IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 22nd March 2021, 04:32 AM   #41
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,246
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It has not gone unnoticed that none of the forum's usual suspects or other assorted Trump sycophants have shown up in this thread to defend this disgrace. Perhaps even they realize this is indefensible, or perhaps they cannot bring themselves to criticise their tribe.

Shame, really. I would enjoy watching them have to twist themselves into pretzels as they attempt to justify the the unjustifiable.
They were out in force when the first round of oppression tactics were employed, I.e. ID requirements. They were all too happy to whitesplain how it wasn’t really a hinderance. I think Mumbles reply below demonstrates the bankruptcy of the arguments then.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=116

This tactic is much more indefensible since you can’t even claim it prevents the GOP’s mythical “voter fraud”, but it helps their side so while you won’t see them defending it, you won’t see them condemning it either. They are probably just waiting for the furor to die down and happily let the Trump stacked courts rubber stamp reject any lawsuits against it.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 05:11 AM   #42
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,491
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It has not gone unnoticed that none of the forum's usual suspects or other assorted Trump sycophants have shown up in this thread to defend this disgrace. Perhaps even they realize this is indefensible, or perhaps they cannot bring themselves to criticise their tribe.
Don't kid yourself. Those cowards are just hiding in the shadows waiting for a "whataboutadda" or for someone to be "dramatic" before slithering out to troll.
__________________
Yahtzee: "You're doing that thing again where when asked a question you just discuss the philosophy of the question instead of answering the bloody question."
Gabriel: "Well yeah, you see..."
Yahtzee: "No. When you are asked a Yes or No question the first word out of your mouth needs to be Yes or No. Only after that have you earned the right to elaborate."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:15 AM   #43
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,220
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It has not gone unnoticed that none of the forum's usual suspects or other assorted Trump sycophants have shown up in this thread to defend this disgrace. Perhaps even they realize this is indefensible, or perhaps they cannot bring themselves to criticise their tribe.

Shame, really. I would enjoy watching them have to twist themselves into pretzels as they attempt to justify the the unjustifiable.
That's because this is really hurting the narrative they are trying to sell of "we are just trying to eliminate voter fraud by requiring IDs"

And if it is just about trying to require IDs, then why laws about handing out water to voters standing in line?

Democrats: Republicans are trying to make it harder to vote
Republicans: Yeah, we are just trying to make sure only the people eligible to vote are doing it
Democrats: The people standing in long lines to vote in Georgia are ineligible voters?
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 02:44 AM   #44
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 31,614
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
That's because this is really hurting the narrative they are trying to sell of "we are just trying to eliminate voter fraud by requiring IDs"

And if it is just about trying to require IDs, then why laws about handing out water to voters standing in line?

Democrats: Republicans are trying to make it harder to vote
Republicans: Yeah, we are just trying to make sure only the people eligible to vote are doing it
Democrats: The people standing in long lines to vote in Georgia are ineligible voters?
Republicans: The ones planning to vote Democrat likely are
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:15 PM   #45
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,375
Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I was shocked to see a pic of a 2020 voting station in one of the ultra wealthy, very GOP, enclaves near Beverly Hills, CA.
There was food and drink for the folks to nibble on... looked like a freaking banquet.
I'd guess the local chamber of congress dropped at least $60,000 on the catering.
That won't be happening in Georgia.

Originally Posted by smartcooky
It has not gone unnoticed that none of the forum's usual suspects or other assorted Trump sycophants have shown up in this thread to defend this disgrace. Perhaps even they realize this is indefensible, or perhaps they cannot bring themselves to criticise their tribe.

Shame, really. I would enjoy watching them have to twist themselves into pretzels as they attempt to justify the the unjustifiable.
I am not a 'Trump sycophant', but I will defend this measure. There should be no opportunity for inducement or the appearance of such. Voting is a very personal thing for me. When I am waiting to vote I don't want interference from anyone, even if they pretend to just be providing water or food.

Allow this interaction and the next thing you know Trump will be financing it and advertising the fact, giving voters a not too subtle reminder that he is their benefactor - just like he did with the 'stimulus' checks. Would you want that? You know that when something is legal the Deplorables will find some way to turn it to their advantage, and there will be nothing you can do about it because they aren't breaking any laws.

Voters should should be shielded from intimidation or inducements of any kind, including those that look innocuous on the surface. If this means people have to bring their own food and drink then it is unfortunate, but necessary to prevent abuse.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:28 PM   #46
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,953
Yes, I'm sure this law will be equally enforced at all polling stations, amongst all voters.

I can't possibly imagine a scenario where law enforcement might use such a ridiculous law as an opportunity for somewhat "selective" enforcement.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:33 PM   #47
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,929
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
That won't be happening in Georgia.

I am not a 'Trump sycophant', but I will defend this measure. There should be no opportunity for inducement or the appearance of such. Voting is a very personal thing for me. When I am waiting to vote I don't want interference from anyone, even if they pretend to just be providing water or food.

Allow this interaction and the next thing you know Trump will be financing it and advertising the fact, giving voters a not too subtle reminder that he is their benefactor - just like he did with the 'stimulus' checks. Would you want that? You know that when something is legal the Deplorables will find some way to turn it to their advantage, and there will be nothing you can do about it because they aren't breaking any laws.

Voters should should be shielded from intimidation or inducements of any kind, including those that look innocuous on the surface. If this means people have to bring their own food and drink then it is unfortunate, but necessary to prevent abuse.
You have no idea how happy I would be to eat and drink knowing that the GOP had funded the feast at my local polling place.

I think it could be very simple to mandate that any food or drink offered must be offered without condition to all voters. Put the Orange One on that water bottle and watch me drink them down as fast as they hand em out.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:30 PM   #48
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,186
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Allow this interaction and the next thing you know Trump will be financing it and advertising the fact, giving voters a not too subtle reminder that he is their benefactor - just like he did with the 'stimulus' checks. Would you want that? You know that when something is legal the Deplorables will find some way to turn it to their advantage, and there will be nothing you can do about it because they aren't breaking any laws.

Voters should should be shielded from intimidation or inducements of any kind, including those that look innocuous on the surface. If this means people have to bring their own food and drink then it is unfortunate, but necessary to prevent abuse.
And yet this is a problem in literally NO other civilized country in the world; the Aussies have a sausage sizzle, we have polling day parties.

In the USA, even in mid-sized towns, you have situations where people have to queue for over TEN HOURS to vote.... TEN HOURS!!!!. Any electoral system where this is happening is severely broken. Are you really suggesting that people should come to the polls ready equipped with three meals, and if they do not, they must go without food or water all day, and that anyone else who shares with them is committing a criminal offense? This is the price you would have people pay to participate in their democracy?

I have so far voted in 15 national elections in my lifetime, including when I was living in Auckland, our biggest city. I have never, ever waited more than five minutes to cast my vote... ever.

Yeah, I know, I know, 'Murica is speshul!
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd March 2021 at 01:32 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:45 PM   #49
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,616
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Seriously? Is it also a crime to feed people in line to buy Rolling Stones concert tickets?
I think the crime is in paying people to vote.

My starting assumption is that you think it's probably a bad thing to pay people to vote, and that you're just not sure this is the right place to draw the line.

I'm sure you'll correct that assumption if it's mistaken.

I hope you will give your own ideas and suggestions about how to prohibit paying people to vote while still allowing them to receive some things of value while in the process of voting.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:54 PM   #50
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,709
There is money to be made here in the production of "PLEASE DON'T FEED THE VOTERS" signs to be posted at all polling stations.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 04:27 PM   #51
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,996
I'd suggest there's a big difference between 'paying someone to vote' & 'paying someone to vote a certain way', and we're using the term 'paying' very, very loosely here, there is I think a point where a reward for voting might be a problem* but I don't see how a bottle of water is a significantly worse problem than an 'I Voted' sticker. However impartiality rules should be rigorous and stringent enforced, absolutely nothing with a implicit or implied link to any party, enforced by poll watchers in the same way that impartiality is enforced in and around polling stations.

*There's no reason why items shouldn't be limited by law, prohibiting alcohol seems perfectly reasonable for example, not that anyone is suggesting alcohol should be provided AFAIK
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 04:40 PM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,616
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I'd suggest there's a big difference between 'paying someone to vote' & 'paying someone to vote a certain way'
I'm sympathetic to this suggestion. However, I think this distinction creates a loophole: Get out the vote campaigns. You probably already know which neighborhoods are likely to pull the lever for your guy, if you can convince them to actually go to the polls. Canvassing those neighborhoods with a rallying cry of "come on down and vote; lunch is on us!" becomes problematic.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 04:54 PM   #53
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,996
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm sympathetic to this suggestion. However, I think this distinction creates a loophole: Get out the vote campaigns. You probably already know which neighborhoods are likely to pull the lever for your guy, if you can convince them to actually go to the polls. Canvassing those neighborhoods with a rallying cry of "come on down and vote; lunch is on us!" becomes problematic.
So set the limit at beverages if you like, ensure the beverage on offer is the same across the State and I've already said that anything linking the items to a political party implicit or implied should be illegal. Providing liquids to people forced to queue for extended periods really isn't a bribe, it's being civilised.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 05:00 PM   #54
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,592
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And yet this is a problem in literally NO other civilized country in the world; the Aussies have a sausage sizzle, we have polling day parties.
It should be noted that the polling place sausage sizzles are not sponsored by any political party.
They are run by/for charities.
This is not what is being discussed here. The subject is political parties handing out food/water being seen as incentives to vote and potentially incentives to vote for their party.

Australian voting laws prohibit canvassing by a political party or even displaying a badge near a polling place, basically our laws are the same as the US in the OP.

Polling place offences

Quote:
In the USA, even in mid-sized towns, you have situations where people have to queue for over TEN HOURS to vote.... TEN HOURS!!!!. Any electoral system where this is happening is severely broken. Are you really suggesting that people should come to the polls ready equipped with three meals, and if they do not, they must go without food or water all day, and that anyone else who shares with them is committing a criminal offense? This is the price you would have people pay to participate in their democracy?

I have so far voted in 15 national elections in my lifetime, including when I was living in Auckland, our biggest city. I have never, ever waited more than five minutes to cast my vote... ever.

Yeah, I know, I know, 'Murica is speshul!
And 100 x the population of NZ. That in itself poses a logistical issue for voters and then there the fact that certain electorates deliberately attempt to disenfranchise voters by just making the voting process difficult.

It is no accident that voting is difficult for some populations in the US.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 05:49 PM   #55
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,819
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
There is money to be made here in the production of "PLEASE DON'T FEED THE VOTERS" signs to be posted at all polling stations.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 06:03 PM   #56
Lurch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,666
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
It should be noted that the polling place sausage sizzles are not sponsored by any political party.
They are run by/for charities.
This is not what is being discussed here. The subject is political parties handing out food/water being seen as incentives to vote and potentially incentives to vote for their party.

Australian voting laws prohibit canvassing by a political party or even displaying a badge near a polling place, basically our laws are the same as the US in the OP.

Polling place offences

And 100 x the population of NZ. That in itself poses a logistical issue for voters and then there the fact that certain electorates deliberately attempt to disenfranchise voters by just making the voting process difficult.

It is no accident that voting is difficult for some populations in the US.
Bull pucky, and a craven cop put. If a country has 100X the population, it can as easily support 100X the 'infrastructure' to conduct elections. Would you suggest that a big city has 100X more students per class than does a town having 1/100 the population? Last I've seen, across the board, from megalopolis to village, the student to teacher ratio is not all that different. Bigger population, bigger pool to draw upon to do the work. Simple, linear relationship.

The ridiculous state of affairs in the USA around elections has sweet bugger all to do with some mythical barrier imposed by population. The inefficiencies are deliberate, because the system is a partial or pseudo democracy where power is the goal and money calls the shots. Representing the People? Pshaw!
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 07:53 PM   #57
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,592
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
It should be noted that the polling place sausage sizzles are not sponsored by any political party.
They are run by/for charities.
This is not what is being discussed here. The subject is political parties handing out food/water being seen as incentives to vote and potentially incentives to vote for their party.

Australian voting laws prohibit canvassing by a political party or even displaying a badge near a polling place, basically our laws are the same as the US in the OP.

Polling place offences

And 100 x the population of NZ. That in itself poses a logistical issue for voters and then there the fact that certain electorates deliberately attempt to disenfranchise voters by just making the voting process difficult.

It is no accident that voting is difficult for some populations in the US.
Cool rant bro.
Try reading all of the post next time.

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Bull pucky, and a craven cop put. If a country has 100X the population, it can as easily support 100X the 'infrastructure' to conduct elections. Would you suggest that a big city has 100X more students per class than does a town having 1/100 the population? Last I've seen, across the board, from megalopolis to village, the student to teacher ratio is not all that different. Bigger population, bigger pool to draw upon to do the work. Simple, linear relationship.

The ridiculous state of affairs in the USA around elections has sweet bugger all to do with some mythical barrier imposed by population. The inefficiencies are deliberate, because the system is a partial or pseudo democracy where power is the goal and money calls the shots. Representing the People? Pshaw!
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:24 PM   #58
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,186
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
It should be noted that the polling place sausage sizzles are not sponsored by any political party.
They are run by/for charities.
This is not what is being discussed here. The subject is political parties handing out food/water being seen as incentives to vote and potentially incentives to vote for their party.
Utter bollocks

The Georgia law makes it illegal for ANYONE, whether they are with a charity or a non-partisan public service organisation, to hand a water or a snack to someone in a polling line. They are criminalizing acts of kindness and human decency (which should come a no surprise from Repugnicans).

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Australian voting laws prohibit canvassing by a political party or even displaying a badge near a polling place, basically our laws are the same as the US in the OP.

Polling place offences
Interesting, and true, but irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
And 100 x the population of NZ.
68 times actually, but again irrelevant.

These long queues are not happening so much in the big cities like New York and Los Angeles, they are happening is small towns like Dodge City KS - population 27,500 - where, in the 2018 mid terms, one district of 13,700 people had ONE, repeat ONE polling station, and it was positioned miles out of town. For reference, the town in which I live, Nelson, has a population of 52,900 - just over twice the size of Dodge City KS. In the 2020 General Election, we had 33 polling stations set up in school halls, community centres, city-centre street corners, libraries, churches, shopping malls, the court house. No-one in Nelson, even in the 'burbs, is more than a 15 minute walk from a polling station.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ooth-locations
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:34 PM   #59
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,866
If providing food is such a problem, just give each voter $20, with an extra $50 for every additional half hour they had to wait to vote.
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:37 PM   #60
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,819
Re these atrociously long lines at polling stations, that tactic was brought to us by Ken Blackwell in Ohio who was first to use the tactic to suppress the Democratic votes there during GW's election.

Don't anyone kid themselves that this has anything to do with 'infrastructure' except the manufactured problem kind.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 23rd March 2021 at 08:38 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:06 PM   #61
Modified
Philosopher
 
Modified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,928
It seems the issue is providing food or snacks that incentivize voting. The easy solution is to limit the snacks provided to Wheat Thins and prune juice.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:12 PM   #62
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 9,156
Originally Posted by Modified View Post
It seems the issue is providing food or snacks that incentivize voting. The easy solution is to limit the snacks provided to Wheat Thins and prune juice.
The solution is to make voting fast and secure, so there are no waiting lines at all. Then nobody needs to be fed or watered.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 12:18 AM   #63
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,186
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The solution is to make voting fast and secure, so there are no waiting lines at all. Then nobody needs to be fed or watered.
Remember of course, that in Republican-controlled states, long voter lines, limited polling places, limited ballot drop off boxes. limited absentee voting and no mail-in voting are not bugs, they are features!
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 01:08 AM   #64
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 9,156
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Remember of course, that in Republican-controlled states, long voter lines, limited polling places, limited ballot drop off boxes. limited absentee voting and no mail-in voting are not bugs, they are features!
Well, duh. Guess who will be first up against the wall.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 04:37 AM   #65
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Every single polling place I've been in has had a water fountain somewhere in the building. Functionally what is the difference between providing a water fountain vs a bottle of water with regards to gift giving? Both are providing water to voters.

Yes, as someone who has had the pleasure of long waits in lines I realize that the water fountain is not nearly as accessible because you can't get there until either just before or more likely just after you voted. This shows me that the bottle of water is not really an incentive for anything but being able to stay in line longer. These laws clearly are aimed at reducing voting.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 01:43 PM   #66
Ryokan
Insert something funny here
 
Ryokan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 10,430
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This seems to be limited to certain States and sometimes to specific locations in those states.. I've been voting for more than 40 years mostly in the State of Washington I think the longest time I had to wait during that period was maybe 60 to 90 minutes. Both were Presidential elections where voter participation is at its its highest and during peak voting hours late in the day. This isn't a problem anymore.

But in the South and Midwest the attempts to limit voter participation has been a Republican strategy for decades. And in the Deep South it was clearly done to prevent minority voting.
I have voted in person in every election since I turned 18 - National, local, county and referendums.

The longest time I've ever had to wait before I was assigned a voting booth was..... 0 seconds.

All other western countries manage to organize their elections so they go smooth. I've never heard of any western countries with hour long lines to vote.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 02:33 PM   #67
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,215
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I have voted in person in every election since I turned 18 - National, local, county and referendums.

The longest time I've ever had to wait before I was assigned a voting booth was..... 0 seconds.

All other western countries manage to organize their elections so they go smooth. I've never heard of any western countries with hour long lines to vote.
Same here, until last year, and in the rural places I've always lived, there was little or no waiting. Here in Vermont, where ballots are paper, there is no reason not to have plenty of voting booths even in a small town. In Connecticut, where they used mechanical voting machines, there could be a small wait, depending on how quickly those ahead voted.

I have a funny voting story. In 1968, when Nixon was running for President, my parents both voted, and both were lifelong Democrats. But my father did not just dislike Nixon, he loathed him with passionate hatred. She was liberal, but he was more so, with a slightly pinkish hue. I wasn't of voting age yet, but went to the polls with them. In Connecticut, the voting machines allowed individual votes and ticket splitting, but also had a party lever that allowed a straight ticket. My mom, though she was inclined to vote the straight ticket, dickered about, pulling individual levers, and going back and forth so as not to give anything away. My dad's turn was next. He marched up the the machine, slammed the curtain shut with a bang, slammed the party lever down with a bang, slammed the curtain open again, and marched out of the hall. Technically, there's no electioneering allowed in the polling place, but nobody had to wonder what statement had been made.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 06:42 PM   #68
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,586
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Same here, until last year, and in the rural places I've always lived, there was little or no waiting. Here in Vermont, where ballots are paper, there is no reason not to have plenty of voting booths even in a small town. In Connecticut, where they used mechanical voting machines, there could be a small wait, depending on how quickly those ahead voted.

I have a funny voting story. In 1968, when Nixon was running for President, my parents both voted, and both were lifelong Democrats. But my father did not just dislike Nixon, he loathed him with passionate hatred. She was liberal, but he was more so, with a slightly pinkish hue. I wasn't of voting age yet, but went to the polls with them. In Connecticut, the voting machines allowed individual votes and ticket splitting, but also had a party lever that allowed a straight ticket. My mom, though she was inclined to vote the straight ticket, dickered about, pulling individual levers, and going back and forth so as not to give anything away. My dad's turn was next. He marched up the the machine, slammed the curtain shut with a bang, slammed the party lever down with a bang, slammed the curtain open again, and marched out of the hall. Technically, there's no electioneering allowed in the polling place, but nobody had to wonder what statement had been made.
Humphrey?
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 08:51 PM   #69
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,215
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Humphrey?
Humphrey wasn't the best candidate, but he wasn't Nixon. In a small town everyone pretty well knows where you stand, so there was no ambiguity.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 09:16 PM   #70
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,537
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Looking from the outside, in a country where wait times at the polls are measured in minutes and not hours... That there exist such excessive wait times that food and drink might be necessary in the first place bespeaks of a rather dysfunctional system. To have allowed it to come to such a pass is already a sad indictment.
You misunderstand.

The length of the lines isn't "dysfunction"; it is rather intentional. The Republican state legislature has reduced the numbers of voting locations and alternate options in high-population areas with the aim of achieving exactly this effect; the long lines are intended to discourage citizens in those areas from attempting to vote. Independent groups providing refreshments to voters - even only after they have voted - encourages potential voters to endure the lines who might otherwise get weary and decide to leave the line before voting, or not even bother trying in the first place, and that is why they have been outlawed.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 10:19 PM   #71
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,819
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I have voted in person in every election since I turned 18 - National, local, county and referendums.

The longest time I've ever had to wait before I was assigned a voting booth was..... 0 seconds.

All other western countries manage to organize their elections so they go smooth. I've never heard of any western countries with hour long lines to vote.
So have I and I've never had to wait either. This really is about selective targeting to disenfranchise certain voters.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 04:01 AM   #72
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,709
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
You misunderstand.

The length of the lines isn't "dysfunction"; it is rather intentional. The Republican state legislature has reduced the numbers of voting locations and alternate options in high-population areas with the aim of achieving exactly this effect; the long lines are intended to discourage citizens in those areas from attempting to vote. Independent groups providing refreshments to voters - even only after they have voted - encourages potential voters to endure the lines who might otherwise get weary and decide to leave the line before voting, or not even bother trying in the first place, and that is why they have been outlawed.
It can be intentional and still be dysfunctional.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 04:44 AM   #73
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 14,958
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
That won't be happening in Georgia.

I am not a 'Trump sycophant', but I will defend this measure. There should be no opportunity for inducement or the appearance of such. Voting is a very personal thing for me. When I am waiting to vote I don't want interference from anyone, even if they pretend to just be providing water or food.

Allow this interaction and the next thing you know Trump will be financing it and advertising the fact, giving voters a not too subtle reminder that he is their benefactor - just like he did with the 'stimulus' checks. Would you want that? You know that when something is legal the Deplorables will find some way to turn it to their advantage, and there will be nothing you can do about it because they aren't breaking any laws.

Voters should should be shielded from intimidation or inducements of any kind, including those that look innocuous on the surface. If this means people have to bring their own food and drink then it is unfortunate, but necessary to prevent abuse.
Glad to know there are Republicans who would change their vote for a stale donut. How about in exchange for a warm hello? Just how desperate for TLC are they?
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion.
His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 05:03 AM   #74
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,519
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
That won't be happening in Georgia.

I am not a 'Trump sycophant', but I will defend this measure. There should be no opportunity for inducement or the appearance of such. Voting is a very personal thing for me. When I am waiting to vote I don't want interference from anyone, even if they pretend to just be providing water or food.

Allow this interaction and the next thing you know Trump will be financing it and advertising the fact, giving voters a not too subtle reminder that he is their benefactor - just like he did with the 'stimulus' checks. Would you want that? You know that when something is legal the Deplorables will find some way to turn it to their advantage, and there will be nothing you can do about it because they aren't breaking any laws.

Voters should should be shielded from intimidation or inducements of any kind, including those that look innocuous on the surface. If this means people have to bring their own food and drink then it is unfortunate, but necessary to prevent abuse.
Charity is...how shall we say...not something Toupee Fiasco and his family excel at. What you *will* find, though, is him goading his idiot followers into threats, intimidation, foreign interference, and outright violence, as we've seen on numerous occasions over the years.

The folks giving out water bottles, snacks, and seats typically fall into two categories;

First, third party "get out the vote" efforts through charities, churches, and the like. These could, in theory, be any mix of individuals, but tend to lean heavily democratic in practice, since republicans are much more into suppression and intimidation, legally or otherwise.

The second is even more obvious - other people waiting in line, who see some elderly person, pregnant woman, etc. standing there for hours, and offer a portable seat. Almost always have little interest in the recipients' politics, they just aren't ********.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 09:36 AM   #75
Lurch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,666
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
You misunderstand.

The length of the lines isn't "dysfunction"; it is rather intentional. The Republican state legislature has reduced the numbers of voting locations and alternate options in high-population areas with the aim of achieving exactly this effect; the long lines are intended to discourage citizens in those areas from attempting to vote. Independent groups providing refreshments to voters - even only after they have voted - encourages potential voters to endure the lines who might otherwise get weary and decide to leave the line before voting, or not even bother trying in the first place, and that is why they have been outlawed.
Doesn't need stating. The dysfunction lies among an idiotic electorate voting against their own interests, allowing to come to pass such undemocratic measures as these. Either that, or there is sufficient societal malice desirous of it. But still dysfunctional, as harming onesself in order to hurt the other more is potentially a bottomless pit.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 09:42 AM   #76
Lurch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,666
The disenfranchising class, with a measure like this, would be the type to lash with whip a bystander offering Christ a sip of water while the latter staggered under his cross.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 10:25 AM   #77
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,215
I'm reminded of the old Bob Dylan lines, "I said they refused Jesus too; he said 'You're not him.'"
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 11:02 AM   #78
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,221
'No voting on Sundays because it would offend God' according to MS Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith. I guess she thinks everyone is a Christian. What next? Is she going to demand all stores close down on Sundays in order to "keep the Sabbath Holy"? Or is it only voting on Sundays that makes offends God? Her "objection" is so ridiculously and obviously just another excuse in the effort to pass Jim Crow 2 voter suppression laws targeted at Black voters who have a tradition of voting on Sundays after attending church services.


Quote:
Cindy Hyde-Smith, a Republican senator from Mississippi, defended a Georgia proposal that would have curtailed early voting on Sundays during elections, suggesting doing so would go against the word of God.

“I cannot speak for Georgia, but I can speak for Mississippi on why we would never do that on a Sunday or hold an election on a Sunday,” she said during a Senate committee hearing on voting rights legislation on Wednesday.

Ms Hyde-Smith read “the United States of America, in God we trust” printed on a dollar bill.

She added: “Etched in stone in the US Senate chamber is ‘in God we trust’. When you swore in all these witnesses, the last thing you said to them in your instructions was ‘so help you God’. In God’s words in Exodus 20:18, it says ‘Remember the sabbath and keep it holy.’”
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 11:15 AM   #79
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,186
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
'No voting on Sundays because it would offend God' according to MS Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith. I guess she thinks everyone is a Christian. What next? Is she going to demand all stores close down on Sundays in order to "keep the Sabbath Holy"? Or is it only voting on Sundays that makes offends God? Her "objection" is so ridiculously and obviously just another excuse in the effort to pass Jim Crow 2 voter suppression laws targeted at Black voters who have a tradition of voting on Sundays after attending church services.
The simple workaround for all the black churches (because these are the people being targeted by these racist voter suppression laws) is to hold a special "Give Thanks for Democracy" service on the last couple of Saturday mornings before election day.
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 11:58 AM   #80
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,929
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
'No voting on Sundays because it would offend God' according to MS Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith. I guess she thinks everyone is a Christian. What next? Is she going to demand all stores close down on Sundays in order to "keep the Sabbath Holy"? Or is it only voting on Sundays that makes offends God? Her "objection" is so ridiculously and obviously just another excuse in the effort to pass Jim Crow 2 voter suppression laws targeted at Black voters who have a tradition of voting on Sundays after attending church services.
I plan on never spending a single dollar in MS on a Sunday.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:20 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.