IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 7th June 2021, 07:00 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
JESUS ******* CHRIST THIS ISN'T THAT HARD.

You don't get to use qualities that aren't bad in attacking someone just because the person is bad.

"It's okay to make fun of Trump for being fat/ugly/a bad dresser because he's a bad person so he deserves everything he gets" is still insulting to fat/ugly/bad dresser people who aren't Trump and who are perfectly good people.

And no "Trump has used those insults too! That surely makes it okay!" is not either.
Chill out, guy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:03 PM   #42
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Also, the Fuhrer was a terrific dancer (not many people know it).
And he loved dogs and had a snazzy moustache.

When I was living in Germany, I went to a bar with my boyfriend. There was a man sitting at the bar that was a dead ringer for Hitler down to the moustache. I mean it was EERIE! He saw me looking at him and came over. It turned out he was an actor who made his living portraying Hitler in films. He gave me an autographed picture which I since managed to lose.

I have to say that living in Berchtesgaden could be a bit weird with all the Nazi/Hitler connections. Even the small train station had a special addition that was made especially for when Hitler arrived. The same painted murals were on the station as were there during the war. I remember walking one evening up to the hill to the Strub (former German barracks that had been taken over by the US military) and hearing the tramping of footsteps. Turned out to be some German soldiers there for some reason. It was a very strange feeling seeing them marching down the road.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:03 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And he was a great painter!

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:05 PM   #44
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I think the weird leaning thing might be related to the lifts he wears in his shoes.
My suspicion is that he thinks it makes him look slimmer. He probably practiced in a mirror, and thus had no idea how ridiculous it looks from the side. I think it's just another case of his vanity causing him to look ridiculous
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:06 PM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And he loved dogs and had a snazzy moustache.

When I was living in Germany, I went to a bar with my boyfriend. There was a man sitting at the bar that was a dead ringer for Hitler down to the moustache. I mean it was EERIE! He saw me looking at him and came over. It turned out he was an actor who made his living portraying Hitler in films. He gave me an autographed picture which I since managed to lose.

I have to say that living in Berchtesgaden could be a bit weird with all the Nazi/Hitler connections. Even the small train station had a special addition that was made especially for when Hitler arrived. The same painted murals were on the station as were there during the war. I remember walking one evening up to the hill to the Strub (former German barracks that had been taken over by the US military) and hearing the tramping of footsteps. Turned out to be some German soldiers there for some reason. It was a very strange feeling seeing them marching down the road.
Great little Irony In the famous final scene of "The Sound Of Music" where the Trapps are fleeing the Nazis , supposedly to Switzerland, in reality, they are really headed straight for Berschstgaden;one of the grown Von Trapp kids points that out in the making of documentary for "Music".
In real life Salzberg is a good 100 miles from Switzerland;and when the Von Trapps decided to leave they simply bought train tickets to Italy.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th June 2021, 07:07 PM   #46
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You don't get to use qualities that aren't bad in attacking someone just because the person is bad.

"It's okay to make fun of Trump for being fat/ugly/a bad dresser because he's a bad person so he deserves everything he gets" is still insulting to fat/ugly/bad dresser people who aren't Trump and who are perfectly good people.

And no "Trump has used those insults too! That surely makes it okay!" is not either.
When someone mocks someone for something and they have those same attributes, then they are fair game to be mocked for them. If you don't like that I disagree with you, you'll just have to learn to live with it.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:20 PM   #47
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Hitler - now there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in one afternoon. Two coats!
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 07:22 PM   #48
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Great little Irony In the famous final scene of "The Sound Of Music" where the Trapps are fleeing the Nazis , supposedly to Switzerland, in reality, they are really headed straight for Berschstgaden;one of the grown Von Trapp kids points that out in the making of documentary for "Music".
In real life Salzberg is a good 100 miles from Switzerland;and when the Von Trapps decided to leave they simply bought train tickets to Italy.
Back in 1976 I was on a S of M tour in Salzburg. The girl who had played one of the daughters in the movie was on the same tour. She said it was her first time back since making the movie. I think it was Debbie Turner.

Salzburg is only about a 30 minute drive from Berchtesgaden.
Old 7th June 2021, 07:23 PM   #49
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

They always lose him right after the bunker scene.
Old 7th June 2021, 07:32 PM   #50
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

If only there was a logical fallacy for that.
Old 7th June 2021, 08:19 PM   #51
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

When someone mocks someone for something and they have those same attributes, then they are fair game to be mocked for them.
The point would appear to be nothing about whether the specific target of such insults is "fair game" or not, but that such insults, regardless of who the target is, contribute to an environment in which those are things to insult people about.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 08:24 PM   #52
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Back in 1976 I was on a S of M tour in Salzburg. The girl who had played one of the daughters in the movie was on the same tour. She said it was her first time back since making the movie. I think it was Debbie Turner.

Salzburg is only about a 30 minute drive from Berchtesgaden.

I didn't read that right the first time.

My apologies.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 08:27 PM   #53
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The point would appear to be nothing about whether the specific target of such insults is "fair game" or not, but that such insults, regardless of who the target is, contribute to an environment in which those are things to insult people about.

And another point might be that Trump offers plenty of valid reasons for useful criticism. There is no need to ridicule physical characteristics. His behavior is more than enough.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 09:05 PM   #54
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

While I’ll agree that President Chucklehead deserves these insults (and his getting upset about them makes them all the more tempting), just because someone deserves specific insults doesn’t mean insulting that person for those physical qualities is the right thing to do.
Old 7th June 2021, 09:10 PM   #55
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Ninja'd.

Last edited by Pixel42; 7th June 2021 at 09:11 PM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 10:39 PM   #56
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

While I’ll agree that President Chucklehead deserves these insults (and his getting upset about them makes them all the more tempting), just because someone deserves specific insults doesn’t mean insulting that person for those physical qualities is the right thing to do.
Whether it's the 'right thing to do' doesn't really matter to me at this point with Trump.
Old 7th June 2021, 10:49 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I didn't say "fair game"; I said "deserving". Two different things.
Old 7th June 2021, 10:51 PM   #58
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's not exactly what I said.
Old 8th June 2021, 05:58 AM   #59
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Whether it's the 'right thing to do' doesn't really matter to me at this point with Trump.
Which could be fine if it only affected Trump, but that is not the case.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 06:00 AM   #60
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

False equivalent because that's not what I said "deserving" was at all:
Coming back to this--the difference is between an analogy and an equivalence.

An analogy highlights a particular point in description or reasoning. It does not require that they share a general similarity.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 06:25 AM   #61
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

When someone mocks someone for something and they have those same attributes, then they are fair game to be mocked for them. If you don't like that I disagree with you, you'll just have to learn to live with it.
Seems to me you lose the moral high ground because you are engaging in the type of behaviour you are criticising him for.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 06:40 AM   #62
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Seems to me you lose the moral high ground because you are engaging in the type of behaviour you are criticising him for.
She's just being karma's instrument.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 06:55 AM   #63
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

”How am I losing in the polls to a mental retard?” wonders the mental retard.
Old 8th June 2021, 07:01 AM   #64
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Trump calls on US to stop using computers: The solution to cyberattacks is to 'go back' to 'paper'

His idol Putin would love that, incidentally.
Old 8th June 2021, 07:19 AM   #65
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Paper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A60819F7-A0E9-41E3-BEE3-0F6CF51114BB.jpg (123.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 8th June 2021, 07:39 AM   #66
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Quote:
Bender writes that Trump interrupted a White House meeting to ask: “How am I losing in the polls to a mental retard?”

I've said it before, and here we see it again: the biggest problem with the GOP is that they've started to believe their own ********. It doesn't surprise me that their low-information voters believe this nonsense, that being the whole point of propaganda after all, but when the people in charge of the propaganda start believing it, you've got a real problem.

Anyone with half a brain can tell that Biden isn't a "mental retard". Unsurprisingly, Trump apparently couldn't tell that.
Old 8th June 2021, 07:52 AM   #67
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Quote:
Back in 1976 I was on a S of M tour in Salzburg...
I didn't read that right the first time.

My apologies.
I made the same mistake...

Glad I figured it out before I booked my vacation to europe.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 07:56 AM   #68
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I made the same mistake...

Glad I figured it out before I booked my vacation to europe.
Remember the safe word is FLÜGGÅӘNKб€ČHIŒßØLĮÊN

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 07:57 AM   #69
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

This is the same guy who said that the electromagnetic catapults on carriers should be ripped out and replaced with older steam catapults, after all.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 08:11 AM   #70
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I've said it before, and here we see it again: the biggest problem with the GOP is that they've started to believe their own ********. It doesn't surprise me that their low-information voters believe this nonsense, that being the whole point of propaganda after all, but when the people in charge of the propaganda start believing it, you've got a real problem.

Anyone with half a brain can tell that Biden isn't a "mental retard". Unsurprisingly, Trump apparently couldn't tell that.
The trouble is that nearly 50% of the US electorate also believe this garbage because that's all they hear
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 08:23 AM   #71
Belz...
Fiend God

Why would he love that? We use paper up here and it's perfectly safe and efficient.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 08:58 AM   #72
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Why would he love that? We use paper up here and it's perfectly safe and efficient.
Like doing all calculations by hand none of this new fangled calculators and crap like that.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 09:04 AM   #73
slyjoe
Master Poster

He does realize that would deprive him of his main communication methods, right? Or does he propose keeping the internet but just getting rid of computers?

"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 09:15 AM   #74
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

That supposes it's intended as an actual solution instead of a flag to wave to show how "clever" he is and full of old timey wisdom.

Old 8th June 2021, 09:17 AM   #75
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
That supposes it's intended as an actual solution instead of a flag to wave to show how "clever" he is and full of old timey wisdom.
A throwaway line to reactionary boomers that still whine how kids these days don't learn cursive in school. More toxic nostalgia for the dimwitted right.
Old 8th June 2021, 09:18 AM   #76
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
A throwaway line to reactionary boomers that still whine how kids these days don't learn cursive in school. More toxic nostalgia for the dimwitted right.
But how will they use their fountain pens properly with out it?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 09:26 AM   #77
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm not sure going back to paper would be a good thing for them.

Old 8th June 2021, 09:31 AM   #78
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You ever notice something about Right? They seem to think "Leaders" should never be "Experts."

If the Left is going to build a bridge for all their faults they will at least usually a structural engineer with a history building bridges to run the project.

The Right seems almost offended by this idea. If the Right is going to build a bridge sure they'll (usually) hire a structural engineer but the the "Leader" of the project will be some random idiot who thinks its their job to second guess the "Expert" and apply his "home spun common sense" to it.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 09:40 AM   #79
Belz...
Fiend God

You ever notice something about Right? They seem to think "Leaders" should never be "Experts."

If the Left is going to build a bridge for all their faults they will at least usually a structural engineer with a history building bridges to run the project.

The Right seems almost offended by this idea. If the Right is going to build a bridge sure they'll (usually) hire a structural engineer but the the "Leader" of the project will be some random idiot who thinks its their job to second guess the "Expert" and apply his "home spun common sense" to it.
I don't know if this is typical of the right everywhere, but it sure does seem true in the US.

Old 8th June 2021, 10:02 AM   #80
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I think that started with the religious right. Because they weren't allowed to teach their mythology as science, they've been trying to devalue science (and thus expertise of any kind) ever since.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics