IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Biden administration , Biden controversies , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 7th June 2021, 06:35 AM   #201
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Everyone's political system is a mess.
Not perfect doesn't mean messy. Ours works pretty damned well, even if it's imperfect.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:20 AM   #202
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
West Virginia went overwhelmingly to Trump in 2020 (69-30). Manchin is probably making the right political move, strictly in his own self-interest, to increasingly align himself with the Republicans. I wouldn't be surprised if a party switch were in the near future. Part of me wonders if this is an intentional ploy to get him thrown out of the party so he has a face-saving reason to become a Republican or at least an independent that caucuses with Republicans.
Manchin is one of the most powerful and respected politicians in WV. He was a two-term governor before he went to the Senate in 2010, and he's not up for re-election until 2024. He could afford to show some leadership on this, and actually explain to his constituents why voting rights need to be protected. They might not listen to a lot of Dems, but they'd listen to him, especially if keeps bringing home the pork. He is displaying nothing less than confusion or cowardice.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:31 AM   #203
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Quote:
Everyone's political system is a mess.
Not perfect doesn't mean messy. Ours works pretty damned well, even if it's imperfect.
I'd have to say there's probably no political system in the world that can't be corrupted somehow.

I'm in Canada, which is a constitutional monarchy based on the British parliamentary system. It works well, but it also gives a lot of power to the prime minister. In theory that would be a disaster, but so far the electorate has been smart in that we haven't picked any politician who is far outside what would be considered the political norms. (Even our 'right wing' political leaders haven't proposed going to an all-private health care system, or rolling back abortion or gay rights.)

The U.S. system has some problems. But the problem isn't a bad design. (In fact it has some good things... the greater separation of legislative and executive branches for example). The problem is the people. (Political leaders have to have some respect for the system and the processes and traditions. This no longer applies to the republican party.) Plunk Moscow Mitch and Stubby McBonespurs in a parliamentary system and the damage would probably be just as great (if not worse).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:33 AM   #204
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Evidence? Presidents have been elected with fewer votes than the loser twice in 16 years, and Trump could have been re-elected in 2020 if a few thousand votes in three states had gone the other way despite losing by seven million popular votes. A citizen of Wyoming has about 40 times the power in the Senate of a citizen of California or Texas. Gerrymandering allows the minority party to decide who even has a chance to win a House seat. The aggressive voter suppression efforts across the country will disenfranchise millions of voters. A system that actively thwarts the will of the majority of citizens is hardly working "pretty damned well."
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:51 AM   #205
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Evidence? Presidents have been elected with fewer votes than the loser twice in 16 years, and Trump could have been re-elected in 2020 if a few thousand votes in three states had gone the other way despite losing by seven million popular votes. A citizen of Wyoming has about 40 times the power in the Senate of a citizen of California or Texas. Gerrymandering allows the minority party to decide who even has a chance to win a House seat. The aggressive voter suppression efforts across the country will disenfranchise millions of voters. A system that actively thwarts the will of the majority of citizens is hardly working "pretty damned well."
I'm definitely not talking about YOUR system, since I just called it messed up.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:51 AM   #206
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/06/u...hin-op-ed.html

So that's that, huh? Biden is now a lame duck president, paralyzed by a conservative majority in the Senate. Any hope of a legislative agenda has been torpedoed by Manchin (and likely Sinema and others). Unless Biden reverses his stance on being unwilling to wield executive power, his administration is dead in the water on advancing major policy.
Manchin is one of the most powerful and respected politicians in WV. He was a two-term governor before he went to the Senate in 2010, and he's not up for re-election until 2024. He could afford to show some leadership on this, and actually explain to his constituents why voting rights need to be protected. They might not listen to a lot of Dems, but they'd listen to him, especially if keeps bringing home the pork. He is displaying nothing less than confusion or cowardice.
"Profiles in Discourage"

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 7th June 2021 at 07:54 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 08:06 AM   #207
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

West Virginia went overwhelmingly to Trump in 2020 (69-30). Manchin is probably making the right political move, strictly in his own self-interest, to increasingly align himself with the Republicans. I wouldn't be surprised if a party switch were in the near future. Part of me wonders if this is an intentional ploy to get him thrown out of the party so he has a face-saving reason to become a Republican or at least an independent that caucuses with Republicans.
Yes, its true that Manchin is... problematic... when dealing with things like the Democrat's voter reform bill and infrastructure package. Yes, he seems to be unrealistic in the idea that the Republicans might actually engage in any sort of bipartisanship.

But, I don't think he's really a "Republican in Sheep's clothing"...

According to CQ Roll Call, Manchin voted against his party’s majority 38.5% of the time last year, while Sinema did so for 33.1% of the votes....Manchin and Sinema have also supported Biden’s position in every instance so far this year, including numerous confirmation votes on Biden nominees, COVID-19 relief and the commission to investigate the Jan. 6 insurrection...
it’s not just Manchin and Sinema who oppose doing away with the filibuster. As many as 10 Democratic senators are reluctant to change the rules even for key legislation such as the voting rights bill. Biden himself has not said he wants to end the filibuster.

It should also be pointed out that Mancin voted to impeach trump. He voted against the republican health care plan in 2017. And he voted against the republican Tax giveaway to Millionaire bill.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 08:20 AM   #208
Monica 56
Scholar

Looking in from God's favourite country I must say that the momentum continues to be with Trump .
His comments this weekend to huge audiences referenced an early return to the WH which could become distinctly more likely if the AZ recount highlights huge Election fraud, and then the Military supervise an election re-run , locking up a number of traitors en passant .

In contrast , Sleepy remains essentially bunkered with puppet front figures speaking out on his behalf .
With both the witches asleep or suicided on the ends of their own broomsticks, the DNC apparently has no voice to try and win back even a slice of general confidence and support .Even resident lunatic Maxine has shut her big mouth for more than a few minutes .

Hang on for a possible crazy ride .

If ever a country needed a strong leader it is the US right now and candidates from the Left seem badly shop soiled or look to have holiday appointments on Cuban soil in the not too distant .
Monica 56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 08:22 AM   #209
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Monica 56 View Post
Looking in from God's favourite country I must say that the momentum continues to be with Trump .
His comments this weekend to huge audiences referenced an early return to the WH which could become distinctly more likely if the AZ recount highlights huge Election fraud, and then the Military supervise an election re-run , locking up a number of traitors en passant .

In contrast , Sleepy remains essentially bunkered with puppet front figures speaking out on his behalf .
With both the witches asleep or suicided on the ends of their own broomsticks, the DNC apparently has no voice to try and win back even a slice of general confidence and support .Even resident lunatic Maxine has shut her big mouth for more than a few minutes .

If ever a country needed a strong leader it is the US right now and candidates from the Left seem badly shop soiled or look to have holiday appointments on Cuban soil in the not too distant .
Trump shuttered his blog because nobody was reading it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...ump-blog-dead/
Old 7th June 2021, 08:22 AM   #210
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is he's corrupt or a moron. The GOP by its actions is clearly trying to destroy democracy and it doesn't take a genius to recognize this.
Old 7th June 2021, 08:24 AM   #211
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

I like the cut of your bib.
Old 7th June 2021, 08:38 AM   #212
Armitage72
Philosopher

Anyone with as much mass as Trump will naturally accumulate a lot of momentum. That's why he had to be so careful on the ramp.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 08:39 AM   #213
SteveAitch
Critical Thinker

Any system based on FPTP is bound to give dodgy results and be manipulable to give even dodgier ones - Boris is currently trying for the voter ID card idea with a side helping of gerrymandering.

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 08:50 AM   #214
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Do you actually believe this deranged garbage? For starters, why don't you tell us by what mechanism you think Trump could enjoy "an early return to the WH."
Old 7th June 2021, 09:00 AM   #215
Armitage72
Philosopher

Do you actually believe this deranged garbage? For starters, why don't you tell us by what mechanism you think Trump could enjoy "an early return to the WH."

He'll sign up for a public tour.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 01:13 PM   #216
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Intersting question as to wheter Monica actualy beleives her tripe or if she is just trolling us or a sort of combo as first.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 01:15 PM   #217
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This is exactly what people were saying in Germany in the early 1930's. They got their strong leader and it did not turn out well, did it?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 01:16 PM   #218
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The problem is he's corrupt or a moron. The GOP by its actions is clearly trying to destroy democracy and it doesn't take a genius to recognize this.
I say corrupt. Mnichin will do or say anything to get reelected.
Careerism is destroying Demorcracy.We need term limits on congress like yesterday.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th June 2021, 01:20 PM   #219
Belz...
Fiend God

Looking in from God's favourite country
You're in Norway? I wouldn't have guessed!

Quote:
I must say that the momentum continues to be with Trump .
For what? He has no reasonable path to the presidency until 2024.

Quote:
No, it doesn't work that way. Maybe you should educate yourself as to how the US' democratic system works before saying things like that. Thing is, like you, Trump has no clue how it works, so the fact that he says things about it is meaningless.

Quote:
Wait, I thought Biden was the puppet. Make up your mind!

Quote:
Anons have been saying this since November and nothing's happened except that Trump and his allies have been ridiculed and embarrassed repeatedly.

Old 7th June 2021, 01:23 PM   #220
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Careerism is destroying Demorcracy.We need term limits on congress like yesterday.
Serving in government should be a duty, not a career.

The more I think about it the more I think the Athenian model made sense: no elections; MPs chosen by random lot (in their case, by tribe; in the modern world, by district), kinda like jury duty.

Old 7th June 2021, 02:30 PM   #221
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The more I think about it the more I think the Athenian model made sense: no elections; MPs chosen by random lot (in their case, by tribe; in the modern world, by district), kinda like jury duty.
But, given the history of Athens, that did not work out so well either..Not thrilled with giving blind chance total control.
It easy to become disillusioned with Democracy, it is a messy system but the Churchllian saying holds trueemocracy is the worst form of government...except for all the others
Some very smart people became fed up with democracy and tried to suggest some substitutes without much success. HG Wella and Robert Heinlein come to mind.
You do need career professionals in Government, but they need to the Civil Servants, not the elected officials.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th June 2021, 05:03 PM   #222
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Don't hold your breath. Monica drops by, unloads her standard QAnon/Trump cultist nonsense, then disappears.
She never explains or gives evidence of anything.
She's a drive-by CT shooter.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 05:07 PM   #223
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Are you talking a random lot from a pool of citizens?

HAVE YOU SPOKEN TO THE AVERAGE CITIZEN LATELY? My god, man! Do you really wish that upon us?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 05:55 PM   #224
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

He's not up for re-election until 2024. He should feel free to do what's right, at least for another couple years.
Old 8th June 2021, 03:02 PM   #225
Mumbles
Philosopher

Toupee Fiasco himself is a major problem for the GOP - he's an easy reminder of complete incompetence, he's obsessed with his own delusional grievances, and even as president he did a fantastic job of dragging his preferred candidate down in special elections. The fact that he's undermining faith in voting among his own fans really helps.

The GOP, itself, is obsessed with returning to Jim Crow, and it's also obvious that Manchin at least is perfectly fine with that - classic Letter from Birmingham Jail white moderate nonsense. Obvious problems for them - first, none of these have been through the courts, and despite the atrocious Shelby decision, I'm not sure if anyone aside from Thomas and Alito would favor scrapping the VRA entirely.

Second, lawmakers aren't very good at this, yet. They're busily knocking out good chunks of their own voters because they're writing laws based strictly on 202, which was mid-pandemic. They may get better in the future, but maybe not.

Third, the folks screeching about "CRT" and "Replacement" aren't many, and are far from the monopoly on violence that they needed to quickly mplement any serious Jim Crow discrimination.

In short, I think the dems will be fine, *if* they get out the vote - and telling people "the Trump GOP is trying to stop you from voting" is actually a great movitator. You want positives as well, of course, executive actions, ending COVID, Child tax credits, and the like. I'd say something about international relations, but c'mon, Americans won't vote for that.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 04:07 PM   #226
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
>snip<

In short, I think the dems will be fine, *if* they get out the vote - and telling people "the Trump GOP is trying to stop you from voting" is actually a great movitator. You want positives as well, of course, executive actions, ending COVID, Child tax credits, and the like. I'd say something about international relations, but c'mon, Americans won't vote for that.
This is the key. The Dems must get out and vote. They have too much of a history of not coming our in large numbers whereas Republicans do. Stacey Abrams did an excellent job in Georgia of getting the Black/people of color out to vote. Of course, Georgia has now done everything they can think of short of establishing a literacy test to keep them from repeating that kind of turn out.
Old 8th June 2021, 04:17 PM   #227
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This is the key. The Dems must get out and vote. They have too much of a history of not coming our in large numbers whereas Republicans do. Stacey Abrams did an excellent job in Georgia of getting the Black/people of color out to vote. Of course, Georgia has now done everything they can think of short of establishing a literacy test to keep them from repeating that kind of turn out.
This is what I keep thinking. I think the Dems should get up off their collective butts right now, not tomorrow, today, and get people out right now on the streets and churches and whatnot, acknowledging that voting is going to become more difficult, not that it might if only this or that. They need to figure out exactly what measures must be taken to get past the obstacles, and then take those measures, fund them, advertise them, put up billboards, set things up. Assume the worst now. There's plenty of time to fight it later.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 04:19 PM   #228
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SSSHHH> Don't give them any ideas....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th June 2021, 04:21 PM   #229
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

SSSHHH> Don't give them any ideas....
A literacy test would keep Trump from voting.
Old 8th June 2021, 04:30 PM   #230
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but…

Isn’t it apparent Republican lawmakers are today working three-hour shifts plus overtime to put into place methods/procedures/criteria with which they can, wait for it, nullify election results if any are not to their liking?

Get out the vote all you like, but if that vote is merely used to light a cartoon-sized cigar, clutched in the fist of a Republican who, between puffs, is bleating on and on about “ballot integrity”…
Old 8th June 2021, 04:45 PM   #231
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I would like the Democratic Party in a partnership with the ACLU to challenge these voting restrictions in every state that has implemented them. If Manchin wants to be a ass about blocking action on the federal level, we should attack the laws on the state level.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th June 2021 at 06:33 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 05:05 PM   #232
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I would like the Democratic Party in a partnership with the ACLU challenge these voting restrictions in every state that has implemented them. If Manchin wants to be a ass about blocking action on the federal level, we should attack the laws on the state level.
The conservative SCOTUS is pretty clear that they are ok with states radically restricting access to the ballot box. The same SCOTUS gutted the Voting Rights Act in the Shelby County decision, and since then it's picked up an additional seat to make it a 6-3 bench.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 8th June 2021 at 05:07 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 05:38 PM   #233
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I would like the Democratic Party in a partnership with the ACLU challenge these voting restrictions in every state that has implemented them. If Manchin wants to be a ass about blocking action on the federal level, we should attack the laws on the state level.
As of late April, three states (Montana, Iowa, Georgia) are being sued for their voter restriction laws at the state level. You can expect every state that passes these laws to be sued.

Quote:
Old 8th June 2021, 05:45 PM   #234
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Yes, but…

Isn’t it apparent Republican lawmakers are today working three-hour shifts plus overtime to put into place methods/procedures/criteria with which they can, wait for it, nullify election results if any are not to their liking?

Get out the vote all you like, but if that vote is merely used to light a cartoon-sized cigar, clutched in the fist of a Republican who, between puffs, is bleating on and on about “ballot integrity”…
Even Trumpist judges just give this a flat no for now. Give them more time to confirm judges, and we'll see. They need a massive level of actual evidence, not just "I heard they was a'cheatin'."
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 05:54 PM   #235
Belz...
Fiend God

Are you talking a random lot from a pool of citizens?

HAVE YOU SPOKEN TO THE AVERAGE CITIZEN LATELY? My god, man! Do you really wish that upon us?
Compared to what? The dredge who run for office? You think they know better than the average moron?

It works for jury duty, and we expect them to make impartial, reasoned decisions with people's lives.

Old 8th June 2021, 06:18 PM   #236
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yes, but…

The GOP might fantasize about doing such a thing, but if they ever actually did it, I suspect that would be the trigger for that civil war everyone seems to expect to be coming any time now. Were they to arbitrarily overturn a legitimate vote, that would be the signal of the end of US democracy.
Old 8th June 2021, 06:22 PM   #237
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Compared to what? The dredge who run for office? You think they know better than the average moron?

It works for jury duty, and we expect them to make impartial, reasoned decisions with people's lives.
Lighten up, Belz....I was having a bit of fun.

But, since you asked: I don't have a lot of faith in our juries, especially in some parts of the country. After being involved in the Knox case for years and seeing how some people think about evidence, the idea of ever having a jury decide my fate scares the crap out of me. I've seen them reject actual scientific evidence in favor of 'body language', a past sex life, and buying underwear when she had one pair to her name.

But speaking of jury duty, I have to report next week.
Old 8th June 2021, 06:26 PM   #238
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but…

They certainly are trying to do this, but there is (I think) a limit to the extent that they can do it without being so far off that they cannot sustain it. That is why, I think, the Democrats should be doubling their efforts, while still fighting away, to make sure they know exactly what is needed to comply, and to make visible, conspicuous efforts not only to comply but to make that compliance public. Ask outright what is and is not going to be permitted, demand clarity and demand that those entitled to vote will have an opportunity of some sort, demand to know what is or is not going to be challenged, get it stated up front, and then win, publicly and conspicuously, by the opposition's rules.

They can fight the rules and overturn them too, but in the mean time they need to get the Republicans to explain them explicitly, and to understand how to use them.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 06:34 PM   #239
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The conservative SCOTUS is pretty clear that they are ok with states radically restricting access to the ballot box. The same SCOTUS gutted the Voting Rights Act in the Shelby County decision, and since then it's picked up an additional seat to make it a 6-3 bench.
I don't think you can assume every one of these laws is OK.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 06:36 PM   #240
Belz...
Fiend God

Lighten up, Belz....I was having a bit of fun.
Well it certainly sounded like something a rational person would say. I just happen to disagree with it.

Of course, I also believe that more focus on education is crucial, so it would certainly help in this process.

Quote:
But speaking of jury duty, I have to report next week.
Presumably you will take this important function very seriously. Does that mean you'll be incommunicado, or just prevented from talking about the case?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics