IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:54 AM   #161
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Give insurance companies the right to refuse reimbursement if un-vaccinated people contract Covid.
That would get us to 100% pretty quick.
No it wouldn't. These people are in denial that they will need the hospital for COVID. It would just result in more uncollectible hospital debt that will be absorbed into our medical insurance premiums.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 03:37 PM   #162
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
How else would you know she cocked it all up?

I'll show myself out.
NVM. I thought this was the Trump Coop thread.

I'm right behind you.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 04:08 PM   #163
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Is this supposed to be the dumbest argument ever? If so, I endorse it in a such a competition.

Ideology and intent. Those are the delineating factors.
One is intent on killing as many people as possible because of an insane ideology.
The other is Osama bin Laden. (Also a deplorable douche-canoe)
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 05:20 PM   #164
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The messaging is stronger when you have an anti-vaxxer die of a vaccine preventable infection. It doesn't mean one is dancing on their graves.

But I'm not surprised that you would take this position. It must be difficult knowing being a Republican is a risk factor for believing in medical woo.
I'll dance on their graves, give me an address. I'll shotgun the cheapest beer i can find on top of their tombstone, really trashy style.
Old 31st August 2021, 05:22 PM   #165
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'll dance on their graves, give me an address. I'll shotgun the cheapest beer i can find on top of their tombstone, really trashy style.
I, on the other hand, would toast them with a bottle of fine wine. And then pour it on their grave later.
Who'm I kidding, my cheap plonk will make me pee just as well.
Old 31st August 2021, 05:35 PM   #166
crescent
Illuminator

Candace Owens reportedly hit with "sudden illness," claims it's absolutely not COVID

crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 05:45 PM   #167
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Quote:
"I'm still proudly unvaccinated and unmasked."
The 'proudly stupid' is more like it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 07:32 PM   #168
kevbo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The 'proudly stupid' is more like it.
Eight people died of COVID in my county yesterday. All unvaccinated. What is wrong with people?
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 07:57 PM   #169
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
Eight people died of COVID in my county yesterday. All unvaccinated. What is wrong with people?
Only death can cure stupid.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:00 PM   #170
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, she is determined to be so backwards that she has 91-DIVOC.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 11:05 PM   #171
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
How much time ya got?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 04:52 AM   #172
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I really doubt, despite her claims, that's she unvaxxed. If she has covid, she'll likely make a speedy recovery like most vaccinated people.

If I had godlike omniscience, it would be very interesting to see which of these anti-vax right wing pundits are actually unvaxxed, and which are just faking it to remain relevant in the current moment.

It's a pretty sweet grift, assuming you don't mind perpetuating pointless human misery, because there's really no way for people to know or not unless you tell on yourself.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 1st September 2021 at 04:53 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 07:28 AM   #173
crescent
Illuminator

I really doubt, despite her claims, that's she unvaxxed.
I agree, more or less. I mean I don't know about Owen herself, but in general the functional political operatives know well enough to get vaccinated while never publicly admitting to it and to continue to rail against the vaccine and the dangers of the disease even as they benefit from that evil vaccine.

The ones in this thread are for the most part second-tier operatives. Too dumb and too honest to realize that the true GOP path is to get the vaccine but claim they didn't.

Last edited by crescent; 1st September 2021 at 08:13 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 08:04 AM   #174
plague311
Great minds think...

I have a buddy whose dad passed away from COVID last night. Unvaccinated, of course, and it doesn't change his outlook at all. He said, "This is something I was prepared for when this disease came about, and none of the reasons why I won't get the vaccine have changed for me at all."

His reasoning is a mixture of he doesn't know what's in it, and he doesn't know the long term effects. Tough to hold back saying, "Thankfully your father won't have to worry about the long term effects."

I feel bad for him, he's my friend, but it's tough to muster up a ton of compassion. Tough break.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 08:49 AM   #175
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I have a buddy whose dad passed away from COVID last night. Unvaccinated, of course, and it doesn't change his outlook at all. He said, "This is something I was prepared for when this disease came about, and none of the reasons why I won't get the vaccine have changed for me at all."

His reasoning is a mixture of he doesn't know what's in it, and he doesn't know the long term effects. Tough to hold back saying, "Thankfully your father won't have to worry about the long term effects."

I feel bad for him, he's my friend, but it's tough to muster up a ton of compassion. Tough break.
Well, your buddy discovered a permanent effect of COVID. So there's that.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 09:07 AM   #176
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

To be honest, I wonder if suffering a dear loss makes it harder for some people to let go.

I imagine admitting to being wrong with come with a lot of grief, especially if they were personally advocating this idiocy. Doubling down on a dumb idea might be easier on the mind that admitting you got conned and it cost you a father or other loved one.

All of these deaths are truly pointless, and admitting that after the fact would seem extremely painful.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 1st September 2021 at 09:09 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 09:36 AM   #177
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Well, your buddy discovered a permanent effect of COVID. So there's that.
Yes, he certainly did.

To be honest, I wonder if suffering a dear loss makes it harder for some people to let go.

I imagine admitting to being wrong with come with a lot of grief, especially if they were personally advocating this idiocy. Doubling down on a dumb idea might be easier on the mind that admitting you got conned and it cost you a father or other loved one.

All of these deaths are truly pointless, and admitting that after the fact would seem extremely painful.
I don't have access to hear what his family is saying, and I haven't talked to him much today. I'm sure he's, understandably, grieving and he ain't much of a talker anyway. I'd say his family might view things differently now, but he's definitely an advocate for not getting vaccinated.

I can't imagine the loss. I'm closer to my dad than I am to any human alive, including kids and spouse. If I felt like I was at all responsible I think it would cause me some serious mental issues. I'm not sure if they'll find out who first got it through contact tracing, but if they do I can imagine the road getting harder.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:48 PM   #178
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
Old 1st September 2021, 01:22 PM   #179
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
You can't make him think, either.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:15 PM   #180
Steve
Philosopher

This seems to crop up a lot among anti-vaxxers. The obvious question is 'do they know, and understand, and care about, the exact composition and effects of literally everything else they consume?'
Old 1st September 2021, 02:20 PM   #181
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This seems to crop up a lot among anti-vaxxers. The obvious question is 'do they know, and understand, and care about, the exact composition and effects of literally everything else they consume?'
Good point.

Plague311, just out of curiosity, does your friend smoke or consume alcohol?
Old 1st September 2021, 02:23 PM   #182
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The weird thing is that whatever side effects might rarely result from vaccines occur almost immediately, certainly within a few weeks. It's just a matter of fact that if there were going to be any aftereffects from covid vaccines, they would have been observed long ago. How long do these people think they should wait?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 02:26 PM   #183
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

But horses are smart enough to drink when they're thirsty. They don't worry about long-term non-existent consequences.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 02:45 PM   #184
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
But horses are smart enough to drink when they're thirsty. They don't worry about long-term non-existent consequences.
That's because horses have more sense than anti-vaxxers.

Old 1st September 2021, 03:31 PM   #185
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

These two haven't died but oh, the schadenfreude is sweet:

Quote:
An attorney representing many high-profile suspects from the January 6 riot -- a riot of lies -- has apparently been hospitalized due to Covid. The California-based attorney, John Pierce, has not been showing up for hearings "after reportedly becoming ill with Covid-19," CNN's Katelyn Polantz reported, citing DOJ filings. Prosecutors said they believe he "may be in the hospital and that his absence has effectively brought several cases to a standstill."

"Prior to his reported health issues," ABC's team reported, "Pierce pushed conspiracy theories surrounding the insurrection on his Twitter account, where he also espoused anti-vaccination conspiracy theorists."
and:

Quote:
Arizona's sham election "audit" report was delayed after the Cyber Ninjas CEO and others tested positive for Covid-19. CNN's team noted that the "Ninjas" were often seen without masks, and it was "not clear whether those who tested positive had been vaccinated."
Disbelief in election results and distrust of the vaccines are connected.
Quote:
State Sen. Karen Fann (R) said in a statement Monday she had received a “portion” of the expected draft, but “CEO Doug Logan and two other members of the five-person audit team have tested positive for COVID-19 and are quite sick.”
https://thehill.com/changing-america...ader-seriously
Old 1st September 2021, 03:33 PM   #186
slyjoe
Master Poster

https://www.uchealth.com/en/media-ro...ne-ingredients
And it's not like the ingredients are a secret. In addition to mRNA, there are fats and oils, acids, salt and sugar.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vaccine ingredients.jpg (34.8 KB, 17 views)
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 03:46 PM   #187
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post

And it's not like the ingredients are a secret. In addition to mRNA, there are fats and oils, acids, salt and sugar.

Aha! It's the sugar that magnetizes us! They should use aspartame instead.
Old 1st September 2021, 07:32 PM   #188
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Joe Rogan, a podcasting giant who has been dismissive of vaccination, has Covid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/01/b...KyDRL5p8at7XJc
Old 1st September 2021, 07:53 PM   #189
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

That's because horses have more sense than anti-vaxxers.

Some of those that hold office, are taking pills made for horses.

Some of those up in Congress, ARE TAKING PILLS MADE FOR HORSES!

UGH!
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 08:06 PM   #190
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

These two haven't died but oh, the schadenfreude is sweet...
What happens to the AZ "audit team" if the majority of them die? Does the audit just...end? Or simply go into stasis forever? Perhaps a ruling from the AZ congress might use that possibility to shut down this ridiculous waste of time and money.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 08:08 PM   #191
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Joe Rogan, a podcasting giant who has been dismissive of vaccination, has Covid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/01/b...KyDRL5p8at7XJc
...and is taking horse pills for it.

What a pity he got worms at the same time as he got COVID. Must be tough for the guy.
Old 1st September 2021, 08:53 PM   #192
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

And on an even more basic level, one could ask an anti -vaxxer what information can we give thhh will satisfy you.

There is no answer.
Old 1st September 2021, 09:01 PM   #193
kevbo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Only death can cure stupid.
Not sure I think of it as a cure. More of a final solution, or perhaps the participation trophy in a Darwin's Competiton. Not a winner, but hey, at least they get something to prove they were there.

Last edited by kevbo; 1st September 2021 at 09:03 PM.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 09:06 PM   #194
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Those who celebrated the death of OBL are equally idiotic, imo. ...
I can think of 3,000 who would love to have the chance to celebrate UBLs death... and the 19 dolts never had a chance to live a full life thanks to their leader UBL, maybe they could celebrate his death if it had been sooner. Think of celebrating UBL/terrorist death the opposite of a New Orleans Jazz Funeral... celebrating the fact they can't murder or inspire murderers, vs a celebration of the person's life.

Who would celebrate a terrorist's death? An Anti-terrorist, but not anti-anti-terrorist?

Are you anti-vaxxer, or anti-anti-vaxxer? Why upset about reporting on the demise of anit-vaxxer, anti-mask promoters?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 09:23 PM   #195
Fidelio
Muse

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
...and is taking horse pills for it.

What a pity he got worms at the same time as he got COVID. Must be tough for the guy.
Slight correction bud they are not pills. The ivermectin approved for human use (river blindness, scabies and other parasites) are in pill form.

These dickweeds have decided a paste most of which is ejected from the subject animal is way way mo betta' than a vaccine proven by literally (in proper use of the word) millions of doses safe and effective.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 09:54 PM   #196
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Slight correction bud they are not pills. The ivermectin approved for human use (river blindness, scabies and other parasites) are in pill form.

These dickweeds have decided a paste most of which is ejected from the subject animal is way way mo betta' than a vaccine proven by literally (in proper use of the word) millions of doses safe and effective.
It actually gets dumber.

Ivermectin in human use is (most of the time) a topical or a pill.

In livestock, it is generally an oral paste or an injectable. These people who are so 'skeptical' of the vaccines use the oral paste, fed to sheep and horses for worms, by applying it topically to their armpits. They use the injectable orally. Ivermectin can greatly inflame lymph nodes, like in your armpit.

Reading the advice these people give each other is freaking wild.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:27 PM   #197
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I stand dejected. Thoroughly and completely dejected for certain sections of the human race.
Old 2nd September 2021, 05:03 AM   #198
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

There is also a use for topical solution for dermatological issues in humans.
Old 2nd September 2021, 05:07 AM   #199
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
It actually gets dumber.

Ivermectin in human use is (most of the time) a topical or a pill.

In livestock, it is generally an oral paste or an injectable. These people who are so 'skeptical' of the vaccines use the oral paste, fed to sheep and horses for worms, by applying it topically to their armpits. They use the injectable orally. Ivermectin can greatly inflame lymph nodes, like in your armpit.

Reading the advice these people give each other is freaking wild.
Even if there was proof that Ivermectin had some benefit against covid, people seeking out dubious medical advice and self-medicating is a nightmare scenario.

It's worse that Ivermectin is an actual drug, because the paste that people are gobbling up absolutely has an impact on their body. These people would be suffering much less negative side effects if they just stuck to healing crystals or homeopathic magic water.
Old 2nd September 2021, 05:16 AM   #200
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Joe Rogan has covid. Honestly, him dropping dead after dosing himself with the entire kitchen sink of woo medicines would probably go a looooong way in convincing a lot of dude-bro vax "skeptics" to stop screwing around. Alternatively, him recovering will probably lead to an explosion of people claiming the miracle drugs work.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/01/10334...vid-ivermectin

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 2nd September 2021 at 05:19 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics