IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , Congressional hearings

Old 14th October 2021, 12:41 AM   #721
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Were there any other options besides deadly force? Seems obvious that there were.

As I say, I am not siding with the "report"...but I am opening my eyes to the simple fact that there were other alternatives to deadly force, certainly.

Deadly force should be the last choice for an officer, not the first. Or do you disagree?
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
would you say the same thing about a Home Invasion ?
False equivalency award winner, imo. We expect, especially after the summer of 2020, for law enforcement to use deadly force as a last resort. They are supposed to be trained to act accordingly. And generally, if they very clearly and publicly don't, we take them to task...except, oddly, in the case of Ashli Babbit.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th October 2021 at 12:58 AM.
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 01:01 AM   #722
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Nuff said on the credibility of this 'report'. The fact is that Ashli Babbitt was engaging in illegal activity having broken through the window with a mob behind that was just steps away from the House Chamber doors. They were were calling to hang Mike Pence and specifically looking for Nancy Pelosi.
Who exactly is "they"? You are conflating different people. When did Babbitt call for Pence's hanging? When did she say she was looking for Pelosi?

Quote:
Lt. Byrd warned them to stop and they didn't.
Again with this amorphous "they". Unless Babbitt had a thing for nongendered pronouns, there is no "they".

A specific warning to her is what's required here, just as threats made by other people at other places and times (which Byrd may not even have been aware of) aren't relevant. Byrd claims he warned Babbitt. Body camera evidence would clear that up, if it exists. If it doesn't, that's a problem. If it does and it doesn't get released, that's a problem. I'm sure you can recognize from other contexts that simply taking an officer at their word isn't a satisfactory way to resolve the question of whether a fatal shooting is justified.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 01:10 AM   #723
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It was a violent damn mob who were attacking outnumbered police. What do you expect him to have done as they were climbing in? Ask them nicely to stop? He warned them and they just kept trying to get through the door. She has no one to blame but herself.

Video:

https://nypost.com/2021/01/06/video-...ot-in-capitol/
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 01:11 AM   #724
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Were there any other options besides deadly force? Seems obvious that there were.
They were a couple of officers facing a large, angry mob, intent on harming the people it was their job to protect. Members of that mob, armed with weapons (including, quite possibly, guns) were starting to breach the one remaining barrier preventing them from doing so, despite being warned that deadly force would be used if they did.

I honestly can't see what else they could have done which would not have given at least some members of that mob the chance to get past them. They could only have physically tackled the first couple to get through. Even firing a warning shot first might have sent the wrong message - that despite what they'd said they were unwilling to actually use deadly force - and resulted in the mob being encouraged to continue to surge through rather than being shocked into stopping, again risking at least some getting past them.

I'm the last person to condone the use of fire arms in any circumstances, but even I can't see another option in this case that would not have risked the safety of their charges. If you can, by all means take me through it.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:20 AM   #725
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

False equivalency award winner, imo. We expect, especially after the summer of 2020, for law enforcement to use deadly force as a last resort. They are supposed to be trained to act accordingly. And generally, if they very clearly and publicly don't, we take them to task...except, oddly, in the case of Ashli Babbit.
No, it's not a false equivalency - it's very much the point.
The Capitol Police were protecting the people in their workplace - and Babbit was trying to break through barricades to get to them.
She got shot because she and her actions presented a clear and present danger, as far as the cop on the other side of the barred door could tell. The video is unambiguous.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:57 AM   #726
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Who exactly is "they"? You are conflating different people. When did Babbitt call for Pence's hanging? When did she say she was looking for Pelosi?
Oh, I'm so sorry. She was just part of a mob that was running riot through the Capitol screaming for Nancy Pelosi's head and to hang Mike Pence. She was just part of the mob that had violently shattered the glass of the door and were attempting to break through the door just feet from the House Chambers. Byrd could hear what was going on through his police radio.

Quote:
Again with this amorphous "they". Unless Babbitt had a thing for nongendered pronouns, there is no "they".
They= Bobbitt and everyone else with her. I didn't think that really needed defining.

Quote:
A specific warning to her is what's required here, just as threats made by other people at other places and times (which Byrd may not even have been aware of) aren't relevant.
Nonesese. What was he supposed to say? "Excuse me, but what's your name?" or "Lady crawling through the window after breaking it" before warning her?

Quote:
Byrd claims he warned Babbitt. Body camera evidence would clear that up, if it exists. If it doesn't, that's a problem. If it does and it doesn't get released, that's a problem. I'm sure you can recognize from other contexts that simply taking an officer at their word isn't a satisfactory way to resolve the question of whether a fatal shooting is justified.

The didn't just take his word. They watched the video and talked to witnesses

From NBC News:

Quote:
Byrd’s connection to what was going on outside and inside the building was his police radio. For several minutes, it crackled with a cascade of alarming messages.

There were shouts of officers down. Screams from his colleagues under attack by rioters with chemical agents. A report that an officer’s fingertips were blown off.

“It was literally broadcast over the air,” Byrd said. “I said, ‘OK, this is getting serious.’”
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lence-n1277736

In this video you can hear shouts of "get down" etc. It is also clear the rioters knew Byrd was pointing a gun at them because it's in view and they still continued to break the glass and to break down the doors.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/capito...eo-99180613572

Quote:
At one point, Byrd said, an even more alarming message came over the radio: a report of shots fired, which he learned much later was false.

Byrd said that after he heard the radio chatter warning that rioters had breached the building, he rushed inside the chamber and instructed the House members to hide under their chairs and to stay away from doors and windows.He said he told them that pipe bombs had been found in the vicinity of the building and that rioters were using weapons against officers. You need to gather your gas masks, Byrd said he told them.

And he gave one more crucial instruction: He told the House members to take measures to disguise who they were in case they came face to face with the rioters.“One of the things that was imperative was to inform the members to remove their pins to allow them to blend in,” Byrd said. “To remove their jackets, to look like staff as much as possible.”

As Byrd rushed out of the chamber, he saw the House chaplain take the position he had left on the podium. The chaplain began to recite a prayer with the members of Congress.“I believe it was at that point in time” that “the members, as well, started to believe serious harm or injury could come to them,” Byrd said.

Byrd said he and the other officers quickly erected the makeshift barricade using every piece of furniture they could find. “At that point is when I realized they’re here,” Byrd said, referring to the rioters. “The chants got louder. I couldn’t make out what they were saying, but it sounded like hundreds of people outside of that door.”

Video shot by a person in the crowd showed two officers posted in front of the door. Heavily outnumbered, they eventually stepped aside.Byrd said he had no knowledge that any officers were there. Because of the furniture stacked on his side of the door, he also couldn’t make out how many people were on the other side or whether they were carrying weapons.

“It was impossible for me to see what was on the other side,” he said.But he did see the person now known to be Babbitt start coming through the broken glass.“I could not fully see her hands or what was in the backpack or what the intentions are,” Byrd said. “But they had shown violence leading up to that point.”
https://headtopics.com/us/officer-wh...lives-21526636
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 02:07 AM   #727
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.

She was part of a screaming, violent mob that was baying for blood and calling for the death of the Vice President and the Speaker of the House. She knew exactly what she was doing when she threw her lot in with those terrorists and she paid the price for that. Play lethal games, win lethal prizes. Her death was stupid, and unnecessary, but it was entirely her own fault... whomever was first through that window was going to be shot.

Note: I have not read the report, nor do I intend to. This is from Judicial Watch - a totally biased, ultra conservative group that pander to Trump and the far right of US politics. Its not worth my time to even bother with it.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 02:13 AM   #728
Mr Fied
Muse

No, it's not a false equivalency - it's very much the point.
The Capitol Police were protecting the people in their workplace - and Babbit was trying to break through barricades to get to them.
She got shot because she and her actions presented a clear and present danger, as far as the cop on the other side of the barred door could tell. The video is unambiguous.
This ^^^

The same people defending Babbit and the mob she was with are the ones defending vigilantes going out and shooting people during a riot.

Apparently it's ok for a member of the public to take matters into their own hands and kill someone they think is breaking the law, but not for a police officer to do the same when someone has broken the law and received warnings not to continue, and lives are at risk.

Last edited by Mr Fied; 14th October 2021 at 02:14 AM.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 02:29 AM   #729
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The stupid **** got past multiple layers of security to get to the Speaker's Lobby. The officer gave directions which traitor girl failed to follow. Behind the officer were the first three people in the line of succession to the presidency and Trump was both bat **** crazy and engaged in sedition. The officer had to fire. If you notice, the enemy ceased their assault on the Speaker's Lobby after the officer fired long enough for the Members to get to safety. The life of a traitor is nothing as compared to ensuring the continuity of government.

Finally, the attrition of an enemy force is not a negative outcome. I wish the officers in the corridor where the guy was getting crushed had fired live rounds into that crowd. The rounds would have inflicted serious losses and the following stampede even more.

Last edited by Craig4; 14th October 2021 at 02:32 AM.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 02:56 AM   #730
Reformed Offlian
Muse

As I say, I am not siding with the "report"...but I am opening my eyes to the simple fact that there were other alternatives to deadly force, certainly.

Deadly force should be the last choice for an officer, not the first. Or do you disagree?
What else should the officers have done, specifically? And what, in your opinion, would have been the most likely result?

And you cannot reasonably evade with "I don't know" here. You are claiming that there were viable alternatives to deadly force. That assessment requires a justification, based on likely outcomes.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 04:38 AM   #731
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

In this case the police officer had a very reasonable belief that there wa an imminent threat to his life and that of others.

I am surprised, given your statements in other threads, that you think there should be any concern.

If only people cared about the actions of perps, we might understand how we arrived at this point. Quite frankly, when I see people referring to the Police as "PIGS", I know there is no reason to read further.

In the US, Police make around 10 million arrests per year. The are 40 million+ African Americans. In 2020, 18 unarmed African Americans were shot and killed by police. That death toll is according to the Washington Post.

I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that constitutes an epidemic, or if use of that word might be an exaggeration.
Or are you only in favour of police use of force where it isn't justified?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 14th October 2021 at 04:40 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 07:21 AM   #732
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Nonesese. What was he supposed to say? "Excuse me, but what's your name?" or "Lady crawling through the window after breaking it" before warning her?
You seem confused. A warning to someone specific doesn't require their name be used, nor does it need to be polite. But you can't warn person A, and then act against person B as if they had been warned.

Byrd claims he gave such a warning. I didn't claim he didn't.

Of course, giving a warning is relevant to the use of deadly force, but it isn't sufficient on its own to justify its use.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 07:24 AM   #733
crescent
Illuminator

Good god! Did you not see the fighting on the steps? There was a hell of a lot of non-lethal force used prior to that, but it didn't stop the invaders.

She got as far as she did because she and others overcame the non-lethal force used against them.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 07:31 AM   #734
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Indeed.
The officer was literally the line of defense after all the others were breached.
Old 14th October 2021, 07:33 AM   #735
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed.
The officer was literally the line of defense after all the others were breached.
To be fair, they were only breached because the police force was laughably underprepared for a clearly telegraphed right wing threat. Seems that everybody in the country except the Capitol police was anticipating a big showdown that day based on the escalating threats and expectations from the "stop the steal" propaganda from Trump and the rest of the right wing.

We see how cops respond to protests of a liberal/left wing persuasion. If the police had treated the CHUD rally the way they typically treat a BLM rally, nobody would have got into the building.

The fact that the cops were so quickly and completely overwhelmed was a direct result of the police's complacency and/or sympathetic attitudes towards right wing political violence.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 14th October 2021 at 07:34 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 08:22 AM   #736
sackett
Philosopher

I'm with Warp, gunplay is bad medicine. Those cops should be issued tomahawks; no need for special training, the weapon practically wields itself. And traumatic amputation is not immediaty fatal! No sir! Every REAL Patriot knows how to tie a tourniquet and then cauterize with, oh I dunno, grape seed extract?

Nother thing: no ammo expended! You just reflect on how high the communo-liberals have driven the price of factory cat'ridges. (They know what they're doing.) Goddammit, will no one think of the taxpayers?!?

What happened to the America I knew?

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 08:27 AM   #737
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
I'm with Warp, gunplay is bad medicine. Those cops should be issued tomahawks...
Do you mean the small hand-held axe-like weapon, or do you mean the Tomahawk cruise missile?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 08:36 AM   #738
plague311
Great minds think...

Deadly force wasn't his first choice. The doors, the barricade, the repeated warnings, the gun pointed at her were all clear warnings. There were only a couple officers there. If she gets through, and they have to wrestle with her to get her under arrest, then they open themselves up to a wave of people coming through. They could have been over run by sheer numbers pretty quick. Once the glass is broken and someone gets through it wouldn't be hard at all for others to follow.

The shot that hit Babbit was the warning shot to all the others. It worked. It's too bad it she let it get that far and it cost her life.

ETA: Dammit, I forgot I was a page behind. Sorry for repeating what most others have already said.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 14th October 2021 at 08:43 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 08:39 AM   #739
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh shocking the people who are all "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" over someone robbing a store or multiple cases of black people just existing are now defending the coup members and bemoaning that lethal force had to be used.

My arm is not long enough for the jerk off motion that is my soul right now.

I'm glad Babbit is dead. I hope so died alone, afraid, and in pain where the last thought in her head before the silence and darkness took her was "Well this isn't tweaking the Libs. This isn't tweaking the Libs at all!" I think we should charge her family for the cost of the bullet.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 14th October 2021 at 08:44 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 08:40 AM   #740
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Do you mean the small hand-held axe-like weapon, or do you mean the Tomahawk cruise missile?

Train them on the axe, then issue them missiles - or vice versa.
Old 14th October 2021, 08:41 AM   #741
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh shocking the people who are all "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" are defending the coup members.
Well, Babbitt can't exactly defend herself.

har har har
Old 14th October 2021, 08:42 AM   #742
sackett
Philosopher

By golly, i

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
never thought of that. With a missle destroyer anchored in the Potomac (channel's deep enough, right?), they could have scorched that fandango while Donny was bellowing. Plenty of fuss, plenty of muss, and clear skies again over America.

Goddammit, Warp n me, we're talking about freedom!

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 08:55 AM   #743
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of my efforts right now are focused on people defending cops for the use of deadly force when it isn't even permitted.

If someone has a concern about the use of deadly force where it is authorized but other options may have been available, then get in the back of the line.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 10:52 AM   #744
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
A lot of my efforts right now are focused on people defending cops for the use of deadly force when it isn't even permitted.

If someone has a concern about the use of deadly force where it is authorized but other options may have been available, then get in the back of the line.
Thank you for letting us know what you're focusing on. I feel I speak on everyone's behalf when I say, we were all wondering.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 10:55 AM   #745
plague311
Great minds think...

Looks like the Jan 6 committee is moving to officially hold Bannon in contempt. Per CNN:

Quote:
The committee investigating the January 6 Capitol Hill riot announced Thursday it is moving forward to hold Trump ally Steve Bannon in criminal contempt for refusing to comply with a subpoena, as his game of chicken with the House panel now enters a new and critical phase.

"Mr. Bannon has declined to cooperate with the Select Committee and is instead hiding behind the former President's insufficient, blanket, and vague statements regarding privileges he has purported to invoke," Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson, who chairs the committee, said in a statement on Thursday.
ETA:

Although, reading through the article, I don't even understand the point of congressional subpoenas. They sound utterly ******* useless to me.

Last edited by plague311; 14th October 2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 14th October 2021, 11:03 AM   #746
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh so they are going to call him to court for refusing to come when they called him to court.

I guess the next step is to call him to court for refusing to come to court when they told him to come to court.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 11:08 AM   #747
plague311
Great minds think...

Oh so they are going to call him to court for refusing to come when they called him to court.

I guess the next step is to call him to court for refusing to come to court when they told him to come to court.
Yeah, pretty much. Why even bother? If it's one thing I've learned over the past 5ish years, it's how toothless the House and congressional investigations are in the grand scheme of things.

Old 14th October 2021, 11:11 AM   #748
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That fringe reset about the bullet catcher really paid off. Even drew some of the bystanders into the convo. Well done.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 11:15 AM   #749
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Yeah, pretty much. Why even bother? If it's one thing I've learned over the past 5ish years, it's how toothless the House and congressional investigations are in the grand scheme of things.
Because, and I seriously do not mean to keep bringing this up over and over but it is what it is, the Democrats still against all hope and logic, still do no grasp the fact that "the system" is not some separate intelligent entity that is going to make stuff happen.

The Republicans learned this, this is why "Wait a minute I just realized I don't have to do anything unless someone makes me" is such a core part of their strategy.

The Dems keep screaming "But you have to! The rules say so!" and I keep wanting to ask them who they are talking to?

Old 14th October 2021, 11:18 AM   #750
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

From last time this came up, Congress could actually quit ******* around and actually drag these scrubs in, but we all know that the current leadership has no interest in actually doing anything.

Quote:
The third type of contempt power—Congress’s dormant inherent contempt power—is rarely used in modern times. Inherent contempt was the mode employed by Congress to directly enforce contempt rulings under its own constitutional authority until criminal and civil contempt statutes were passed, and it remained in use into the twentieth century. Under inherent contempt proceedings, the House or Senate has its Sergeant-At-Arms, or deputy, take a person into custody for proceedings to be held in Congress.
https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...wers-explained

I'm sure this will just drag out with the DOJ to the point it's no longer relevant, maybe with some insignificant punishment well after the point of mattering.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:08 PM   #751
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
From last time this came up, Congress could actually quit ******* around and actually drag these scrubs in, but we all know that the current leadership has no interest in actually doing anything.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...wers-explained

I'm sure this will just drag out with the DOJ to the point it's no longer relevant, maybe with some insignificant punishment well after the point of mattering.
We will see. The DOJ has the authority to arrest Bannon immediately and put him in jail for criminal contempt, but that would be unusual.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:25 PM   #752
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Actually, Congress has the right to send the Sergeant at Arms to arrest Bannon and lock him up in Pelosi's broom cupboard (Congress no longer has a prison cell).
Old 14th October 2021, 12:36 PM   #753
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, Congress has the right to send the Sergeant at Arms to arrest Bannon and lock him up in Pelosi's broom cupboard (Congress no longer has a prison cell).
They could house him in another facility.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:50 PM   #754
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Nonesense. What was he supposed to say? "Excuse me, but what's your name?" or "Lady crawling through the window after breaking it" before warning her?
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You seem confused. A warning to someone specific doesn't require their name be used, nor does it need to be polite. But you can't warn person A, and then act against person B as if they had been warned.

Byrd claims he gave such a warning. I didn't claim he didn't.

Of course, giving a warning is relevant to the use of deadly force, but it isn't sufficient on its own to justify its use.
The only thing confusing me is your need to pursue what was obviously a sarcastic response. Who the hell do you think the cop was pointing the gun at just a couple feet away and yelling his warnings at if not Babbitt? Do you think she was unaware of him and that gun so close to her and that door? Do you think Babbitt thought he was talking to someone else? This video shows the shooting and before Babbitt climbs into the window you can hear another rioter clearly say at least twice "He's got a gun! He's got a gun!" But she still continued in.

https://wjla.com/news/local/graphic-...aught-on-video

I'm not saying YOU denied Lt. Byrd didn't give a warning but there are some who have and are, including that Warp's link. I highly doubt a trained 28 yr. veteran of the police who had reached the rank of lieutenant didn't give a warning before shooting. I'm certainly not going to believe fellow insurrectionists who want to make a martyr out of Babbitt.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:54 PM   #755
Warp12
Master Poster

The only thing confusing me is your need to pursue what was obviously a sarcastic response. Who the hell do you think the cop was pointing the gun at just a couple feet away and yelling his warnings at if not Babbitt? Do you think she was unaware of him and that gun so close to her and that door? Do you think Babbitt thought he was talking to someone else? This video shows the shooting and before Babbitt climbs into the window you can hear another rioter clearly say at least twice "He's got a gun! He's got a gun!" But she still continued in.

https://wjla.com/news/local/graphic-...aught-on-video

I'm not saying YOU denied Lt. Byrd didn't give a warning but there are some who have and are, including that Warp's link. I highly doubt a trained 28 yr. veteran of the police who had reached the rank of lieutenant didn't give a warning before shooting. I'm certainly not going to believe fellow insurrectionists who want to make a martyr out of Babbitt.
Yeah, when you watch the video, no other option but to smoke this unarmed lady. LOL. Insane.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:55 PM   #756
plague311
Great minds think...

Yeah, when you watch the video, no other option but to smoke this unarmed lady. LOL. Insane.
That's right, get your shots. Babbit got hers.

Old 14th October 2021, 12:58 PM   #757
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

What other options were there, exactly? Please let us know what they were.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:05 PM   #758
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

January 6 panel moves to hold Steve Bannon in criminal contempt

Quote:
With the committee officially announcing its decision to move forward with criminal contempt for Bannon, the next step is for the committee to hold a business meeting, which Thompson said would be October 19.

What happens next

The business meeting next week is the first in a series of steps needed to move forward with criminal contempt. In this meeting, the committee will adopt a contempt report, which outlines the efforts the committee made to get a witness to comply with the subpoena, and the failure by the witness to do so.

This report is then referred to the House for a vote. If the vote succeeds, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi certifies the report to the United States attorney for the District of Columbia. Under law, this certification then requires the United States attorney to "bring the matter before the grand jury for its action," but the Justice Department will also makes its own determinations for prosecuting.

Any individual who is found liable for contempt of Congress is then guilty of a crime that may result in a fine and between one and 12 months imprisonment. But this process is rarely invoked, and rarely leads to jail time.

As severe as a criminal contempt referral sounds, the House's choice to use the Justice Department may be more of a warning shot than a solution. Holding Bannon in criminal contempt through a prosecution could take years, and historic criminal contempt cases have been derailed by appeals and acquittals.
So, maybe, or more likely not, they might resolve this before Civil War II begins.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 01:07 PM   #759
Warp12
Master Poster

What other options were there, exactly? Please let us know what they were.
None, of course. I mean, the officer probably had no choice but to kill her. It's not as though he might have any other weapon at his disposal (do they?)...or even the ability to fire a warning shot. You gotta go for the kill!
Old 14th October 2021, 01:09 PM   #760
carlitos
"más divertido"

None, of course. I mean, the officer probably had no choice but to kill her. It's not as though he might have any other weapon at his disposal (do they?)...or even the ability to fire a warning shot. You gotta go for the kill!
You didn't answer the question because:
  1. You don't know?
  2. You are too cowardly to state your point of view clearly?
  3. ___________?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics