IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 26th September 2021, 05:43 PM   #2761
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Flynn is a QAnon supporting nut job. Obama saw that and warned Trump about him but, Trump being Trump, that alone made Flynn a "must have".

At the Republican National Convention in 2016, he said of Hillary Clinton: "We do not need a reckless president who believes she is above the law." Talk about irony.
Don't let me get started on Flynn. He's just as self centered and devoid of principles as Trump.
Old 27th September 2021, 12:49 AM   #2762
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Don't let me get started on Flynn. He's just as self centered and devoid of principles as Trump.
Like most high-profile trumpers, he's only in it for the grift.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 05:49 AM   #2763
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

South Dakota governor Kristi Noem urged people to attend the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally this past August, then arrived -- on horseback (???) -- to welcome the crowds. In remarks to rally-goers, she took a swipe at CDC's Dr Anthony Fauci:
Quote:
I was not surprised to see Dr. Fauci pick on Sturgis,” said Noem. “He picked on it last year, this rally as well, and honestly, I wish he cared more about the Southern Border and what we have going on there with a lot of COVID virus cases coming across the border that are not being isolated and taken care of.” KOTA TV in South Dakota
Fauci had said that while he understood the desire to resume normal activities, he was "very concerned" the rally could spark another surge in cases. Predictably, several weeks after the rally, South Dakota began to see a surge in new cases. South Dakota ranks seventh among states with the most cases per capita, with over 16% of state residents having had Covid-19.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kristi rides a horse.jpg (117.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SD New cases 09262021.jpg (49.4 KB, 11 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:08 PM   #2764
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We've passed the 700,000 Covid deaths.

Thanks, anti-vaxxers and Trumpers! You're all 'winners'! I'm sure those who have died appreciate your 'principles'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:11 PM   #2765
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The latest CDC study on mask wearing in schools found that YES, THEY WORK. Schools with no mask mandates are 3.7X more likely to have Covid outbreaks than schools with mandates.

BUT MAH FREEEEEEDOMS vs. Science.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:12 PM   #2766
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

We've passed the 700,000 Covid deaths.

Thanks, anti-vaxxers and Trumpers! You're all 'winners'! I'm sure those who have died appreciate your 'principles'.
Makes me miss those early estimates like 70,000 deaths total.
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:26 PM   #2767
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Makes me miss those early estimates like 70,000 deaths total.
Don't worry, it'll disappear like magic by Easter.
Old 3rd October 2021, 08:13 AM   #2768
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

What is really sobering is, the daily/weekly death rate in the US is now as high as it was in April 2020 -- with some daily totals actually surpassing any we saw back then -- back when we had just begun to grapple with the virus and had no vaccine and limited testing capability.

Last year's late Fall/early Winter 'Holiday surge' is still the deadliest time period. (A surge that was, by the way, accurately predicted by Fauci and the CDC.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Death toll 10022021.jpg (47.3 KB, 11 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 01:03 AM   #2769
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

We're finally on the downswing of the first delta wave. Looks like by the first
of November will reach 85,000 cases a day, and on the first of December will
reach 20,000 cases a day, finally reaching just 50 cases a day in January.

Old 4th October 2021, 01:23 AM   #2770
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
We're finally on the downswing of the first delta wave. Looks like by the first
of November will reach 85,000 cases a day, and on the first of December will
reach 20,000 cases a day, finally reaching just 50 cases a day in January.
That would be nice if true. A number of holidays are coming up, though. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years gatherings in particular will probably raise the numbers.
Old 4th October 2021, 03:04 AM   #2771
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...reaching just 50 cases a day in January...
Do you ever revisit your predictions? From last March-

First Of Month Vaccine No Vaccine Opening Up
March 34,541 54,180 65,182
April 6,450 15,850 44,729
May 1,420 5,778 23,998
June 124 1,341 6,260
July 13 396 1,381
August 1 117 211

Here's the end of the year case totals.

Third Wave With Vaccine: 29,013,728
Third Wave With Vaccine: 30,875,460
Opening Up With Vaccine: 31,829,237
Seven day averages in August were actually over 100,000 new cases per day. We're at the beginning of October -- not the end of the year -- and total cases are already above 43 million.
Old 4th October 2021, 10:05 AM   #2772
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It seems to me that the people who are apoplectic over losing their job after taking a stand against vaccination are the same people that cheered when Colin Kaepernick lost his job for taking a stand against police brutality.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 10:12 AM   #2773
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It seems to me that the people who are apoplectic over losing their job after taking a stand against vaccination are the same people that cheered when Colin Kaepernick lost his job for taking a stand against police brutality.
Both unverifiable and uninteresting.
Old 4th October 2021, 11:19 AM   #2774
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Both unverifiable and uninteresting.
If you think that, I suggest:

Quote:
and

Quote:
Old 4th October 2021, 04:41 PM   #2775
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
That would be nice if true. A number of holidays are coming up, though.
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years gatherings in particular
will probably raise the numbers.

Yes, I expect a few bumps along the way. But it'll likely decay way down.

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Do you ever revisit your predictions?

No, I don't.

I wind up chasing the latest wave rather than looking at the previous one.

As the CDC Variant Chart shows the proportion of alpha variant cases
decreasing until they no longer register as a percentage. The numbers
for my projection of future covid cases in March depend upon data about
the alpha variant.

I didn't see the data for the delta variant as distinct from the alpha until
the middle of July. I expect it will decay down until the middle of December,
when a new variant of the delta virus appears. Amazing the clear bell shaped
curve has become now that we have a single variant, B.16172, constitutes
more than 99% of all cases.

I probably should say that my predictions have limits of about two to three
months after which they become less accurate. Literally, I cannot know about
a virus variant and its properties until it appears in the data.

Quote:
Seven day averages in August were actually over 100,000 new cases per day.
We're at the beginning of October -- not the end of the year -- and total cases
are already above 43 million.

Right now I suspect we'll end the year with 46 or 47 million cases total
and not more than 750,000 deaths from the virus.

P. S. Just for fun look at this graph: Daily Cases IHME.

Despite having better data access, high speed computational models,
and artificial intelligence, I think they're wrong about this. Again, I don't
see any new variant that will produce curves quite like that red one, or
for the matter, the purple one either.
Old 5th October 2021, 02:48 AM   #2776
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Journalists Face Disaster as COVID-19 Deaths Drop

The COVID-19 pandemic in the U.S. is ebbing, but you would never know it from the headlines. Bad news, accurate or not, sells. And in the case of COVID-19, it also supports the journalists’ prejudices.

The seven-day moving average of new COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations peaked and started to decline in early September. Nationwide, COVID-19 hospitalization rates have decreased 17 percent over the past two weeks. Only 19 states had any increase, and many were small. The remaining 31 states and the District of Columbia saw hospitalization rates decline. But that hasn’t stopped journalists from publicizing localized exceptions to the good news.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...9-deaths-drop/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 01:44 PM   #2777
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Journalists Face Disaster as COVID-19 Deaths Drop

The COVID-19 pandemic in the U.S. is ebbing, but you would never know it from the headlines. Bad news, accurate or not, sells. And in the case of COVID-19, it also supports the journalists’ prejudices.

The seven-day moving average of new COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations peaked and started to decline in early September. Nationwide, COVID-19 hospitalization rates have decreased 17 percent over the past two weeks. Only 19 states had any increase, and many were small. The remaining 31 states and the District of Columbia saw hospitalization rates decline. But that hasn’t stopped journalists from publicizing localized exceptions to the good news

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...9-deaths-drop/
You do realize that the National Review is a far right source, don't you?

Quote:
Overall, we rate the National Review Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right and Mostly Factual in reporting due to a few misleading claims and occasional use of poor sources, and one failed fact check.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/national-review/

They are true to form in this story and misleading. Yes, overall the declining trend is good but "only" 19 states increased. LOL. Also, they report that reporters are still giving local reports of hospitals being in crisis mode and overwhelmed and try to downplay that with saying the overall trend is down. However, they fail to deny that the reporting in the article they linked to is accurate:

Quote:
As of Friday, the ICUs in Alabama, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky and Texas all exceeded 90 percent capacity. The ICUs in Alaska and Montana, meanwhile, were 84 percent and 77 percent full, respectively, according to federal data.
Quote:
Idaho is another state where hospitals are enduring high stress, with officials instituting crisis standards of care statewide earlier this month. This past week, there was a record number of COVID-19 hospitalizations, said Toni Lawson, vice president for government relations at the Idaho Hospital Association.
This NR article is a classic case of misrepresentation in order to push a right wing agenda of downplaying the Covid 19 situation.

Compared to the National Review's right wing bias check on Mediabias/Factcheck, the article cited in The Hill receives a "Least Biased" rating:

Quote:
Overall, we rate The Hill Least Biased based on balanced editorial positions and news reporting that is low biased. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High, due to previous opinion columns promoting unproven claims.
The cited article was not an opinion piece.
Old 5th October 2021, 04:04 PM   #2778
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

National Review on one point was sketpical about Trumpism, but has since seen the light and embraced the Chosen One.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 09:23 AM   #2779
marting
Master Poster

Republican lieutenant governor 'goes rouge' after governor leaves state

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

Well, his face did look a bit pale.
Old 6th October 2021, 11:08 AM   #2780
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Republican lieutenant governor 'goes rouge' after governor leaves state

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

Well, his face did look a bit pale.

Link doesn’t work
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 11:34 AM   #2781
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Link doesn’t work
It did for a while, video unavailable, now it forwards to Hannity interviewing DJ Jr.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 01:40 PM   #2782
marting
Master Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
It did for a while, video unavailable, now it forwards to Hannity interviewing DJ Jr.
Yeah. gone for me now too. The good ones die young. Probably got a lot of feedback from people noticing rogue != rouge.
Old 6th October 2021, 01:41 PM   #2783
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This is the story about the lt. governor of Idaho going "rogue":

Quote:
Idaho's governor accuses lieutenant governor of attempting to deploy National Guard to border without authorization

An extraordinary public feud between Idaho's two top leaders escalated on Tuesday when the state's governor, Brad Little, accused fellow Republican Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin of overstepping her authority by ordering the state National Guard to the US-Mexico border while he was in Texas visiting the border.

McGeachin, who is running for governor next year, also drew Little's ire on Tuesday when she attempted to broaden his executive order banning so-called vaccine passports.
"Before I even left the state, the Lt. Governor unabashedly requested information from the Adjutant General to deploy our National Guard to the border, the same place I am visiting today to work with my fellow Republican governors on solutions to the crisis," Little said in a statement posted on Twitter. He traveled to Texas to meet with nine other governors to discuss border security and take a boat tour of the Rio Grande River.
Idaho's Constitution says that in the event that the governor leaves the state, the lieutenant governor takes control of "the powers, duties and emoluments" of the governorship until the governor returns

Quote:
Also on Tuesday, McGeachin tweeted that she "fixed" Little's executive order banning vaccine passports to include banning schools, colleges, and universities from requiring proof of Covid-19 vaccinations or a negative Covid-19 test.
"I will continue to fight for your individual Liberty!," the lieutenant governor said.

Eight minutes later, Little tweeted, "I will be rescinding and reversing any actions taken by the Lt. Governor when I return."
Quote:
In the wake of Little's stay-at-home order at the onset of the pandemic last year, McGeachin wrote in an op-ed, "I lose sleep at night because the heavy hand of our government is hurting so many Idahoans." That May, McGeachin issued an executive order banning mask mandates while Little was unaware and out of town, which Little subsequently repealed.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/06/polit...hin/index.html
Old 6th October 2021, 01:50 PM   #2784
kevbo
Thinker

Link doesn’t work
Try this one from MSN, also.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=uxbndlbing

And apparently, the Lt Gov is already made it clear of her intention to run against the Gov, not that he is all that wonderful anyway.

Last edited by kevbo; 6th October 2021 at 01:59 PM.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 03:07 PM   #2785
carlitos
"más divertido"

Thanks - I read the link. Good thing that they don't have any real problems in Idaho right now.

In other news, do anti-vaccine murder stories go here or into the Conspiracy Theory thread?

Originally Posted by Baltimore Sun
A Cumberland man allegedly killed his brother and sister-in-law in their Ellicott City home last week because his brother, a pharmacist, administered COVID-19 vaccines, according to Howard County court documents.

Jeffrey Burnham told his mother he had to confront his older brother, Brian Robinette, because he was poisoning people by administering the COVID-19 vaccine, telling his mother, “Brian knows something,” according to new charging documents filed against Burnham.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 03:14 PM   #2786
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Thanks - I read the link. Good thing that they don't have any real problems in Idaho right now.

In other news, do anti-vaccine murder stories go here or into the Conspiracy Theory thread?
It's isn't enought that anti-vax jagoffs spread dangerous misinformation, now they're just straight up murdering with no filter.

Get ****** nutjobs.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 04:15 PM   #2787
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'd bet Burnham has a history of mental illness.

Robinette? I wonder if he's related to Biden. Unusual surname.
Old 7th October 2021, 06:07 AM   #2788
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Quote:
Why People Who Don’t Trust Vaccines Are Embracing Unproven Drugs by Dylan Scott

“On the face of it, it doesn’t make sense that you don’t trust doctors
and science, but then the next moment, you’re sharing news about some
other medical cure and taking that and putting it in your body,” Jay Van Bavel,
director of the Social Identity and Morality Lab at New York University, told me.
“These are not trivial beliefs. These are some of the most significant decisions
you can make in a once-in-a-century pandemic.”

In communities of hardened vaccine skeptics, new information isn’t necessarily
treated as an opportunity to reassess their beliefs. Instead, new facts are seen
either as affirmation of what this community already believes or as a distraction
that should be dismissed because it doesn’t neatly sort into their anti-vaccine
narrative.

“People listen to people ‘from their group’ and whom they think they can trust,”
David Dunning, a professor of psychology at the University of Michigan, told me.
“People really don’t know what science is, and so do you feel you can trust the
person giving you advice, rather than appraising their expertise, becomes the
thing.”

Oh, so it's little bit like a cult.
Old 7th October 2021, 12:33 PM   #2789
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, so it's little bit like a cult.
Quote:
“People listen to people ‘from their group’ and whom they think they can trust,”
David Dunning, a professor of psychology at the University of Michigan, told me.
“People really don’t know what science is, and so do you feel you can trust the
person giving you advice, rather than appraising their expertise, becomes the
thing.”

A cult of sheep who declare they aren't sheep and are "thinking for themselves".
Old 7th October 2021, 01:34 PM   #2790
sphenisc
Philosopher

A cult of sheep who declare they aren't sheep and are "thinking for themselves".
Typical Psychology Professor, thinks he knows more than he actually does.
Old 7th October 2021, 02:01 PM   #2791
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
I honestly don't know if you're being sarcastic there or not. Poe's Law is truer than ever during the Dark Age of Trump.
Old 7th October 2021, 02:44 PM   #2792
sphenisc
Philosopher

I honestly don't know if you're being sarcastic there or not. Poe's Law is truer than ever during the Dark Age of Trump.
It's what passes for wit inside my head. Don't pay me no mind.

Did you note who the professor is?
Old 7th October 2021, 03:52 PM   #2793
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Social Behavior of Sheep
Quote:
Sheep are a prey species, and their only defense is to flee. Sheep display an intensely gregarious social instinct that allows them to bond closely to other sheep and preferentially to related flock members. Flock mentality movements protect individuals from predators...

Sheep are likely to be more intelligent than generally regarded. They respond readily to food calls, may problem solve, learn their names, carry packs, and can even be clicker trained.
But not all sheep are smart. Some think being in the flock just restricts their freedoms, so they wander off to greener pastures. 'Wolves are a hoax' they bleat, ignoring the distant warning calls as they nuzzle into the grass...
Old 7th October 2021, 04:37 PM   #2794
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

LOL! I get it now: Dunning-Kruger! That actually was quite witty. Well done.
Old 7th October 2021, 04:47 PM   #2795
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Social Behavior of Sheep

Quote:
Sheep are a prey species, and their only defense is to flee. Sheep display an intensely gregarious social instinct that allows them to bond closely to other sheep and preferentially to related flock members. Flock mentality movements protect individuals from predators...

Sheep are likely to be more intelligent than generally regarded. They respond readily to food calls, may problem solve, learn their names, carry packs, and can even be clicker trained.
I think some of the sheep I've seen interviewed at Trump rallies probably do respond when called to dinner, may solve simple problems like "Do I wear my MAGA hat or my TRUMP 2024 hat?". I think most of them learn their names and could be clicker trained. After all, Trump has trained them to chant things like "Like her up" and "Hang Mike Pence".

Quote:
But not all sheep are smart. Some think being in the flock just restricts their freedoms, so they wander off to greener pastures. 'Wolves are a hoax' they bleat, ignoring the distant warning calls as they nuzzle into the grass...
"The wolves will be gone by Easter. The wolves will just magically disappear!"
Old 7th October 2021, 05:30 PM   #2796
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I got the joke because I was getting ready to check if he's the one.
Now I've put off looking it up.

Eta: Couldn't resist... it checks out.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 7th October 2021 at 05:33 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 07:06 AM   #2797
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Good luck traveling anywhere when you live in Alaska and you're banned by Alaska Airlines.
And now the dimwit has covid.

Lawmaker Who Couldn't Fly Because She Wouldn't Wear a Mask Now Has COVID
Old 15th October 2021, 01:28 PM   #2798
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
From your link:

Quote:
Reinbold also wrote that she had taken Ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug commonly used for livestock like horses and cows that is unproven as a COVID-19 treatment: "I am blessed to have gotten Ivirmectin [sic] the 'de-covider.' "
I wonder if her 'naturopath' recommended the ivermectin or a vet.

Quote:
The Republican continued in her Facebook post: "My naturopath gave me tips too- that I am sure will work! I will update you in a few days. I plan to keep my promise to stay OUT of the hospital- some of them seem like scary places these days."
I bet all those people inundating hospitals with C19 cases planned on staying out of the hospital, too.

Old 16th October 2021, 04:34 PM   #2799
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Well, I'm seeing a puzzling shift in the daily delta.

Normally the curve goes sharply down after the peak.

I'm not seeing any change in the variants. So who knows?
Old 16th October 2021, 05:14 PM   #2800
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Don't worry, it'll disappear like magic by Easter.
Well, he never said what year

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics