IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 7th June 2021, 08:12 AM   #1
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 14,247
The Trump Presidency: Part 28

Mod InfoThis is a continuation from here. Feel free to quote posts in the old thread. Thanks.
Posted By:xjx388


Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Shrugs* Blacks are on average more religious than white people in the US, but they ain't in bed with the GOP.
.....
"Religious" covers a lot of ground. You can have faith in a Supreme Being and live according to your faith's core principles without giving up reason and judgment. The evangelicals are a small subset of "religious."

To digress, Stephen Colbert had a fascinating interview a few weeks ago with Francis Collins, the head of the NIH. He talked about how he reconciles being one of the world's leading scientists, as he is, with being an evangelical Christian, as he also is. Religious doesn't have to mean crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpCuhIoJSXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi5Uf-Cr73U

Last edited by xjx388; 7th June 2021 at 09:11 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 08:24 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,656
Crazy you've figured out a way to switch on and off is still crazy.

If I think I'm Napoleon but still manage to hold down a job as a scientist, the idea that I'm Napoleon didn't magically become less crazy.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 09:05 AM   #3
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,630
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That's another argument for rank-choice voting. To take an extreme example, in 2016 Trump was winning early primaries with around 20% of the vote because votes were split among 16 candidates. If the 80% of Repubs who didn't want him could have listed second, third etc. choices to be tabulated until someone won a majority, Trump would have been wiped out. If primaries today favor the extremists, rank-choice voting would support the moderates.
Except he did even better in ranked choice voting as he was many people's second or third choice.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 09:24 AM   #4
zorro99
Graduate Poster
 
zorro99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,070
Latest

‘The guy is NUTS’: Viewers stunned as Trump goes off on ‘insane’ Fox Business rant about fake Facebook ballot lockboxes

Matthew ChapmanJune 07, 2021

During a Fox Business interview with Stuart Varney on Monday, former President Donald Trump pushed a new conspiracy that Facebook paid hundreds of millions for "phony lockboxes" that accounted for "96 percent Biden votes," adding that, "They were like just dumping ballots, it was a phony deal!"

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-faceb...ony-lockboxes/
__________________
There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 10:02 AM   #5
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
‘The guy is NUTS’: Viewers stunned as Trump goes off on ‘insane’ Fox Business rant about fake Facebook ballot lockboxes

Matthew ChapmanJune 07, 2021

During a Fox Business interview with Stuart Varney on Monday, former President Donald Trump pushed a new conspiracy that Facebook paid hundreds of millions for "phony lockboxes" that accounted for "96 percent Biden votes," adding that, "They were like just dumping ballots, it was a phony deal!"

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-faceb...ony-lockboxes/
Not only is Trump nuts, but the people who follow him are nuts, too. Not clinically nuts like he is, but nuts in the common vernacular sense. Nuts and/or stupid and/or just despicable, self-serving SOBs like Cruz and McConnell et al.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 10:08 AM   #6
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,277
Scotch tape on the tie.



That’s the guy who understands image.

ETA
I think the weird leaning thing might be related to the lifts he wears in his shoes.

MORE ETA
I picture him less as a used-car salesman and more like a two-bit Multi-Level Marketing guy.

I imagine that he’d love to sell stocks over the phone, but doesn’t have the patience or the brain power to get any kind of license.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.

Last edited by Ladewig; 7th June 2021 at 10:16 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 10:20 AM   #7
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Scotch tape on the tie.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...e529ac2b4f.jpg

That’s the guy who understands image.

ETA
I think the weird leaning thing might be related to the lifts he wears in his shoes.

MORE ETA
I picture him less as a used-car salesman and more like a two-bit Multi-Level Marketing guy.

I imagine that he’d love to sell stocks over the phone, but doesn’t have the patience or the brain power to get any kind of license.
I seriously doubt that's tape on the tie. For one thing, scotch tape does NOT work well at all for holding cloth together. For another, a man would wear a tie clip, not use scotch tape.

ETA: It turns out that Trump does tape the two ends of his tie together, but not to hold it down like a tie clip would (and should, in his case). But since you can see the tape, it obviously doesn't work well because, as I said, regular Scotch tape does not work well on cloth.

Quote:
It was really that Trump, the future leader of the free world, tapes the tail of his tie to the back so that it doesn't move. GQ first spotted the tape in a photo of Trump getting off a plane in Indiana on Thursday.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...is-tie-2016-12

Quote:
Hard as it may be to believe, Donald Trump's transition from President-elect to actual President of the United States (shudder) did not bring with it a transition from sartorially challenged to stylistically capable. Case in point: The guy is still (still!) taping his damn tie together. Just take a look at this image from his inauguration today:
https://www.esquire.com/style/news/a...tapes-his-tie/

I can admit when I'm wrong. It's something others should learn to do instead of digging in.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 7th June 2021 at 10:47 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 10:24 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,656
//Shot in the dark//

Sticky point for a mic?
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 10:34 AM   #9
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
This video that Tero posted as evidence that Trump wears diapers is from the same guy (Noel Casler) who makes all the other claims about Trump on The Apprentice: he was taking Adderall, he used the N-word all the time, Trump made 16 year old Ivanka give him a lap dance, etc. I don't find him credible considering no one else, not even anonymously, backs up his stories and there were lots of people on the set of the show.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 10:36 AM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,656
Okay so what's the point? Dude in his 70s. If he is wearing adult diapers... and?

I get it, we want to tear down Trump's macho imagine but at a certain point this turns into pointless mockery.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 10:48 AM   #11
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
//Shot in the dark//

Sticky point for a mic?
See my ETA to post #8.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 10:51 AM   #12
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay so what's the point? Dude in his 70s. If he is wearing adult diapers... and?

I get it, we want to tear down Trump's macho imagine but at a certain point this turns into pointless mockery.
I don't mind the mockery as he deserves it. But let's mock him for what deserves mocking and not for things that aren't true like the pull up pants bit. God know there's enough real things he deserves mocking for.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:05 AM   #13
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
The irony of the actual sound track that was used at the North Carolina GOP Convention last week while waiting for Trump to speak was off the charts. "Brain Damage"? Brianna Keilar and John Berman have some fun with it:


https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ay-sot-vpx.cnn
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:06 AM   #14
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 14,247
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Crazy you've figured out a way to switch on and off is still crazy.

If I think I'm Napoleon but still manage to hold down a job as a scientist, the idea that I'm Napoleon didn't magically become less crazy.
But as a matter of fact you are not Napoleon, and we can prove it. Religious faith, on the other hand, is a matter of feeling and hope. No one can prove that there is not a Supreme Being, in whatever faith tradition you choose, and as that eminent scientist argued, faith is not incompatible with science and facts.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:14 AM   #15
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 14,247
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Except he did even better in ranked choice voting as he was many people's second or third choice.
I don't know if that's true. If your first choice in 2016 was Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio or even Ted Cruz, I doubt Trump would have been your No. 2.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:16 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,656
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't mind the mockery as he deserves it. But let's mock him for what deserves mocking and not for things that aren't true like the pull up pants bit. God know there's enough real things he deserves mocking for.
The problem is you can't mock someone for something because they deserve it without mocking people who don't deserve it if they have the same feature.

Trump is not a bad president because of his weight, his combover, or any old man medical issues he has. He's a bad President because he's a total trolling sociopath.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:20 AM   #17
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 14,247
There are multiple reports that Trump wears Brioni suits, an expensive, high-end brand.
https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...ioni-10704594/
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...p-2016-11?op=1

It's hard to understand why Brioni lets him out the door looking like he does.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:24 AM   #18
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The problem is you can't mock someone for something because they deserve it without mocking people who don't deserve it if they have the same feature.
Yes, you can. "If they deserve it" is the key phrase. Biden has a bald spot. He isn't mocked for it because he doesn't try and hide it with a bad triple combover.

Quote:
Trump is not a bad president because of his weight, his combover, or any old man medical issues he has. He's a bad President because he's a total trolling sociopath.
No one said what he's mocked for is why he's a bad president.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:26 AM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,656
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes, you can. "If they deserve it" is the key phrase. Biden has a bald spot. He isn't mocked for it because he doesn't try and hide it with a bad triple combover.



No one said what he's mocked for is why he's a bad president.
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:35 AM   #20
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,630
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I don't know if that's true. If your first choice in 2016 was Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio or even Ted Cruz, I doubt Trump would have been your No. 2.
Yet he was for many people. I am not claiming anything about it makes rational sense but he really was the candidate that best represented the republican party in 2016.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:36 AM   #21
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,630
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
There are multiple reports that Trump wears Brioni suits, an expensive, high-end brand.
https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...ioni-10704594/
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...p-2016-11?op=1

It's hard to understand why Brioni lets him out the door looking like he does.
Because he refuses to have them adjusted to actually fit properly. He has some fixation on wearing them off the rack.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:37 AM   #22
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
There are multiple reports that Trump wears Brioni suits, an expensive, high-end brand.
https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...ioni-10704594/
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...p-2016-11?op=1

It's hard to understand why Brioni lets him out the door looking like he does.
Agreed...but "the customer is always right" especially when he's paying big bucks. According to Ezra Lizio-Katzen, owner of the Washington menswear boutique Ezra Paul, Trump's suits look so bad “Because he’s wearing a suit size probably two sizes at least too big for him in order to not make it look like he’s got a big stomach and instead make it look like he’s just a big guy."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:39 AM   #23
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Because he refuses to have them adjusted to actually fit properly. He has some fixation on wearing them off the rack.
According to the link, his suits are bespoke, not off the rack. But they certainly look like they're off the rack.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:40 AM   #24
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,630
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.
Yes and no, the spray tan, ill fitting suits and so forth are judgement things and I think are not the same as criticizing say his balance issues on walking on the boobytrapped ramp at westpoint.

""So I walked gingerly down — that was on every newscast in the world and I never went down," Trump said, despite there should have been no danger of him falling while walking down the ramp. "I never went down, either, I never went on my ass, I'll tell you, I wasn't going to fall."

"I think that was a boobytrap," Trump said."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-ramp/
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:43 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,630
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
According to the link, his suits are bespoke, not off the rack. But they certainly look like they're off the rack.
"Mr. Trump’s public association with Brioni goes back to 2004, when he wrote in “Trump: Think Like a Billionaire” that the brand supplied him with suits for “The Apprentice.” “I wear Brioni suits, which I buy off the rack,” he wrote. Brioni has a 220-square-foot store in the newly opened Trump International Hotel in Washington."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/f...eld-suits.html
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:44 AM   #26
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.
Who is doing that? That would be Trump.

ETA: In addition, what female Republicans deserve mocking for being fat and ugly because of something they've done or said related to being "fat and ugly"? For example, has a fat and ugly female Republican criticized or made fun of someone else for being fat and ugly? If so, then she would deserve to be mocked for having done so.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 7th June 2021 at 11:47 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:54 AM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
"Mr. Trump’s public association with Brioni goes back to 2004, when he wrote in “Trump: Think Like a Billionaire” that the brand supplied him with suits for “The Apprentice.” “I wear Brioni suits, which I buy off the rack,” he wrote. Brioni has a 220-square-foot store in the newly opened Trump International Hotel in Washington."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/f...eld-suits.html
From the link above:

Quote:
Trump has been a paying customer for many years, according to the Italian men’s wear brand, controlled by Kering. Responding to queries about the designs, Brioni said Trump’s suits are bespoke “and the silhouette and fabrics follow his personal requirements.”
Someone is wrong, either Brioni or Trump. I'm in a quandry as to whom, though: Trump is a pathological liar but his suits look like they're off the rack because of the poor fit.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 11:59 AM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,626
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The irony of the actual sound track that was used at the North Carolina GOP Convention last week while waiting for Trump to speak was off the charts. "Brain Damage"? Brianna Keilar and John Berman have some fun with it:


https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ay-sot-vpx.cnn
When they play the Titanic's "My heart will go on" Brianna Keller can't hold the snickering back.




I think all the stuff about Dump's tie or his pants is a distraction. He's a sloppy dresser is nuff said.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th June 2021 at 12:01 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 12:01 PM   #29
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 9,742
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I picture him less as a used-car salesman and more like a two-bit Multi-Level Marketing guy.

I imagine that he’d love to sell stocks over the phone, but doesn’t have the patience or the brain power to get any kind of license.
By his behavior, those fit, but, by the reaction to him from the loonies, he's more like Jesus to me. Not only were they both supposed to save their people from the evil oppressors, but also, once they failed, their followers started coming up with excuses and explanations about how his failure was really a success in some secret, possibly even supernatural, way.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 12:02 PM   #30
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 29,673
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.
Despite a lingering urge to disparage whatever about T**** appears, I basically agree. If he had been an incontinent fat man with a bad suit who served the people and did the right thing, we'd be disparaging cheap abuse, just as some, at least, do when idiots and right wing shills rag on Biden for his stutter.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 12:05 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,626
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.
Except in Dump's case he does deserve to hear that's he's fat and ugly given he frequently calls women that.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 12:30 PM   #32
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Except in Dump's case he does deserve to hear that's he's fat and ugly given he frequently calls women that.
Exactly my point. When someone mocks someone else for something and they have the same attributes or do the same thing, then they deserve to be mocked for it in return.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 12:43 PM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.
I disagree. Fat people who are asshats deserve to be called fat asshats. Nice people who are overweight don't get to have their weight used as an insult.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 01:20 PM   #34
gnome
Penultimate Amazing
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,312
I don't see how that works well--it just back-doors undesirable pejoratives.

"We're not going to make fun of fat people for being fat, only the ones we don't like."

Having an unsympathetic target doesn't make fat-shaming any more appropriate--it just enables an "acceptable" way for the habit to continue.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it reminds me of people that think they're being enlightened by refusing to use the n-word except on people that "deserve" it by exhibiting negative personality traits.
__________________


Last edited by gnome; 7th June 2021 at 01:23 PM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 01:46 PM   #35
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 10,863
Unfortunately, clothes do not make the man.

The Nazis had uniforms designed by Hugo Boss to look stylish. But they were still ******* Nazis.

So whether it's a lardass T**** in an ill-fitting suit, or a tailored long, thin streak of pelican **** like his advisor Miller, they are both obnoxious turds.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 01:59 PM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I don't see how that works well--it just back-doors undesirable pejoratives.

"We're not going to make fun of fat people for being fat, only the ones we don't like."

Having an unsympathetic target doesn't make fat-shaming any more appropriate--it just enables an "acceptable" way for the habit to continue.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it reminds me of people that think they're being enlightened by refusing to use the n-word except on people that "deserve" it by exhibiting negative personality traits.

False equivalent because that's not what I said "deserving" was at all:

"When someone mocks someone else for something and they have the same attributes or do the same thing, then they deserve to be mocked for it in return."

"In addition, what female Republicans deserve mocking for being fat and ugly because of something they've done or said related to being "fat and ugly"? For example, has a fat and ugly female Republican criticized or made fun of someone else for being fat and ugly? If so, then she would deserve to be mocked for having done so."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 02:02 PM   #37
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,408
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Unfortunately, clothes do not make the man.

The Nazis had uniforms designed by Hugo Boss to look stylish. But they were still ******* Nazis.

So whether it's a lardass T**** in an ill-fitting suit, or a tailored long, thin streak of pelican **** like his advisor Miller, they are both obnoxious turds.



True. About the only good things that can be said about the Nazis are that they built the Autobahn, the Volkswagen, and had great looking uniforms.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 06:40 PM   #38
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,397
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
True. About the only good things that can be said about the Nazis are that they built the Autobahn, the Volkswagen, and had great looking uniforms.
Also, the Fuhrer was a terrific dancer (not many people know it).
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 06:50 PM   #39
jond
Illuminator
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,386
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Also, the Fuhrer was a terrific dancer (not many people know it).
The goddess Kate certainly did.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 06:57 PM   #40
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,656
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
False equivalent because that's not what I said "deserving" was at all:

"When someone mocks someone else for something and they have the same attributes or do the same thing, then they deserve to be mocked for it in return."

"In addition, what female Republicans deserve mocking for being fat and ugly because of something they've done or said related to being "fat and ugly"? For example, has a fat and ugly female Republican criticized or made fun of someone else for being fat and ugly? If so, then she would deserve to be mocked for having done so."
JESUS ******* CHRIST THIS ISN'T THAT HARD.

You don't get to use qualities that aren't bad in attacking someone just because the person is bad.

"It's okay to make fun of Trump for being fat/ugly/a bad dresser because he's a bad person so he deserves everything he gets" is still insulting to fat/ugly/bad dresser people who aren't Trump and who are perfectly good people.

And no "Trump has used those insults too! That surely makes it okay!" is not either.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.