IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:51 AM   #1
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

LA County sheriff has unit dedicated to investigating political enemies

Quote:
On paper, the deputies are scattered around the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in various assignments. One is supposed to be working patrol in Lancaster, another in West Hollywood. A third is assigned to a gang crime unit.

In reality, though, the group of nine men and women make up a little-known team of investigators formed by Sheriff Alex Villanueva and other top sheriff’s officials.

Much of what they do, by design, is a mystery to the public and even to most within the department. But as some of the investigations handled by the team have come to light, a common thread has emerged: Their targets are outspoken critics of Villanueva or the department.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-secret-police
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:53 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

They'll probably try to defend it with mush-mouthed legal-eze about keeping an eye on people threatening the police.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:59 AM   #3
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
They'll probably try to defend it with mush-mouthed legal-eze about keeping an eye on people threatening the police.
The US has a whole federal service dedicated to investigating threats to the POTUS (and the currency), why shouldn't a Sheriff have a few deputies investigating her/his enemies?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:15 PM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
The US has a whole federal service dedicated to investigating threats to the POTUS (and the currency), why shouldn't a Sheriff have a few deputies investigating her/his enemies?
Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking. They'll try to find the semantic point between "Enemies" (as in people who just don't like you) and "threats" and dance a merry jig on it.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:17 PM   #5
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Between this and the deputy gangs, it's hard to imagine there isn't a better solution to the problem of LASD corruption than just going scorched earth
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:20 PM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Between this and the deputy gangs, it's hard to imagine there isn't a better solution to the problem of LASD corruption than just going scorched earth
We'll get on that right after dudalb's Civil War is finished.

Old 23rd September 2021, 12:26 PM   #7
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

We'll get on that right after dudalb's Civil War is finished.
More realistically, this is something a broad FBI investigation could make some career cases out of. Feds should be crawling over this bleeding sore of public corruption.
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:28 PM   #8
Boudicca90
Muse

This doesn't surprise me one bit.

Villanueva is a corrupt piece of cr*p who does nothing but use his power to give him leverage against the city and enact his agenda. We have similar issues with Sheriff Bianco here in Riverside County.

They both need to go!
Boudicca90 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:28 PM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
More realistically, this is something a broad FBI investigation could make some career cases out of. Feds should be crawling over this bleeding sore of public corruption.

I don't know if your visceral reaction is to all LEOs or just "Cops" but there is still SOME hope in saving some of the Federal Agencies I think, and that power could be brought to bear on some of the local agencies.

Old 23rd September 2021, 07:57 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Because the Federal service you speak of investigates threats to POTUS regardless of POTUS' political affiliations, i.e., they investigate threats to the Office of POTUS

This LA outfit appears to be a unit dedicated to investigating people who spoke out against Villanueva himself, not about the Office of the Sheriff per se.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd September 2021 at 07:59 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 12:48 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I see LA County Shefiffs is giving the LAPD some competiion in the "Corrupt Police Department" competition.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 12:50 PM   #12
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if your visceral reaction is to all LEOs or just "Cops" but there is still SOME hope in saving some of the Federal Agencies I think, and that power could be brought to bear on some of the local agencies.
Now would be a good time for the feds to prove me wrong about my jaundiced view of their priorities.

They're probably too busy trying to entrap some 75 IQ muslim kid into buying a fake bomb.
Old 30th September 2021, 10:46 AM   #13
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I see LA County Shefiffs is giving the LAPD some competiion in the "Corrupt Police Department" competition.
Don't sleep on Portland. They are super chummy with domestic terrorist groups like the Proud Boys.

Hell, the NYPD's 81st precinct could probably win on their own.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics