IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th March 2021, 03:46 AM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Suez Canal blocked by stuck ship.

A 200,000 tonne container ship ran aground and became lodged sideways across the waterway at about 07:40 local time (05:40 GMT) on Tuesday.

It's a big one , 400m loa and 59mbeam the ship has blocked the path of other vessels which are now trapped in lines in both directions.

Apparently the ship 'broached' in high winds and the bows ran aground swinging the stern around.

A swarm of tugs has been trying to pull it free but it's wedged solid.
Looks like they will have to 'dig it out' and it could take several days.

Great Bitter Lake is already full of waiting ships are the Port Said and South Suez Anchorage.
I have been following it on the Marine Traffic and Vessel Finder apps.

Evergreen Marine said the ship was "suspected of being hit by a sudden strong wind, causing the hull to deviate... and accidentally hit the bottom and run aground".

Looking at the ship, it's stacked to the limit with containers and the freeboard is massive, I can see how a beam wind would have pushed it round.

The Suez Canal Authority (SCA) said it was working to refloat the giant ship, using rescue and tug units,

BBC is reporting they said they had reopened an 'older section of the canal' to ease the bottleneck of marine traffic caused by the incident.

But I don't see how that will work. In the section where the ship is stuck, south of the Great Bitter Lake, there is only one canal, the 'older' section referred to is north of the lake and apart from holding ships I don't see how it helps anything.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 24th March 2021 at 03:51 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 04:19 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

After seeing how little clearance there is for these huge cargo ships surprised this doesn’t happen more often.
Old 24th March 2021, 04:28 AM   #3
3point14
Pi

That live vessel tracker is pretty cool.

Am I right in thinking this is going to be really, really expensive somewhere down the line?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 04:29 AM   #4
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If you look at the picture of this one, or any other fully loaded you can see the bridge barely peeks above the tops of the container stacks.
She's a 200,000 tonner too so lots of inertia.
I would think once she started to swing in such confined waters there was little the bridge crew could do to correct it before the bows went aground.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 04:30 AM   #5
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
That live vessel tracker is pretty cool.

Am I right in thinking this is going to be really, really expensive somewhere down the line?
Yes, some Lloyds 'Names' will be crying in to their cornflakes this morning.
Old 24th March 2021, 04:32 AM   #6
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

My tracker of choice is the Marine Traffic app or website.

I keep tabs on the shipping along the coast from Tees to Humber usually with the occasional 'excursion' across to Europort or the Baltic.
Old 24th March 2021, 04:42 AM   #7
catsmate
No longer the 1

The Yellow Fleet is back!!! When can be expect stamps to be printed?
To those who don't get the reference try here and here. And yes I know that the canal is blocked at both ends this time. So far...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 05:12 AM   #8
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Gee whiz what a mess!

I cannot even imagine how many millions and millions of dollars that this one accident will cost.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 05:23 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
After seeing how little clearance there is for these huge cargo ships surprised this doesn’t happen more often.
I've been through the Suez... I dunno six, seven times give or take, on Aircraft Carriers.

For long sections of it the flight deck of the aircraft carrier overhangs the edges of the canal. There is no clearance for big ships through that thing.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 05:26 AM   #10
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It's ironic that the development of super tankers and ships of over 100,000 tons was a result of Suez being closed by the Arab Israeli wars.

My dad was Chief Engineer on one of the first to be launched. They had to slog all the way round Cape Horn.
Old 24th March 2021, 06:37 AM   #11
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Gee whiz what a mess!

I cannot even imagine how many millions and millions of dollars that this one accident will cost.
On the bright side, I don't feel anywhere near as bad about my last screwup at work.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 07:00 AM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Uh-Ooh. Next terrorism: bombs in canals.
Old 24th March 2021, 07:01 AM   #13
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Call Roto Rooter, they can unblock anything!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 07:04 AM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I would not want to be on the Force Defense / Antiterrorism team of any of the ships, especially military ships, in the canal right now that's for goddamn sure.

Everytime we went through the canal I spent at least 8 hours a day walking around the flight deck with a M-16 or manning a M2 on the side of the ship. Once I even got to sit on way up on the island with a locked case containing a Stinger anti-air missile. I wouldn't be able to fire it mind you, that was reserved for someone better or more trained then me, but I got to guard the weapon while it was staged on bstation in case it was needed.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 24th March 2021 at 07:06 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 07:10 AM   #15
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Suez was closed for years in the 70s after it was deliberately blocked by sinking ships and sewing mines in the 6 Day War.
It was closed for 8 years.
Catsmate already linked to the "Yellow Fleet"
My dad was chief engineer on the supertankers built to ship oil round the Cape to Europe.

Royal Navy minesweepers and clearance dives spent years clearing it
Old 24th March 2021, 07:20 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Perhaps the UK could offer to send our troops to help, we’ve some form with the canal!
Old 24th March 2021, 08:03 AM   #17
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Perhaps the UK could offer to send our troops to help, we’ve some form with the canal!
A bit of nostalgia for previous reputation-diminishing foreign policy blunders might help take our minds off our current one.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 08:35 AM   #18
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Q cranks doing their thing:

Quote:
QAnon is abuzz with the Suez Canal story.

Given the Ever Given ship's call sign is H3RC, and Hillary Clinton's initials are HRC, and the ship is operated by Evergreen Marine, and Hillary's secret service code is Evergreen, the ship is tarfficking kids on behalf of the Clintons.
https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1374690910445899778

Gonna need a longer red string, this one reaches all the way to Egypt!
Old 24th March 2021, 08:41 AM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Does it say anywhere in the ship's user manual "do not sail the ship sideways"? I bet it doesn't.
Old 24th March 2021, 08:46 AM   #20
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I recommend 250 million milligrams of docusate sodium three times a day until the ship passes.
Old 24th March 2021, 09:06 AM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The most annoying thing for me is that ideally, you'd offload the cargo to float the ship. But shipping containers require specialized cranes in proper alignment, which obviously aren't available here.

---

Looks like mobile cranes do exist:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...862024244.html

But they'd have to build out a temporary container yard next to the ship, install the rail system for the crane, install the crane... It's probably faster and cheaper just to dig the ship out.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 09:35 AM   #22
Lplus
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The most annoying thing for me is that ideally, you'd offload the cargo to float the ship. But shipping containers require specialized cranes in proper alignment, which obviously aren't available here.

---

Looks like mobile cranes do exist:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...862024244.html

But they'd have to build out a temporary container yard next to the ship, install the rail system for the crane, install the crane... It's probably faster and cheaper just to dig the ship outdig a bypass canal.
FTFY

Communism actively works against the fundamental urge of the human animal to survive and prosper, even at the expense of others, whilst Nazism relies on that urge.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 09:53 AM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
FTFY
You think? I think a temporary container yard could probably be set up a lot quicker than a bypass canal.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 10:01 AM   #24
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Insert Austin Powers trying to make the U-turn in the narrow hallway GIF here*
Old 24th March 2021, 10:02 AM   #25
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Q cranks doing their thing:

https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1374690910445899778

Gonna need a longer red string, this one reaches all the way to Egypt!
And their plan is to, instead of sneaking the children quietly through the Suez on their way to what I assume is another pizza parlor sex dungeon, get stuck?
Old 24th March 2021, 10:03 AM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Just flush it out by pouring more water in, duh. Empty whatever ocean that is, should do the trick, especially if you do it fast enough. Alternatively, simply convert that section of the canal into a lake by replacing some of the land with water. A third method I have devised, but it's slightly impractical so I won't mention it.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:05 AM   #27
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And their plan is to, instead of sneaking the children quietly through the Suez on their way to what I assume is another pizza parlor sex dungeon, get stuck?
Surely they would have succeeded in their dastardly plot had it not been for the heroic actions of our Q-aligned patriots. Clearly this mishap is the direct result of conflict between the cabal and Q!
Old 24th March 2021, 10:21 AM   #28
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

If they can't air drop a dredge barge, they can drive in some earth movers to make two dams, above and below the ship. Then pump in water until the ship floats, remove the dams.

But I bet they have a play book of just this scenario.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:24 AM   #29
Disbelief
Master Poster

I think they should get the engineer who cleared the dead whale from the beach in Oregon.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 10:24 AM   #30
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If they can't air drop a dredge barge, they can drive in some earth movers to make two dams, above and below the ship. Then pump in water until the ship floats, remove the dams.

But I bet they have a play book of just this scenario.
I bet they don't.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:36 AM   #31
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's fine. Dyatlov said the ship is only at 3.6 roentgen. Not great, but not terrible.
Old 24th March 2021, 11:10 AM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I bet they don't.
I bet they probably have a couple reams' worth of playbooks for similar scenarios, but nothing exactly for this one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are several experts working on the problem right now, saying things like "there's a few different good methods for this sort of thing, but we need to figure out how to properly adjust them (using known methods) for these particular details."
Old 24th March 2021, 11:48 AM   #33
3point14
Pi

I'd like to suggest the 'Up' solution, involving helium baloons.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 11:54 AM   #34
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Any indication that this wasn't an accident?

sinking ships in strategic locations to cripple global trade is a strategy that has been articulated by more than one malignant power.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 11:59 AM   #35
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well it's been well a year and a half since the MV Golden Ray sunk and capsized, blocking the entrance to the harbor in nearby Brunswick, GA and it's still there so.....
Old 24th March 2021, 12:08 PM   #36
Monica 56
Student

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

sinking ships in strategic locations to cripple global trade is a strategy that has been articulated by more than one malignant power.
Always a fair question . But probably nobody would gain here other than speculators betting on a short term price boost -- which is what has happened , but nothing enormous . Circumstances of the accident look real --- high wind , bad visibility etc .
Good chance that the Container ship will be dragged free tomorrow with Dutch heavier equipment due on the scene .
Monica 56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2021, 12:10 PM   #37
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Given the traffic that goes through the Suez I'm surprised this doesn't happen a lot more often. Even if every single ship was brand new and 100% perfectly maintain you'd figure breakdowns would happen now and again.
Old 24th March 2021, 12:20 PM   #38
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Because it obviously isn't anything other than an accident.

If you wanted to block the canal, sink something. That's what the Egyptians did and it took 8 years to clear.
Old 24th March 2021, 12:21 PM   #39
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There will probably be a bigger incentive to 'double' the section south of the Great Bitter lake now to match that to the north.
Old 24th March 2021, 12:26 PM   #40
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Apparently the ship 'broached' in high winds and the bows ran aground swinging the stern around.

Not unless the perpetrators have a weather-control machine.

Or a whole lot of tabletop fans.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events