IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Matt Gaetz , newsmax

Old 2nd April 2021, 12:54 PM   #201
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
One columnist says on reason why Gaetz's political career is probably doomed is that most of his fellow GOP congressmen can't stand him.
I can see it. I think DA's post was spot on.

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
He looks like the love child of Ace Ventura and Ray Liotta attending a "silly suit" costume party at Sigma Chi while trying to memorize the answers to the stolen test questions to get a solid C passing grade. High five. Smirnoff Ice chug. Dick slap! Daddy's rich. Good enough for government work. Sexy at any age.
Check out my girlfriend's nude pics!

Thanks dude.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 01:28 PM   #202
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
One columnist says on reason why Gaetz's political career is probably doomed is that most of his fellow GOP congressmen can't stand him.
They can't stand Ted Cruz either, and it hasn't hurt him a bit.
Old 2nd April 2021, 01:44 PM   #203
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
But consider this - how many times have we seen them circle the wagons around someone who was clearly just as guilty of the same kind of creepy/illegal stuff? Rapey McDrunkface, Judge Hebephile, "President" Trump.

So why abandon this creep now? Why aren't they doubling down on him like they did with everyone else?

The way I figure it, they've got some inside scoop on some things he did that are even worse than what we've heard - so much worse that even the modern GOP realized they couldn't pull off saving this guy.

And that's got to be pretty fracking bad. It will be interesting to see what the FBI and DoJ have to say when they're finally ready to pull the trigger on this guy.
It's likely that given the association with the child sex trafficker that things are probably worse than they even seem now for Gaetz, but that doesn't need to be the case to explain the GOP behavior.

Gaetz can't help them get or keep any power currently. His seat is unimportant and will be filled by another GOP creep anyway. As an orator and influencer, he isn't of any real use for them.

And most importantly, supporting him won't 'stick it to the libs' in any way. He's not even useful as a tool for their hate.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 01:50 PM   #204
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
They can't stand Ted Cruz either, and it hasn't hurt him a bit.
The question is, if Cruz put his foot in it the way Gaetz has, would his fellow GOP rally to his defence? I don't think so. No one actually likes sleazy jackasses, even if sometimes it's expedient to gladhand them.
Old 2nd April 2021, 02:26 PM   #205
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Ted Cruz Gets Pass from Republicans after Cancun Trip (Bloomberg, Feb. 19, 2021)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 02:39 PM   #206
carlitos
"más divertido"

They told me that, if I didn't vote for Trump, child sex traffickers would be in positions of power in the federal government. And they were right!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 03:33 PM   #207
carlitos
"más divertido"

Creepy-ass voice mail from Greenberg and Gaetz left for Florida State Rep Anna Eskamni telling her that they were "just talking about her lovely qualities." Gross.

https://soundcloud.com/thedailybeast...joel-greenberg
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 03:46 PM   #208
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Creepy-ass voice mail from Greenberg and Gaetz left for Florida State Rep Anna Eskamni telling her that they were "just talking about her lovely qualities." Gross.

Its looking more and more like Gaetz is an actual sex-fiend!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 03:53 PM   #209
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Everything this guy touches turns to weird.
Old 2nd April 2021, 04:45 PM   #210
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Not just him, pretty much his whole party these days.
Old 2nd April 2021, 06:23 PM   #211
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Not just him, pretty much his whole party these days.
I see another book in the works!

Everything Trump Touches Dies
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:08 PM   #212
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
But consider this - how many times have we seen them circle the wagons around someone who was clearly just as guilty of the same kind of creepy/illegal stuff? Rapey McDrunkface, Judge Hebephile, "President" Trump.

So why abandon this creep now? Why aren't they doubling down on him like they did with everyone else?

The way I figure it, they've got some inside scoop on some things he did that are even worse than what we've heard - so much worse that even the modern GOP realized they couldn't pull off saving this guy.
Maybe it is a case of him not being high-profile enough.

Trump was a presidential candidate... Cut ties and you lose any hope of winning/retaining the White House. Drinks McRapeface was a supreme Court nominee... Cut him loose and it makes Republicans look "weak" to their base.

But some low-level Congress critter like Gaetz, who's main defining feature is how much he sucks up to Trump? Any potential embarrassment he might bring is not worth the benefit. That one seat won't make a difference in the house of representatives between now and the next midterm, and if he is forced out, the seat is solidly red, so the next Republican in the district will probably win anyways.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:43 PM   #213
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I imagine his lawyer is just tickled about the interview on Carlson. It's exactly what every defense attorney says their clients should do.
Isn't this exactly what Rudy Giuliani would advise? Get indignant on Fox, go on the offense with some bizarre rant that though weird might have been vetted for factual accuracy. His lines were so oddly specific. For example, (paraphrase) - "it's not illegal to pay travel expenses for someone you're dating who's of legal age to consent." He's already said she's 17. But the federal age of consent is 18. He's relying on massive chutzpah and/or hubris.

Per these lawyers, The federal age of consent is 18. They're just randos from Google search when I plugged in the phrase, but there were plenty of other citations (Google suggested, depressingly, that I wanted "what is legal age in the Philippines?"

Now I'm curious, did Gaetz's answers genuinely surprise Tucker C.? Wouldn't there have been some kind of prep session beforehand?

I can't believe there's someone too skanky for the House GOP.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:47 PM   #214
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I see another book in the works!

Everything Trump Touches Dies
That's from 2018. Had you missed it before? I've seen citations for ages.

I had to check I wasn't on a zombie thread.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:24 PM   #215
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
That's from 2018. Had you missed it before? I've seen citations for ages.

I had to check I wasn't on a zombie thread.

I think you missed alfaniner's point. Look at the posts he is responding to... particularly the top one.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:34 AM   #216
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Isn't this exactly what Rudy Giuliani would advise? Get indignant on Fox, go on the offense with some bizarre rant that though weird might have been vetted for factual accuracy. His lines were so oddly specific. For example, (paraphrase) - "it's not illegal to pay travel expenses for someone you're dating who's of legal age to consent." He's already said she's 17. But the federal age of consent is 18. He's relying on massive chutzpah and/or hubris.

Per these lawyers, The federal age of consent is 18. They're just randos from Google search when I plugged in the phrase, but there were plenty of other citations (Google suggested, depressingly, that I wanted "what is legal age in the Philippines?"

Now I'm curious, did Gaetz's answers genuinely surprise Tucker C.? Wouldn't there have been some kind of prep session beforehand?

I can't believe there's someone too skanky for the House GOP.
I think Tucker was surprised. I mean, he took the trouble to say it was a weird interview. This from a guy who only does weird interviews.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:36 AM   #217
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This story is just the gift that keeps on giving. Everyday we get another snippet of creepiness. I'm enjoying watching his slow destruction.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:36 AM   #218
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This story is just the gift that keeps on giving. Everyday we get another snippet of creepiness. I'm enjoying watching his slow destruction.
If he would only drag Gym Jordan down with him........
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:49 AM   #219
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I dunno. The phrase "across state lines" throws up all sorts of red flags in my head. Add the words "sexual" and "minor" and the number of red flags go up exponentially.

With our infant kids, my wife insisted we carry copies of their birth certificates when traveling out of state. That would suggest the knowledge is not uncommon.
That's so weird. I might be wrong, but I'm not aware of Canadian rules against taking people across provinces.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 12:06 PM   #220
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Best comment I have seen so far about Gaetzgate...

Youtube
"Between Matt Gaetz’s photos of naked girlfriends - one in a hula hoop no less - and Kimberly Guilfoyle’s photos of ex-boyfriends “junk,” There’s enough material for a Marjorie Taylor-Greene book club featuring the GOP “Boys n’ Girls We Bonked,” coffee table edition."
- by prez truman
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:48 PM   #221
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Tucker was definitely giving out the vibes that “hey when.... if this turns out to be true, I want it on the record that I asked the tough questions said how weird the interview was.”
It's really amazing how crooked so many right-wingers are.

It's almost as if their own accusations were projection.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:49 PM   #222
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Gaetz' office reports "Gaetz has never paid for sex!" If Trump is watching he has to be saying "Wait... everyone knows I did! I'm gonna get that sonovabitch, for thinking he's better than me!"
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:53 PM   #223
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Would an American spy in an Iranian jail do? The Nigerian Prance thing is just the most currently well known version of the Spanish Prisoner con, in which a mark is told that there is a wealthy person or treasure in a distant land that can be retrieved for a profit if the mark will just hand over a little money. Followed by a little more. And a little more. This continues until the flow of money from the mark stops for whatever reason.
Isn't that half the plot of The Count of Monte Cristo? At least he actually got the money. And the revenge. And the girl. And also Superman.

Old 3rd April 2021, 01:57 PM   #224
Belz...
Fiend God

I searched the thread, and did not see a reference to Rep. Gaetz' fiancée. She is 12 years his junior, and her name is Ginger Luckey. Her name just struck me as funny, but that's quite juvenile on my part.

Also - apparently Atty General Barr made a special effort not to be seen in public with Gaetz once he knew what was going on. He apparently canceled at least one public appearance when he found out that Gaetz would be there. Smart guy. Evil, but smart.

politico link
Apparently Barr is smarter than most Republicans in government.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm about 99% sure there's at least one Republican who is secretly a Kenyan born Muslim with an illegal e-mail server and underground pizza parlor child sex dungeon at this point.
At this point I'd even throw some money that 99% of Republicans fit that description, with all the projection going around.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

"As a result of the controversy surrounding his arrest, subsequent guilty plea, and pressure from his fellow Republicans, Craig announced his intention to resign from the Senate at a news conference on September 1, which was to become effective on September 30. After Craig's efforts to withdraw his guilty plea failed, on October 4, he released a statement refusing to resign from the Senate. Craig did not run for re-election in 2008, and the incident effectively ended his political career."

Ahhh! Those were the days, eh!?
Remember how the Republicans basically told Nixon to go screw himself? Yeah, that wouldn't happen anymore.

Old 3rd April 2021, 02:02 PM   #225
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'm sure Gaetz has ended many sentences with a proposition.
And his propositions might end up with him getting a sentence.

Beautiful.

Old 3rd April 2021, 02:10 PM   #226
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Isn't that also illegal, on top of being a dick move?

Old 3rd April 2021, 02:15 PM   #227
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Isn't that also illegal, on top of being a dick move?
Might depend on where it happened. My jurisdiction just made that illegal six years ago.

This is assuming he doesn't have consent.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:20 PM   #228
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Might depend on where it happened. My jurisdiction just made that illegal six years ago.

This is assuming he doesn't have consent.
I'm going out on a limb here, but I highly doubt his dates consented to Gaetz showing nude pics of them on the floor of Congress. But maybe that would just be me.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:29 PM   #229
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

That's so weird. I might be wrong, but I'm not aware of Canadian rules against taking people across provinces.
I don't know anything about Canadian law. In the US most criminal laws are State laws. If a crime crosses state lines it is in multiple state jurisdictions so it becomes Federal. Most Federal criminal laws are related to Federal land or property or officials or crimes that cross State lines. The rest is all state law.

This type of law is a bit unusual because some states also have laws against this. The idea is that if the age of consent in the state is 18 but in the neighboring state it is 16 and some creepy old guy wants to have sex with a 16 year old and happens to live near the border he can just take them across the border to do the deed. That is viewed as still violating the state law and just using the state lines as a loophole.

These laws usually refer to something vague like "for any immoral purpose" (the wording used in the Mann Act) which has resulted in many controversial uses, most recently in attempts to make it illegal to take someone out of state to get an abortion.
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:35 PM   #230
jadebox
Master Poster

It occurs to me that just the showing pictures of naked women thing at work would be enough to get most people fired.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:43 PM   #231
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm going out on a limb here, but I highly doubt his dates consented to Gaetz showing nude pics of them on the floor of Congress. But maybe that would just be me.
As others have noted, Congress is exempt from laws and rules that apply to almost any other workplace.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...kplace/614443/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 03:07 PM   #232
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
As others have noted, Congress is exempt from laws and rules that apply to almost any other workplace.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...kplace/614443/
That's for people who work there. The ex-dates/girlfriends most likely did/do not. But I was not really referring to whether it was legal or not but to whether the women gave their consent. Do you imagine Gaetz asking them, "Hey, babe, is it OK if I show your naked hot bod pics around the House floor to the guys?" and any of them answering, "Sure, Matt. I love being slobbered over like a piece of meat by a bunch of a*******!" I don't think so.
Old 3rd April 2021, 03:15 PM   #233
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yeah, this all goes back to the Mann Act, which has its history in the uniquely American obsession with preventing "White Slavery". A combination of a moral panic over prostitution and a moral panic over "white slavery", all in the context of a history of actual slavery within the living memory of a significant part of the population in the US produced a uniquely odd law.
Old 3rd April 2021, 03:28 PM   #234
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That's for people who work there. The ex-dates/girlfriends most likely did/do not. But I was not really referring to whether it was legal or not but to whether the women gave their consent. Do you imagine Gaetz asking them, "Hey, babe, is it OK if I show your naked hot bod pics around the House floor to the guys?" and any of them answering, "Sure, Matt. I love being slobbered over like a piece of meat by a bunch of a*******!" I don't think so.
I suspect many of his colleagues were disgusted, too. There are starting to be reports that other Republicans, including Atty. Gen. Barr, went out of their way to be sure that they wouldn't be photographed around Gaetz -- even wearing clothes.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2021, 05:23 AM   #235
Mumbles
Philosopher

Apparently Barr is smarter than most Republicans in government.
The GOP's "brain drain" was terminal back when Boehner looked around, realized who he was with, and immediately got the Pope to address a joint session of congress and immediately declared that the high point of his career.

And then he walked off literally singing "Zippidy Doo-Daa", and became a spokesman for weed. I don't like his policies, but I can't even tell you what Moscow Mitch's policies are, except "funnel money upwards" and "be against whatever the dems are in favor of today".

And at this point, I'll just sit and watch what happens as far as Gaetz goes, but I'll give the Jimmy Neutron/American Pie character hybrid points for sheer audacity. Those aren't *good* points, of course, but they are worth noting.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2021, 08:01 AM   #236
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I see latest tweety news seems to be that Gaetz is not going to resign after all, but being the discreet and holy man we know him to be, he declined to elaborate, saying it wasn't appropriate on good Friday.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2021, 08:06 AM   #237
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't know anything about Canadian law. In the US most criminal laws are State laws. If a crime crosses state lines it is in multiple state jurisdictions so it becomes Federal. Most Federal criminal laws are related to Federal land or property or officials or crimes that cross State lines. The rest is all state law.

This type of law is a bit unusual because some states also have laws against this. The idea is that if the age of consent in the state is 18 but in the neighboring state it is 16 and some creepy old guy wants to have sex with a 16 year old and happens to live near the border he can just take them across the border to do the deed. That is viewed as still violating the state law and just using the state lines as a loophole.

These laws usually refer to something vague like "for any immoral purpose" (the wording used in the Mann Act) which has resulted in many controversial uses, most recently in attempts to make it illegal to take someone out of state to get an abortion.
Why is it that everything in the US either circles back to slavery/segregation or abortion?

Old 4th April 2021, 08:41 AM   #238
Random
Illuminator

Why is it that everything in the US either circles back to slavery/segregation or abortion?
Because they are both deliberately manufactured wedge issues designed to sucker people into voting against their own interests. I mean, take abortion and white resentment off the table, and what is the Republican party left with? Tax cuts for rich people? Not even Republican voters support that, to say nothing of the broader electorate.

Of course, as it gets harder and harder to justify outright racism, new wedge issues much be manufactured to keep the proles in line. How about laws prohibiting transgender school athletes? Why is this even a thing?
Old 4th April 2021, 09:05 AM   #239
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Because they are both deliberately manufactured wedge issues designed to sucker people into voting against their own interests.
Yeah but that only works if people already have a strong opinion about these things. Racism and religious bigotry are the bigger problem here.

Old 4th April 2021, 09:16 AM   #240
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Wondered how long before the "What's the big deal, she's only 17" thing came about.

From the Annals of OANN:

Quote:
BadDude8
i think 17 yrs old is not really minor 16 is yes

gdrkn
It doesn't matter what you think Cletis. WTF is a 34 year old Congressman transporting a 17 or even an 18 year old girl across state lines to engage in illicit activity?

schmuggy
Tried and convicted already???
But SLOJO and Cuomo are given all lie-beral support.
Got it.

gdrkn
Actually Cuomo has no liberal support as the far left never supported him. He is and has some moderate support
Now you got it

schmuggy
No lie-beral support? Then the man should be out of office.
Got it?
.....and like Swallow-well (....and his Chinese spy girlfriend....) he’s still around too.
Got that??

etc.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics