explicitly said he had claustrophobia, and the cops believed he was on drugs. That's more indication that they were dealing with a medical emergency, not a resisting criminal. It is beyond disgusting that you think killing him is okay.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:15 PM   #319
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He explicitly said he had claustrophobia, and the cops believed he was on drugs. That's more indication that they were dealing with a medical emergency, not a resisting criminal. It is beyond disgusting that you think killing him is okay.
But the people being being too mean to Chauvin are the ones wanting "Biblical Justice" and deserve to be hen pecked about it, let us not forget.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:15 PM   #320
plague311
Great minds think...

Apparently Chauvin was so concerned with the crowd and their actions, that he stuck around afterwards for a period of time interacting with people from said crowd. Tough sell on the whole "he was scurred" crowd.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors