IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination

View Poll Results: Have you been vaccinated?
Yes, I am fully vaccinated. 172 86.43%
I have received 1 vaccination shot 17 8.54%
No, I intend to but haven't got around to it. 3 1.51%
No, There are personal medical reasons that I should not receive the vaccine 1 0.50%
No, COVID is a hoax. The vaccine is part of some Communist plot. 4 2.01%
No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science. 2 1.01%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th October 2021, 07:26 AM   #601
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Because we are on immunosuppressants, we are scheduled for our Moderna boosters Friday.

Sorry to cut the line Stacyhs.
Old 5th October 2021, 07:50 AM   #602
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I am not only fully vaccinated, I got a booster vaccine last weekend.
Old 5th October 2021, 11:01 AM   #603
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Because we are on immunosuppressants, we are scheduled for our Moderna boosters Friday.

I heard today that Moderna and J&J's requests for a third booster approval is to be heard next week.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 01:27 PM   #604
Fidelio
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Come on Moderna! I'm due for my booster!
Indeed I'm reduced to using a boy scout compass to find north. And my wi-fi has been getting spotty.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 01:46 PM   #605
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Indeed I'm reduced to using a boy scout compass to find north. And my wi-fi has been getting spotty.
It's your magnetic personality.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 02:21 PM   #606
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Kid Nay had his second Pfizer shot yesterday so now the family are fully vaxxed, yay.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 03:40 PM   #607
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, I was angry after I got my second shot and nothing happened other then a sore arm and a mild cold for a day or so. I wanted to be magnitized! I wanted to have all those cool magnetic powers that Magneto had in the X men movies and comics...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 04:13 PM   #608
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hey, I was angry after I got my second shot and nothing happened other then a sore arm and a mild cold for a day or so. I wanted to be magnitized! I wanted to have all those cool magnetic powers that Magneto had in the X men movies and comics...
Same thing after my third shot. I was counting on being magnetic so I wouldn't lose my keys.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 04:19 PM   #609
Tomboy
Thinker

Got my third Pfizer shot this evening. Still not magnetic. No 5g, either. Wasn't 5g supposed to be part of this deal?
Tomboy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 06:45 PM   #610
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tomboy View Post
Got my third Pfizer shot this evening. Still not magnetic. No 5g, either. Wasn't 5g supposed to be part of this deal?
So you won't be asked to head the League of Evil Mutants ?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 07:05 PM   #611
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Only if not given 3- 4 doses. With the full course, it is 99-100% effective.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pol...rotection.html
That's the modern vaccine, introduced in 1987. Grandpa's vaccine was the Salk vaccine introduced in 1955.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 07:19 PM   #612
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
That's the modern vaccine, introduced in 1987. Grandpa's vaccine was the Salk vaccine introduced in 1955.
That depended on the type of polio:

Quote:
The Salk vaccine had been 60–70% effective against PV1 (poliovirus type 1), over 90% effective against PV2 and PV3, and 94% effective against the development of bulbar polio.
It was actually Albert Sabin who, in 1961, formulated the one which immunizes against 3 types of polio. That's the one most of us who are in our 60's and younger remember getting up until the late 1980's.
Old 6th October 2021, 08:44 AM   #613
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
<drivel snip>
Bollocks. You have no clue do you?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 08:46 AM   #614
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Tomboy View Post
We have 5G, but no vaccine booster yet.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 08:47 AM   #615
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I was really hoping for some sort of guidance on a booster/second J&J shot before the holidays since I'm guessing we're going to have another surge during/right after them.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 09:10 AM   #616
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I was really hoping for some sort of guidance on a booster/second J&J shot before the holidays since I'm guessing we're going to have another surge during/right after them.
Looks like next week they'll have some formal guidance from the FDA's Vaccine and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (that's a ******* mouthful).

I got the J&J and just yesterday got off quarantine from getting COVID. I kind of wish they had let me get a booster before. They're saying at 6 months, and I'm at the 6 month deadline.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 01:15 PM   #617
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Mrs S and I got our Pfizer booster shots on Monday. We had the common mild reactions with the first two vaccinations, fatigue, mild aches and so on. This one has been a breeze.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 01:29 PM   #618
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe the Booster shot will give me my Magnetic powers, so i can hurl cars around just like Magneto in the X men.......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th October 2021, 09:09 PM   #619
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Now I'm just waiting for clear guidance on boosters, especially since I got the J&J vaccine.
You might get answers in the General Covid thread in Science & Medicine.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=354459
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 01:34 AM   #620
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Mod WarningMany posts moved to the thread in Conspiracy Theories.

This thread is not the place for CTs, nor for general discussion of vaccinations etc, but about whether you have been vaccinated. There are threads for other aspects of Covid-19, etc.

Thank you!
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 05:09 AM   #621
SteveAitch
Critical Thinker

Another reason to be vaccinated - less chance of getting Covid Toe!

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 06:33 AM   #622
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Moderna boosters for both of us yesterday. Same as before, just a bit of injection site sensitivity. As long as I don't touch the area I don't feel it.

I must have got the polarity backwards, my personality seems to be repelling more people than usual. Knew I should have went with the right arm for all the injections!!!
Old 9th October 2021, 07:48 AM   #623
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Moderna boosters for both of us yesterday. Same as before, just a bit of injection site sensitivity. As long as I don't touch the area I don't feel it.
Have Moderna boosters been FDA-approved? Or do you just go to the pharmacy and say "gimme?"
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 07:52 AM   #624
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Online process required to get an appointment.
Where is all this? In many areas getting the covid vaccine at a pharmacy has now become a walk-up process.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 08:04 AM   #625
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Depends. CVS went back to making online appointments for all vaccines. I had to do this to get my second shingles and flu vaccines yesterday.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 08:19 AM   #626
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Depends. CVS went back to making online appointments for all vaccines. I had to do this to get my second shingles and flu vaccines yesterday.
Around here it's not dependent on the company, but on the individual store. Seems it might be dependent on staffing at each store.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 09:37 AM   #627
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Around here it's not dependent on the company, but on the individual store. Seems it might be dependent on staffing at each store.
Could also be a matter of volume. Stores with high traffic can do walk-ups no problem. Stores with low traffic need to schedule people in time windows to not spoil a batch once it is opened.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 11:16 AM   #628
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Have Moderna boosters been FDA-approved? Or do you just go to the pharmacy and say "gimme?"
Don't know.

Back in August the emergency use authorizations was expanded to include immunocompromised individuals.

As I noted before...

They actually contacted us and said 'come get it'. Not the FDA, mind you, just the place where we had gotten the other doses.
Old 11th October 2021, 02:29 PM   #629
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

I got my supplemental (3rd) Moderna shot on Friday. I was thinking of just collecting vaccinations like Pokemon and drop by pharmacies as I get around and get whatever vaccines they are offering...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 03:34 PM   #630
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Get a grip. The world is dying to give you a vaccine and a ******* ******* job at plenty of locations. Seriously, they've got Jack Black ready to reenact that scene from "Tropic Thunder" where he's tied to the tree just waiting for you. How hard could this be? Sixty-five percent of Americans have successfully negotiated this process.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 06:43 PM   #631
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hell, I'll go get my Moderna booster as soon as it's OK'd. Looks like Moderna is asking for approval of a half dose booster.
Old 12th October 2021, 06:56 PM   #632
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now let's see if Kylie Irving gets the jab after being told by the New Jersey Nets to either get vaccinated or sit the NBA season out.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th October 2021, 07:02 AM   #633
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Having had my second jab in May, and being over 50, I'm expecting to be called for my booster (Pfizer, I believe) in November.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:18 PM   #634
mgidm86
Philosopher

Some big dumb looking moron was in the medical clinic waiting room this morning - no mask, talking with the recepionists for at least 10 minutes. I'm wondering why nobody told him to put a mask on (it was on his chin). It's a gawdam hospital!

Then the big dummy mentions that he's not vaccinated (as I'd guessed) and it's a "personal decision". At that point he was told to wear a mask, right as I was taking a breath to tell him that no, your decision is not personal you stupid sonofabitch.

Then they wondered why my blood pressure was high on my first reading. I think I'm going to start rooting for Covid.
Old 13th October 2021, 08:33 PM   #635
Fidelio
Muse

Why was not this feller escorted out the door?
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics