IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Matt Gaetz , newsmax

Old 1st April 2021, 05:41 PM   #161
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Yeah, I think the GOP wants him to go away rather than circle the wagons around him. Don't you think Gaetz prefers Newsmax to Fox now?
Yeah, maybe. I really don’t know as I never watch either except for clips. I’m just making a joke at Gaetz’s expense. Fox is surely more prestigious and has bigger viewing figures, no?

I just thought it might be funny if instead of getting some kind of sweet deal where he gets his own show like Tucker Carlson, he ends up doing vox pops for Newsmax wandering the streets of Kentucky and asking the denizens “would you vote for multimillionaire succeed story Donald J Trump or doddering geriatric sleepy Joe Biden? Oh and wanna see some nudes?”
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:08 PM   #162
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Are you missing the point?

Right. The 2 Senators and 9 House members are all Democrats. Democrats aren't Republicans.

Yes, of course. That's the point. Republicans aren't tolerant of gays.
You missed my edit but no worries. Of course GOP legislators aren't tolerant, they court intolerant voters. That means some of them are going to be closeted gays if they are gay. Just because they court intolerant voters doesn't mean they themselves aren't LGBTQ.

Just like Gaetz is possibly lusting after young girls the way Judge Moore did does.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:10 PM   #163
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yeah, maybe. I really don’t know as I never watch either except for clips. I’m just making a joke at Gaetz’s expense. Fox is surely more prestigious and has bigger viewing figures, no?
Yup... the right wing media is a septic tank, and Fox is at the top... because the biggest pieces of **** always float to the top!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:11 PM   #164
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No, you have misread my post. I'm not anti-gay, I'm very much for the concept that people have the right to be who they are (within the law) without judgement from me or anyone else.

What I am praising is those Republicans pressuring Craig to resign, not because he was gay, but because he committed a criminal act. Performing a sex act in a public area (gay or otherwise) is a crime - if you get caught shagging a woman in a public area, you have been caught committing a crime (just ask actor Hugh Grant)

Unfortunately that standard has long since lapsed - no matter what vile things (including crimes) GOP congress-critters commit these days, their tribe backs their fellow tribe member to the hilt.
I think Craig getting caught (and it was nasty in the GOP hypocritical eye) had a lot more to do with it than his breaking the law. Look how many of the GOP hypocrites break the law.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:12 PM   #165
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am pretty sure the GOP want Gaetz to go away. I mean, he is leaving the House after all. Isn’t it pretty likely that this was decided by GOP insiders?

“Sorry, we’re going to have to get rid of you. We’ll set up some cable news job for you...”

“Oh really? I’m getting my own show on Fox?”

“Dream on. It’s Newsmax.”
Yes, Goetz is damaged goods at this point. He is now going to compete with Taylor Green as the face of the GOP for the Democrats.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:15 PM   #166
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yes, Goetz is damaged goods at this point. He is now going to compete with Taylor Green as the face of the GOP for the Democrats.
At this rate he could end up GOP nomination favourite.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:17 PM   #167
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

No, you have misread my post. I'm not anti-gay, I'm very much for the concept that people have the right to be who they are (within the law) without judgement from me or anyone else.
This is worth coming back to. Note that I was just asking since I didn't recall you being anti-gay. I should have worded my question to you differently to make it clear I expected your answer would be that you didn't mean to be anti-gay. Sorry, about that.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:21 PM   #168
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Gaetz is just following in the steps of his hero, Trump, bragging about all the women he's slept with and acting like a high school jerk in the locker room. Same mentality. Why is this surprising to anyone?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:22 PM   #169
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Gaetz is just following in the steps of his hero, Trump, bragging about all the women he's slept with and acting like a high school jerk in the locker room. Same mentality. Why is this surprising to anyone?
I don’t think anyone is expressing surprise.

Old 1st April 2021, 06:36 PM   #170
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don’t think anyone is expressing surprise.
It was a rhetorical question.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:40 PM   #171
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh yes

https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-w...085759179.html

Gaetz—the Trump-loving, Fox News-grinning, 38-year-old Florida Republican—has a less-than-sterling reputation among his congressional colleagues. More than a half-dozen lawmakers have spoken to these reporters about his love of alcohol and illegal drugs, as well as his proclivity for younger women. It’s well-known among Republican lawmakers that Gaetz was dating a college student—one over the age of consent—in 2018. She came to Washington as an intern.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 07:12 PM   #172
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Oh yes

Gaetz—the Trump-loving, Fox News-grinning, 38-year-old Florida Republican—has a less-than-sterling reputation among his congressional colleagues. More than a half-dozen lawmakers have spoken to these reporters about his love of alcohol and illegal drugs, as well as his proclivity for younger women. It’s well-known among Republican lawmakers that Gaetz was dating a college student—one over the age of consent—in 2018. She came to Washington as an intern.
Did she smoke his cigar for him? Wear a blue dress?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 07:40 PM   #173
carlitos
"más divertido"

Matt Gaetz reported to be leaving the House

I’ll take “songs about inappropriate relationships with 17-year-old girls”for $400, Alex.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 07:54 PM   #174
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Latest update from The New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/01/u...epartment.html

Quote:
A Justice Department investigation into Representative Matt Gaetz and an indicted Florida politician is focusing on their involvement with multiple women who were recruited online for sex and received cash payments, according to people close to the investigation and text messages and payment receipts reviewed by The New York Times.
Old 1st April 2021, 08:04 PM   #175
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Today was Republicans playing to an audience of one. It was Republicans not wanting to vote against Trump's golden boy while still wanting to be rid of him. The safe, middle ground was to leak that he shared the videos and communicate that he's got no friends. Republicans who want to be rid of Trump but still fear him can force a nuisance out but not have to vote against Trump's wishes.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 08:26 PM   #176
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I’ll take “songs about inappropriate relationships with 17-year-old girls”for $400, Alex.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
******* hell. FINALLY!! What was that? Like 4 tries before someone gets Gaetz's style.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 08:32 PM   #177
Varanid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I want a preposition in there, but putting it at the end of the sentence is also jarring and putting it in the middle of the sentence sounds stilted. To wit:

"There’s no age that you can’t be sexy."
"There's no age that you can't be sexy at."
"There's no age at which you can't be sexy."

To avoid the issue I would rephrase: "You can be sexy at any age."
Thank you for that.
There's a reason many publishers frown upon "there are/there is" construction.
Old 1st April 2021, 08:44 PM   #178
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I think your question was answered to your satisfaction long ago. Yes, Gaetz quoted the tweet (the thumb pointing down told me that. The implications of the quote didn't really strike me; the phrase just doesn't sound correct to me. I want a preposition in there, but putting it at the end of the sentence is also jarring and putting it in the middle of the sentence sounds stilted. To wit:

"There’s no age that you can’t be sexy."
"There's no age that you can't be sexy at."
"There's no age at which you can't be sexy."

To avoid the issue I would rephrase: "You can be sexy at any age."

I have a compulsion to smooth out prose; wish someone would pay me to do it again

Gaetz looks like someone trying to project a wholesome image. That always creeps me out.
The highlighted violates Coxon's Law (named after a school teacher friend of mine).

"Never use a preposition to end a sentence with"
- Jim Coxon, Beckenham School, Christchurch c. 1975

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st April 2021 at 08:46 PM.
Old 1st April 2021, 08:50 PM   #179
Elagabalus
Philosopher

The highlighted violates Coxon's Law (named after a school teacher friend of mine).

I was hoping it was going to be something a little more untoward with a name like Coxon's Law.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 09:02 PM   #180
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I was hoping it was going to be something a little more untoward with a name like Coxon's Law.
Its humour... read that law carefully!

Its actually Coxon's Second Law. Perhaps it might make the nature of his Laws more clear if I quote a couple of others.

First Law: "Splitting infinitives is something to never do"

Third Law: "Redundancy is something to never, never use at any time at all"

Fourth Law: "Do not string too many prepositional phrases together unless you are walking along a path by the road through the valley of the shadow of death"

Fifth Law: "Do not use no double negatives"

I have them all written down somewhere, but those are the only ones I can remember off-hand.

IIRC there were about 20 of them - if I can find them, I might make a post in the humour section

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st April 2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 1st April 2021, 10:33 PM   #181
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
He looks like Heat Miser and Bill Hader had a baby they abandoned in a novelty suit store.
He looks like the love child of Ace Ventura and Ray Liotta attending a "silly suit" costume party at Sigma Chi while trying to memorize the answers to the stolen test questions to get a solid C passing grade. High five. Smirnoff Ice chug. Dick slap! Daddy's rich. Good enough for government work. Sexy at any age.
Old 1st April 2021, 10:45 PM   #182
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
He looks like the love child of Ace Ventura and Ray Liotta attending a "silly suit" costume party at Sigma Chi while trying to memorize the answers to the stolen test questions to get a solid C passing grade. High five. Smirnoff Ice chug. Dick slap! Daddy's rich. Good enough for government work. Sexy at any age.
Upvote dude!
Old 1st April 2021, 10:49 PM   #183
Elagabalus
Philosopher

That is such a bad feeling. Not as bad as that feeling when you realize that you have a plane ticket and hotel room for a 17 year old on your AMEX, but looking down and realizing that your "spade" flush has two Jacks in it or whatever, just awful.
No AMEX but Apple Pay and Cash App. Close enough?
Old 2nd April 2021, 05:23 AM   #184
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That’s how it is in most countries nothing US specific, the law can’t take into account the vagaries of an individual’s ability to consent to sex so an arbitrary line has to be drawn.
It should be noted that in most countries, if someone is above the age of consent with regards to sex, then it's also legal to bring them across state or provincial borders. If they are paid to travel with them, in a kind of "sugar daddy" style prostitution, it would possibly be illegal even if it might be quite hard to prove in court. That straddles the line between what you could call a legal "transactional relationship" and illegal prostitution.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 2nd April 2021 at 05:27 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 05:33 AM   #185
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It may just be coincidence, but Gaetz was the only Republican (actually the only house representative) to vote against a human trafficking bill back in 2017.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-trafficking-/

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 06:12 AM   #186
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
It may just be coincidence, but Gaetz was the only Republican (actually the only house representative) to vote against a human trafficking bill back in 2017.
As delicious as that irony would be (and to be 100% clear I'm not saying self interest wasn't a factor in that) that's probably more a case of Gaetz being one of the new wave of pure troll Republicans who "Pointless Contrarian" is one of their primary go-to responses.

It may be that he saw the bill as a personal threat to him (although honestly even he's not so thick as not get that the bill was going to pass anyway) but honestly it's probably more a case of him just being the legislative equivalent to the internet troll who thinks being the lone standout against a popular opinion is somehow inherently noble or useful, the legislative equivalent to the jerkwads online who are the reason you can't say "Water is wet" on the internet without not only someone taking time out of their goddamn day to disagree with you, but acting like they are doing you a favor by doing it.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 2nd April 2021 at 06:32 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 06:29 AM   #187
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I'm sure Gaetz has ended many sentences with a proposition.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 06:35 AM   #188
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?

I AGREE
They got nuthin' on Chucky Lee Byrd.

I AGREE
Old 2nd April 2021, 06:58 AM   #189
eerok
Quixoticist

Congrats to the GOP for giving us someone else as creepy and punchable as Ted Cruz.
Old 2nd April 2021, 07:17 AM   #190
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Congrats to the GOP for giving us someone else as creepy and punchable as Ted Cruz.
Punchable, yes. Creepy... no. Unless Ted has a lot of teenage/prepubescent skeletons buried somewhere, Gaetz wins the creep contest hands down.
Old 2nd April 2021, 07:33 AM   #191
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Punchable, yes. Creepy... no. Unless Ted has a lot of teenage/prepubescent skeletons buried somewhere, Gaetz wins the creep contest hands down.
Well, Cruz is also creepy in the slimy, faux human sense.

Gaetz has pulled into the lead if it's a contest, though.
Old 2nd April 2021, 07:38 AM   #192
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yeah, I think the GOP wants him to go away rather than circle the wagons around him. Don't you think Gaetz prefers Newsmax to Fox now?

But consider this - how many times have we seen them circle the wagons around someone who was clearly just as guilty of the same kind of creepy/illegal stuff? Rapey McDrunkface, Judge Hebephile, "President" Trump.

So why abandon this creep now? Why aren't they doubling down on him like they did with everyone else?

The way I figure it, they've got some inside scoop on some things he did that are even worse than what we've heard - so much worse that even the modern GOP realized they couldn't pull off saving this guy.

And that's got to be pretty fracking bad. It will be interesting to see what the FBI and DoJ have to say when they're finally ready to pull the trigger on this guy.
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:00 AM   #193
RolandRat
Muse

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
but the guy's in his mid-late 30s - a guy that age really shouldn't be with a high-school age girl.
Do you mean in general or in this specific instance?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:10 AM   #194
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
No AMEX but Apple Pay and Cash App. Close enough?
Yep - I was thinking of travel costs and maybe gifts. I hadn't even dreamt that he would have directly paid some girl like a sugar daddy thing. What a dope.

I had one friend that used to show us nude photos of his gal pals; it was always creepy and almost never appreciated.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:05 AM   #195
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
but the guy's in his mid-late 30s - a guy that age really shouldn't be with a high-school age girl.
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Do you mean in general or in this specific instance?
By the half-your-age-plus-seven rule, in general.
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:06 AM   #196
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
But consider this - how many times have we seen them circle the wagons around someone who was clearly just as guilty of the same kind of creepy/illegal stuff? Rapey McDrunkface, Judge Hebephile, "President" Trump.

Yeah, that's worth thinking about. Except, I don't think Trump belongs on that list. His base of political supporters explains why he gets a pass from the GOP.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:15 AM   #197
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We're still in a state of Schrödinger's Politics right now.

The Right was completely full of big dickhead energy because they owned the Presidency, the branch of Congress that can actually do anything, the Supreme Court, and the country's top law enforcement and prosecutors. That pretty much has all your escape routes covered.

They don't now so they don't know what they can get away with. Expect a lot of them trying to get a feel for how far they are allowed to go now before the new Mommy and Daddy smack them on the hand.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:28 AM   #198
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We're still in a state of Schrödinger's Politics right now.

The Right was completely full of big dickhead energy because they owned the Presidency, the branch of Congress that can actually do anything, the Supreme Court, and the country's top law enforcement and prosecutors. That pretty much has all your escape routes covered.

They don't now so they don't know what they can get away with. Expect a lot of them trying to get a feel for how far they are allowed to go now before the new Mommy and Daddy smack them on the hand.
Such as McCarthy keeping the creep on the Judiciary Committe (!) until an indictment should come down. In Universe Prime, an active investigation would have a member instantly removed from such an assignment. Especially here because of the conflict involved where the subject of an investigation exercises oversight over the department conducting the investigation.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:54 AM   #199
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
By the half-your-age-plus-seven rule, in general.
Not getting drawn into a discussion on specifics. All I'll say is that if that's all it was, I kinda have to lean towards "I don't respect you, but I'm still serious about reducing the number of people in prisons".

And even when I posted it, that didn't sound like all there was - much less now.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:32 AM   #200
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Oh yes

One columnist says on reason why Gaetz's political career is probably doomed is that most of his fellow GOP congressmen can't stand him.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics