IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th October 2021, 07:51 PM   #521
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Allen West, Republican running for governor of Texas, hospitalized with covid-19
Rachel Pannett1:56 a.m. EDT

Allen West, a tea party firebrand who is seeking the Republican nomination in the Texas gubernatorial race, is in the hospital after testing positive for the coronavirus.

West, a former Republican congressman from Florida, is unvaccinated. His diagnosis Saturday came days after he attended a crowded political fundraiser at a yacht club in Seabrook.

From his hospital bed, he issued a string of tweets attacking vaccine mandates and promoting controversial treatments, vowing that if elected, he would “vehemently crush anyone forcing vaccine mandates” in Texas.

Our bodies are our last sanctuary of liberty and freedom, I will defend that for everyone,” he wrote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ican-governor/
Put it on his tombstone.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 04:59 AM   #522
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Put it on his tombstone.

Here lies the body of Allen West,
Who died while making a COVID protest.
Against vaccines he put up a fight,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been right.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 05:40 AM   #523
slyjoe
Master Poster

He was released from the hospital after receiving monoclonal antibody therapy.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/polit...ace/index.html
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 06:56 AM   #524
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Double
Old 12th October 2021, 07:41 AM   #525
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That would be the medicine that is "not FDA approved," only having emergency use authorization. Unlike the "FDA approved" vaccines. These guys are such idiots.

Quote:
The following investigational monoclonal antibody therapies are available under FDA emergency use authorization (EUA):

Casirivimab and imdevimab, administered together (EUA issued November 21, 2020, latest update July 30, 2021)
Bamlanivimab and etesevimab, administered together (EUA issued February 9, 2021)
Sotrovimab (EUA issued May 26, 2021)
Tocilizumab (EUA issued June, 24 2021)
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 09:35 AM   #526
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Wonder how thrilled his insurance company is to fork out thousands of dollars for that treatment instead of him getting the free vaccine.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 10:12 AM   #527
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Wonder how thrilled his insurance company is to fork out thousands of dollars for that treatment instead of him getting the free vaccine.
I haven't looked it up but I wonder if there's any progress on insurance companies requiring vaccines in order to pay for COVID treatment?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 11:08 AM   #528
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I have to know...

...was the above inspired by a previous work?
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 01:53 PM   #529
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
West made multiple arguments on social media that government should promote Covid treatments -- such as the Regeneron monoclonal antibody infusion -- over vaccination. CNN report
In other words, LET people get sick with Covid-19 but when they do, make an effective treatment available. That's MUCH preferable to PREVENTING people from getting it.

As Sgt. Joe Friday used to say:

Quote:
"How's that again?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hows that again.jpg (54.6 KB, 4 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:19 PM   #530
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now Abbott has banned all vaccine mandates in Texas.
God, I hate that freaking state.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:19 PM   #531
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Texas....Almost heaven. But first you have to get Covid 19, then comes heaven.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:24 PM   #532
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Truth.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:28 PM   #533
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Here lies Allen West
Against mandates, he fought his best.
But when Covid struck
He was well and truly ******.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:42 PM   #534
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That's too bad. We can still hope he has serious long haul.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 04:02 PM   #535
carlitos
"más divertido"

Before you see the light, you must DIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!
- Saint Thomas Araya, "South of Heaven"
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 12:08 AM   #536
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Before you see the light, you must DIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!
- Saint Thomas Araya, "South of Heaven"
Old 13th October 2021, 02:46 AM   #537
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

“Our bodies are our last sanctuary of liberty and freedom, I will defend that for everyone,” he wrote.

I’m slowly coming to believe that this stuff is less unintentional irony and more intentional trolling. “I’m gonna pwn the lib-head abortion-rights activists, Haw, haw.”

ETA
or he is one of the strictest of the strict constitutionalists and by everyone he means white, male land owners. That explanation works too.

Last edited by Ladewig; 13th October 2021 at 02:49 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 02:55 AM   #538
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I haven't looked it up but I wonder if there's any progress on insurance companies requiring vaccines in order to pay for COVID treatment?
I'm not sure what obligation insurance companies have to pay for any and all treatments - I'm sure it varies immensely by company, state and type of policy.

I'm guessing that insurance companies don't *have* to fork out for multi-million dollar, unproven, treatments with doubtful efficacy and that decisions about whether to authorise treatment is done both on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with general guidelines.

I'd have thought it quite rare for someone to have carte blanche to be able to have any or all treatments regardless.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:56 AM   #539
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Here lies Allen West
Against mandates, he fought his best.
But when Covid struck
He was well and truly ******.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:26 PM   #540
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

They want to die for their deity and go swiftly to heaven. Covid is just the means to that end. They don't care if they kill non-believers along the way.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:26 PM   #541
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
They want to die for their deity and go swiftly to heaven. Covid is just the means to that end. They don't care if they kill non-believers along the way.
That's a feature.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 05:35 PM   #542
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

That's a feature.
Even when they use a bug?

I'll get my coat.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 08:40 PM   #543
Fidelio
Muse

I live right near the CDC. I'm gonna see if I can check out some smallpox and polio. Kinda like a library. Boy howdy won't that trigger the snowflakes.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 01:51 PM   #544
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Now Abbott has banned all vaccine mandates in Texas.
God, I hate that freaking state.
Though they seem fine with forcing teachers to teach Holocaust denial.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 02:31 PM   #545
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Though they seem fine with forcing teachers to teach Holocaust denial.
That stupidity has been rectified.

Quote:
School administrators in Texas have apologised for telling teachers that they needed to teach “opposing perspectives” about the Holocaust due to new laws aimed at curbing “critical race theory” in the classroom.

Gina Peddy, curriculum director for the Carroll Independent School District in Southlake, Texas, had reportedly warned teachers at a training meeting last Friday that they must balance books about the Nazi genocide with other books taking the opposite view.

But in a Facebook post on on Thursday, district superintendent Lane Ledbetter apologised to families and teachers affirming that “there are not two sides of the Holocaust”.
Quote:
“As we continue to work through implementation of [Texas House Bill] 3979, we also understand this bill does not require an opposing viewpoint on historical facts. As a district we will work to add clarity to our expectations for teachers and once again apologise for any hurt or confusion this has caused.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/texas-schools-books-opposing-holocaust-b1939480.html?r=47510

Quote:
Abbott said so in a new statement on his signing of House Bill 3979, which dictates how Texas teachers can talk to their students about current events and America’s history of racism. Critical race theory refers to an academic discipline that views race as a social construct, and outlawing critical race theory in public schools has become a national Republican cause.

"House Bill 3979 is a strong move to abolish critical race theory in Texas, but more must be done," Abbott said in the statement. "The issue will be added to a special session agenda."
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/16/texas-critical-race-theory-legislature/

This stupid bill is all about making sure that slavery, the Confederacy, racism and the history of racism can be whitewashed or even banned (CRT).
Old 17th October 2021, 01:09 PM   #546
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Apparently, if you're a state trooper and die of Covid because you weren't vaccinated, you died "in the line of duty."

Washington state trooper who died of COVID hadn’t been vaccinated yet, family says

Quote:
Washington State Patrol Trooper Eric Gunderson, who died from COVID-19 at age 38 last month, was unvaccinated but likely would have gotten a vaccine this fall, family members said in a statement Friday.
Bit late, innit?

Quote:
He died Sept. 26, and is the 32nd trooper to die in the line of duty, according to Chief John Batiste.
I suppose if it makes his family feel better. Perhaps it has financial implications for them too.

Quote:
Gunderson contracted the coronavirus while traveling for work, said the family’s statement, which was issued Friday by WSP Communications Director Chris Loftis. Though State Patrol officials earlier had said Gunderson caught the virus that causes COVID-19 while on the job, they did not disclose Gunderson’s vaccination status, which prompted questions from news organizations.

Family described Gunderson — who is survived by his wife and two sons — as in peak physical condition, active in the SWAT team, and in coaching his boys. “He thought — we all thought — that Covid was something that happened to someone else. He was not in a high risk group,” the statement says.
Yep, can't happen to me!

Meanwhile, the goddamn liberal media can't leave it alone!

Quote:
The statement says family members would have preferred to “let this painful part of a painful time pass,” but that The Seattle Times made an official public-disclosure request to WSP about Gunderson’s vaccination status. “The Patrol has honored our family’s wishes to keep Eric’s passing out of the political realm and to concentrate on his life of service and sacrifice.”

The Seattle Times also has requested information on how the State Patrol determined Gunderson contracted the coronavirus on the job.
Well, he died because, unfortunately, he listened to people who did make it political. Hundreds of thousands of people have died because one ******* made it political.

I hope something really horrible happens to Donald Trump. He deserves it.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard

Last edited by shemp; 17th October 2021 at 01:12 PM.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 01:28 PM   #547
Warp12
Master Poster

Apparently, if you're a state trooper and die of Covid because you weren't vaccinated, you died "in the line of duty."

Washington state trooper who died of COVID hadn’t been vaccinated yet, family says

Bit late, innit?

I suppose if it makes his family feel better. Perhaps it has financial implications for them too.

Yep, can't happen to me!

Well, he died because, unfortunately, he listened to people who did make it political. Hundreds of thousands of people have died because one ******* made it political.

He wasn't in a high-risk group. And he wasn't a GOP politician.
Old 17th October 2021, 01:36 PM   #548
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Bit late, innit?

Yep, can't happen to me!

As a police officer, he was in constant contact with the public who could infect him with C19. If he was going to get in this fall, why not earlier? He qualified as an essential worker so could have received the vaccine late last winter. It is further proof that even those not in a 'high-risk group' physically are still at risk of death.
Old 17th October 2021, 02:06 PM   #549
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
He wasn't in a high-risk group. And he wasn't a GOP politician.
But he didn't get vaccinated and now he is dead from Covid 19. Appropriate thread drift to me.
Old 17th October 2021, 02:13 PM   #550
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
But he didn't get vaccinated and now he is dead from Covid 19. Appropriate thread drift to me.
Ok, so this is now the thread about any "dumbass" who didn't get vaccinated and then died from Covid? Cool.
Old 17th October 2021, 02:28 PM   #551
dirtywick
Illuminator

I agree, and I don't even think reporting his death as an example of what can happen if you ignore the warnings and recommendations of medical science is making anything political. I think the people that are saying ignore this evidence to the contrary of what I'm saying, you're not in danger, we don't need to spend any public resources on this and continue life as normal are the ones making it political. The ones saying they're just playing politics, you're in no danger so take no precautions and don't trust those who are encouraging you to are making it political.

I really hope the family, and many others, realize that making COVID political is the reason why their husband and father is dead.
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 02:40 PM   #552
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Ok, so this is now the thread about any "dumbass" who didn't get vaccinated and then died from Covid? Cool.
I'd be good with that. Wonder if the mods will let it happen.
Old 17th October 2021, 03:01 PM   #553
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

As a police officer, he was in constant contact with the public who could infect him with C19...
And then other members of the public who could be infected by him. And probably were. In fact, this whole thing with vaccines and the police has become a political issue:
Quote:
Police officers and others responsible for public safety should view vaccination against Covid-19 as a key part of their role, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease doctor, said during an interview on Fox News Sunday. "Think about the implications of not getting vaccinated when you’re in a position where you have a responsible job, and you want to protect yourself because you’re needed at your job, whether you’re a police officer or a pilot or any other of those kinds of occupations,” said Dr. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases...

“I’m not comfortable with telling people what they should do under normal circumstances, but we are not in normal circumstances right now,” Dr. Fauci said. “Take the police: We now know the statistics, more police officers [have died] of Covid [in 2020 and 2021] than they do any other causes of death. So it doesn’t make any sense to not try to protect yourself, as well as the colleagues that you work with.” New York Times link
In Chicago the head of the police union had been urging officers to NOT report their vaccination status by Friday as the City of Chicago was requiring. The city is not requiring officers be vaccinated but they'll have to be tested twice-a-week if they're not. John Catanzara, the president of the Fraternal Order of Police in Chicago, warned that up to half of Chicago's police might refuse to report to work starting Saturday if the requirement remained in place. That appears not to have happened. Police unions in other cities have threatened job actions but then, at the last minute, backed away from them. Some union officials have all but admitted, public support for resisting vaccines or reporting status, is just not there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Enough is too much.jpg (126.2 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 04:17 PM   #554
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe the mods could simply edit the the thread title to, "The Thread for Dumbass GOP Politicians and Others Who Died of Covid."
Old 17th October 2021, 04:25 PM   #555
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The original premise was never going to be very fruitful. Covid just isn't that deadly, and politicians as a class just aren't that sickly and destitute.
Old 17th October 2021, 04:59 PM   #556
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The original premise was never going to be very fruitful. Covid just isn't that deadly, and politicians as a class just aren't that sickly and destitute.
Has almost nothing do do with your chances of catching COVID 19.
Old 17th October 2021, 05:18 PM   #557
kevbo
Thinker

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Maybe the mods could simply edit the the thread title to, "The Thread for Dumbass GOP Politicians and Others Who Died of Covid."
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 06:09 PM   #558
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Really? Not that deadly? Tell that to the 744,546 people who have died in so far in the US and the 4,913,930 people who have died worldwide. And those are only the ones we know about. There are likely tens, if not hundreds, of thousands more.

Why this need to downplay it? Following Trump's lead?
Old 17th October 2021, 06:14 PM   #559
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Maybe the mods could simply edit the the thread title to, "The Thread for Dumbass GOP Politicians and Other Morans Who Died of Covid."
My humble contribution.
Old 17th October 2021, 06:25 PM   #560
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Has almost nothing do do with your chances of catching COVID 19.
Has everything to do with dying of covid, which is the premise of this thread.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics