IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 13th August 2021, 07:50 AM   #361
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Meanwhile, Ron DeathSantis' bluff is called, and he meekly mucks his cards:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis softens school board threats. It will be on them to cut their own pay

Yeah Ron, they might just cut their own pay, ya betcha!

He was clearly just playing to his future voter base. They lap that **** up.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 07:50 AM   #362
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Union president Anna Fusco didn't learn proper conjunction use in school, I'm thinking.

More elegant phrasing - "none of these dead people got the free covid shot."
I think one did, and one of the three that didn't was supposed to get it soon.

Last edited by Belz...; 13th August 2021 at 07:58 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 07:55 AM   #363
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think one did, and one of the thres that didn't was supposed to get it soon.
Ah, my mistake then.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 07:58 AM   #364
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Having his bluff called by nobody public school admins doesnt seem like much of a win. Makes him look like an ineffectual punk.
Old 13th August 2021, 07:59 AM   #365
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Having his bluff called by nobody public school admins doesnt seem like much of a win. Makes him look like an ineffectual punk.
Not to his base, since they'll never know about that.

Old 13th August 2021, 08:05 AM   #366
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
He’ll just say he stood up to the liberal school admins and nobody in his base will check.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 08:05 AM   #367
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

Republicans: Killing kids to pwn the Libs, cause we have no policies anyone likes.
Yeah, only 70 million voted red.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:05 AM   #368
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Listened to Chuck Todd interview on "Boston Public Radio" on WGBH radio yesterday. He thinks that DeathSantis knows that he's in deep with this and is looking for a way out that saves face and doesn't tank him politically. I don't I share that opinion. Todd also opined that Charlie Crist is going to be a formidable opponent in the 2022 race for governor. I agree with that opinion.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 08:07 AM   #369
shemp

And what is his future voter base, dead people? This isn't Chicago or New Jersey!

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 08:10 AM   #370
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Which has dick all to do with the stated fact that the GOP doesn't care about people dying.

Old 13th August 2021, 08:13 AM   #371
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

What exactly were the Republican Policies everyone liked and that they put into law when they held all both houses and the Presidency?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 08:14 AM   #372
Warp12
Master Poster

Republicans: Killing kids to pwn the Libs, cause we have no policies anyone likes.
Which has dick all to do with the stated fact that the GOP doesn't care about people dying.
What are you babbling about? 70 million seem to like Republican polices.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:14 AM   #373
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

At this point they are fast becoming a death cult.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 08:17 AM   #374
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You're making assumptions on facts not in evidence.

Old 13th August 2021, 08:22 AM   #375
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

What I can acknowledge is, Florida has a ways to go to catch them, when looking at overall deaths per 1m population. Pretty simple.

If they don't surpass them on that stat, then they made out better, statistically.

Nobody here was worried about praising them before the delta variant, lol.
If there was such a thing as a state that had zero deaths through Aug 11, 2021, and the next day the governor implemented highly irrational measures that caused an inevitable spike, that governor would deserve condemnation. Obviously.

Yet, there would be plenty of fweedom fighters defending said governor.

Last edited by varwoche; 13th August 2021 at 08:28 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 08:23 AM   #376
Warp12
Master Poster

You're making assumptions on facts not in evidence.
I'm making assumptions? LMAO.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:23 AM   #377
shemp

At this point they are fast becoming a death cult.
Which shouldn't be surprising since many of them are believers in the second coming of Jesus, Armageddon, the Rapture, etc. They WANT death because they believe in eternal life. They are no different than Islamic militants with their 72 virgins, or the Heaven's gate cult and their UFO suicide pact. They have no investment in a future for mankind. This is why they refuse to seek solutions to long-term problems such as global warming or population growth. THEY REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE A FUTURE FOR MANKIND AND THE EARTH ITSELF! In one word, they are insane. Social media has unleashed their power, and politicians are taking advantage of it.

Old 13th August 2021, 08:25 AM   #378
Belz...
Fiend God

You are assuming that people only vote for the party that has policies they like. That is naive. They vote for a variety of reasons, discussed at length here and elsewhere.

What are the policies of the GOP right now? Aside from tax cuts for the rich, that is? That's right. Their policy is owning the libs; trolling, as it were. "Getting back" at those uppity blacks and pandering to every bigoted group they can find.

That's what people vote for, on the GOP side.

Old 13th August 2021, 08:25 AM   #379
Belz...
Fiend God

Assumptions not evidenced. Read the whole thing.

Old 13th August 2021, 08:28 AM   #380
Warp12
Master Poster

What are the policies of the GOP right now? Aside from tax cuts for the rich, that is? That's right. Their policy is owning the libs; trolling, as it were. "Getting back" at those uppity blacks and pandering to every bigoted group they can find.

LOL. I guess you read that in the paper.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:31 AM   #381
carlitos
"más divertido"

Maybe we shouldn't require that vaccine? Especially now.
I disagree. Living in a first-world, Western country, I like the idea of not dealing with the hassle of measles outbreaks making people sick and killing us.

May I ask - why "especially now" is in your response? Would "now" be an especially good time to re-introduce measles outbreaks for some reason?
You may have missed this in the rapid-fire dialogue. Any thoughts?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 08:34 AM   #382
Warp12
Master Poster

You may have missed this in the rapid-fire dialogue. Any thoughts?
My thought is, that if something is effectively eradicated, we might not need to vaccinate. If it isn't, then of course, vaccination should continue.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:36 AM   #383
slyjoe
Master Poster

You are assuming that people only vote for the party that has policies they like. That is naive. They vote for a variety of reasons, discussed at length here and elsewhere.

The GOP couldn't be bothered to even come up with a party platform in 2020. So when you talk of GOP policies, they don't exist.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 08:37 AM   #384
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you are free to provide evidence of your claims. I won't hold my breath though.

LOL. I guess you read that in the paper.
I'm still waiting on you to post their policies as evidence by their passing bills when they held both houses and the Presidency from 2017 to 2019. I won't hold my breath over that one either.

Old 13th August 2021, 08:38 AM   #385
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

My thought is, that if something is effectively eradicated, we might not need to vaccinate. If it isn't, then of course, vaccination should continue.
You can thank Anti-Vaxxers

Old 13th August 2021, 08:40 AM   #386
carlitos
"más divertido"

Due to anti-vaccine efforts, measles is no longer effectively eradicated, so we should keep vaccinating for measles, per this criteria. There is some great information on vaccines at the CDC website.

Last edited by carlitos; 13th August 2021 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 13th August 2021, 08:45 AM   #387
Warp12
Master Poster

Due to anti-vaccine efforts, measles is no longer effectively eradicated, so we should keep vaccinating for measles, per this criteria. There is some great information on vaccines at the CDC website.
I'm certainly not an anti-vaxxer. But I think we should also be aware of why and in some cases, if, vaccines are required.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:50 AM   #388
Susheel
Master Poster

I'm certainly not an anti-vaxxer. But I think we should also be aware of why and in some cases, if, vaccines are required.
Both those questions should have been covered by your high school science classes. Either you were sleeping during those sessions, or the school science program in your state, or county, or whatever is grossly inadequate.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:51 AM   #389
carlitos
"más divertido"

Do you have enough information to change your opinion on the measles vaccine? How about the coronavirus vaccine? Should it be mandatory at this point, for example in the workforce or in high schools?
Old 13th August 2021, 08:52 AM   #390
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Both those questions should have been covered by your high school science classes. Either you were sleeping during those sessions, or the school science program in your state, or county, or whatever is grossly inadequate.
Sorry, bro...like 35+ years ago. Good tip, though.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:58 AM   #391
Warp12
Master Poster

Do you have enough information to change your opinion on the measles vaccine? How about the coronavirus vaccine? Should it be mandatory at this point, for example in the workforce or in high schools?
Did it seem like I was hardcore against the measles vaccine? As I say, if not eradicated, continue vaccinations.

I don't like the idea of mandatory vaccination. Now, that being said, I encourage people to get the covid vaccine.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:59 AM   #392
Susheel
Master Poster

So you did not bother to keep abreast of advances and needs. Atleast school should have provided you with a desire to update your knowledge. Not replace it with the stuff that even contradicts the fundamentals you learned there. I mean with the wealth of information sources available, the answers to your questions from validated sources would be easy.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:01 AM   #393
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
So you did not bother to keep abreast of advances and needs. Atleast school should have provided you with a desire to update your knowledge. Not replace it with the stuff that even contradicts the fundamentals you learned there. I mean with the wealth of information sources available, the answers to your questions from validated sources would be easy.
Yawn. I had my vaccinations. Whatever you say.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:01 AM   #394
carlitos
"más divertido"

Did it seem like I was hardcore against the measles vaccine? As I say, if not eradicated, continue vaccinations.

I don't like the idea of mandatory vaccination. Now, that being said, I encourage people to get the covid vaccine.
Could you possibly answer "yes" or "no" to either of these questions, or maybe you just haven't thought much about it, in which case "I don't know" might be best? I can't really tell what you think about either vaccine from your response.

For example, I believe that we should continue to mandate measles vaccines in school kids. My answer would be "yes."

I believe that we should mandate the Covid 19 vaccine for High School and University kids this fall. My answer would be "yes."

You?
Old 13th August 2021, 09:05 AM   #395
Warp12
Master Poster

Could you possibly answer "yes" or "no" to either of these questions, or maybe you just haven't thought much about it, in which case "I don't know" might be best? I can't really tell what you think about either vaccine from your response.

For example, I believe that we should continue to mandate measles vaccines in school kids. My answer would be "yes."

I believe that we should mandate the Covid 19 vaccine for High School and University kids this fall. My answer would be "yes."

You?
Yes, vaccinate for measles, by default. But not mandatory.

Covid, not mandatory.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:06 AM   #396
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Covid, not mandatory.
Glad to know you're still advocating for dead kids then.

Old 13th August 2021, 09:07 AM   #397
Susheel
Master Poster

Good grief...do you even do a cursory run through before you post?
Old 13th August 2021, 09:10 AM   #398
carlitos
"más divertido"

Covid, not mandatory.
How can you vaccinate for something "by default" without making it mandatory? Today, you have a card to fill out with your pediatrician, and the "default" vaccines are the mandatory ones.

ETA - just to remind us, when people opt-out of measles vaccines, outbreaks occur.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:11 AM   #399
Warp12
Master Poster

You?
Also, to add, I don't have a problem if employers or institutions require a vaccine standard. That falls under "choice". I can choose not to get vaccinated, but I can't work or go to school at certain places.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:12 AM   #400
Warp12
Master Poster

How can you vaccinate for something "by default" without making it mandatory? Today, you have a card to fill out with your pediatrician, and the "default" vaccines are the mandatory ones.

ETA - just to remind us, when people opt-out of measles vaccines, outbreaks occur.
Let it go, man.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics