IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th March 2021, 07:09 PM   #241
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
This is a better site for trans ocean routes
https://sea-distances.org/

This site will give you distance and times for various shipping lines
https://www.searates.com/services/distances-time/

New York Via Panama is shorter than via Suez.

Even shorter and faster is Shanghai to Los Angeles and then fast container train across to the East Coast which is what tends to happen.
And shorter and faster still is Shanghai to Vancouver. When I travelled from Toronto to Vancouver a couple of years ago the passenger train had to stop in a siding on many occasions to let freight trains loaded with containers go by . . . on their way to Chicago we were told. I counted 130 double-stack container cars on one train.
Old 28th March 2021, 07:14 PM   #242
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Per:
https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-353136000

AT: 10:13 PM 2021-03-28

Quote:
Status Under way
Position received 1 min ago
Does this mean she is free?
Old 28th March 2021, 07:31 PM   #243
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's still stuck, Last report from it was 4 hrs ago, stopped.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2021, 07:45 PM   #244
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Not after it hit the iceberg.
So, if it turns out the Ever Given is not watertight, it must have hit an iceberg in the canal.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2021, 08:43 PM   #245
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
So, if it turns out the Ever Given is not watertight, it must have hit an iceberg in the canal.
Hope Rose finds room on that door this time.
Old 28th March 2021, 08:46 PM   #246
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
No, it's still stuck, Last report from it was 4 hrs ago, stopped.
They started another attempt to get it free about an hour ago. This is tidal dependent.
Old 28th March 2021, 08:48 PM   #247
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Here is an interesting on topic article

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...reseen-by-many
Quote:
Over the past decade, out of the sight of most consumers, the world’s container ships have been quietly ballooning in size. A class of vessels that carried a maximum of about 5,000 shipping containers in 2000 has doubled in capacity every few years since,
<snip>
The ships’ rapid growth has outstripped the capacity of marine infrastructure to follow. The Panama canal was expanded at a cost of more than $5bn (£3.6bn) more than a decade ago to meet the size of new container ships – only to be left behind as even larger vessels rolled out of Asian shipyards.
Old 28th March 2021, 08:50 PM   #248
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
And shorter and faster still is Shanghai to Vancouver. When I travelled from Toronto to Vancouver a couple of years ago the passenger train had to stop in a siding on many occasions to let freight trains loaded with containers go by . . . on their way to Chicago we were told. I counted 130 double-stack container cars on one train.
Right now the ports in Seattle Tacoma can handle all the ships they want to send. We have plenty of space to take in more ships. And these are some of the deepest ports in the world.

Last edited by acbytesla; 28th March 2021 at 08:54 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2021, 09:01 PM   #249
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Bloomberg is reporting that it has been refloated
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2021, 09:37 PM   #250
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post

* Partly refloated....
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2021, 09:40 PM   #251
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Plus I seem to recall the Egyptian authorities giving assurances that the ship would be freed "by the end of the weekend". I suppose 06:30 on Monday morning (Egypt time) just about qualifies as the end of the weekend.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2021, 09:56 PM   #252
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
* Partly refloated....
I love how a Twitter feed shows Tugboats blasting their horns in celebration and people shouting "Allah acbar". It wasn't God that freed it, but men.
Old 28th March 2021, 10:06 PM   #253
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I love how a Twitter feed shows Tugboats blasting their horns in celebration and people shouting "Allah acbar". It wasn't God that freed it, but men.
"God is great" is not the same thing as "God did it". In this context it's basically equivalent to a high-five.

Considering that these are the selfsame people who have been physically working to free the ship, I'm pretty sure they are aware on some level that it was their labor that did the job, and not God's magic or whatnot.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2021, 10:34 PM   #254
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
"God is great" is not the same thing as "God did it". In this context it's basically equivalent to a high-five.

Considering that these are the selfsame people who have been physically working to free the ship, I'm pretty sure they are aware on some level that it was their labor that did the job, and not God's magic or whatnot.
I know this.

It's amazing just how much "god" is baked in the language. I'm an atheist and I still catch me saying "god bless you" when someone sneezes.
Old 28th March 2021, 10:54 PM   #255
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

can't wait for my lighted dehydrated livestock!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 12:50 AM   #256
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

It's free!
Little 10 Toes is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 01:23 AM   #257
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
It's free!

Not so fast! (literally, in this case)

This BBC article, filed 15 minutes ago, says that in fact the ship is not actually properly free yet (ie it is not floating freely or able to move, and that therefore it is still very much blocking the canal).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56559904

The article quotes the Suez Canal Authority stating that "further efforts to move the boat would resume later on Monday"......
Old 29th March 2021, 01:24 AM   #258
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

*casts mind back to dealing with Egyptian businesses and the Egyptian Government*
Old 29th March 2021, 01:25 AM   #259
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
can't wait for my lighted dehydrated livestock!

It'll arrive as jerky. Delicious!
Old 29th March 2021, 01:34 AM   #260
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

Ah but Allah gave them the strength, skill and diligence to do their jobs well!

Also - and in no way to do with what you've written, but rather the original post in this chain - it's "Allahu Akbar" (to use the standard transliteration). "Allah" and "Allahu" actually both mean the same thing (God), but there's a subtle difference in pronunciation when it's followed by words which begin with certain plosive qualities (including "akbar"). And it's actually a superlative statement: not "God is great", but "God is the greatest".

Just thought I'd add that in for a bit of colour and background
Old 29th March 2021, 03:06 AM   #261
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Per:
https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-353136000

AT: 10:13 PM 2021-03-28

Does this mean she is free?

You were right. Looks like someone did a manual update on Vessel Finder, the ship has shifted it's heading but not position so it hasn't changed on AIS apart from heading information.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 29th March 2021 at 03:11 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 03:32 AM   #262
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Yeah. I very much doubt that ship will be heading onwards to its intended destination(s) once it's freed. But it sounds like it should - based on the public information currently available - at least it should be capable of making it (whether under its own power or being pulled by tugs) to somewhere fairly close where it can offload its cargo.

But I wonder where is the nearest place to the Suez Canal with the facility to offload that many containers, store them dockside for some time, and then reload them onto one or more other vessels for onward transportation.
I rather think it well. There are very few dry-docks suited for a vessel of that size and few ports able to accommodate her.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 04:29 AM   #263
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I rather think it well. There are very few dry-docks suited for a vessel of that size and few ports able to accommodate her.
Very much this.

There are only a few ports that can handle a ship this size.
It's not just depth of mooring it's the size of the queyside cranes , their height and their 'reach'.

Same for dry docking.

If we discount construction docks there are a limited number of dry docks above 400m

Most are in the far east with a handful in Europe and the USA
Old 29th March 2021, 04:39 AM   #264
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
According to this site, (posted earlier) https://isitstillstuck.com/, it's now free... Complete with artificial fireworks.
Old 29th March 2021, 04:50 AM   #265
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

But this is an entirely different matter from what I was talking about, which was whether or not the ship would be simply continuing on to its originally-intended destination(s).
Old 29th March 2021, 04:58 AM   #266
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
According to this site, (posted earlier) https://isitstillstuck.com/, it's now free... Complete with artificial fireworks.

I'm not entirely sure whether a website with the url isitstillstuck.com can be relied upon for scrupulous accuracy*

And in any case, it rather depends on one's definition of the word "free".

Plus, any suggestion that the ship is now (or was, a few hours ago) fully buoyant and able to be manoeuvred up or down the canal... is somewhat at odds with that BBC News article which I posted here about 3.5 hours ago, which reported that the Suez Canal Authority was apparently communicating that "further efforts to move the boat would resume later on Monday".

* Yes, I realise that it's really a repository for relevant tweets, news stories, etc. But even so....
Old 29th March 2021, 05:01 AM   #267
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
The picture shows it still stuck in situ.

And this...
Quote:
Notice that the ship's name is Ever Given, not Evergreen like it's written on its side.
did not inspire confidence in the source. Evergreen is the name of the shipping company that owns and operates the vessel. Of course they are going to blast their name on EVERY VESSEL THEY OPERATE. That is marketing 101. They blast it on every container they ship too. I can't speak for everyone, but if I see a truck dragging a 40ft down the street, I rarely mistake it for a honking great ship called Evergreen with inexplicable wheels out of nowhere.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 05:05 AM   #268
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Oh, my. Climate change has got far worse, far more quickly than anyone anticipated

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 05:35 AM   #269
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The BBC TV news has just said that the wind has blown the ship across the canal again.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 05:42 AM   #270
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The BBC TV news has just said that the wind has blown the ship across the canal again.

Sure sounds like the Egyptians are making a mighty fine job of this, huh. "Any moment now, we'll have it sorted! Just about there now! Literally minutes away now!"

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in (virtual, possibly) meetings between 1) the owner & operator of Ever Given, 2) the owner/operators of some or all of the freight ships which are stuck in and around the canal..... and 3) the (Egyptian-controlled and -operated) Suez Canal Authority. I am imagining that those sorts of meetings would by now be getting pretty passive-aggressive feisty, with a whole keg or 10 of gunpowder ready to go up.
Old 29th March 2021, 05:51 AM   #271
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

everyone seen this ?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ca...r-given-penis/

Quote:
Did Cargo Ship ‘Draw’ a Penis Before Getting Stuck in Suez Canal?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 06:40 AM   #272
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Latest news is just out that it is actually free, and has been moved out of the way. Will still be great delays and problems in the canal, and they're saying it will be a few days yet before the backlog is cleared, but it's looking good.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 06:51 AM   #273
shemp

CNN says it's free.

(Link no work, will find another.)

Last edited by shemp; 29th March 2021 at 06:55 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 06:51 AM   #274
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hopefully getting it out of the canal will go quickly and quietly. IIRC it's not that far from one of the exits.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 06:55 AM   #275
shemp

Link to reliable source
Old 29th March 2021, 07:09 AM   #276
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

According to vesselfinder, it's moving North at around 6 knots.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 07:33 AM   #277
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Now that it is unstuck, you can stick it somewhere else at the website:

https://evergiven-everywhere.glitch.me/
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 07:34 AM   #278
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

According to some source (I think CNN), they will take it to Bitter Lake, where it can be inspected for hull damage. Then traffic can move again. I think a considerable number of brows are wiped around the world, right now.

Hans
Old 29th March 2021, 07:57 AM   #279
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
According to some source (I think CNN), they will take it to Bitter Lake, where it can be inspected for hull damage. Then traffic can move again. I think a considerable number of brows are wiped around the world, right now.

Hans
If only. Sure, rational people are indeed wiping their brow. We could very well have ended up with a dismantle in place scenario. Has happened before, but not this time.

It is the CT crowd who are going to lose the plot. Ever Given, callsign H3RC is clearly related to Hillary, furthermore, "evergreen" was her callsign as first lady. Therefore DJT caused the ship to get stuck in order to expose the worldwide pizza baby scam operating from a basement that does not exist.

Aww, who am I kidding? The whole thing is so dumb that I can't even maintain the mockery.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 07:59 AM   #280
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

But they forget that Allah sent the 45mph wind that stuck it in the first place.

"Religions work in mysterious ways."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events