IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 7th January 2021, 04:03 PM   #161
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The coup attempt doesn't consist solely of yesterday's events. Its been underway since the election.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:20 PM   #162
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't think it's going to happen. I mean it would require Republicans to have principles and courage. There might be a few out there, but there are very few.
There are a few who can fake it, but suddenly it’s time to vote and they’re right back to being traitors
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:21 PM   #163
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
DEFSEC and Congressional leaders communicate all the time without impropriety.

Do you have evidence of any?

I also seriously doubt DEFSEC and POTUS never communicated at all.

This is right-wing hysteria.

Mayor of D.C. properly requested guard activation. DEFSEC has discretion to activate. The President could issue a directive to rescind that order, but he doesn't have to personally order the DEFSEC to do it.
so you think it's all business as usual then? no particular reason why the pentagon would avoid talking to the president?

alright man
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:22 PM   #164
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Well gosh, we certainly can’t risk resentment from Republicans! Why, I can’t even imagine what that would look like.

Perhaps instead, they should each be brought a hot cup of cocoa and given a foot massage.
Well, Trump, his enablers in Congress, those scamps that protested their way into the Capitol, they all have leaned a big lesson, to paraphrase Susan Collins.

That lesson of course is with Trump and his cronies and enablers, you can get away with anything. Zero consequences. Just wait to see what they're cooking up for the inaugural. We should start wringing our hands in protest now.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:23 PM   #165
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The coup attempt doesn't consist solely of yesterday's events. Its been underway since the election.
I'm more convinced than ever that this was a coup. And you're right it has been underway since the election.

That said, it was a clumsy coup. And that's because Trump did it in his way. Trump's attempted coup included plausible deniability. (I'm channeling Colonel North)

Trump hoped that if he could cause enough chaos and doubt he could keep Congress from counting the votes and somehow keep power. And Rudy was involved entirely. As were others on his staff. The hampered transition. They replaced the Secretary of Defense and others.

I think over time, we are going to see real evidence of a true conspiracy.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:26 PM   #166
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The important thing is that they resent being forced to go on record, and they express themselves by voting against you, and you lose.

Basically, never force a vote on something unless you are confident you are going to win it. The people who are on the fence will vote against you if you push too soon.
Let them vote against. Then their refusal to do the right thing is on record when they try to distance themselves from Trump down the road.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:50 PM   #167
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

The important thing is that they resent being forced to go on record, and they express themselves by voting against you, and you lose.

Basically, never force a vote on something unless you are confident you are going to win it. The people who are on the fence will vote against you if you push too soon.
The problem is that you are also going "on record" by not drafting articles of impeachment and putting them to a vote. What you are saying "on record" is that, as a politician, you are OK with what just happened. Right now, that is deadly in the medium and long term for Democrats. What's worse, it is also deadly for this country as a democracy.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:59 PM   #168
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Let them vote against. Then their refusal to do the right thing is on record when they try to distance themselves from Trump down the road.
It would be worth it just for the stain of having been the first US President to be impeached twice.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:02 PM   #169
johnny karate

The right wing terrorists who attacked police while invading the Capitol have been upgraded to cop killers.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:04 PM   #170
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Cop dies after Trump riot.
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – A U.S. Capitol Police officer has died from injuries sustained during violent riots at the Capitol on Wednesday.

A source tells KRON4’s Alexandra Limon that the police officer was hit in the head with a fire extinguisher by a rioter and was taken off life support.
Now I'm sure of it: Trump and his patriots will learn a big valuable lesson from this.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #171
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

No need to prosecute; we might lose.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 7th January 2021, 05:10 PM   #172
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Someone complained that Ashli Babbit was 'bigged up' being called a fourteen-year US Air Vet, when Black police victims have their criminal records dragged out. Well, ladies and gentlemen, we now have Babbit's rap sheet:

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Airforce vet Trump rioter, 35, who was shot dead by cops while storming Capitol had charges of reckless endangerment, malicious destruction of property and tampering with a car on her rap sheet
Ashli Babbitt, 35, died from a gunshot wound to the chest after she joined dozens of protestors who stormed the Capitol on Wednesday
A witness to the shooting suggested she was shot by police when she tried to climb through a broken window to get into congressional chambers
DailyMail.com can reveal she was previously prosecuted for reckless endangerment, malicious destruction of property in July 2016
The 14-year Air Force veteran was also the subject of two restraining orders
Babbitt, then named McEntree, was also prosecuted for tampering with a 2012 Ford on a country road in Prince Frederick, a Maryland town outside D.C.
Court records reveal police found probable cause for the two criminal charges, but Calvert County court acquitted her of the reckless endangerment charge
She was found not guilty of malicious destruction or tampering
Babbitt was subject to a temporary peace order filed in February 2017
An unidentified loved one sent Babbitt a text as she flew to DC for the protest,
'Be safe. I cannot lose you,' the sender wrote, as Babbitt texted back a selfie from her airplane seat wearing a 'Trump 2020' mask
She wrote: 'Tons of trump supporters on my plane!!!! I'll watch my 6' – using the military term for looking out behind you
DAILY MAIL

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:12 PM   #173
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I just saw Trump's latest tape. Who got to him? He almost sounded repentant, said the Coronavirus was real and had killed "countless" Americans, told everyone Biden was the President, and threw all of yesterday's insurgents under the bus.

That cannot have been Trump.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 7th January 2021 at 05:14 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:14 PM   #174
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
I just saw Trump's latest tape. Who got to him? He almost sounded repentant, said the Coronavirus was real and had killed "countless" Americans, told everyone Biden was the President, and threw all of yesterday's insurgents under the bus.

Norm
NVM; bad joke.

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 7th January 2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 7th January 2021, 05:18 PM   #175
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Norm
Ah, but he is still averring the election was rigged.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:21 PM   #176
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Ah, but he is still averring the election was rigged.
Then he's still spreading nonsense to his supporters.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 7th January 2021, 05:25 PM   #177
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The right wing terrorists who attacked police while invading the Capitol have been upgraded to cop killers.
Did they help the extinguisher killer down the stairs?

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 7th January 2021, 05:25 PM   #178
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He's still lying about sending in the National Guard.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:34 PM   #179
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Is she still sulking about that yob's feet on her desk?
Well, that's a revealing remark. Revealing, not surprising.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:46 PM   #180
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I just saw Trump's latest tape. Who got to him?
His Cabinet did, by pretending (and letting the press report) that they were seriously considering a 25th Amendment intervention.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:49 PM   #181
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Quote:
She wrote: 'Tons of trump supporters on my plane!!!! I'll watch my 6'

She was watching her 6 when she got shot in the face.

I probably shouldn't find that funny, but I do. Typical Trump Competence.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:00 PM   #182
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

Now I'm sure of it: Trump and his patriots will learn a big valuable lesson from this.
More blood on Trump's hands.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:01 PM   #183
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Officially conceited, losers!

https://www.winknews.com/2021/01/07/...-social-media/
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:01 PM   #184
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Someone complained that Ashli Babbit was 'bigged up' being called a fourteen-year US Air Vet, when Black police victims have their criminal records dragged out. Well, ladies and gentlemen, we now have Babbit's rap sheet:

DAILY MAIL
Piece of **** got what she deserved. Lots more should have.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:02 PM   #185
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Then he's still spreading nonsense to his supporters.
he allso said he instantly sent the National Guard in......another lie.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:03 PM   #186
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW the CHief of the Capitol Police has resigned.
Probalby a "You can't fire me I quit" situation.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:07 PM   #187
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
WINK news, SW Florida. Trump country for certain. The viewer's heads must have exploded.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 7th January 2021, 06:09 PM   #188
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
BTW the CHief of the Capitol Police has resigned.
Probalby a "You can't fire me I quit" situation.
What's the guy gonna do? He had to know his job was done for after yesterday.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:11 PM   #189
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No, but what else would make someone incapable after they are elected?

I'm including mental health under "medical". I like the "Captain Queeg" analogy, but I would include Queeg's condition as a mental health issue.

I think Trump could be considered to have mental health issues even beyond the malignant narcissism that he has had since birth. I think since the election he has lapsed into a combination of delusion and depression that makes him unfit for office. Now, if someone can just sell that idea to his cabinet.
Correction: psychopaths are born; sociopaths are made. Trump is sociopath. Malignant narcissists (NPD) are likely made but may have a genetic predisposition. From the Mayo Clinic:

Quote:
It's not known what causes narcissistic personality disorder. As with personality development and with other mental health disorders, the cause of narcissistic personality disorder is likely complex. Narcissistic personality disorder may be linked to:

Environment ― mismatches in parent-child relationships with either excessive adoration or excessive criticism that is poorly attuned to the child's experience
Genetics ― inherited characteristics
Neurobiology — the connection between the brain and behavior and thinking
Quote:
Although the cause of narcissistic personality disorder isn't known, some researchers think that in biologically vulnerable children, parenting styles that are overprotective or neglectful may have an impact. Genetics and neurobiology also may play a role in development of narcissistic personality disorder.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:12 PM   #190
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I think you meant "conceded", but that works, too.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:19 PM   #191
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't think it's going to happen. I mean it would require Republicans to have principles and courage. There might be a few out there, but there are very few.
“Profiles In Sewage”
Old 7th January 2021, 06:21 PM   #192
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, Blue Lives Matter.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:23 PM   #193
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
There are a few who can fake it, but suddenly it’s time to vote and they’re right back to being traitors
They must have taken lessons from my ex.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:42 PM   #194
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Is it true that if Trump is impeached and convicted he won't get the usual pension and other ex President perks?
Sentencing on an impeachment conviction can be almost anything Congress wants it to be.

They can say that he can run for president again, that he can’t run for president again, or that he can’t be elected or appointed to any federal office.

I know they can vote to take away the pension. I have no idea if they can vote for the federal death penalty.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:44 PM   #195
johnny karate

The police officer reported as dead is still alive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBegn...54329137651713
Old 7th January 2021, 06:46 PM   #196
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The police officer reported as dead is still alive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBegn...54329137651713
Well that changes everything.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 7th January 2021, 06:46 PM   #197
portlandatheist
Illuminator

We could have avoided this entire mess if we would have just given the Trump voters participation trophies
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:47 PM   #198
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Sentencing on an impeachment conviction can be almost anything Congress wants it to be.

They can say that he can run for president again, that he can’t run for president again, or that he can’t be elected or appointed to any federal office.

I know they can vote to take away the pension. I have no idea if they can vote for the federal death penalty.
No it can't be. The only things impeachment can do is remove him from office and prevent him from running for any Federal office. Taking away his pension would be a separate action. It is NOT a criminal prosecution in any manner.
Old 7th January 2021, 07:49 PM   #199
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

36 year old Father of Five

This is sad.

36 year old Father of five Adam Johnson seen gleefully walking off and waving to cameras with the Speaker of the House of Representatives podium. He could face serious felony charges.

Terrible for his family. How irresponsible can you get?
Old 7th January 2021, 07:52 PM   #200
angrysoba
Philosophile

Norm
Bah! He says he's sorry now. You have to be a fool to believe him. If there is any genuine emotion it is fear that he might now face consequences for this and wants to get away with it. But he needs to be prosecuted for this and other things.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics