IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:17 PM   #41
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Sarah Huckery-Sanders, and Kayliar McNinny?
All to well.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:04 PM   #42
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Horses were not the critical factor of the plain fact that border patrol agents were abusing human beings. Focusing on inconsequential factors is spin.
Nor were horses the main content of her statement that you left out and which plague311 and I provided. Selective editing on your part focusing on a single sentence of her statement is spin.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 23rd September 2021 at 11:09 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:33 PM   #43
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I haven't checked the vids, correct me if I've got it wrong... when LEOs chase down folk on horseback and whip them with the reins.... the presence/use of horses might be part of the problem.

That does not excuse the men in the saddles.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 01:17 AM   #44
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I haven't checked the vids, correct me if I've got it wrong... when LEOs chase down folk on horseback and whip them with the reins.... the presence/use of horses might be part of the problem.

There's video in this link:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...tian-migrants/
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 04:45 AM   #45
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post

The root of the issue is that Biden is continuing the Trump-era practice of denying asylum seekers their rights under international law to make an asylum claim and not be summarily deported. Federal agents beating back mobs of unarmed people at the border is the inevitable consequence of such a policy.

Psaki will issue some press release blaming the tactics or individuals involved, but all that is simply spin to distract from the plain brutality inherent to this policy.
Old 24th September 2021, 10:46 AM   #46
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Political cartoonist Eli Valley on Psaki running cover for Biden's border policies:

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status...45991312412680
Old 24th September 2021, 12:28 PM   #47
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The root of the issue is that Biden is continuing the Trump-era practice of denying asylum seekers their rights under international law to make an asylum claim and not be summarily deported. Federal agents beating back mobs of unarmed people at the border is the inevitable consequence of such a policy.

Psaki will issue some press release blaming the tactics or individuals involved, but all that is simply spin to distract from the plain brutality inherent to this policy.
The Haitians are being deported under health authority, not migration law per Mayorkas. He said many have gotten sick and not accepting them is a "public health imperative".

We simply do not have the ability to take in tens or even hundreds of thousands of refugees during a health crisis like this pandemic. It's easy to criticize from the comfort of your couch, but coming up with a solution to this huge problem is incredibly difficult and, for some, nothing less than allowing all of them in or none of them in is acceptable.
Old 24th September 2021, 12:30 PM   #48
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Political cartoonist Eli Valley on Psaki running cover for Biden's border policies:

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status...45991312412680
Stupid cartoon.
Old 24th September 2021, 01:16 PM   #49
carlitos
"más divertido"

Yeah, I peeked at that comic artist's page and he's way out there.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 04:45 PM   #50
mgidm86
Philosopher

It has to do with her in that her job is to spin bad press for the administration. That's kinda been my whole point, it's weird that a "skeptics forum" would fawn over someone who has a job to massage the facts.

Yes, they do that sometimes. How did she spin anything about the horse and whip thing though? What is there to spin?

I will admit though that when comparing Trump era people to Psaki that the difference is so staggering that Psaki may look perfect at a quick glance when she's actually not. Perhaps I'm suffering from that.
Old 24th September 2021, 05:22 PM   #51
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Yes, they do that sometimes. How did she spin anything about the horse and whip thing though? What is there to spin?

I will admit though that when comparing Trump era people to Psaki that the difference is so staggering that Psaki may look perfect at a quick glance when she's actually not. Perhaps I'm suffering from that.
When all you've been served for years is bullcrap pie, even gluten free, sugar free cake seems delicious.
Old 1st October 2021, 08:15 PM   #52
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1443655158185922574

Quote:
because we’re in the middle of a pandemic which by the way, we would’ve made progress on had the former President addressed the pandemic and not suggest people inject bleach

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 08:34 PM   #53
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Fake news.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 09:57 PM   #54
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This is untrue. Trump never suggested that anyone inject themselves with bleach. But as I say, what can you expect from Psaki? She is a mouthpiece for the administration. A spin doctor like every one of them.
Old 1st October 2021, 10:31 PM   #55
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This is untrue. Trump never suggested that anyone inject themselves with bleach. But as I say, what can you expect from Psaki? She is a mouthpiece for the administration. A spin doctor like every one of them.
You're right of course, he said to inject disinfectant.

https://www.info.gov.hk/info/sars/en/useofbleach.htm

"Bleach is a strong and effective disinfectant. Its active ingredient, sodium hypochlorite, denatures protein in micro-organisms and is therefore effective in killing bacteria, fungus and viruses. Household bleach works quickly and is widely available at a low cost. Diluted household bleach is thus recommended for the disinfection of facilities."

Ooops!

Of course, once he was utterly ridiculed, he tried to walk it back and claim he was joking. Yeah, right!
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st October 2021 at 10:34 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 10:34 PM   #56
Warp12
Master Poster

You're right of course, he said to inject disinfectant.

https://www.info.gov.hk/info/sars/en/useofbleach.htm

"Bleach is a strong and effective disinfectant. Its active ingredient, sodium hypochlorite, denatures protein in micro-organisms and is therefore effective in killing bacteria, fungus and viruses. Household bleach works quickly and is widely available at a low cost. Diluted household bleach is thus recommended for the disinfection of facilities."

Ooops!
Huh? He never suggested that anyone personally inject themselves with bleach or any other disinfectant. What she said is a total fabrication.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st October 2021 at 10:36 PM.
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 10:37 PM   #57
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Huh? He never suggested that anyone inject themselves with bleach or any other disinfectant. What she said is a total fabrication.
Word for word quote from Trump at a press briefing, April 23, 2020

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful."
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st October 2021 at 10:38 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 10:42 PM   #58
Warp12
Master Poster

Word for word quote from Trump at a press briefing, April 23, 2020

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful."
How you, or Psaki, take that to mean he told people to "inject themselves with bleach", I'll never know. At least in her case, I'd like to think she knows it is a lie.
Old 1st October 2021, 10:56 PM   #59
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

How you, or Psaki, take that to mean he told people to "inject themselves with bleach", I'll never know. At least in her case, I'd like to think she knows it is a lie.
Ah, the old "he has to say it literally or he didn't say it" standard fallback position of the Trumpista.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:02 PM   #60
Warp12
Master Poster

Ah, the old "he has to say it literally or he didn't say it" standard fallback position of the Trumpista.
Bad argument. Literally nothing supports your position....or hers.

What she said is a lie. Plain and simple.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:16 PM   #61
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Time to recall Sarah Cooper's interpretation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvWhukh1dUg
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 11:18 PM   #62
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. You're just ignoring the obvious evidence... as usual, because it suits your preferred narrative. I know it, you know it and most people here know it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...ants-covid-19/

Snopes Fact Checkers rate the claim as "True"... that is good enough for me

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Time to recall Sarah Cooper's interpretation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvWhukh1dUg

Excellent!!! I hadn't seen that before.

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st October 2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:21 PM   #63
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

So what he literally said is somebody should inject disinfectant into covid patients to clean their lungs. That's much better, right?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 11:21 PM   #64
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Stupid people have used disinfectants to treat Covid. All some need is for an idiot to suggest the docs "look into" injecting disinfectants:

Quote:
Two men were hospitalised after drinking disinfectant in an effort to prevent Covid-19.

The patients, in Georgia, both of whom have a history of psychiatric problems, are expected to make a full recovery.

The following day, a man in his 30s, also from Atlanta, reportedly consumed a combination of cleaning product Pine-Sol, mouthwash, beer and painkillers. He has also since been discharged.
It's not clear whether Trump's stupid comment influenced the two men, but both cases happened a few days after he made the comment.

Quote:
Despite months of warnings that it’s unsafe, some Americans are still attempting to self-treat for coronavirus by drinking bleach products, prompting Georgia officials to send out a warning that doing so could be fatal.
Quote:
Gov. Brian Kemp’s office said Monday that the state Department of Public Health has received reports that people are using diluted chlorine dioxide to “treat” COVID-19.

“Chlorine dioxide is a bleach-like cleaning agent and, if ingested, can have severe, adverse health effects, including death,” Kemp’s office said in a press release.
https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgia...CZYI3NMJCSFZI/
Old 1st October 2021, 11:26 PM   #65
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. You're just ignoring the obvious evidence... as usual, because it suits your preferred narrative. I know it, you know it and most people here know it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...ants-covid-19/

Snopes Fact Checkers rate the claim as "True"... that is good enough for me

Excellent!!! I hadn't seen that before.
She boosted her career by making a number of videos. She's named Trump as her "head writer."
https://www.youtube.com/user/sarahcooper
Old 1st October 2021, 11:28 PM   #66
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
So what he literally said is somebody should inject disinfectant into covid patients to clean their lungs. That's much better, right?
People can't seem to admit Psaki's lie, or even admit that he didn't suggest anyone personally inject themselves with any disinfectant, much less bleach. For as much as some people talk about Trump's lies, you would think they could recognize one.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:44 PM   #67
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

After 5 years of Trump, we can certainly identify a lie! They usually start with "Sir".

Of course he was only being 'sarcastic' when he said that.
Quote:
"I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters just like you, just to see what would happen," Trump said on Friday during a bill signing for the coronavirus aid package. "I was asking a sarcastic and a very sarcastic question to the reporters in the room about disinfectant on the inside. But it does kill it and it would kill it on the hands, and it would make things much better."
No, he wasn't asking the reporters anything. He was looking directly at Dr. Birx and the Department of Homeland Security science official Bill Bryan when he said it. And he wasn't being 'sarcastic'.

Quote:
But the president's comments the day before — a lengthy musing that disinfectant or powerful light could be used to fight the virus — did not appear to be sarcasm; they were in part directed at a Homeland Security official.

Trump denied he was asking his experts to investigate the issue, and repeatedly reiterated that disinfectant on the hands and sun can damage or kill the coronavirus. He said he was urging his officials to investigate how "sun can help us."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tants-n1191991

Trump is a pathological liar.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:48 PM   #68
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
After 5 years of Trump, we can certainly identify a lie! They usually start with "Sir".
So then, you must agree that Psaki was telling a whopper in this case.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:04 AM   #69
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

People can't seem to admit Psaki's lie, or even admit that he didn't suggest anyone personally inject themselves with any disinfectant, much less bleach. For as much as some people talk about Trump's lies, you would think they could recognize one.
There is nothing to admit. Snopes rate the claim "True".

Unlike you, the rest of us don't ignore the clear and obvious evidence of our own eyes and ears because it suits us.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:07 AM   #70
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Snopes rated it as

Quote:
As Trump continued, he also offered his thoughts on how disinfectants could be brought inside the body “by injection.” While Trump noted that this method would have to be checked by doctors, he said it sounded interesting to him.

The remarks spurred widespread condemnation from health officials, who issued statements urging people not to inject or ingest cleaning products.
Quote:
In any case, attempts to deflect criticism of Trump’s remarks were rendered moot the next day, when the president essentially admitted discussing the injection of disinfectants to treat COVID-19 by claiming he said it “sarcastically” to prank reporters:

“I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters just like you, just to see what would happen. I was asking a sarcastic and a very sarcastic question to the reporters in the room about disinfectant on the inside. But it does kill it and it would kill it on the hands, and it would make things much better.”
And we know he was lying about it being a sarcastic question to reporters because he was looking directly at the two medical experts, not the reporters, when he said it.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:13 AM   #71
Warp12
Master Poster

Snopes did not say Trump suggested that people personally inject bleach or any disinfectant into their bodies. To imply that is another lie.

Unbelievable how people can't even admit when Psaki lies. Why not admit it? It's part of her job.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:20 AM   #72
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Snopes did not say Trump suggested that people personally inject bleach or any disinfectant into their bodies. To imply that is another lie.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:21 AM   #73
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

There is nothing to admit. Snopes rate the claim "True".

Unlike you, the rest of us don't ignore the clear and obvious evidence of our own eyes and ears because it suits us.
Don't believe those lying eyes and ears of yours!

Trump would never say something that stupid and then claim he was just being "sarcastic"! Oh, wait....

Quote:
Mr Trump said: "We're getting into Jimmy Carter territory and I never thought I'd live to see anything like that again. I lived through that time and it was not a good time, and we're pretty close ... I think by next month we will have surpassed the late, great Jimmy Carter."

The former president, then 89, is still alive.

Mr Trump later said on Twitter: "Of course I don't think Jimmy Carter is dead - saw him today on T.V. Just being sarcastic, but never thought he was alive as President, stiff!"
Quote:
At the 2016 press conference, he said he "hopes" that Russia has his political rival's emails. "They probably have her 33,000 emails that she lost and deleted because you'd see some beauties there," he said.

Asked on Fox & Friends the following day whether he was being sarcastic, Mr Trump said: "Of course. I'm being sarcastic."
Quote:
He told the National Association of Home Builders: "I call President Obama and Hillary Clinton the founders of Isis. They are the founders."

The candidate also told supporters at a rally that Mr Obama is the founder "in a true sense".

Asked by conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt whether he meant that Mr Obama had "created a vacuum" for the terror group to emerge, Mr Trump responded: "No, I meant he's the founder of Isis."

At an August 2016 rally in Pennsylvania, Mr Trump — who had also perpetuated the "birther" conspiracy carried by a wave of racism and Islamophobia — claimed he was "being sarcastic" about his remarks but "not that sarcastic, to be honest with you."

He later wrote on Twitter: "Ratings challenged @CNN reports so seriously that I call President Obama (and Clinton) "the founder" of ISIS, & MVP. THEY DON'T GET SARCASM?"

After misspelling Nobel four times as Noble:

Quote:
The president said: "Lawsuits should be brought against all, including the Fake News Organizations, to rectify this terrible injustice. For all of the great lawyers out there, do we have any takers? When will the Noble Committee Act? Better be fast!"

He later tweeted: "Does anybody get the meaning of what a so-called Noble (not Nobel) Prize is, especially as it pertains to Reporters and Journalists? Noble is defined as, 'having or showing fine personal qualities or high moral principles and ideals.' Does sarcasm ever work?"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9486966.html

Trump reminds me of someone else who falls back on the " it was sarcasm" defense excuse.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:21 AM   #74
Warp12
Master Poster

Talk about dancing around Psaki's lie. Wow.

Last edited by Warp12; 2nd October 2021 at 12:23 AM.
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:22 AM   #75
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Talking about dancing around Psaki's lie. Wow.

There's nothing to dance around, it wasn't a lie.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:24 AM   #76
Warp12
Master Poster

There's nothing to dance around, it wasn't a lie.
That in itself is a lie, lol.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:24 AM   #77
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Psaki never said Trump said for someone to personally inject bleach or disinfectants, either.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:29 AM   #78
Warp12
Master Poster

Psaki never said Trump said for someone to personally inject bleach or disinfectants, either.
"Suggest that people inject bleach" is what she said. Interpret that how you like, I suppose.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:34 AM   #79
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

.....and yet they did ingest bleach. Just like people died from taking his much touted hydroxychloroquine "the miracle drug".
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:35 AM   #80
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"Suggest that people inject bleach" is what she said. Interpret that how you like, I suppose.
You're wasting your time. No one here is gullible enough to fall for your gaslighting. We see and hear what Trump said at the time, and we know that he lied about it later.

Trump is a compulsive, pathological liar. He can't help himself - lying is the "go-to" for narcissists when they get cornered. Trump could literally be caught with his hand, in the actual cookie jar, with the cookie in his actual hand, in the act of pulling that hand out, and he would still deny he was taking it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics